Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

ApexAftermath posted:

I guess in my honest opinion the performance decrease with a cheaper player is unacceptable. Blu Rays take long enough to load on a PS3 as is, and the load times are just ridiculous on low end players.

This. For the price I really think you are getting the best deal with the PS3. They are really good about updating it as well and it just feels more future proofed.

Again, the Sony S370 is $99. It's not offbrand. It's well reviewed. It has an XMB interface. It has timely firmware updates. It does Netflix, Hulu, Youtube etc. You can stream MKVs and DivX etc. to it. It apparently loads discs about the same as a PS3. It's no PS3 but at 1/3rd the price I'd be wanting more than 'It just feels more polished' to recommend it to a basic user who just wants to watch a few Blu-Rays.

The PS3 is my primary player, extremely well supported, high quality and great value but the state of the low-end market is a little different to what it was even a year or two ago.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

frumpsnake posted:

It's no PS3 but at 1/3rd the price I'd be wanting more than 'It just feels more polished' to recommend it to a basic user who just wants to watch a few Blu-Rays.

You're right, I wasn't making myself very clear. I was more or less pitching to this crowd, but yeah for a basic user(like my parents) a cheap player is the way to go.

That sony player does sound pretty nice. I wasn't aware they made a player using XMB besides the PS3.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
It's been nearly five years since the format launched.

The Star Wars Trilogy is coming to BluRay in the fall.

Duke Nukem Forever is going to be released in May.

The President of the United States is black.

Where the cocking gently caress is Bad Boys II???

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Sporadic posted:

Worth a double post

:siren: Taxi Driver preorder on Amazon - $12.99 :siren:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IFYMYI?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004IFYMYI

Set for an April 5th release.
They have two versions?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IFYMYI?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004IFYMYI

http://www.amazon.com/Taxi-Driver-Blu-ray-Martin-Scorsese/dp/B001DJLCP4/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I130UCHYSUBTL&colid=GJZKLDXAORI

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Nobody knows at the moment. The speculation is that the 12.99 one is a normal release while the $25 one is a digibook.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 11, 2011

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

FitFortDanga posted:

The Secret of NIMH (3/9)

Goddamnit, I hope they finally do this right. The DVD editions were absolutely awful.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
While we're doing ~player chat~ what would be the best region free Blu Ray player for around $200? I have a PS3, but I'm going to the US in March and hoping to get a player plus some sweet region A Criterion flicks; at this point I just want to phase out the PS3, because I don't use it for anything else. I'd prefer a player that doesn't need the use of codes to change regions, and if it had USB for streaming files from a USB disk it'd be even better.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Reason I hate digibooks #100: All the President's Men is 25 dollars while Network (a normal release) is 15.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I, Butthole posted:

While we're doing ~player chat~ what would be the best region free Blu Ray player for around $200?

My second Panasonic BD65 should be with me on Tuesday, the first suffered from a damaged blu-ray transport so had to be returned. With a €20 donation to the project, you can get a MAC ID locked firmware you can install that does DVD/BD region free and a bunch of other stuff. I paid £125 for mine but its only £150 or so at RRP. Its tiny as well which is nice.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The pHo posted:

My second Panasonic BD65 should be with me on Tuesday, the first suffered from a damaged blu-ray transport so had to be returned. With a €20 donation to the project, you can get a MAC ID locked firmware you can install that does DVD/BD region free and a bunch of other stuff. I paid £125 for mine but its only £150 or so at RRP. Its tiny as well which is nice.

Project? Link? There's several of these players on Amazon and none of them seem to be what your mentioning here.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As if the Miramax/Weinsteins thing couldn't possibly get any more convoluted....

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/lionsgate-studiocanal-to-distribute-miramax-library-titles/

quote:

LIONSGATE, a leading diversified filmed entertainment studio, Studiocanal and Miramax announced today that they have entered into a worldwide home entertainment distribution deal. Under the long-term deal, Lionsgate and Studiocanal will distribute more than 550 titles from the renowned Miramax film library via DVD, Blu-ray, EST and Internet Video On Demand (VOD), in addition to cable VOD internationally.

Lionsgate will partner with leading international distributor Studiocanal to distribute Miramax titles in the UK and Europe. The announcement was made by Steve Beeks, President and Co-Chief Operating Officer of Lionsgate, Olivier Courson, Chief Executive Officer of Studiocanal and Mike Lang, Chief Executive Officer of Miramax.

"The Miramax library will be one of the most treasured jewels in our home entertainment crown," said Beeks. "With our longstanding commitment and expertise in aggressively managing library titles, we are thrilled to bring together under one roof such Miramax film icons as Shakespeare in Love, The English Patient, Pulp Fiction and Good Will Hunting with our existing classics such as Dirty Dancing and Monster's Ball to create what is unquestionably one of the most powerful and prestigious filmed entertainment libraries in the world. We are looking forward to working with Mike and his incredible team on this exciting venture."

At least there's finally a definitive agreement.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

frumpsnake posted:

Again, the Sony S370 is $99. It's not offbrand. It's well reviewed. It has an XMB interface. It has timely firmware updates. It does Netflix, Hulu, Youtube etc. You can stream MKVs and DivX etc. to it. It apparently loads discs about the same as a PS3. It's no PS3 but at 1/3rd the price I'd be wanting more than 'It just feels more polished' to recommend it to a basic user who just wants to watch a few Blu-Rays.

And to add to that, it has an IR-sensor. Which doesn't seem like a big deal until you realize you can't fully control a PS3 with a universal remote unless you want to pony up for a bluetooth adapter (which retails for ~$70 or so). And that's assuming you're running a high-end universal remote like a harmony as well.

Not a huge deal, but just another reason the PS3 shouldn't be the defacto choice anymore.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Crackbone posted:

AWhich doesn't seem like a big deal until you realize you can't fully control a PS3 with a universal remote unless you want to pony up for a bluetooth adapter (which retails for ~$70 or so). And that's assuming you're running a high-end universal remote like a harmony as well.

$43. Today, anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Adapter-PlayStation-3/dp/B00267S7XW/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I12TSS9JPO56PY&colid=2WP1U8A1VIJSM

Love my PS3. About to buy a second one for the bedroom. Will buy a 3rd one in a few months when the basement room is finished.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbV8vf7nuMA

S570 vs. PS3 load times.

And unless I'm mistaken, the 370 and 470 should perform the same, as the differences are 3-d and built-in wireless between the models.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

All three Scream movies are coming soon, and Pulp Fiction in June.

Here's a review of Get Low and a surprisingly PG review of Last Tango in Paris. Bring me the butter.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Pulp Fiction in June.

:monocle: I'm honestly shocked.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

Reason I hate digibooks #100: All the President's Men is 25 dollars while Network (a normal release) is 15.

If $10 is going to break the bank you're in the wrong hobby.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

FitFortDanga posted:

Pulp Fiction in June.

Like I've been saying since 2008: It's out when I have it in my goddamn hands.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

It's more the fact that you're basically being forced to pay more right now for packaging as opposed to extra content.

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

It's $10 that could be going toward more blu-rays rather than a thicker case.

It may surprise you but to some people the actual films are the hobby and not the pretty boxes on their shelves

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Modian posted:

It's $10 that could be going toward more blu-rays rather than a thicker case.

It may surprise you but to some people the actual films are the hobby and not the pretty boxes on their shelves

Exactly. I don't think anyone is wringing their hands because $10 is a huge deal, but it seems foolish to pay more when you know that the only reason you are paying more is for some stupid looking case.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Lionsgate's Memento reviewed

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

frumpsnake posted:

Lionsgate's Memento reviewed

You have no idea how happy this makes me.
I am so happy that they actually made this good this time, and for such a cheap price. Fantastic.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Got a question for you nerds.

My friend uses his PS3 as his main bluray player, and ever since the 3D blu update they did he can't get Sunshine to play without it forcing the picture within picture viewing mode. Has anyone else that uses the PS3 encountered this issue? Any possible work solution?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

It's been covered a few times in this thread. You need to contact Fox on 888-223-4369 for a replacement disc.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

frumpsnake posted:

It's been covered a few times in this thread. You need to contact Fox on 888-223-4369 for a replacement disc.

Thank you
I stopped participating in this thread for a bit and had something like 300+ new post to go look at. Thanks for the quick response.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Thank you
I stopped participating in this thread for a bit and had something like 300+ new post to go look at. Thanks for the quick response.

The new discs work great too! They even send you a new case instead of a lovely sleeve. Quality!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ApexAftermath posted:

The new discs work great too! They even send you a new case instead of a lovely sleeve. Quality!

Aren't you that guy who didn't even buy it in the first place?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Aren't you that guy who didn't even buy it in the first place?

I do own it, but I stupidly suggested that people take advantage of it because they didn't verify if you actually owned it or not and was probated rightly so.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Is anyone able to tell me why The Illusionist (2010) got a DVD release but not a Blu-Ray release? I really want to buy this film but don't want to regret not having it an a better format.

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet

Ronnie posted:

Is anyone able to tell me why The Illusionist (2010) got a DVD release but not a Blu-Ray release? I really want to buy this film but don't want to regret not having it an a better format.

e: Ignore me.

Amazon has a preorder up, but no date.

tickle monster fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 13, 2011

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Ronnie posted:

I think you would regret it, I saw it in theatres and there was just so much detail in every shot that you really would need a blu-ray version of it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ronnie posted:

It did over in France but I think it is region locked B.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Ah I may be in luck then as I am in a Region B area. I may hold out till I see an official UK release but looking at the previews this film needs all the HD love it deserves.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
What the hell?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I circled the reason why. It is not actually sold by Amazon.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That's really weird. Why the suddenly high price? Is it OOP or something now?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's really weird. Why the suddenly high price? Is it OOP or something now?

I dunno, I just checked Best Buy, and they have it for $25 and it is backordered.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
Torchwood is the deal of the week on amazon. You can get both series and the mini-series for about $90

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Hum, A Serbian Film on Blu-Ray... Can't make up my mind on whether that is a movie I want to watch again in HD or not. Would look good on my shelf at least.

• Locked thread