Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Moose Bigelow posted:

Wahoo McDaniel :colbert:

That is why I said probably. You could argue the fame qualifications of both. Ernie Ladd achieving fame in the WWWF gives him a more lasting impression to someone like me, since I grew up in the NY Metro Area and he's one of the best remembered stars to people like my father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

There is also a long history of NFL players doing pro wrestling during the off season. Ernie Ladd is probably the most famous as he ended up being a huge star in professional wrestling and ended up doing it full time.

Nevermind that poo poo...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It's comical that you think this is one of the reasons they WCW was winning the ratings war. Because..

Nitro's rating the night after Bash at the Beach 98: 4.5 (.3 less than the previous week)
Raw's rating the night after Bash at the Beach 98: 4.7 (.7 higher than the previous week)

Big surprise that one of the worst matches of all time did not result in any new wrestling fans. I know I'm shocked.

Non-wrestling fans who tuned in because of Malone and Rodman probably thought what they were watching was a joke and didn't watch another show. It did absolutely nothing to stop WCW's slide and WWF's momentum. Mike Tyson at WM14, this wasn't.

WCW didn't need to pay celebrities millions of dollars to be in a main event to generate a big buyrate. If only a little common sense was used, a hyped Hogan vs Goldberg PPV main event could have drawn just as big of a buyrate and with more long term gain. And by more, i mean any long term gain.

Getting a big buyrate from Malone and Rodman also led to the Leno debacle which was kind of the beginning of the end.

I was actually replying to your second part, comparing WCW then to TNA, which was just dumb and fanboyish but you're wrong about all this stuff too so whatever.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I was watching a video called The Top 10 WWE Pyro Fails or whatever its called:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLyplI11jzc

And it brought up a question (other than why do they pyro guys keep trying to kill The Undertaker) about Jeff Hardy. The video says Hardy getting blasted with his own pyro was a setup so I assume it was during some sort of angle. What happened that led up to that bit?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I was watching a video called The Top 10 WWE Pyro Fails or whatever its called:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLyplI11jzc

And it brought up a question (other than why do they pyro guys keep trying to kill The Undertaker) about Jeff Hardy. The video says Hardy getting blasted with his own pyro was a setup so I assume it was during some sort of angle. What happened that led up to that bit?

His dog died and other incidents. It was revealed to be Matt.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

His dog died and other incidents. It was revealed to be Matt.

As bad as I figured it'd be. Thanks.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Here's an interesting reversal of the celebrity question:

In 1889 William Muldoon the undefeated Greco Roman Wrestling champion trained John Sullivan for his championship 75 round bare knuckle boxing fight against Jake Kilrain. Muldoon training Sullivan drew a lot of interest and legitimacy for Sullivan in that fight. I imagine Muldoon did some forms of celebrity cross overs in wrestling as well since by that time many matches were worked and he did open challenges.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

MassRayPer posted:

This wasn't just a big buyrate. It was the most PPV buys WCW ever did outside of a Starrcade. And the only two Starrcades with more buys are 97 and 98. Their third biggest number of all time. This is the definition of why you use celebrities, to make more money than your wrestlers would on their own. Wrestling isn't about big ratings or more fans, it is translating the most number of people into paying customers.

When the ratings are going down and your competition is starting to become more popular, I'd think the purpose of why you'd use celebrities or indeed why you'd do anything is to gain fans. Having one of the best buyrates isn't going to mean much if your viewership is steadily declining and you'll be out of business in 3 years. WWF gained a TON of fans from Tyson. That was a brilliant use of a celebrity. (Using a celebrity not as a main attraction, but as a way to promote and get outsiders to care about your stars) Rodman and Malone, not so much.

quote:

The buyrate from Malone and Rodman had nothing to do with Leno and if you knew anything about how the PPV business works you'd know that. WCW didn't know the buyrate for Bash at the Beach until after Leno's match. If you think Leno wasn't planned well before Bash at the Beach happened you are very naive.

Okay, then the media attention caused by Malone and Rodman may have lead to Bischoff thinking a huge program with Jay Leno was a good idea, not the buyrate. Also, as Eric says in his book, Leno wasn't planned well before Bash at the Beach. The idea came about the week of Bash at the Beach. Perhaps you shouldn't be so sure of yourself.

FishBulb posted:

I was actually replying to your second part, comparing WCW then to TNA, which was just dumb and fanboyish but you're wrong about all this stuff too so whatever.

WCW then was a lot better than TNA now. But WWF then was also a million times better than WWE now. I was only comparing 1998 WCW-WWF to 2011 TNA-WWE in the vast difference of quality between the two. I wasn't saying WCW then was just as bad as TNA now, god no.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

When the ratings are going down and your competition is starting to become more popular, I'd think the purpose of why you'd use celebrities or indeed why you'd do anything is to gain fans. Having one of the best buyrates isn't going to mean much if your viewership is steadily declining and you'll be out of business in 3 years. WWF gained a TON of fans from Tyson. That was a brilliant use of a celebrity. (Using a celebrity not as a main attraction, but as a way to promote and get outsiders to care about your stars) Rodman and Malone, not so much.

Okay, then the media attention caused by Malone and Rodman may have lead to Bischoff thinking a huge program with Jay Leno was a good idea, not the buyrate. Also, as Eric says in his book, Leno wasn't planned well before Bash at the Beach. The idea came about the week of Bash at the Beach. Perhaps you shouldn't be so sure of yourself.

WCW then was a lot better than TNA now. But WWF then was also a million times better than WWE now. I was only comparing 1998 WCW-WWF to 2011 TNA-WWE in the vast difference of quality between the two. I wasn't saying WCW then was just as bad as TNA now, god no.

This is completely idiotic. If you are doing ratings in the 4s, YOU ARE A VERY SUCCESSFUL COMPANY! Ditto when you do your second biggest PPV ever (at the time.) You should not be thinking of ratings. This is the exact mentality that ran WCW out of business. They got desperate for ratings as the WWF pulled away from them and started giving poo poo away for free.

There is literally nothing WCW could have done in the summer of 1998 to stop the WWF from winning the ratings war. They had Steve Austin. They had the hot revolutionary product. The hotter product with the hottest star is always going to do well. When you are doing huge business, you should worry about your own affairs. WCW's ratings didn't fall apart until after they did poo poo like the Finger Poke of Doom. Rodman and Malone had nothing to do with it. Claiming it did is completely ignorant of WCW's history since Rodman had been used to tremendous success before, and tremendous success in 1998.

The build up to Wrestlemania X7 saw Raw do a half point lower rating on average in March than they did in January for the Rumble build up. Can this be pointed to as evidence the X7 build was a failure? No. The ratings don't loving matter. They don't. They do somewhat matter now that WWE's business is based more on TV rights fees than PPV, but during the Monday Night Wars this was not the case.

Bischoff's book is full of lies and inaccuracies so I would take it with a dozen grains of salt.

In the end pointing to a show doing a slightly lower but still giant rating against a show that is completely on fire and saying the angle didn't work or was a bad idea long term is a joke. It shows a complete lack of understanding of what killed WCW, and how the wrestling business operates.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

MassRayPer posted:

In the end pointing to a show doing a slightly lower but still giant rating against a show that is completely on fire and saying the angle didn't work or was a bad idea long term is a joke. It shows a complete lack of understanding of what killed WCW, and how the wrestling business operates.

Exactly.

Analogy:
-2 wrestlers put on a fantastic match. It is hugely over with fans and critics, the crowd is on fire.
-Immediately afterwards, 2 wrestlers put on the match of their careers, 5 stars across the board, universally accepted as the best match on the card, if not the year.

You don't say match A was a bad match just because it went on before another amazing match. In the same way, you can't say WCW's angle/show "didn't work" because WWF's were blazing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dissolusion posted:

Exactly.

Analogy:
-2 wrestlers put on a fantastic match. It is hugely over with fans and critics, the crowd is on fire.
-Immediately afterwards, 2 wrestlers put on the match of their careers, 5 stars across the board, universally accepted as the best match on the card, if not the year.

You don't say match A was a bad match just because it went on before another amazing match. In the same way, you can't say WCW's angle/show "didn't work" because WWF's were blazing.

Especially in this case because the Malone stuff got way over. It helped make DDP a bigger star and it entertained the poo poo out of live fans. DDP went from super over mid carder to super over main eventer during the summer of 98 and Karl Malone was part of the reason for that. You just had Steve Austin on the other channel being even more over.

In a weird way, the Karl Malone storyline may have been the most right WCW got anything in 1998. It did huge business, it got over live and it helped make a new star.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

That is why I said probably. You could argue the fame qualifications of both. Ernie Ladd achieving fame in the WWWF gives him a more lasting impression to someone like me, since I grew up in the NY Metro Area and he's one of the best remembered stars to people like my father.

The opposite is true where I grew up in NC - fans my dad's age still remember and love Wahoo, unless they had the misfortune of picking a bar fight with him.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

I read about this in the TNA thread and am scared that I will regret the answer for what it will do to my mind, but here goes.

Apparently Eddie and Rey did some cuckolding angle.

Someone want to shove the details into my brain?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Blankman posted:

I read about this in the TNA thread and am scared that I will regret the answer for what it will do to my mind, but here goes.

Rey's son Dominic was revealed to have been fathered by Eddie.

Eddie and Rey were tag champs in 2005 and had a storyline where Eddie was increasingly jealous of Rey, who beat him at WM in a Friendly Compeitition Match. They teased it for soooooo long (Eddie and Rey would interfere in each other's matches trying to help but "accidentally" mess up). Eventually Eddie turned on Rey during their tag match, as is en vogue in the WWE. Eddie coerced Rey into yet another rematch with the stipulation that Eddie would reveal his Pop Secret unless Rey could beat him again. Rey did but Eddie lied and they had a laddermatch at Summerslam for custody of Dominic, Which Rey won after Vickie Guerrero made the first of what would turn out to be a lifetime of inferences.

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 13, 2011

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Web Jew.0 posted:

Which Rey won after Vickie Guerrero made the first of what would turn out to be a lifetime of inferences.

"From what I have gleaned from this situation, it is probably best if I do not take care of another child"

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

Web Jew.0 posted:

Rey's son Dominic was revealed to have been fathered by Eddie.

Clearly, my mind successfully helped flush that from my brain. Here's to another six years of that.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Blankman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkbj5Lkcodo

There was also a really creepy segment where Eddie confronted Dominic on a playground or something and promised to tell him a "special bedtime story." Track down the custody of Dominic ladder match if you can because it's loving hilarious.

aaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha the best part of that video is "having sex with a lot of different mamacitas... you know what I'm talkin' about" followed IMMEDIATELY by the "TV PG" ratings box in the upper corner.

Sugar Blaster fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 13, 2011

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

Alberto Del Rio will be doing something similar with Rey within the year.

"NO ES TU PAPA, MIJO!"

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Yes, Alberto is an honest man though so they'll just give him the kids.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

The Croc posted:

"Their names...their names are...DELLLLL RIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!...but YOU ALREADY KNEW THAT!"

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Also, the children would have a brighter future growing up within the Mexican aristocracy.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

The Croc posted:

With Ricardo as the Manny.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

May as well stick this here:

Can we have the Gentleman's Club back? CineD and TVIV both now have off-topic general chat threads.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
The last thing we need is a thread almost entirely devoted to Wrestlehutters verbally flailing about, trying to be funny.

edit: you know it's what the thread would devolve into.

Save Russian Jews fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 14, 2011

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

May as well stick this here:

Can we have the Gentleman's Club back? CineD and TVIV both now have off-topic general chat threads.

we have IRC for that

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

There already is an off-topic thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386575

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

LividLiquid posted:

No.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Why has WWE completely transformed most of their PPV lineup to just be "Name of Match?"

Were the old names just tired and old or has it had effect on the buyrates (for better or for worse)?

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

I don't know WHY they did it beyond thinking "hey this once in a while special match draws so let's homogenize all of them! Surely this won't fail" and then the MITB PPV did utterly dismal numbers (which is indicative of their buyrates in general) so... good call on their part.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, buys were down, so they decided to ignore WHY gimmick matches draw, and just theme all the pay-per-views. It helps a little for stuff like the Chamber or HITC, but eventually the novelty wore off and most of the non-major shows are down.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it's kinda funny in a sad way that the one gimmick ppv TNA has is their most consistently successful one (Lockdown).

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Jack Krauser posted:

Why has WWE completely transformed most of their PPV lineup to just be "Name of Match?"

Were the old names just tired and old or has it had effect on the buyrates (for better or for worse)?

If it's any consolation "Herr Krauser", I did find out this week that Elimination Chamber is still called No Way Out in Germany (for relatively obvious reasons)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Quick question, from memory was last night's Raw the first one in a LOOOOONG time where they opened with pyro?

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Okay, I'm not making up the segment where King leaves the announce table to implicate JR as the person who ran over Austin, am I?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sugar Blaster posted:

Okay, I'm not making up the segment where King leaves the announce table to implicate JR as the person who ran over Austin, am I?

Nope, I'm almost entirely positive there was an episode where he tells JR he has to go see someone or do something or go to the bathroom or something, then is filmed backstage implicating JR in the hit and run.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Sugar Blaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkbj5Lkcodo

There was also a really creepy segment where Eddie confronted Dominic on a playground or something and promised to tell him a "special bedtime story." Track down the custody of Dominic ladder match if you can because it's loving hilarious.

aaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha the best part of that video is "having sex with a lot of different mamacitas... you know what I'm talkin' about" followed IMMEDIATELY by the "TV PG" ratings box in the upper corner.

Good lord, it never hit me before but Eddie sounded absolutely terrible there.

I had read after the custody of Dominic stuff Dominic actually had to go into therapy or something for a while. Is that true?

Also what was the deal with Kurt Angle suddenly wearing mouth guards to the ring circa 2006?

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Sugar Blaster posted:

Nope, I remember the scene of him backstage getting caught.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

I loving found it! I thought it was after Stone Cold returned and was interrogating people, but it was actually the night after Survivor Series when the cops were asking questions. What a productive way to spend an hour on a Tuesday afternoon that was!

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=FJK419FA

1:10:20

"JR. Jim Ross. R-O-S-S. Two s's in 'Ross'."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

LightsGameraAction posted:

Also what was the deal with Kurt Angle suddenly wearing mouth guards to the ring circa 2006?

Off the top of my head it was for the most obvious reason - he had a tooth or teeth knocked out during a match and has worn it ever since. Bit fuzzy on the details, though.