Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
OK, Have a 92 Accord EX with a coolant leak. Car has 145k miles, Tbelt/water were replaced at 80k. Radiator/hoses are dry (they were replaced 2 months ago).
Drip point is on the front of the block right behind the driveshaft pully. Coolant is green, no oil mix. Oil looks fine, no brown pudding.
Assuming that the waterpump seal decided to let go. Just wanted to get AI's opinion before I bust open the tbelt housing and swap belts/pullys/waterpump. I am doing the work myself.

Also, this car sat for nearly 4 years with no startup. I did the usual prep after getting it from my sister in law for $500. Replaced radiator, hoses, battery, filters, fluids, muffler, and had to resolder the TCU main board because of a popped cap. Ran fine for 2 months, until the waterpump decided to let go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Meydey posted:

OK, Have a 92 Accord EX with a coolant leak. Car has 145k miles, Tbelt/water were replaced at 80k. Radiator/hoses are dry (they were replaced 2 months ago).
Drip point is on the front of the block right behind the driveshaft pully. Coolant is green, no oil mix. Oil looks fine, no brown pudding.
Assuming that the waterpump seal decided to let go. Just wanted to get AI's opinion before I bust open the tbelt housing and swap belts/pullys/waterpump. I am doing the work myself.

Also, this car sat for nearly 4 years with no startup. I did the usual prep after getting it from my sister in law for $500. Replaced radiator, hoses, battery, filters, fluids, muffler, and had to resolder the TCU main board because of a popped cap. Ran fine for 2 months, until the waterpump decided to let go.

If its leaking from the front crank area its the water pump(or its gasket)... And yes you do want to put a new timing belt on there, because of course coolant on it is a BAD thing... Use honda OEM parts for the belt and pump. They're not much more expensive than a house brand but totally worth it... Wipe the cam gears, tensioner, and crank pulleys down with some solvent too to get the coolant off of them. And of course inside the timing cover.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
How bad is this:

and what do I need to do?

I'd prefer to make it look nice again, but the car's worth about $1800 and I'm not :allears: enough about it to respray the whole thing (a respray was already done once by the PO... badly). I'd like to cure the rust and/or get it to look nice enough that it's not loving the resale value so much, because I want to keep this car less than another year. Less than another 6 months if I'm lucky.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alright, I need some goon opinions on this. I've got a Mazdaspeed Protege, and an exhaust leak that I had welded a few years back has reopened. I've got some cash burning a hole in my pocket, and I put in a new, wider-diameter downpipe a few months back, so I figure this is a good time to go ahead and do the rest of my exhaust. I want something bigger than the 2.25 inch stock system, because I plan on building the engine sometime this year and upping the boost a bit.

I've got it basically down to two options:
1. Buy an 80mm kit from Corksport, the same guys I got my downpipe from. It's $520 plus shipping+tax if I grab the silencer, another 200 for the high-flow cat, which I'll probably do without. My state has no inspections you see. :ssh:
Sound here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWs_JG0_jnQ

2. Get, say, one of these options from Borla and find a shop to fab me up some pipes to go with it. A friend of mine did this with his N/A Protege (which he had built up for track racing), and it sounds pretty nice.
Sound sample (Another 'Speed, not my friend's):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IBNjsthVZg

I'm basically trying to decide which sounds better, and to a lesser extent which would be more cost-effective; I don't have access to a welder, hence having a shop do the Borla option, and I know going that route would take a bit more time for the fabrication to get done. Anyone with any experience in this have any advice for me?

Light Fields
May 8, 2008
I was watching the Mercedes advert 'believe in horses' or something, and saw this, I presume concept, pop up for a second....

Does anyone know what it was called?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Light Fields posted:

Does anyone know what it was called?
Found it here
http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/vehicles/road/cars/rare_classics/mercedes-benz_C_111.html

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
My chamois is about to give up the ghost. It's tearing and leaving pieces behind everywhere. I'm going to use it once more to wash wheels and toss it.

Is there anything better to dry a car than a lamb's rear end? One brand better than another? I grabbed whatever chamois Target had at the time, it's lasted about 2 years and maybe 20 washes.

And what is better for applying wax than those lovely sponges they include in the can? Something I could machine wash would be bitchin

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
I bought some large waffle weave microfiber towels a few years ago from a forum sponsor on one of the Focus forums (who has apparently gone out of business since.) They seem to work better than any chamois I've ever used. They appear to be a fairly common item though...http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Waffle-Weave-Microfiber-Glass/dp/B000BNY22I

Splizwarf posted:

I'd prefer to make it look nice again, but the car's worth about $1800 and I'm not :allears: enough about it to respray the whole thing (a respray was already done once by the PO... badly). I'd like to cure the rust and/or get it to look nice enough that it's not loving the resale value so much, because I want to keep this car less than another year. Less than another 6 months if I'm lucky.

If you want to do it the "right" way you'll need to take the windshield out, as odds are the rust has worked its way under the glass seal. Then its just a matter of getting rid of all of the rust with a combination of a wire wheel/brush and sandpaper, and then priming and painting over the spot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dbhjed posted:

This being said I now have 2 spots on my car that need to be repainted one spot right above my left rear tire about the size of a half dollar, and the other is 3 small tear drop shaped spots on my bumper and another scrape right next to it.

Does anyone know how much it might cost to get this fixed at a professional car painting shop? (I've attempted to fix the paint on two cars already and while it was fine for the beaters I would like this paint to make it seem as if nothing happened).

This would be for a 2000 Toyota Celica with the normal Silver paint

When it comes to silver, good paint shops will charge a lot of hours to properly blend in their patch, so that the spot won't be noticeably another color. Sadly, the price is more independent of the size of the area needing paint than you'd probably like. The spot on your fender would be something like a few hundred. As for the bumper, a body/paint shop might charge the same getting a new bumper for you and painting that. I had a front fascia (the plastic surface part of a bumper) repaired and repainted by a high quality shop and it was like $700.

mwells_cubed
Aug 7, 2003

WOW

kimbo305 posted:

With any luck, it'll come with a slip of paper with the code on it. Did you ask the vendor how to unlock it?

I'm going to have to email them, but from what I can tell if the VIN the radio has "learned" is different than the VIN of the car it's being installed to, it will be locked until a dealer can fix it. I'm just afraid they'll have some bullshit policy of not servicing used radios or something. So basically, there's nothing *I* can do to unlock the radio. I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight into this, if anyone else has ever had to do it, and if so what the procedure was. I've been told to say that I disconnected the battery to do something else and the radio came up locked, but I think they'll notice that my new radio has different buttons and an aux port in a car that had neither of those things in that year.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Are there any reasons not to get a 4WD Infiniti G37 over the Audi, BMW and Mercedes equivalents? While they are all priced very similarly based on what I've seen thus far it seems the Infiniti offers more bang for the buck. It just doesn't seem to make sense to me to go for the A4 no matter how much I like the styling when it costs more and doesn't give me as much.

Does Nissan build their Infiniti brand to be reliable and pleasant to drive? I hear the German cars can be really temperamental and BMW in particular can charge a killing for something as basic as an oil change.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
How painful is it to change the starter on a 98' Saturn? (dohc, manual). I've changed the starters on older Civics, Explorers, and a few H body cars. The one on my Saturn seems pretty inaccessible by comparison. Also, anything I should know beforehand?

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Sponge! posted:

If its leaking from the front crank area its the water pump(or its gasket)... And yes you do want to put a new timing belt on there, because of course coolant on it is a BAD thing... Use honda OEM parts for the belt and pump. They're not much more expensive than a house brand but totally worth it... Wipe the cam gears, tensioner, and crank pulleys down with some solvent too to get the coolant off of them. And of course inside the timing cover.

Thanks, I had the same ideas.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I pulled a tire off my car today to patch it (found a screw in it last week when rotating) and found that ANOTHER screw had bored into my tire a few inches away from the other. I don't drive through construction sites so I have no idea what's going on, but anyway...

Fortunately both are in the safe areas of tread to attempt a patch. I pulled one out and it patched beautifully. The second, I pulled the head off and can't see the rest of the screw without shining a flashlight into the hole. The tire is still holding air. Are there any tricks you all know of for retrieving this recessed screw so I cant patch it and help my tires last a couple more thousand miles? It's a Subaru so I'd need to replace all 4 tires and I was hoping to wait until Summer.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

PabloBOOM posted:

I pulled a tire off my car today to patch it (found a screw in it last week when rotating) and found that ANOTHER screw had bored into my tire a few inches away from the other. I don't drive through construction sites so I have no idea what's going on, but anyway...

Fortunately both are in the safe areas of tread to attempt a patch. I pulled one out and it patched beautifully. The second, I pulled the head off and can't see the rest of the screw without shining a flashlight into the hole. The tire is still holding air. Are there any tricks you all know of for retrieving this recessed screw so I cant patch it and help my tires last a couple more thousand miles? It's a Subaru so I'd need to replace all 4 tires and I was hoping to wait until Summer.

If its not leaking, and you're planning on replacing them soon, I'd just keep an eye on it and top up as necessary.
If you're really worried, I'd take it to a tire shop.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DerDestroyer posted:

Are there any reasons not to get a 4WD Infiniti G37 over the Audi, BMW and Mercedes equivalents? While they are all priced very similarly based on what I've seen thus far it seems the Infiniti offers more bang for the buck. It just doesn't seem to make sense to me to go for the A4 no matter how much I like the styling when it costs more and doesn't give me as much.

Does Nissan build their Infiniti brand to be reliable and pleasant to drive? I hear the German cars can be really temperamental and BMW in particular can charge a killing for something as basic as an oil change.

I enjoy driving the G37 over the C-class; there's some really dubious ergonomic decisions in the C-class ( http://blog.brycekerley.net/post/1029472059/car-review-2009-mercedes-benz-c300 ). Consumer Reports rates the G37 higher than the C-class, 3-series, and A4 too.

You may want an opinion from somebody who doesn't drive a heinous beater on a regular basis though.

CanAm
Jan 4, 2009

Eh.
I'm looking to get a bit more speed and cornering ability out of my 2000 Celica GT.

Where the hell do I start? I've been looking at everything out there, and it's all a little overwhelming.

I am looking at a front torsion bar, but have no idea of what exactly to get.

Help me AI, you're my only hope.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Parthenogenocide posted:

I'm looking to get a bit more speed and cornering ability out of my 2000 Celica GT.

Where the hell do I start? I've been looking at everything out there, and it's all a little overwhelming.

I am looking at a front torsion bar, but have no idea of what exactly to get.

Help me AI, you're my only hope.

Pay for track days to learn the limits of your car?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

kimbo305 posted:

Then spend the rest on decent tyres.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BonzoESC posted:

I enjoy driving the G37 over the C-class; there's some really dubious ergonomic decisions in the C-class ( http://blog.brycekerley.net/post/1029472059/car-review-2009-mercedes-benz-c300 ). Consumer Reports rates the G37 higher than the C-class, 3-series, and A4 too.

I don't think some of those criticisms of the C-class are particularly fair - the steering wheel radio controls are useful and there isn't anything wrong with the cruise control setup.

The iDrive system (or whatever they call their version) isn't ideal but isn't horrible either.

That said I love my Skyline (which is essentially a stripped out first gen G35) and would definitely consider a G37 over the Euro competitors

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I swore I would never buy another Ford, how stupid would it be to buy a 1994 ranger 4x4? Its at least a manual and an ext. cab, its that or a 1995 Volvo glt 850. I need a cheap daily winter driver to last me until the salt is gone.

For $1000 what would be the better deal, the one with better tires or more new parts?

CanAm
Jan 4, 2009

Eh.

kimbo305 posted:

I've checked out every nearby (within 150 miles) track, and I have yet to find any useful information as to when track days are and how much they cost.

dissss posted:

Then spend the rest on decent tyres.

Have decent tires on it with plenty of tread. Will be upgrading to Hankook V12s with 17 inch rims as soon as I get my tax return.

I know the limits of the car fairly well. I typically drive in the hills near where I live for fun and know when I'm about to lose traction, etc.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Parthenogenocide posted:

I've checked out every nearby (within 150 miles) track, and I have yet to find any useful information as to when track days are and how much they cost.
Figure out what the 'local' clubs are other than SCCA and NASA. They frequently have better track days.

quote:

I know the limits of the car fairly well. I typically drive in the hills near where I live for fun and know when I'm about to lose traction, etc.

You've had that car for what, a week? Trust me, you'll enjoy driving on a track much much more, and might find higher limits.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

SpeedFreek posted:

I swore I would never buy another Ford, how stupid would it be to buy a 1994 ranger 4x4?

I think a number of people here have that vintage Ranger and Explorer and are happy with them, including me (94 Explorer auto). They have problems, but what teenager doesn't? I have 197k miles on my daily driver with no major issues.
I can't really comment on the Volvo or which would be better though.

Parthenogenocide posted:

How do you know the limits? Have you been past them? Have you lost traction?
I thought I was pretty good, until my first track day when I learned I actually drove like a retard. It was humbling.

Where do you live? Most of my track days begin and end in a hotel room.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

DarthJeebus posted:

How painful is it to change the starter on a 98' Saturn? (dohc, manual). I've changed the starters on older Civics, Explorers, and a few H body cars. The one on my Saturn seems pretty inaccessible by comparison. Also, anything I should know beforehand?

There's a youtube user called Richpin who posts great videos on how to do a lot of work on S-Series. Here's the starter replacement video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6awyslXkeI

The community isn't great, but the SaturnFans forums have a lot of info. Here's the how-to subforum with just guides on doing work. If you ever have any trouble finding info, you could try posting a thread, or just message LowSaturn, he seems to know everything you could need about S-series vehicles.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
I have a 2007 Honda Civic LX that was in an accident (not my fault). The repairs are currently at like $7700, now including a "right frame rail" replacement.

I wasn't sure what this is, so I called the dealership and apparently my car has a unibody frame and this is a part of that frame. To repair it, they are going to un-weld out the old piece, and re-weld in a new piece. Somehow it involves lasers. The repair place is fairly reputable, so I don't think they'll do a bad job.

However, will this affect the resale value of my car? Will this show up on a car history report? Will this affect the structural integrity of my car?

If another idiot causes an accident with me, is this piece going to break off and fly into my heart, killing me? I'm a little worried.

My car is worth more than $8000, but I want a resolution that is going to not cost me in the long run in some unforeseen way.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Splizwarf posted:

How bad is this:

and what do I need to do?

Essentially, do nothing. It will cost you more than the car is worth to fix this. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You could try some rustoleum to stop the rust and that might work, or it might not. If you don't give a poo poo about the car or the next owner, you could try just throwing some Bondo on there and smearing touch up paint over the top of it. It wouldn't last and it would still look like crap, but it wouldn't be as noticeable.

If you really knew what you were doing, you could cut out the rust, sand and refabricate the windshield frame, but if you knew enough to do that without causing serious problems, you wouldn't be asking this question.

Fucknag posted:

Alright, I need some goon opinions on this. I've got a Mazdaspeed Protege, ... I want something bigger than the 2.25 inch stock system, because I plan on building the engine sometime this year and upping the boost a bit.

I've got it basically down to two options:
... Anyone with any experience in this have any advice for me?
Unless you're going for massive amounts of boost, your exhaust isn't likely to be a problem. Everyone thinks that factory exhausts are massively inefficient, which they are, and that they are going to get huge horsepower gains from replacing them, which you aren't. The fact is, most pipes are efficient enough to get the job done until you've spent a lot of money building the engine.

If you like the sound of the exhaust, then do it. That's about the only real valid reason for throwing an exhaust on a car, and I say this as a guy who's put an exhaust kit on his past four cars. I like the sound, but I make no excuses that I'm doing it for any other reason.

It probably won't cost much to have a shop fab up some pipes for those Borla mufflers, and that's where I'd spend my money.

SpeedFreek posted:

I swore I would never buy another Ford, how stupid would it be to buy a 1994 ranger 4x4? Its at least a manual and an ext. cab, its that or a 1995 Volvo glt 850. I need a cheap daily winter driver to last me until the salt is gone.

For $1000 what would be the better deal, the one with better tires or more new parts?
For a $1000 car I'd buy whatever is plentiful in nearby junkyards and on eBay Motors, which means I'd be buying the Ford. A $1000 is always a crapshoot, it's bound to be poorly maintained, have issues, and something will break sooner or later. That being the case, the Ford is going to have more available parts and they're going to be universally cheaper. The Volvo 850 was a fairly expensive luxury car when new, and parts and maintenance are going to reflect that. There's also a lot more to go wrong on the Volvo and the maintenance is much more critical. Old Volvos can be cool and all, but as a cheap beater, this is not the car you want.

Better tires or more new parts? I'd need more information to decide.

Parthenogenocide posted:

Where do you live? I'm sure there's someone running DE nearby, especially if you already know tracks exist.

quote:

Have decent tires on it with plenty of tread. Will be upgrading to Hankook V12s with 17 inch rims as soon as I get my tax return.
Tires are the single greatest performance enhancement you can make to your car. The next best enhancement you can make is to attend an HPDE and learn to get the most out of your car as it is. Once you do that, you'll be able to better assess what your car really needs.

quote:

You really have no idea. Until you go to the track, you really don't know what your car can do. I know you don't, because you're talking about adding a front torsen bar, which I think you actually mean front sway bar, which your Celica already has (it does not have a torsen bar suspension). Do you have any idea what this will do to your handling? Do you have any idea if you want a stiffer bar or a less stiff bar? An adjustable one? Is the car understeering or oversteering? What exactly is it you want to correct with the sway bar and what are you expecting from it?

You also realize that sway bars are really just for fine tuning your handling and you should not expect to see fantastic gains from stock, right? By trying to tune out large problems in handling with a sway bar, you are much more likely to end up with the car being an undrivable mess. If you decide later to change struts and springs (your struts are likely worn all to hell and need replacing anyway) and go with anything other than what you currently have, you'll likely have to sell your sway bar and buy a new one.

Arcaeris posted:

I have a 2007 Honda Civic LX that was in an accident (not my fault). The repairs are currently at like $7700, now including a "right frame rail" replacement.

However, will this affect the resale value of my car? Will this show up on a car history report? Will this affect the structural integrity of my car?
Yes. Maybe. Who knows.

If you disclose this damage to the next owner, it will affect the resale value. Some states provide for insurance to pay for reduced value, others don't. It may or may not get reported to Carfax, but since it doesn't involve a change in the title of the car, probably not. Contrary to popular belief, most body shops don't bother reporting to Carfax. If the body shop knows exactly what they are doing, and does it exactly right, the structural integrity won't be harmed. The big issue is, how do you know? I have two body shops here in Austin that I trust, one is owned by a close friend and only works on Exotics, Porsches, and BMWs. The other is an amazing shop that does amazing work and is pretty much only known through word of mouth. Every racer in town who doesn't take their car to the first shop goes to that one.

Even still, either one of those shops would be pushing for a total at $7700 worth of damage on a 2007 Civic. That's just a lot of damage, and while the frame rails are designed to be replaced, it's still a job that requires a lot of precise work to do right. I'd really be pushing my insurance to just total the car already before they get in there and find even more damage.

einTier fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 14, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Arcaeris posted:

I wasn't sure what this is, so I called the dealership and apparently my car has a unibody frame and this is a part of that frame. To repair it, they are going to un-weld out the old piece, and re-weld in a new piece. Somehow it involves lasers. The repair place is fairly reputable, so I don't think they'll do a bad job.

If another idiot causes an accident with me, is this piece going to break off and fly into my heart, killing me? I'm a little worried.

My car is worth more than $8000, but I want a resolution that is going to not cost me in the long run in some unforeseen way.
The post-repair safety of the car is predicated entirely on how (and how well) it was fixed. I wouldn't worry about the welded in frame rail jumping out and stabbing you in the heart Final Destination style, but you're more than justified in being worried that the repaired car won't be the same. Just because they do a good job doesn't mean it'll be 100% the same. If the accident repair makes it into records that Carfax or the other auto records checking services can find, that will be great ammo for people looking to buy your car. For a 2007 Civic, a savvy buyer that knew it had to have a frame rail replaced should be looking for more than $5000 off the price of an unblemished specimen.

Your decision to keep this car should be based on 1) a detailed assessment of that shop's repair work 2) your own mental comfort with driving a car fixed up from heavy damage and 3) the potential financial hit of selling a repaired car and having to buy a new one.

CanAm
Jan 4, 2009

Eh.

einTier posted:

Where do you live? I'm sure there's someone running DE nearby, especially if you already know tracks exist.

Tires are the single greatest performance enhancement you can make to your car. The next best enhancement you can make is to attend an HPDE and learn to get the most out of your car as it is. Once you do that, you'll be able to better assess what your car really needs.

You really have no idea. Until you go to the track, you really don't know what your car can do. I know you don't, because you're talking about adding a front torsen bar, which I think you actually mean front sway bar, which your Celica already has (it does not have a torsen bar suspension). Do you have any idea what this will do to your handling? Do you have any idea if you want a stiffer bar or a less stiff bar? An adjustable one? Is the car understeering or oversteering? What exactly is it you want to correct with the sway bar and what are you expecting from it?

You also realize that sway bars are really just for fine tuning your handling and you should not expect to see fantastic gains from stock, right? By trying to tune out large problems in handling with a sway bar, you are much more likely to end up with the car being an undrivable mess. If you decide later to change struts and springs (your struts are likely worn all to hell and need replacing anyway) and go with anything other than what you currently have, you'll likely have to sell your sway bar and buy a new one.

Thus why I'm in this thread. I appreciate all the input and will try to find track days out here (San Jose area).

I guess I'll keep pushing the car, especially when I'm on the track. I have gotten to the point of losing traction, but caught it in time to avoid a full spin.

I'll keep saving for those rims and tires and see what I can do then on a track.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
Thanks for the responses. The other guy's insurance is paying for all of the repairs, but I had called on Friday to discuss some of these concerns and the claims adjuster was out. I'll have to call and harass on Monday and see what I can do. I was going to drive this until it was worth $1000 and sell it to a poor Mexican family (I'm in CA), but I don't want them to die from an unsafe repair either.

I hate buying cars because I have to be in "shark mode," but if I have to go buy a new car in order to have piece of mind, then I'll do it.

Also, I can't stand this loving Dodge Charger the rental place gave me. At least it's better than the HHR that I said "gently caress no" to.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Parthenogenocide posted:

I guess I'll keep pushing the car, especially when I'm on the track. I have gotten to the point of losing traction, but caught it in time to avoid a full spin.
And what did you learn from this, without the safety margin of a track and without the attention of an instructor to critique what you did wrong? That's why everyone was pushing you to get on a track, so you wouldn't do it on public roads.

CanAm
Jan 4, 2009

Eh.

kimbo305 posted:

And what did you learn from this, without the safety margin of a track and without the attention of an instructor to critique what you did wrong? That's why everyone was pushing you to get on a track, so you wouldn't do it on public roads.

I meant pushing the car at a track, I'll stay where I am on the open road. The near-spin was a lesson to never trust my driving ability that much until I can hone it on a controlled environment such as a track.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

SpeedFreek posted:

That's too cheap for the Volvo unless you're living way out in the boonies, if the bodywork isn't obviously hosed, something's wrong with it. Around here (northern VA) $1000 worth of 850 won't pass State Inspection.

Not too cheap for the truck but it'll probably look rough. Which you don't care about.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
So I bought an 09 Nissan Versa w/23k miles yesterday from a local Nissan dealership, pretty happy with the deal/car.

The one thing I feel a bit boneheaded about was not taking the time to think about the extended warranty the finance manager offered me. The car is covered by the nissan drive train cert for another 80k miles but thats it. For another $800 they were offering me 100k mile bumper to bumper, all electrical, body, etc.. (although I didnt catch if it covered maintenance or not).

At the time my extended warranty alarm went off in my head and I roundly rejected it like I do on all of the electronics I buy, but after cooling off for a day i'm thinking... drat, for the extra $15/mo that might just have been a good thing to have.

Did I make a big misstake? Are there any decent 3rd party options out there for things like that?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
It was only yesterday, maybe they'll still do the warranty it if you ask them. You are, after all, offering to give them more money.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

heat posted:

It was only yesterday, maybe they'll still do the warranty it if you ask them. You are, after all, offering to give them more money.

After I turned it down I asked the dude "If I change my mind can I still buy the warranty?" he said no that It had to be done before the car was turned over to me.

tkNukem
Feb 12, 2005

I have this moan/slight grind sound coming from the rear of my '04 CVPI. It only seems to sound in first gear, after the car's been on the road for several miles, and during sharp left and right turns.

Does this mean it's the differential? I happened to change the fluid, filling it with Amsoil gear oil, but that was last Thanksgiving (about 5,000 miles ago). Also, the fluid level still checked out OK the other day, so my RTV gasket seems to be good. Any ideas why it would grind like that?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sointenly posted:

So I bought an 09 Nissan Versa w/23k miles yesterday...The car is covered by the nissan drive train cert for another 80k miles but thats it. For another $800 they were offering me 100k mile bumper to bumper, all electrical, body, etc..

So if I'm reading this correctly, the car has a 100,000 mile factory warranty. Was the extended warranty going to cover the next 100,000...? If so odds are you'd run out of time before you'd run up that many miles unless you do a LOT of driving.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Geoj posted:

So if I'm reading this correctly, the car has a 100,000 mile factory warranty. Was the extended warranty going to cover the next 100,000...? If so odds are you'd run out of time before you'd run up that many miles unless you do a LOT of driving.

Yes and no, the car does have a "power train" 100k factory warranty, but as I'm sure you know that only covers the motor and trans. The one they were offering me was a full bumper to bumper, which would cover everything from electrical to the finish on the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
What about the manufacturer's full warranty? I'd assume an 09 car would still be under it (don't most companies offer 3+ years...?).

Or is it non-transferable from the first owner?

• Locked thread