Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
What's this 4thought TV stuff that's always on these days and why do they seem to always be preaching religion when i see them on the telly?

The one that was just on was advertised as "should parents smack their children", which promptly turned out to be the woman saying yes it is because the Bible says so while then showing her finding and reading a passage from it.

My highschool was full of that kind of bullshit.

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
I'm watching My Super Sweet 16 right now (VIVA, another episode along at half past). poo poo is ridiculous. The first venue they had (for £30,000 for the night) backed out, presumably on grounds of taste, and when they got The Savoy as a location she had to go check it out because she was worried her friends would think it was cheap. This is of course after she gets a tailor made dress and a jewellery to the tune of £20,000.

The party's just finishing up now and she's performing a professionally choreographed dance routine with a troupe of dancers. She didn't get the boy though! Haha.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

N3RDSTER posted:

I'm watching My Super Sweet 16 right now (VIVA, another episode along at half past). poo poo is ridiculous. The first venue they had (for £30,000 for the night) backed out, presumably on grounds of taste, and when they got The Savoy as a location she had to go check it out because she was worried her friends would think it was cheap. This is of course after she gets a tailor made dress and a jewellery to the tune of £20,000.

The party's just finishing up now and she's performing a professionally choreographed dance routine with a troupe of dancers. She didn't get the boy though! Haha.

Haha yeah i've been watching the same episode. It's kind of a guilty pleasure in a way. I watch these spoilt shits have a really cringeworthy party and I then bask in the fact that they will probably never get anywhere in life and have no real experiences at all. Aaah makes me warm and fuzzy inside. Although the amount of rage that builds up as I try to fathom at how shallow and stupid they are is rather a lot.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kin posted:

What's this 4thought TV stuff that's always on these days and why do they seem to always be preaching religion when i see them on the telly?

The one that was just on was advertised as "should parents smack their children", which promptly turned out to be the woman saying yes it is because the Bible says so while then showing her finding and reading a passage from it.

They seem to alternate points of view on a particular subject, I saw the opposite one to that (smacking is terrible and there's never any excuse for it) yesterday or the day before.

They should really show them back to back because if you just see one it comes off as being weirdly endorsed by 4.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Holy poo poo. The second episode of My Super Sweet Sixteen just took it to the next level just on the gifts alone. They talked to some guests before the reveal and they all suggested a car or some mentally expensive jewellery. Personally I thought a car would be pretty stupid for a 16-year-old seeing as it wouldn't be driven by her for another year. Then it happened. The parents bought her a flat, a fully furnished luxury flat of her own.

I don't even know.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Some people have more money than they should be allowed.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

N3RDSTER posted:

Holy poo poo. The second episode of My Super Sweet Sixteen just took it to the next level just on the gifts alone. They talked to some guests before the reveal and they all suggested a car or some mentally expensive jewellery. Personally I thought a car would be pretty stupid for a 16-year-old seeing as it wouldn't be driven by her for another year. Then it happened. The parents bought her a flat, a fully furnished luxury flat of her own.

I don't even know.

I'm not sure it's that unreasonable that they wanted her in a place of her own, so long as she's not in their house anymore I could see the appeal.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I still love Hustle to bits, but I thought this weeks mark was just too awesome to con.

Megaterium
May 5, 2009

Oh no! They're biting him, and stealing his pants!
My favorite episode of Super Sweet 16 UK is the daughter of an investment banker who wanted to have a pool party, but alas daddy didn't fill it up in time. She also had dance lessons with the actor then playing Billy Elliot, who she develops a bit of a crush on, and singing lessons to sing at the party. After failing miserably to woo Billy Elliot, she then gives a rendition of My Heart Will Go On that would make Celine Dione cringe. I think her ex turns up as well.

Overall, I had a great time sneering at a small child.

Keeping it relevant, embarrassing bodies tonight had one of the worst looking cases of a Staphylococcus aureus infection I've ever seen.

Also have people been watching Being Human this season, I haven't seen much discussion on it?

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Two people here watched Mad Dogs, both enjoyed it. What did I miss? I couldn't work out what I was meant to be watching for the most of it, other than 5 friends (who seem to absolutely hate each other more than I do my own enemies) do quite a bit of nothing.

"JP Goatier" was the highlight by far too much of a margin.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Watched the latest episode of Skins. Seems to be a complete lack of humour in this series so far (then again I always think of series 1 as a comparison because it's the best one).

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Kin posted:

They spend a week on a single subject, with a different persoon giving their views everyday.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Megaterium posted:

Also have people been watching Being Human this season, I haven't seen much discussion on it?

There is a thread for it here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383989&pagenumber=1

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Megaterium posted:

Keeping it relevant, embarrassing bodies tonight had one of the worst looking cases of a Staphylococcus aureus infection I've ever seen.

The original injury + bacterial infection + his compromised immune system = the perfect storm of horribleness.

I could almost smell it through the TV screen and that poor bugger had been living with it for 18 months. I couldn't have lived with it for 18 minutes!

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Kin posted:

i don't think you quite understand (not only a point of the show) but the effect of having well off popular middle class comedians reminding everybody that no, the bankers are actually cunts.
No, you're right. I actually don't understand that. I know bankers are money-grabbing cunts out to get everything they can. Is comedians constantly plucking this low-hanging fruit enriching my life in some way, or teaching me some deeper truth?

Topical satire can be more than just making the same joke over and over again.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

FreakyZoid posted:

No, you're right. I actually don't understand that. I know bankers are money-grabbing cunts out to get everything they can. Is comedians constantly plucking this low-hanging fruit enriching my life in some way, or teaching me some deeper truth?

Someone needs to talk bankers into the ground until no one cares anymore because no one can do much about it but the government, and politicians are only concerned with things that are old and retarded.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Alan BStard posted:

He is my favourite by far. I think the best thing about him is, that unlike the other Eggheads, he doesn't sit there and patronisingly explain how he eliminated all the other options, he simply gives the answer he thinks is right. Which is a breath of fresh air compared to the other wankers on that show.

I think people on Eggheads are always told by the floor people to stall for time to fill ~26 minutes. But yes, Kevin is best.

I've forgotten to apply to be on Pointless, bugger.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Metrication posted:

Watched the latest episode of Skins. Seems to be a complete lack of humour in this series so far (then again I always think of series 1 as a comparison because it's the best one).

It honestly feels like Skins is an utterly different show from series 1 and 2. It's not just the actors, the writing and general theme of the show also manages to be really different. That said in series 2 it was rather going off the deep end so I wish it'd just been canned altogether after that. Oh well.

And I watch The Chase too - loving hell that guy is the biggest man in the world. He's a human wall.
I also watch Million Pound Drop. I don't know if anyone else has seen the other series of it but it really feels that it's much easier this time around than it used to be. People are winning in every episode and contestants who are by and large pretty stupid are managing to walk away with a good £75k on average.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Jekub posted:

A while back I linked a short programme by Tom Wriggleworth on radio 4 regarding his experience with Virgin rail, I seem to remember a few people liked it. Anyway, it obviously went down well as he's got a series now, it's much the same sort of content but dealing with different organisations each show. it's on the second episode (sorry, forgot to link it last week) which is about power suppliers. Worth a listen in you have 30 minutes spare.

Tom Wrigglesworth's Open Letters

I remember this. It was great. Thanks for the link.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Tempo 119 posted:

Someone needs to talk bankers into the ground until no one cares anymore because no one can do much about it but the government, and politicians are only concerned with things that are old and retarded.

The problem is basic human greed. We're all guilty of it, we're all selfish.

So, governments and bankers and lobbyists and think-tanks are all in it for each other, trading favours and poo poo behind closed doors with people in the same social groups as them, without any scrutiny (although this started to change with FOIA laws). We can't really do anything about it other than educate people into making better decisions when they vote, and spreading the news about what goes on. And even then, whoever gets in will probably get drunk on power.

Luckily in this day and age with so many methods of communication, when something does happen, people find out about it. It's becoming harder and harder to get away with poo poo.

Edit: And I meant to say, 10Oclock Live was amazing this week. I really think they've got it nailed now. Listen to Mitchell was amazing, as was his interview with Simon Hughes. Who, by the way, did very very well under a lot of pressure to explain himself as a senior Lib Dem, and I think that he did a pretty decent job. Too many people criticise them without really understanding how things actually work (which is irritating, to say the least). I firmly believe that without them we'd be much worse off, but people don't seem to realise how coalitions work and what compromise is.

And was David's round-table discussion longer this week? And the interview, come to think about it. I realise things are timed in the show, but I wonder if somebody was telling him in his ear that he had more time. He really was on fire.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 12, 2011

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Any discussion about Super Sweet Sixteen has to include the girl who insisted in riding not a horse, but a zebra at her birthday party, and watching as her sole incomphrensible dream was slowly crushed before her eyes. Someone convinced her that this was not a good idea, and that they should just get a normal horse to look like a zebra, so they just literally painted on some black stripes (badly) onto a white horse. Which looked terrible and humourous, except Sweet Sixteen kept telling her parents "Well, you'll have to get me a zebra now...", with the glare of a child who has never been told "No". While everyone was quiely chuckling at how bad the horse looked, the girl was steaming and expecting that damned zebra.

I'm not a spoilt 16 year old girl, so I have never been in any position to understand this, but I don't get why they want to learn and perform dance routines flanked by professional dancers. Singing, I understand, but 'performing' a terrible routine being shown up by people who do it for a living just sounds like a recipe for embarrassment.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

dog days are over posted:

Oh my goodness I am so glad I'm not the only person who enjoys The Chase. I dunno why I do, I just.. do. I'm terrible at quiz shows and rarely get a question right, but it honestly feels so loving tense when the chaser just BARELY catches them in the final chase that I can't help but enjoy it.

I watch The Chase only because for some reason I loving love Mark Labbett. The black dude is ok but I can't stand the lady.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Taear posted:

It honestly feels like Skins is an utterly different show from series 1 and 2. It's not just the actors, the writing and general theme of the show also manages to be really different. That said in series 2 it was rather going off the deep end so I wish it'd just been canned altogether after that. Oh well.

To me it generally feels exhausted. There's nothing funny or clever about it anymore (unlike the first series), it's just descended into a soap basically.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

HUMAN FISH posted:

I watch The Chase only because for some reason I loving love Mark Labbett. The black dude is ok but I can't stand the lady.

I like it when he loses a chase and gets all stroppy and stomps off to 'have his tea' :)

I'd happily go for a drink with any (or all) of the Chasers. Bradley Walsh could come along too if he liked, as long as he promised not to say 'get in!' too often.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Caught Mad Dogs last night, It is going to be interesting to see how desperate things get for these unlucky middle aged men.

Dennis Nedry
Feb 13, 2008
oh geez
I started watching the new series of skins after only watching the first two series years ago. My main problem with it is that it's just incredibly dull and boring, I was tempted to turn last weeks episode off half way through but gave it the benifit of the doubt and persevered. This week I just wasn't bothered after the 30 minute mark.

In the first series I remember looking at all the characters and looking forward to an episode focused on each one but this new bunch I couldn't give a toss about any of them. At first I thought it was cause I'm older and can't relate but now I think it's down to piss poor flat writting.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
The problem with Skins (and it's always been a terrible, terrible show) is that everyone in it is a massive oval office.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

FreakyZoid posted:

It's not the same joke, it's the same topic: "Bankers are Cunts". With the added intent of making sure people don't put it to the back of their minds like they do most things of this nature in the way that the government (and bankers) would happily prefer so they can go on loving everyone over as if they did no wrong.

Kin fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 12, 2011

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Fat Turkey posted:

Any discussion about Super Sweet Sixteen has to include the girl who insisted in riding not a horse, but a zebra at her birthday party, and watching as her sole incomphrensible dream was slowly crushed before her eyes.

The best part about this is that I have firsthand experience that zebras are nasty bastards and it just wouldn't happen.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Psybro posted:

The best part about this is that I have firsthand experience that zebras are nasty bastards and it just wouldn't happen.

It may well serve her right, though, greedy little sod.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Should have just painted a horse.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Documentary on Blackadder on BBC2, what a nice surprise amongst usual saturday night trash tv

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Akuma posted:

They seem to alternate points of view on a particular subject, I saw the opposite one to that (smacking is terrible and there's never any excuse for it) yesterday or the day before.

They should really show them back to back because if you just see one it comes off as being weirdly endorsed by 4.

cloudchamber posted:

They spend a week on a single subject, with a different persoon giving their views everyday.

I just saw another one today on the same subject but with a different person and once again religion slipped into it. It wasn't as blatant as the one a few days ago but you could still tell that it was an ad for religion.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just finished watching this weeks Human Planet. The guy in Nepal butchering a body to feed to the vultures was amazing. It really has been a good series.

Skeksis
Feb 8, 2005
Mid Morning Matters with Alan Partridge is back, with quite possibly the best episode so far: http://www.youtube.com/user/fosters

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

c0burn posted:

The problem with Skins (and it's always been a terrible, terrible show) is that everyone in it is a massive oval office.

Plenty of people in the first two series of Skins are really nice and this comment pretty much shows you either never watch it or have never actually spoken to a real person.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Taear posted:

Plenty of people in the first two series of Skins are really nice and this comment pretty much shows you either never watch it or have never actually spoken to a real person.

Or that you hang around with too many cunts ;)

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
turned on to that lottery secret fortune thing half way through and it was basically numberwang with Nicky Knowlesy

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Flatscan posted:

Or that you hang around with too many cunts ;)

The only geninue cunts in Skins series 1/2 are Tony and Chris's Mum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

goatface posted:

Just finished watching this weeks Human Planet. The guy in Nepal butchering a body to feed to the vultures was amazing. It really has been a good series.

I thought the Himalayan cataract surgery section was one of the most upliftingly moving pieces of television, absolutely fantastic stuff.