Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Gorha
Jul 27, 2005

Have a nice day.
I think this fits here. Everyone likes Star Wars art!

Edit: Because the description is important;

"I drew it for a contest that a friend was having. It was a festival, where you dressed up, and decorated your cyber pets. Well, someone took it on a tangent and drew a horse as Luke Skywalker. I took it a step further and drew Obi Wan and Darth Maul as horses. It took me quite a while to get them positioned right... not to mention getting the horse to look like Darth Maul. I doodled and sketched at work for a couple of days before I had it. But....if you look, poor Obi Wan is doomed. From the way I have him positioned, he can't come around to block the other end of Darth Maul's lightsaber. He's a goner. :o("

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Also produced by George Lucas.

Post-divorce Jorge too, though Jim Henson was around to keep him from making an rear end of himself.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 12, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Casimir Radon posted:

Post-divorce Jorge too, though Jim Henson was around to keep him from making an rear end of himself.

Well he was the producer, not the director. Which means he just threw a lot of money at it and got his name on the cover to sell more copies.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well he was the producer, not the director. Which means he just threw a lot of money at it and got his name on the cover to sell more copies.
ILM did do a bunch of the work on it. Somehow I like to think Jorge invented this part.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Mr.Gorha posted:

I think this fits here. Everyone likes Star Wars art!

Edit: Because the description is important;

To make up for that,

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mister Roboto posted:

To make up for that,

No, it really doesn't.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Better?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

To make up for that,

Is that Boba Fett's lunchbox?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I think there's a head in there.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Biplane posted:

Its his other helmet, the other one with custom space banana sticker decals on it.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Biplane posted:

To be specific, a psychic decapitated naked space lady head.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
gently caress the haters, that comic was mad fun to read!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fett in comics is silly enough to be enjoyable, god help us when he translates to written word though.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

NeonTurtle posted:

Rule 2187: If something is related to George Lucas, no matter how tangentially, it must reference the movie THX 1138 at some point.

I'll agree to that.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

GodlessCommie posted:

But the ending is the best! It was all a dream!

While I had my problems with those episodes, that definitely was not the way I read that ending. Treating the whole thing as similar to Luke's cave vision on Dagobah (as the producer said in the commentary) makes a lot of it easier to digest. It was still all over the place and definitely not one of the best story arcs though.

Epi Lepi posted:

My first taste of Star Wars was the dance number in the special edition of ROTJ. The combination of fear and horror that Sy Snootles instilled in 9 year old me kept me from trying the series again for years

Just wait a few years, and a whole new generation of kids will have nightmares of that red-lipped proboscis coming at them in 3-D!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Who knew that the prequels were so topical!

http://www.njoe.com/2011/02/11/different-galaxies-same-old-stuff-a-change-coming-2/#more-8746

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Hey, Geeky Star Wars Loser Thread,

I made this just for my girlfriend you.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Hey, Geeky Star Wars Loser Thread,

I made this just for my girlfriend you.

Awesome.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

I wish I had some versions of the Star Wars Valentines without the watermark so I can hand them out tomorrow.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I FINALLY got KOTOR to work on my Mac. It took me a long time of searching for patches, but I played five hours straight (after an hour or so of it lagging and randomly crashing) tonight.

So playing KotOR along with reading an X-Wing book should make the rest of February very Star Wars-friendly.

It makes me wish I could get a game of Star Wars RPG (yes, I own it. And a shitload of the other books despite rarely having used them) going.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Which one? The d6 one, Star Wars Saga Edition, or one of the less-commonly-used variants?

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

I wish I had some versions of the Star Wars Valentines without the watermark so I can hand them out tomorrow.

If you have archives, you can see the original thread (without watermarks) here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1791965

While I was looking I also found the Indiana Jones Valentine thread from the same year:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1789494

And this thing:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1812825

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

ZeeToo posted:

Which one? The d6 one, Star Wars Saga Edition, or one of the less-commonly-used variants?

Pre-Saga Edition d20.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm with you on the OT Star Wars RPG, especially if it was done open world style.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel

mojo1701a posted:

Pre-Saga Edition d20.

Played a couple games with it, ended up getting dropped from our list. Jedi didn't party well with non-Jedi, and a single crit roll could kill almost and character or NPC.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Last Friday, I saw Lohengrin at the Chicago Civic Opera House. As I was watching it, I came to the conclusion that the Prequel Trilogy would work so much better if you present it as a classic opera. Hell, make all six films into operas while you were at it. Call it the Skywalker Cycle.

Of course, there's no way to mass market opera, so I guess it won't happen.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mahoshonen posted:

Last Friday, I saw Lohengrin at the Chicago Civic Opera House. As I was watching it, I came to the conclusion that the Prequel Trilogy would work so much better if you present it as a classic opera. Hell, make all six films into operas while you were at it. Call it the Skywalker Cycle.

Of course, there's no way to mass market opera, so I guess it won't happen.

Fat aging opera stars being winched everywhere to simulate a flippy jumpy prequal style lightsaber fight made me grin.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm with you on the OT Star Wars RPG, especially if it was done open world style.

Yeah, I didn't really try to take part of any established events. Any adventures I did were purely just normal D&D-type games, but using the Star Wars galaxy as a back-drop.

KaosFactor posted:

Played a couple games with it, ended up getting dropped from our list. Jedi didn't party well with non-Jedi, and a single crit roll could kill almost and character or NPC.

I think the Jedi thing was probably one of the reasons why it never got off the ground. A Jedi is powerful, but if you're role-playing properly, then they're boring.

I tried to mitigate that somewhat by putting it in the post-Return of the Jedi era, where Jedi were freer to explore their own path and didn't have to really take orders as much.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I always wanted to play though a game of the RPG; so many entries on Wookiepedia are sourced from sourcebooks for the games, but never had anyone to play it with :smith:

Started reading through Dark Empire yesterday though...when was it written? 1988? (before Thrawn trilogy?) Lots of little errors creep up in it, like it being a big deal for the Alliance to have 2 captured Star Destroyers (when there are easily like 5 or 6 in just the X-Wing books). Still a fun read (kind of liked Luke being a dark side crazy for a bit), just curious as to what material the writers had available when they wrote it.

Also, the X-Wing comics are awesome. Stackpole does an awesome job fitting stuff into canon/past books, like Fel giving Han poo poo about the outfit he wore when part of Xaverri's show, which I think A.C. Crispin developed as part of her books.

Last bit of :spergin: - the comic adaptations of the Thrawn trilogy are pretty rough. I've read them so many times I actually have a lot of the dialog/exposition memorized, and they've got a few characters/speech bubbles swapped, etc. If you gave someone the comics to read first, they'd probably be really confused.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mojo1701a posted:

Pre-Saga Edition d20.

Star Wars D6 is one of the greatest RPG systems ever for pickup games and new players.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

movax posted:

Last bit of :spergin: - the comic adaptations of the Thrawn trilogy are pretty rough. I've read them so many times I actually have a lot of the dialog/exposition memorized, and they've got a few characters/speech bubbles swapped, etc. If you gave someone the comics to read first, they'd probably be really confused.

I don't think the artwork is that fantastic, either.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

A Star Wars Opera would be cool. I enjoyed the Concert series they had a couple years ago. The problem is that, especially in more evocative scenes like lightsaber duels, the nature of opera would make the OT even better while making the PT even shittier.

mojo1701a posted:

I think the Jedi thing was probably one of the reasons why it never got off the ground. A Jedi is powerful, but if you're role-playing properly, then they're boring.

Well, all monks and paladin types would be pretty "boring" (if you mean less combat, they're great for roleplaying when your game has more ethical considerations, I think, cuz then you get into Kreia-like situations) if they're being role-played properly. This is the reason why many players end up making DBZ monks or fallen paladins. But this isn't TGD so...

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
Dark Empire came out sometime during the release of the Thrawn Trilogy. The whole point was that the New Republic was almost beaten, and they were pushed back to being Rebels between Thrawn and Palpatine's return.

I remember my GM's solution to the Jedi overpowering the other classes was to dual class. Of course he was a massive power gamer to begin with. The second, and last game we played we were an experimental group of Padawan's who were found when the were older so we had several levels of another class on top of our Jedi levels. I was a scoundrel/Jedi counselor and dumped most of my points into affect mind. I had something like a +37.

Power games like that are fun at first but so lose the point of an RPG.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Fox of Stone posted:

A Star Wars Opera would be cool. I enjoyed the Concert series they had a couple years ago. The problem is that, especially in more evocative scenes like lightsaber duels, the nature of opera would make the OT even better while making the PT even shittier.

I'll agree with this. Operas are about larger-than-life characters and grandiose plots (I could be wrong about this since I have limited operatic knowledge). The only problem is the space combat.

quote:

Well, all monks and paladin types would be pretty "boring" (if you mean less combat, they're great for roleplaying when your game has more ethical considerations, I think, cuz then you get into Kreia-like situations) if they're being role-played properly. This is the reason why many players end up making DBZ monks or fallen paladins. But this isn't TGD so...

The difference, I think, is that paladins have a greater range to do their work. At least, I've always seen Jedis as structured and rigid based on what they can or can't do. That is, a Jedi who believes that the ends justify the means would be considered dabbling in the dark side.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fox of Stone posted:

Actually, I think an opera would help the PT if you give the writer enough flexibility and freedom to edit out material, add exposition (which is sung, so it's more bearable) to flesh out the motives and plot, and just don't worry about doing fancy lightsaber moves, especially because it's possible one or more of the leads is going to be overweight.

What sold the idea to me was reading the plot synopsis of Lohengrin which ends by saying The female lead dies of grief and I immediately thought of how Padme died. That's when it struck me-the clumsy love plot between Anakin and Padme and Anakin's fall to the Dark Side was totally in line with what happens in a lot of operas.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
In Japan, Final Fantasy often gets live performances complete with famous musicians and singers who are practically opera in their reputation. Not QUITE a full opera, but there's definitely possibilities for genre-crossing.

Since Final Fantasy is basically Japan's Star Wars, I could see there being potential for John Williams' scores being done to narration.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If Star Wars went Opera Anthony Daniels will no doubt be all over it demanding to be Threepeo because the man is a THESPIAN.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Considering EU authors' love of taking other famous stories and either shoehorning, ripping off, or flat-out copy-pasting them into Star Wars, is there a scrap of the EU that is basically Seven Samurai but with Jedi?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Silver Brushes posted:

Considering EU authors' love of taking other famous stories and either shoehorning, ripping off, or flat-out copy-pasting them into Star Wars, is there a scrap of the EU that is basically Seven Samurai but with Jedi?

Uh, well I suppose a portion of the OT is from Seven Samurai (among other Kurosawa works) -- Threepio and R2-D2 were based off the bickering peasants from Seven Samurai ( a film that I have still only gotten halfway through because I always fall sleep since I start it at like 1am on a Saturday night :argh: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It was The Hidden Fortress, not Seven Samurai.