Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Nevermind, I read the board wrong 'n poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Lyon posted:

What go book is that? I might buy it. Phrases such as, "Thickness billows out like towering clouds, wondrous to behold." are too good to pass up. If the rest of the book is like that I'm in.

All About Thickness by Ishida. It's a real quick read

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Anybody interested in a book swap? I've got an extra copy of Attack and Defense, good condition with the corner of some pages slightly bent. It's a good book, worth reading, and you need to deal with Kiseido's archaic ordering system to get a copy of it, as far as I can tell.

I'm interested in problem books or A Dictionary of Basic Joseki, volume 2, but feel free to speak up if you think I've got something else I might be interested in. I've already got copies of In the Beginning, Positional Judgement and Analysis, 1001 Life or Death problems, and Graded Go Problems for Beginners.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
You picked one of the worst books to trade, attack and defence is one of the most common books people buy. I hope you find someone to trade with though since it is a pretty good book.

Personally I tend to buy go books and then not read them. I know I will get around to doing it someday, but it is still pretty irksome, especially since I am not exactly rolling in the dough.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

You also don't play Go. Haha!

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Occasionally I play go, just not now.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Hi oiseaux, I moved up to 8k. Keeping up with you! Hope you haven't gained/lost a stone in the interim.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

hey, I'm 8k. Progress has been real slow..... just haven't done any study....

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Athanos posted:

You picked one of the worst books to trade, attack and defence is one of the most common books people buy. I hope you find someone to trade with though since it is a pretty good book.

Personally I tend to buy go books and then not read them. I know I will get around to doing it someday, but it is still pretty irksome, especially since I am not exactly rolling in the dough.

I mean, I'm not gonna die if I have an extra copy of this, I'll probably just give it to a friend eventually or something. I just figured that I'd let folks know about it and see if anybody's interested. I can't deny it's a common book, since I've ended up with two copies myself.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Coca Koala posted:

I mean, I'm not gonna die if I have an extra copy of this, I'll probably just give it to a friend eventually or something. I just figured that I'd let folks know about it and see if anybody's interested. I can't deny it's a common book, since I've ended up with two copies myself.

Give to to someone else who plays irl or save it for an up-and-coming nublet. You have to be like 8k before you can really get any mileage out of A&D and I am going through it again at 2k and there's a lot of specifics that still sort of escape me.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
Perhaps donate it to your go club if you are a member of one? You should maybe try and trade for get strong at tesuji. It make the claim that it can give you dan level tesuji intuition if you do the book. I am not sure if I believe that claim, but I don't see how the book could hurt you.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

So when do we get tygem worldwide? I heard somewhere that It Was Coming but I need another lovely korean interface to compliment cyberoro, which crashes every time I win or score a game. The only way to get out of a game without crashing is to resign. Maybe it's tryin to tell me something :angel:

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Under 15 posted:

So when do we get tygem worldwide? I heard somewhere that It Was Coming but I need another lovely korean interface to compliment cyberoro, which crashes every time I win or score a game. The only way to get out of a game without crashing is to resign. Maybe it's tryin to tell me something :angel:

The Koreans are really only pretending to want you there, they really don't. The good places like tygem require korean SSNs. I imagine it is all as elaborate troll on non-koreans while they laugh at us with their moon language on tygem.

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club
it's actually really easy to make a chinese account on tygem. i used to play there occasionally, but nowadays i mostly go there to watch 9 dans play

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Anybody have advice for getting real-life Go groups together or arranging tournaments? I had a couple pupils but they were all seriously turned off by the learning curve, and even big cities like Austin seem to only get ~20 players for their annual Wildflower Classic. I wish there was more I could do to popularize Go in the States but it seems like everybody just plays online...

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Hipster Scumbag posted:

Anybody have advice for getting real-life Go groups together or arranging tournaments? I had a couple pupils but they were all seriously turned off by the learning curve, and even big cities like Austin seem to only get ~20 players for their annual Wildflower Classic. I wish there was more I could do to popularize Go in the States but it seems like everybody just plays online...

My go club just managed to sign up 70+ people last week and I think the trick was to keep it simple and fun. When I stopped focusing on the details and started focusing on fun more people started joining. What I mean by that is focus on the general rules, but don't worry to much about the more nebulous concepts in go like moyo, or aji too much. By the end of this term, maybe I will have some tips on how to actually keep members interested. Also focus on keeping games close when they are learning, no one likes to be crushed.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Athanos posted:

My go club just managed to sign up 70+ people last week and I think the trick was to keep it simple and fun. When I stopped focusing on the details and started focusing on fun more people started joining. What I mean by that is focus on the general rules, but don't worry to much about the more nebulous concepts in go like moyo, or aji too much. By the end of this term, maybe I will have some tips on how to actually keep members interested. Also focus on keeping games close when they are learning, no one likes to be crushed.

I heard 5x5 is key; it's short enough that people don't get bored or lost and it makes certain things very plain, like 'keep your poo poo connected or you lose'. Occasionally people roll up to my club who are in the 20k range and while we usually try to give them a good teaching game it seems like it would be impossible to get any good at go if you didn't play online. At the rate of one or two teaching games a week it would take a long loving time.

Anyway, my understanding is the best way is just 5x5 against another nub, no komi, and don't even explain poo poo like ko or seki or l&d until it comes up. Try to play as many games as possible.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Under 15 posted:

I heard 5x5 is key; it's short enough that people don't get bored or lost and it makes certain things very plain, like 'keep your poo poo connected or you lose'. Occasionally people roll up to my club who are in the 20k range and while we usually try to give them a good teaching game it seems like it would be impossible to get any good at go if you didn't play online. At the rate of one or two teaching games a week it would take a long loving time.

Anyway, my understanding is the best way is just 5x5 against another nub, no komi, and don't even explain poo poo like ko or seki or l&d until it comes up. Try to play as many games as possible.

I'd printed off a 9x9 board and was doing pretty well having two newbies play each other on that. 5x5 seems like even a 20k could figure out that opening at 3-3 is bulletproof. Low point of my experience so far has been running into a guy from chess club at a bar where we'd been playing, I invite him to play with us, he agrees, then talks about his life philosophy for an hour, not playing a move after the 10th or so, no matter how many times I cough and try to nudge the board at him :( Tease.

loud dildo
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
They made me do it.
vvv

loud dildo fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 3, 2011

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

BaconBits posted:

I cough and try to a 20k skill's and was doing of my experience so far has pointed off a guy for so far how each of my each others we'd been talks about him to nudge that of my experience so far where we'd been there, of my each other how point opening a bar where has bulletproof. Low point of my experience so far where we'd pretty we'd been running pretty we'd been play experience so far having two newbies I could figure out there hour, not play with or so far where the agrees, that. 5x5 seems lifely.

I don't get it, did you suddenly contract aphasia?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

BaconBits posted:

They made me do it.
vvv

I asked you to post, but not that

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Players that take 5 minutes a go and then play all their moves in the last 10 seconds before sudden death are pricks!!

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 9, 2011

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
Tygem just launched their English site: http://www.tygembaduk.com/

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Is the client and server worth signing up for?

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
I think it's pretty neat, you've got 9d games going on almost all the time. A lot of famous pros play there incognito. They also have live relays from pro tournaments and they seem to be planning to do some lectures and stuff for westerners at some point, although there's nothing there yet. KGS should be fine for playing games until you're like 6d KGS though. After that it's a bit tough to get games on there and you end up playing the same people all the time

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Prodigious posted:

I think it's pretty neat, you've got 9d games going on almost all the time. A lot of famous pros play there incognito. They also have live relays from pro tournaments and they seem to be planning to do some lectures and stuff for westerners at some point, although there's nothing there yet. KGS should be fine for playing games until you're like 6d KGS though. After that it's a bit tough to get games on there and you end up playing the same people all the time

Tygem seems to be better than oro, anyway. It's still impersonal as hell though

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
You can also bet on the outcome of the games on Tygem!

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
So two Saturdays ago (Mar 5) I went to a Go tournament! It was a handicap tournament (games are handicapped according to rank if there's a difference in rank), and how well you did was based on your percentage of wins (as long as you played at least 4 games). Although I didn't think it was the best tournament system, I was really there just to have fun. Despite not really playing in ages, I signed up as a 2k, and went 2 wins to 2 losses, which was better than expected. Also I suppose I'm an official AGA member now? Hopefully they'll add me to the list of players sometime soon.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Hello there, I entered the room today. I learned to play the game a few years ago and I didn't remember getting past 20k. Now I'm back and I'm 16k for some reason. :psyduck:

If there are any beginners around here come be my raibaru in the true KGS spirit!

(I kinda hate KGS)

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Symbolic Butt posted:

Hello there, I entered the room today. I learned to play the game a few years ago and I didn't remember getting past 20k. Now I'm back and I'm 16k for some reason. :psyduck:

If there are any beginners around here come be my raibaru in the true KGS spirit!

(I kinda hate KGS)

If you hate KGS, then try another server and find out just how bad it can be

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The first server I played was Oro I think and every dude who played me (and naturally beat me) seemed to get offended by my ineptitude.

So welp.

Wrojin
Nov 10, 2008

Quixoticist

Symbolic Butt posted:

Hello there, I entered the room today.

What room? I haven't played in fifteen years or so and I'm trying to build up the guts to try playing online. I used to be 4k -- Canadian Go Association rating. I probably rate at 100k right now.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Wrojin posted:

What room? I haven't played in fifteen years or so and I'm trying to build up the guts to try playing online. I used to be 4k -- Canadian Go Association rating. I probably rate at 100k right now.

You can always create a throwaway account like "30kmastsa" and then ditch it when you feel less embarrassed. That's the good thing about being online you can always create a new account, so there is no need to build up guts! You are faceless and no one knows who you are. Join already :colbert:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
So, I'd like to get into playing go more, but I also would like to do it without getting out of bed. Sensei's library says that there's no KGS client for iphone, but there are ones for IGS and DGS. Does anyone have an opinion on which of those is better? Or know of a way to use KGS on an iphone?

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

So, I'd like to get into playing go more, but I also would like to do it without getting out of bed. Sensei's library says that there's no KGS client for iphone, but there are ones for IGS and DGS. Does anyone have an opinion on which of those is better? Or know of a way to use KGS on an iphone?

If your iphone is jail broken you can install android and play that way. Here is a video of someone doing it.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

IGS has higher standards but the interface and social options are so retarded and awkward that I can't imagine why someone under like, 1d, would want to use it

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

IGS has higher standards but the interface and social options are so retarded and awkward that I can't imagine why someone under like, 1d, would want to use it

Yeah, in all honesty learning go is so difficult and awkward that depersonalizing it further by playing on your phone is going to be absolutely horrible. The quality of games you are going to get on any server when you are below 16k is very very low, and when your choices are between a Japanese server where nobody ever talks, even in Japanese, and a PBEM server where you can spend three days playing out a Jackson Pollock-esque game, you'd be better served just making time to play with someone you can communicate with and learn from.

When you're starting out in go, I think the key is to play a lot of quick matches to get some literacy in the game, and get a lot of reviews to hammer in the basic concepts, and between DGS and IGS that just isn't gonna work. You'd be better served dragging your laptop into bed, if your cat will tolerate the bed-warming competition. There's a few programs out there that have life and death problems, which are by comparison really really good to do on your phone. If you do a couple sets of Ye Babbiest Problemes and get them down pat, you will blast the poo poo out of other nublets and get strong quickly.

Long story short, being less than about 12k isn't really fun at all but with a little elbow grease you could be there from a full stop in less than a month.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
The Android app is ehh. I wouldn't bother breaking your iPhone in order to install it. KGS is the best server for beginners in regards to getting reviews, teaching games, etc but IGS has more players.

KGS is the most user friendly and beginner friendly, once you have some vague idea of what you're doing I'd say feel free to branch out, but KGS is the best overall.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
The android app works wonderfully on tablets though :)
Tried it out on a Xoom and it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Buffis posted:

The android app works wonderfully on tablets though :)
Tried it out on a Xoom and it was great.

It works fine for me on a phone, but I imagine it would be great on a tablet.