Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

ExcessBLarg! posted:

A bunch of folks run DK28. The consensus is that it's not as polished/snappy as Eclair, but there's not too many problems with it. A lot of folks ran into GPS problems immediately after upgrading, but apparently if you get a GPS lock right before installing DK28 it should work fine.

There's a semi-credible rumor that Froyo will be officially released on the 21st, so it might be less of a hassle to wait. Although there were semi-semi-credible rumors that Froyo was going to be officially released "next week" since back in December, so I wouldn't put too much trust in it.

Also, xda folks recently figured out that some part of MMS delivery involves downloading a build-specific file from a Sprint web server, and have been querying all possible URLs to figure out when the most recent test builds have been generated:

So, Samsung is still actively generating Froyo builds as recently as yesterday, and Sprint is still testing them. Not sure what it says about the 21st being a hard deadline. It does make DK28 look a bit stale though.

Thanks. I passed this along. He's trying some ROM out now just for fun...but I don't remember which one. He's holding off on the Froyo for now though.

On an unrelated note - Anyone know how to get wifi tethering to work with CM7?

EDIT: Nevermind. WiFi Tether 3.0-pre3 seems to work just fine. I installed 2.0.6 and it gave me some error where my wifi couldn't restart at all. I had to reboot my phone in order to fix it.

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Casao posted:

It was a serious issue with CM7 on the N1 too, I dunno if it still is (god bless MIUI :smug: ) but yeah.
It is an issue but now that we have the Dewonkificator no one experiences it.

Dunno if wonk affects Desires but I'd have to assume it does.

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!

Solly posted:

What's this business about doing checksums for radios though, how does that work? I don't want to accidentally flash the wrong radio. I mean if I download the recommended radio from the oxygen thread and oxygen being a desire specific rom I assume that I will naturally have the correct radio file and nothing will go wrong. (hopefully)

The checksum verification is just an automatic thing done by the phone, it verifies that the file its about to flash isn't going to kill it. If you've downloaded a radio then just flash it, I guarantee that if the phone accepts the file then it won't brick it providing you don't do anything retarded in the process like rip the battery out.

The thread I linked to in an earlier post contains every Desire radio so far, probably just worth going with the newest version in there though :)

MrBishi fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 11, 2011

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Just got my hands on a HTC Wildfire (Telstra Australia rebrand) which I have rooted and installed the Wildfire T-Mod pack onto it. All seems to be pretty good with it, nice little phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Could someone running CM7 check something for me (even better if it's on an N1)? Add lockscreen toggle to the notification widget, and set your lockscreen for gestures (and make one for unlocking). Then disable your unlock sliders and run with it for a while. I've never enabled trackball or menu wake.

Eventually the lockscreen toggle stops functioning for me. It will either never engage the lockscreen or it always will, regardless of the setting in the toggle.

If it gets stuck off, you can reenable it by setting a security pattern (or PIN), then disabling it. If it gets stuck on, only a reboot will make it work again.

I'm trying to see if this is just me or reproduceable. I started with a clean wipe on the latest nightly, and it did it the previous nightly as well.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

teamdest posted:

this might be doable. a Nandroid is basically just an image of a disk. Some people have said that slight revisions in hardware may cause issues, but there is little harm in trying it, and just using Titanium if it has problems.

I pussed out. I was worried about wimax keys differing across devices, the slightly, slighly different versions of recovery I used to nandroid v. backup (clockwork 2.5 v 2.6). I just titanium backup restored everything. It worked well enough. I thought it would remember my desktop shortcuts and widget placement, but it got me 90% the way there with minimal effort.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MrBishi posted:

GSM here too. Maybe I'll do a nandroid and try the latest CM7 tonight, things might have got better since I last tried.

The bug still exists on the N1 and it's most likely attributed to the N1's dual microphone set up. The bug is lovingly called the "wonked" and someone on XDA has come up with an app called Dewonkifier that keeps the mic on the active device list that prevents the bug from happening. Despite continual mic pinging it hasn't effected my battery life at all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The bug still exists on the N1 and it's most likely attributed to the N1's dual microphone set up. The bug is lovingly called the "wonked" and someone on XDA has come up with an app called Dewonkifier that keeps the mic on the active device list that prevents the bug from happening. Despite continual mic pinging it hasn't effected my battery life at all.

Ahem... it's Dewonkificator. The Dewonkifier is obviously some cheap Chinese patent-infringing knockoff thankyouverymuch.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Ahem... it's Dewonkificator. The Dewonkifier is obviously some cheap Chinese patent-infringing knockoff thankyouverymuch.

^^^ What he said. Speaking of, is it working for you? I've received exactly 0 calls since installing it 3 days ago and I'm too lazy to actually test it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

^^^ What he said. Speaking of, is it working for you? I've received exactly 0 calls since installing it 3 days ago and I'm too lazy to actually test it.
Works perfectly for me. I seldom get calls but then I went to CM7 over the weekend and got about six calls this week, all perfect.

I wish I could solve this lockscreen problem though, it's really the only problem I'm having at all.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
I used unrevoked to root my EVO, but I haven't done any custom roms or anything like that, just removed some of the Sprint crap from my phone. What would happen if I accepted an OTA update? I get notices for them from time to time but I'm too scared to accept them

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

helsabot posted:

I used unrevoked to root my EVO, but I haven't done any custom roms or anything like that, just removed some of the Sprint crap from my phone. What would happen if I accepted an OTA update? I get notices for them from time to time but I'm too scared to accept them

If during the root process you flashed a different recovery (or is it bootloader? I get fuzzy on that), signed updates will probably just fail to install. If you haven't, and you install an official update, you'll lose root.

Shortly after an official update is released, the folks over at XDA tear it apart and make it available in the form of an update.zip that you can flash manually to get the update while maintaining root access. That's the way to go.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

I wish I could solve this lockscreen problem though, it's really the only problem I'm having at all.

Which issue is that?

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
http://www.peteralfonso.com/2011/02/download-stock-rooted-gingerbread.html

Stock Gingerbread ROM for Droid is out. Never bothered with CM7 since I use GPS pretty regularly but so far I've been liking this a lot.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Could someone running CM7 check something for me (even better if it's on an N1)? Add lockscreen toggle to the notification widget, and set your lockscreen for gestures (and make one for unlocking). Then disable your unlock sliders and run with it for a while. I've never enabled trackball or menu wake.

Eventually the lockscreen toggle stops functioning for me. It will either never engage the lockscreen or it always will, regardless of the setting in the toggle.

If it gets stuck off, you can reenable it by setting a security pattern (or PIN), then disabling it. If it gets stuck on, only a reboot will make it work again.

I'm trying to see if this is just me or reproduceable. I started with a clean wipe on the latest nightly, and it did it the previous nightly as well.

I am running CM7 on my Moto Droid. I have sliders turned off and gestures on (but none that only unlock the phone). When I toggled off the lockscreen using the widget bar in the notification slider, it stopped engaging after a while. I restarted my phone and haven't bothered turning off the lockscreen again after that incident.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I just got a MyTouch 4G and was able to get temporary root using Visionary. I'm able to run Rom Manager and was able to flash Clockwork recovery, but I can't get into Clockwork Recovery nor can I do a nandroid backup.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
You need permanent root.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Frinky posted:

http://www.peteralfonso.com/2011/02/download-stock-rooted-gingerbread.html

Stock Gingerbread ROM for Droid is out. Never bothered with CM7 since I use GPS pretty regularly but so far I've been liking this a lot.

Are you encountering any issues? I'm thinking about flashing to this over the weekend.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Which issue is that?

LastInLine posted:

This one...

FACKER posted:

I am running CM7 on my Moto Droid. I have sliders turned off and gestures on (but none that only unlock the phone). When I toggled off the lockscreen using the widget bar in the notification slider, it stopped engaging after a while. I restarted my phone and haven't bothered turning off the lockscreen again after that incident.

...that apparently is an actual bug, not a me thing. Thanks for checking, FACKER, I really appreciate it. That's exactly the behavior I'm getting. It's so hard to know whether you're restoring a bad setting with Titanium or if it's actually something not working when you're on these pre-release nightlies.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So, Samsung is still actively generating Froyo builds as recently as yesterday, and Sprint is still testing them. Not sure what it says about the 21st being a hard deadline. It does make DK28 look a bit stale though.

God drat. I was making jokes about the 21st being "the next date to watch go by" but looking at those revision dates (February loving 9th?) I'm thinking there's no way in christshitting hell the 21st is going to be the day. They revise, then test, then revise, etc. If the most recent revision is (reportedly) three goddamn days ago then no, the 21st won't be an update rollout. It's not like Sprintsung are just going to ring the bell on the 21st and say "ok, today's build is final." If they stop making revisions then it means they're making headway in testing and are sticking with a build. All these revisions are just "gently caress, we found another problem, got to patch it out, here's an incremented build to go back to testing on."

My faith remains unmoved in Samsung's ability to hold that 2/21 date. I'm leery about trying the DK28-based ROMs but I am getting sick and tired of the lovely text editing capabilities, the lack of availability of more and more apps, the lack of chrome2phone and a2sd, etc. If you've had Froyo for a while, you may have forgotten that there was no little tab on the cursor when typing text - you had to keep trying to position it with your finger if you made a mistake or wanted to add something in.

Anyway, I'm considering installing the Bonsai ROM on my Epic. Has anyone had any experience with this one?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
My girlfriend's G1 is acting wonky, what is the best ROM to use for it now? I know I installed something other than cyanogen's 6.1 awhile ago but can't remember the name of the ROM.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Running CM7 on my Evo and it reboots several times a day on its own right now. I keep updating the nightlies hoping that'll fix it, but so far no dice. Anyone else having this problem?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Duckman2008 posted:

Running CM7 on my Evo and it reboots several times a day on its own right now. I keep updating the nightlies hoping that'll fix it, but so far no dice. Anyone else having this problem?

I had this problem with MIUI's latest kernel until I changed the wifi sleep policy to 'never' and then the reboots stopped.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Are you encountering any issues? I'm thinking about flashing to this over the weekend.

I tossed this (http://www.peteralfonso.com/) on last night and have been using it. I came from CM7 nightly builds which were clean and fancy looking but I always had an issue with the launchers crashing when coming out of applications. I like that the launcher in this stock build doesn't require me to wait 5 seconds to see all my icons when I exit Baseball Super Stars 2011 or what ever.

There's nothing fancy about it, it just looks sleek and works well.

I did notice this morning that my GPS icon was blinking at the top of my notification bar. The Circle with the lines were there and the middle of it would blink with a solid circle. I did a simple CAPS + ALT + DEL and it went away. If I find any thing flaky I'll probably nandroid back to my CM7 build and find another launcher.

EDIT:

Rolling back to CM7. This build is way to flaky for my taste.

n0manarmy fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 12, 2011

opensob
Jul 16, 2005

I am down with brown

ZShakespeare posted:

You need permanent root.

Here's a how-to: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=858996

Visionary will give you temproot but you cannot make any permanent changes to the /system partition or recovery until you permaroot.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
I used Unrevoked 1-click on my HTC Evo, lost my Evo (thought it to be stolen), had it replaced. Anyways, it was found and returned to me so I am going to give it (the rooted Evo) to my fiancée. She wants to have it activated today and I'm wondering if I need to worry about it being rooted. And if there is a worry, is there an easy way to reverse it and/or simply format and restore the phone to its original state?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

opensob posted:

Here's a how-to: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=858996

Visionary will give you temproot but you cannot make any permanent changes to the /system partition or recovery until you permaroot.

Thanks. (ZShakespeare too.) I went and followed that guide last night. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I had to manually reinstall some of my apps from the Market, but aside from that everything works fine. The new keyboard is great and text fields (browser URL bar especially) are way more responsive. (coming from CM1.6.2)

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Has anyone been able to overclock their Nook Color? I tried to do it once, and something got boinked so I had to restore from a backup (REMEMBER TO BACKUP EVERYONE). I autonooted it, and then upgraded it to 1.1, but can't overclock it. What .zips have you guys used?

Edit -- Nevermind, solved my problem, used the kernel-1100mhz-omap3630.zip file (very easy to find on Google) and am now running up to 1.1 GHz. Loving my Nook so far.

Moogs fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 12, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KarmaticStylee posted:

I used Unrevoked 1-click on my HTC Evo, lost my Evo (thought it to be stolen), had it replaced. Anyways, it was found and returned to me so I am going to give it (the rooted Evo) to my fiancée. She wants to have it activated today and I'm wondering if I need to worry about it being rooted. And if there is a worry, is there an easy way to reverse it and/or simply format and restore the phone to its original state?

Did you have it replaced under insurance? If so, the old one now has a bad ESN and Sprint will never activate it again. Rooting doesn't matter, it's now only valuable as a parts and/or reflashed-to-prepaid phone.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I flashed this last night, and it seems pretty okay. Like Frinky said, I had to manually reinstall some apps (notably Newsrob and Facebook) but that really wasn't a huge deal. The only thing I have seen is that it takes a couple seconds for the screen to actually turn on when I press the power button to wake the phone up. This is kind of annoying if you use your phone as a watch, having to wait a couple seconds for the screen to turn on to just check the time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So I got really lucky (in a way) and basically i have a Samsung Vibrant to use an iPod Touch (mine is about to die). I have it rooted, just curious if anyone has any ROMs they would recommend?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

calandryll posted:

My girlfriend's G1 is acting wonky, what is the best ROM to use for it now? I know I installed something other than cyanogen's 6.1 awhile ago but can't remember the name of the ROM.

CM6.1 is the best available IMO - just make sure you flash the new radio as this frees up some memory and improves performance immensely (its a bit of a process but well worth it, check XDA).

What exactly is being wonky about it?

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

n0manarmy et. al.: If you are running a CM7 nightly on Droid (or CM6 also, I think) and are having trouble with launcher redraws go to Settings-> CM Settings-> Performance-> and check "Lock Home in Memory"

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Duckman2008 posted:

So I got really lucky (in a way) and basically i have a Samsung Vibrant to use an iPod Touch (mine is about to die). I have it rooted, just curious if anyone has any ROMs they would recommend?
Bionix-V is what I used the couple of days I had a Vibrant. It's based on 2.2 but themed to look like Gingerbread and runs much better than stock.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Driving me crazy, I'm trying to root my desire and everytime I run the one click software everything works until I get the error "failed to unlock nand flash?".

I don't even know what that means :(

edit: I think its because I upgraded the OS a couple days ago (I just needed the install to SD option) and thats why its not working now. Whats the easiest way to downgrade?

JammyLammy fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 13, 2011

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Sorry for the double posts but I'm lost :( I have a HTC Desire

In the bootscreen it says:
BRAVOC DVT2 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT - 1.06.0000
MICROP - 051e
TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101
RADIO - 2.15.00.11.16
DEC 22 2010 16:16:39

Software Information:
Android version

Baseband version

Kernel version
2.6.32.21-g7a207a4
htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

Build umber
2.11.573.5 CL325935

Software number

Now I'm assuming that I have to downgrade before I can root. But in order to downgrade I need to make a goldcard, right? I can't really seem to find a clear set of instructions for this though =/

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

JammyLammy posted:

BRAVOC DVT2 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT - 1.06.0000
MICROP - 051e
TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101
RADIO - 2.15.00.11.16

Software Information:
Android version

Baseband version

Kernel version
2.6.32.21-g7a207a4
htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

Build umber
2.11.573.5 CL325935

Software number

Now I'm assuming that I have to downgrade before I can root. But in order to downgrade I need to make a goldcard, right? I can't really seem to find a clear set of instructions for this though =/

http://unrevoked.com/#desire

Nanami Madobe
May 23, 2008

I love animal porn! So F* you if you don't accept that!
Is the stuff in the OP for the Evo 4G still relevant? I had to exchange a broken one with a new one that has hardware version 0003, hboot version 2.02, baseband version 2.15.00.09.01, and software number 3.30.651.1. Would it be okay if I tried unrevoked first and then that manual method if it fails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JammyLammy posted:

BRAVOC DVT2 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT - 1.06.0000
MICROP - 051e
TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101
RADIO - 2.15.00.11.16

Software Information:
Android version

Baseband version

Kernel version
2.6.32.21-g7a207a4
htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

Build umber
2.11.573.5 CL325935

Software number

You have an HTC Desire CDMA. That requires different ROMs and may need to be rooted in a slightly different way.