Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

WarpedLichen posted:

The Dashi in MW4:Mercs can fit 3 LBX-20s I believe. You can one shot most heavies and 2 shot assaults if you hit torso.

You have 0 longevity but you have more than enough ammo to finish every mission so who cares. MW4 really does have a nice balance between ballistics and lasers for the most part since you're in slugging matches with a few mechs most of the missions and the amount of fire power ballistics in a short time frame is perfect for the brawling matches.

I think the fact that you instantly shut down at a set temperature regardless of heatsinks also helps.

It can fit 3 LBX-20s, but the range limitations sometimes make it hard to get into play. Guass Rifles fit well on there too, though.

As for the automatic shutdown, there is always the override. Sure, you lose out on a lot of your hud from the heat, but it doesn't really carry most of the disadvantages overheating does in the tabletop game. Unless you overheat too much. Then you just flat out explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Putting 4 ER PPCs on a Awesome owns. I bet there has been bright young Awesome pilots who thought 3 PPCs weren't enough, and needed more. Then they end up a baked carcass in the cockpit

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Popy posted:

Putting 4 ER PPCs on a Awesome owns. I bet there has been bright young Awesome pilots who thought 3 PPCs weren't enough, and needed more. Then they end up a baked carcass in the cockpit

Inner Sphere 'mechs aren't customizable without potentially decades of work redesigning them. You can jury-rig a weapon in, but unless it's the same size/tonnage as the one you're replacing, it'll through your 'Mech out of balance AND be nearly impossible to aim.

Latest update is here: Hostage Situation: Tactical Update 5

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

That, I was not expecting. But still, :hellyeah:!

Okay, my plan right now is to hold still and beat the hell out of convenient targets. This turn, that means either the Vindie or the Zhukov. Not sure which to eat into first. The snipers are probably gonna start putting down some Death Commando infantry.

E: Nevermind, misread.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Thinking oh hitting D2 with the PPC,1 Large Laser, and Medium laser. By my math that should let me sink enough heat to not be overheating next round.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Quick question: so K3, which is in the middle of the map, is carrying S3, which will be arriving in 3 turns? Also, am I the one giving orders to K3?

Tempest, bunnyofdoom, it looks like D3 (the Cataphract ace) has decided to make himself your problem instead of ours. You should make good use of my Eights to Aces and scatter his 'mech to the four winds.

Music of the Round: Fuel

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Quick question: so K3, which is in the middle of the map, is carrying S3, which will be arriving in 3 turns? Also, am I the one giving orders to K3?

Typo, fixed. K3 is being piloted by one of Scout Platoon, yes, but it's not under your control.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
So, I'm thinking I fire my mediums and small laser at the Zukov and my AC/20 at the Cataphract. That sound like a plan, guys?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
With your base accuracy, splitting targets probably isn't wise.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PoptartsNinja posted:

Inner Sphere 'mechs aren't customizable without potentially decades of work redesigning them. You can jury-rig a weapon in, but unless it's the same size/tonnage as the one you're replacing, it'll through your 'Mech out of balance AND be nearly impossible to aim.

Actually under the Strategic Ops rules a lot of modifications of IS mechs are possible (though really extensive ones like changing to Endo Steel or adding CASE requires factory-level equipment), and in the original BT timeline that's how a lot of IS tech upgrades were done, by sending specially designed refit kits out. The Slayer for example, being pretty good for an aerospace fighter as-is, just got kits to pop in an LB-10X in shipped out to the fields for installation. You can do a non-refit kit customization, but the time doubles and Tech skill check mods go WAY up for anything extensive. Basically not usually feasible for extensive changes though unless you've got time, techs, and/or money to burn. And for the fanciest stuff of course you'd need an agreement with a Battlemech factory (good luck trying to convince somebody like Defiance to let you drag a Mech to a plant without ridiculous charges if you aren't their House's military).

EDIT:

Polaron posted:

So, I'm thinking I fire my mediums and small laser at the Zukov and my AC/20 at the Cataphract. That sound like a plan, guys?

Splitting fire adds mods to your to-hit roll for the second target; unless you've got a good chance to nail the secondary target (which I'd make whichever you don't target with the AC/20, no sense making THAT have trouble hitting) I would just concentrate fire on whichever of those two you can hit easier.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Typo, fixed. K3 is being piloted by one of Scout Platoon, yes, but it's not under your control.
Well, kindly tell the pilot that the platoon should probably go flank the SRM carrier.

Red_Mage, it looks like your tech platoon and Polaron should press forward while me and you start setting those tanks on fire. I've got mobility, but you've got the range thanks to those LRM's, so how about I handle V2 and you take V3?

Polaron, I seem to recall that splitting your targets in a round adds a penalty to all your shots, and your gunnery skill isn't very terrific. Unless it's directly life-threatening, I don't think you should be splitting your targets. And as I've pointed out before, I think the Cataphract is the most dangerous enemy on the board, so if Sure Shot, gently caress You, and Stubby were to focus on him while we all know where he'll be, we might just get a lucky shot in.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Polaron posted:

No. Don't split your fire. We do this, we all should beat that Cataphract down.

I just did the math - I've got 6s on the Cataphract. I'm giving him the full salvo. Both ACs and both larges. He is going down.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
All right, then. That Zukov is just pointing at me and that worries me.

Let's try smiting the Cataphract again, then!

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
If I could close range on that cataphract it would be nice.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Red_Mage posted:

If I could close range on that cataphract it would be nice.

He's in medium range for you; just a few steps to the left would put you in short range for the LRM's. But as much as I've been pumping up the Cat, it's not the only dangerous thing on the map, and if three of the others are going to dogpile it, we should consider our options.

Oh, and if you're going to close range, please move to 1320 instead of 1220; I'm going to run for the divot to get some cover.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I would appreciate it if someone would kill that Zukov before it decides to shoot me. Not only is it right in my face but it's keeping me from closing to point-blank range with the Cataphract.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Should I move at take out the Zhukov?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I can handle the Zhukov, bunny. You worry about the Cat.

Polaron posted:

I would appreciate it if someone would kill that Zukov before it decides to shoot me. Not only is it right in my face but it's keeping me from closing to point-blank range with the Cataphract.
You're twisted left, correct? I think you can reach 1217 if you run, and then you'd be out of the Zhukov's firing arc with a great shot at the Cat.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Can I ever hit the cat at the range I'm at? Rember, I'm -1 to hit due to heat

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Can I ever hit the cat at the range I'm at? Rember, I'm -1 to hit due to heat

Looks to me like you've got 7s - 4 base + 1 heat + 1 target move + 1 light woods. Range 4, so the PPC/LLs are in short range. +2 for the range bracket for the MLs.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Tempest_56 posted:

Looks to me like you've got 7s - 4 base + 1 heat + 1 target move + 1 light woods. Range 4, so the PPC/LLs are in short range. +2 for the range bracket for the MLs.

I suck at measuring ranges then, cause d3, which is the cat, seems to be more than 4 away...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arglebargle III posted:

When did an Abra(h?)ms tank come up?
Every god-damned day on the official forums.

PoptartsNinja posted:

No, you can't, unless you're using clan weapons. Really, the Clans have no reason to ever field a Gauss Rifle (13 tons for 15 damage and 1 heat with 8 shots) when they can field an ER PPC and 7 heat sinks (13 tons for 15 damage and 1 heat with unlimited shots).
Have you ever heard of Gausszilla? That alone is why the Clans use them.

I'd like to see someone put five ERPPC on a mech and fire it every round.

Pinguliten posted:

There really is no point in getting the starter box anymore.
Have you looked at the contents of the new box? If not, you really should (24 January 2011 item).

Zaodai posted:

As for the automatic shutdown, there is always the override. Sure, you lose out on a lot of your hud from the heat, but it doesn't really carry most of the disadvantages overheating does in the tabletop game. Unless you overheat too much. Then you just flat out explode.
There is a lot to be said for taking Flamers to the Factory.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

I'd like to see someone put five ERPPC on a mech and fire it every round.
Have you looked at the contents of the new box? If not, you really should (24 January 2011 item).

If you have the tonnage for 5 gauss rifles plus ammo, you have the tonnage for five PPCs and enough heat sinks to use them; especially since I'm pretty sure you won't have enough internal slots to mount five gauss rifles.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

I suck at measuring ranges then, cause d3, which is the cat, seems to be more than 4 away...
You are looking at the black D3, right? Poptarts mentions just below the image that the black one is where he's at right now, and since I used the ability that drops his initiative, he basically got to move twice. Anyway, even if it were 5 squares, most of your weapons would still hit him at short range. I'd just recommend against firing everything so you have a chance to cool down.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Okay, you're looking at the green D3. That's where it moved this turn, after we did. But Bobbin used Eights to Aces, so it moved before we did this turn - to the black D3. It's coming right at us and is nearly point blank.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Ah! It seems so simple. And it seems like this is the first time, we, as a team, communicated. Also, my sapper is going move north and try again for pyrotechniques

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Popy posted:

Well, theres's still the canon AWS-9Q. They're not ER, but 4 PPCs with 19 DHS backing them up makes it the true spiritual successor to the old classic. Putting in ECM for added survivability only sweetens the deal. That said, I'm hoping of seeing an AWS-8Q in action in the future of this thread. And for DI to write a presentation for it. No pressure. :3: It's pretty much my personal favourite Tech 1 assault Mech.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you have the tonnage for 5 gauss rifles plus ammo, you have the tonnage for five PPCs and enough heat sinks to use them; especially since I'm pretty sure you won't have enough internal slots to mount five gauss rifles.

You can't fit more than 4 ERPPCs on a mech with heat-neutrality. The Hellstar does it by having no critical slots filled with anything other than ERPPCs and a very large 380XL engine.

More importantly, remember DHS space. An ERPPC + 7.5 DHS takes up "only" 13.5 tons, yes, but also requires 17 critical slots. There's the 10 [20] free engine heatsinks which skew the balance, but that's why most mechs should mount at least some energy armament.

A Clan Gauss Rifle + 0.5 DHS + 2t ammo is 14.5 tons, but is only 9 critical slots. It's more optimal to mix ERPPCs and Clan Gauss Rifles.

A 100 ton Clan assault can mount 2 ERPPCs and 3 Gauss Rifles (with 16 shots each) and enough heat sinks to only overheat by 1 from a running alpha strike, and 96% armor, with just a XL Fusion and Endosteel. Remove 1 ton of the gauss ammunition (so 40 shots total between 3 GRs) if you want 100% armor.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

5 GR + 8T ammo works out at 68 tons, 38 crits.
5 ERPPC + 38DHS works out at 68 tons, 86 crits.

Gausszilla is a canon mech design, in Record Sheets: Operation Klondike. As far as I can tell it has double heatsinks solely solely so it can have exactly two free crit slots.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm not saying there's never a reason to field a gauss rifle. Just... if you're only going to field one weapon, why would you field a Clan Gauss over a Clan ER PPC?

Regardless, one of the Wolf Spider variants does field a gauss. They playtested pretty well, too (which is to say: the gauss variant got killed by a headshot before turn five both times I tried to field it).

The Gauss Rifle is still a godsend for the Inner Sphere, though.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 14, 2011

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm not saying there's never a reason to field a gauss rifle. Just... if you're only going to field one weapon, why would you field a Clan Gauss over a Clan ER PPC?

Regardless, one of the Wolf Spider variants does field a gauss. They playtested pretty well, too (which is to say: the gauss variant got killed by a headshot before turn five both times I tried to field it).

The Gauss Rifle is still a godsend for the Inner Sphere, though.

Past the 10 free heatsinks, the gauss rifle with 16 shots doesn't weigh much more than a ERPPC if you want heat neutrality.

Which mech was the Wolf Spider again? Couldn't find it on Sarna. I know the Cougar C mounted a gauss rifle, but it also mounted 5 ER Medium Lasers, and this way it could use its gauss rifle alongside its ERMLs, which is actually not a bad idea.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well the physical ability to do so for one. The ERPPC is great if it's the sole weapon on a mech, but balistics start coming into their own two or three guns after that.

Think about it.

That Anihilator can fire every gun, every turn, for twelve turns, while running and still have three heat left over..... WITH TWO ENGINE HITS. That poo poo be some efficient headcapping.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MJ12 posted:

Which mech was the Wolf Spider again? Couldn't find it on Sarna. I know the Cougar C mounted a gauss rifle, but it also mounted 5 ER Medium Lasers, and this way it could use its gauss rifle alongside its ERMLs, which is actually not a bad idea.

Is a custom for this LP. It's been described in a single story post.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Really, Clantech ER Medium, Large Pulse Laser, ER PPC and LRM20 are unbalanced compared to all other weapons and so making Clantech designs that are good is like falling out of a tree. They really need tweaked, but they have been untouched for too long at this point to do anything but raise their BV.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, the arms-race of the game has been a long source of irritation for me, regardless of my occasional love for later tech (RACs <3).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Eh, most new IS equipment is better but only in a specific situation, like the HGR or stealth armor. I'm okay with stuff like that. I do think the new Plasma Rifle is way too good, though.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Defiance Industries posted:

Eh, most new IS equipment is better but only in a specific situation, like the HGR or stealth armor. I'm okay with stuff like that. I do think the new Plasma Rifle is way too good, though.

The HGR is a colossal pile. Too much buck, not enough bang. Stealth Armor, RACs, various newtype ammos, the Light/Snub/Heavy PPCs - all excellent toys. Once you hit around 3067, the game comes to a solid balance again, like the old 3025 days but with more options.

EDIT: The ultra ACs would be excellent, well balanced weapons if they didn't use the cluster weapon chart but instead gave you two to-hit rolls.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

It's an amazing primary weapon in numbers (due to the unique combination of damage + heat) but it's not all that much better than the PPC, since you lose some range and require ammunition now for the extra versatility that the +1d6 heat (+2d6 damage to vehicles/infantry) gives. It's actually balanced with, as I understand, the Light/Heavy PPCs, which are both more efficient than the standard PPC at no cost. (2 HPPCs is 20 tons to the 21 tons of 3 PPCs, 2 LPPCs is 6 tons to the 7 tons of 1 PPC).

And of course, if facing down certain foes with certain toys, it does no damage at all.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kenlon posted:

The HGR is a colossal pile. Too much buck, not enough bang. Stealth Armor, RACs, various newtype ammos, the Light/Snub/Heavy PPCs - all excellent toys. Once you hit around 3067, the game comes to a solid balance again, like the old 3025 days but with more options.

EDIT: The ultra ACs would be excellent, well balanced weapons if they didn't use the cluster weapon chart but instead gave you two to-hit rolls.

HGRs strongly reward exact maneuvering and ambushes and such. I like weapons like that which are exacting. If you want a "really good all purpose gun" take the experimental iHGR which does a flat 22 damage at all ranges.

I don't like HGRs for efficiency or optimal builds. I think they are a fun weapon because when you corner your opponent with a Fafnir at six hexes, there is no better "HERE COMES THE TRAIN MOTHERFUCKER!" moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Still waiting on several 'Mechwarriors... and I'm a bit grumpy 'cause I just had (an admittedly minor) surgery. C'mon, guys, I don't want to replace anyone.

• Locked thread