Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

SteadfastMeat posted:

How do I make the pinky finger on my fretting hand get swole as gently caress so I can actually use it when I'm playing rather than it just curling up when I use my ring finger. Seriously, all my other fingers behave themselves but my pinky just flails around wildly and it's starting to get annoying, are there any special excercises I can do or something

also I broke my flats cherry the other day and stuck some Rotosound 77s on my Ibanez SRX430, these things sound gorgeous (the highs and mids actually have a bit of depth to them instead of sounding tinny! Praise Allah)

code:
GI-------------------------1-2-3-4-I-2-3-4-5-------------------------I
DI-----------------1-2-3-4---------I---------2-3-4-5-----------------I
AI---------1-2-3-4-----------------I-----------------2-3-4-5---------I
EI-1-2-3-4-------------------------I-------------------------2-3-4-5-I
Repeat 1000 times. Also check out the book "Bass Fitness".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly

SteadfastMeat posted:

How do I make the pinky finger on my fretting hand get swole as gently caress so I can actually use it when I'm playing rather than it just curling up when I use my ring finger. Seriously, all my other fingers behave themselves but my pinky just flails around wildly and it's starting to get annoying, are there any special excercises I can do or something

Right now, my pinky and index finger do most of the work. Work out some scales that are four frets long and use your index finger for #1 and your pinky for #4. Practice practice practice.

And beaten...

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

SteadfastMeat posted:

A button pops out if you grab it and sharply twist 90 degrees to the left. Pressing this button puts the pinky in super virtuoso mode, making swole as gently caress.

No seriously though, you need to practice a hell of a lot.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

gotly posted:

code:

Yup.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I brought my guitar head to practice today to make sure it was working OK since I just got it out of the shop. I played through it the whole time and it was pretty great. It's a 60w Reverend which is pretty much a Bassman circuit and I was playing it through an SWR 4x10. I have to say I'm seriously considering making this a permanent thing and selling my GK combo. The only thing holding me back is the wattage issue. It was loud enough for practice and I doubt I would need more volume for this band at least. I would also think about upgrading in the future to something a little more powerful that I could use for guitar or bass, like an Ampeg V4 or a Hiwatt (in my dreams).

So basically I may have just given myself tube fever. I hope my VTBass->GK will keep me satisfied at my next practice, because I REALLY hate dealing with selling things.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Narwhale posted:

I brought my guitar head to practice today to make sure it was working OK since I just got it out of the shop. I played through it the whole time and it was pretty great. It's a 60w Reverend which is pretty much a Bassman circuit and I was playing it through an SWR 4x10. I have to say I'm seriously considering making this a permanent thing and selling my GK combo. The only thing holding me back is the wattage issue. It was loud enough for practice and I doubt I would need more volume for this band at least. I would also think about upgrading in the future to something a little more powerful that I could use for guitar or bass, like an Ampeg V4 or a Hiwatt (in my dreams).

So basically I may have just given myself tube fever. I hope my VTBass->GK will keep me satisfied at my next practice, because I REALLY hate dealing with selling things.

The things I would do for a Hiwatt rig, new or vintage, you have no idea... They're very hard to find around here though. Also far more expensive than I can currently justify.

I am very curious about the Bugera 1960 head though. I know Behringer gear can be a crap-shoot quality wise but I've heard a lot of good things about the Bugera amps. A cheap DR 103 clone may just be too much for me to resist.

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

gotly posted:

code:

Except, start at the top of the neck and go down, so it'll be easier at first and increase in difficulty.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bill Posters posted:

The things I would do for a Hiwatt rig, new or vintage, you have no idea... They're very hard to find around here though. Also far more expensive than I can currently justify.

I am very curious about the Bugera 1960 head though. I know Behringer gear can be a crap-shoot quality wise but I've heard a lot of good things about the Bugera amps. A cheap DR 103 clone may just be too much for me to resist.

The most faithful HiWatt amps are now made by Reeve's: http://www.reevesamps.com/custom225.htm

And I want one.

Edit: Also their soundclips are hilariously poorly played. Probably by a guitarist...

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 14, 2011

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Oh hey guys, check out a $5k Ibanez:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e1xXQUOIig

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

The most faithful HiWatt amps are now made by Reeve's: http://www.reevesamps.com/custom225.htm

And I want one.

Edit: Also their soundclips are hilariously poorly played. Probably by a guitarist...

There are some kits out there that are supposed to be faithful and a bit cheaper (Vintage Hiwatt Restorations is supposed to be the best). Unfortunately, with my knowledge and skills it would be $1000 wasted on parts or I would kill myself trying. I wish my electrical engineer guitarist hadn't moved.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
This spring I want to start offering lessons in my area and take on a few students. Problem is, I've never taught bass lessons before and I'm not quite sure where to begin... I've been trying to break down different concepts into lesson-plans, but the way I approach stuff, certain ideas/techniques are all interdependent on other ideas/techniques that it's becoming very difficult and confusing on how to approach each.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips on drawing up lesson-plans?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Scarf posted:

Be ready to throw them out because all this kid wants to do is learn this sweet Sum 41 song not your faggy scales and exercises, GOD

:sigh:

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Scarf posted:

This spring I want to start offering lessons in my area and take on a few students. Problem is, I've never taught bass lessons before and I'm not quite sure where to begin... I've been trying to break down different concepts into lesson-plans, but the way I approach stuff, certain ideas/techniques are all interdependent on other ideas/techniques that it's becoming very difficult and confusing on how to approach each.

I do lessons occasionally, and the first thing I figure out is what the student already knows (if anything). The best lessons are tailored around the student; if you have a uniform lesson that you'll just teach to everyone, you'll meet with varying degrees of success. Some will already know what you're talking about, and some will have no clue what's happening. With every student you take, I'd advise making the first lesson a preliminary one-go over some basics, ask the student what they're familiar with, lay down some shared terminology. After that first lesson, you can start putting together lessons based around what they want to know and what they can already do, at a speed and language they'll understand. Most of my students already have at least a passing familiarity with the instrument, though, so starting from scratch is a whole different ballgame.

I dunno if this helped or not, but here ya go.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Be ready to throw them out because all this kid wants to do is learn this sweet Sum 41 song not your faggy scales and exercises, GOD

:sigh:

Yeah, I know those kids will be bound to turn up... But hey, cash is king. I'm basically doing this so I can buy a drat upright and take lessons myself.

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I do lessons occasionally, and the first thing I figure out is what the student already knows (if anything). The best lessons are tailored around the student; if you have a uniform lesson that you'll just teach to everyone, you'll meet with varying degrees of success. Some will already know what you're talking about, and some will have no clue what's happening. With every student you take, I'd advise making the first lesson a preliminary one-go over some basics, ask the student what they're familiar with, lay down some shared terminology. After that first lesson, you can start putting together lessons based around what they want to know and what they can already do, at a speed and language they'll understand. Most of my students already have at least a passing familiarity with the instrument, though, so starting from scratch is a whole different ballgame.

I dunno if this helped or not, but here ya go.

Yeah, and to be honest, I feel more comfortable offering lessons to intermediate players looking to advance their technique. Trying to teach someone completely new to the instrument scares the hell out of me.

Also, I'm wondering if I should try and work with one of the local music shops to host the lessons...

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 14, 2011

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Scarf posted:

Maybe you could find some other people's course structures and start with those? There's probably a good standard system that's been honed over the years, with a sensible progression that makes sure certain things have been covered when you reach each milestone. Really what you actually cover comes down to the individual student, but you'll want them to have certain knowledge and skills at the end of each stage.

I haven't taught music but I've taught English, and in that field you don't want to cover too much in each lesson - do one or two basic concepts and approach them in different ways, and then you can build on that or reference it in future lessons. Also you generally have an initial session with the student where you work out where they're at, what they know and what they don't and try to make sure it's all covered in your scheme of work - which will be easier if you're doing one-to-one lessons

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Scarf posted:

Yeah, I know those kids will be bound to turn up... But hey, cash is king. I'm basically doing this so I can buy a drat upright and take lessons myself.

Yeah, and to be honest, I feel more comfortable offering lessons to intermediate players looking to advance their technique. Trying to teach someone completely new to the instrument scares the hell out of me.

Also, I'm wondering if I should try and work with one of the local music shops to host the lessons...

99% of your lessons would be brand new kids. Intermediate players rarely take lessons (or at least, take lessons from anyone other than the baddest pro players in the area - if that's you then go for it.)

Hosting through a music shop can be steadier income wise but god drat is it soul crushing, especially in a situation where someone buying an instrument gets X number of free lessons. Be prepared to bang your head against a kid that comes in every week saying they haven't practiced anything from last week for four weeks, and then having them disappear when they have to pay for lessons.

Can you tell I don't like teaching lessons? I don't like teaching lessons.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

99% of your lessons would be brand new kids. Intermediate players rarely take lessons (or at least, take lessons from anyone other than the baddest pro players in the area - if that's you then go for it.)

Hosting through a music shop can be steadier income wise but god drat is it soul crushing, especially in a situation where someone buying an instrument gets X number of free lessons. Be prepared to bang your head against a kid that comes in every week saying they haven't practiced anything from last week for four weeks, and then having them disappear when they have to pay for lessons.

Can you tell I don't like teaching lessons? I don't like teaching lessons.

Well new to bass, and new to music are altogether two different things...

There is an ABUNDANCE (like many places I'm sure) of guitar players who are currently playing bass in bands around here, and have no idea how to play bass. I desperately want to help them... because I'm so loving sick of having to listen to them play when I'm out at the bars. But yeah, I understand that attracting those people for lessons simply may not happen, at all.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I love the bi-annual "Holy gently caress why do Foderas cost so goddamn much" Talkbass thread shitfest so much.

quote:

Anytime you want to drop by the shop and show us how to do it less expensively, with the same materials and craftsmanship and still allow us to keep the doors open, please feel free to drop me a direct line at:

xxx

I would be most eager to learn as I am Joey and Vinny's business partner and I still have not figured out this magic formula...

The reality as that the AJ Presentation is priced where it needs to be for us to build it and stay in business. And, I might add, Bryan's comment about the $2 bottle of Coke is dead on...the profit margin on that is probably 5-10 TIMES higher than what we make selling an AJ Presentation.

Really? REALLY? I can't believe he could type that and keep a straight face.

If they didn't sell that bass for TWENTY loving GRAND they'd go out of business? Really?! Because they're doing something that Chris Stambaugh, Carey Nordstrand, George Furlanatto, or any other uber-high-end custom manufacturer isn't?

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I love the bi-annual "Holy gently caress why do Foderas cost so goddamn much" Talkbass thread shitfest so much.

If they didn't sell that bass for TWENTY loving GRAND they'd go out of business? Really?! Because they're doing something that Chris Stambaugh, Carey Nordstrand, George Furlanatto, or any other uber-high-end custom manufacturer isn't?

Well, to play devil's advocate, while the cost of materials is probably relatively high (though nowhere near the total of $20-24K), considering the time on the luthier's behalf to craft an instrument is something to consider. I've read of small time (I.E., charging a little bit more than an off the shelf high end bass for your very own one of a kind) calculating the time spent per instrument (100+ hours over 3+ months) ends up being $10-15 per hour. I'm not competely defending this example because I agree $20K for a bass that wasn't made to every last of your personal specs is a bit steep, but we are talking about Fodera here, and they are one of the best of the best of boutique bass shops.

On the other hand;

Scarf posted:

Oh hey guys, check out a $5k Ibanez:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e1xXQUOIig

$5K for an off the shelf Ibanez even if it is the best they can create, is loving ridiculous. And I even play an Ibanez as my "main" bass.

Action Jesus fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 15, 2011

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The only good point brought up in that thread is: who knows what sort of salary the Fodera folks are paying themselves? They may not be making much "profit," but they're almost certainly not building basses for the love of it. I would also guess that Fodera's rent, taxes, and utilities are crazy high compared to the other manufacturers you cite. Even so, it's probably not enough of a differential to justify their price relative to other boutique luthiers.

In my experience (sample size, 1 bass), they're not worth their asking price, but there are obviously many players out there who feel differently.

Speaking of boutiques, I'm trading my Skjold for a Modulus Oteil Burbridge sig this week, if all goes well. It's basically a semi-hollow Quantum 6 with an ankh inlaid in the fretboard, which I could take or leave, but from the clips, it nails the tone I go for, and I've always loved the look of them.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

They cost a lot because they cost a lot. I'm ok with that; that's how it is with most things in life. I don't really get how people can complain about the price of a luxury item like that. Especially when there are so many options like the ones you listed.

I think that business partner is pretty lame. Although it doesn't really matter, they shouldn't have to defend themselves at all.

I like boutique instruments, but I don't really dig on Fodera. I always feel so self-conscious playing fun pop music with a boutique instrument. I feel like I gotta be playing Spyro Gyra or something. I'm still saving my pennies up for a Ken Lawrence though...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I would have had no issue with dude saying "Look guys, it's a Fodera, we think it's the best bass in the world, pay our luthiers a shitload, and charge accordingly."

But to say that they literally can't charge less than 20k for that bass or else they won't be able to keep the lights on is either shamefully disingenuous or that company is horribly mismanaged.

Asserting that Foderas are this entire other plane of quality compared to all the other guys who can build an instrument perfectly is also ridiculous. Plenty of guys use the best woods available and make a flawless instrument, the differences are personal preference.

It doesn't make me mad or anything, I just think it's really funny. I'm also not sure why someone would buy a Fodera when there are so many dudes making just-as-incredible instruments for fractions of the price, but I guess some people really want that butterfly on the headstock.

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

Yeah I'll agree to that. I typically like that guy's posts on TB but that's a pretty :smug: stance to take that they're barely breaking even on an electric bass guitar that costs $20,000, even if it is a Fodera. Some posters in that thread liken it to $50,000 pianos or $20,000 upright basses, but that to me is a pretty off comparison seeing as those things require near-shipbuilding levels of construction to begin with

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I'd rather have an Alembic at that price anyway :colbert:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Action Jesus posted:

Some posters in that thread liken it to $50,000 pianos or $20,000 upright basses, but that to me is a pretty off comparison seeing as those things require near-shipbuilding levels of construction to begin with

Having played a $20,000 upright once, it's more a matter of how wood ages, especially in an acoustic instrument. I've never played a Fodera but I'm willing to bet the tone doesn't get better the more it ages, more or less stays the same.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Right, a 20k upright is probably over 100 years old, or at least all the ones I've played in that price range have been.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So, tonight is going to be a new one for me.

My bass teacher invited me to a jam session.
Going to be four other people, and a live drumkit.

gently caress yes.

Also its all girls other than me. Pretty sure I've got the best bass teacher in the world.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Anyone who was on the fence about delving through studybass.com really should give it a shot - I'm not going to see my teacher for a few weeks so I thought I'd brush up on some different things and it's amazing. Using the note order in the circle of fifths to memorize the fret numbers/positions of each note and the theory simultaneously? Genius!

There are a bunch of resources on building blues basslines in the I-IV-V progression sequence and variations, but what about other forms of music? Rock, Country, Funk, etc.? Are there similar patterns and resources I can use?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Right, a 20k upright is probably over 100 years old, or at least all the ones I've played in that price range have been.

Yeah the one I played was made in the 19th century in Vienna.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Couple of questions:

1) Any thoughts on the Ampeg B2RE (USA made). Found one at a good price, mint condition, and I really, really want an ampeg. I played through one REALLY briefly and I liked it; but it wasnt much time.

2) Any suggestions on exercises / gaining speed? I swear to god, my speed is poo poo. I can play and improvise and whatnot, but god drat if I try to play 16ths at any sort of pace and I break down like :lol:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Walked posted:

Couple of questions:

1) Any thoughts on the Ampeg B2RE (USA made). Found one at a good price, mint condition, and I really, really want an ampeg. I played through one REALLY briefly and I liked it; but it wasnt much time.

I have the older B2R as my main gigging amp and it's done quite well for me. A lot of people complain that the solid-state Ampegs are very sterile sounding, and lack that classic Ampeg color, but that's a bit unfair seeing as how anything with Ampeg on it is automatically going to be compared to the SVT. Luckily if you really want that creamy Ampeg tube sound, you can always pick up a Tech 21 VT Bass and throw it in your signal chain.

Another complaint is that Ampeg overrates their amps in terms of wattage, saying that they're too quiet for how many watts they claim they have. The simple answer to that is to make use of your graphic EQ. There is a LOT of power in the EQ on those amps that typically goes unused.

I'd say go for it if you can get it at a good price.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Walked posted:

Couple of questions:

2) Any suggestions on exercises / gaining speed? I swear to god, my speed is poo poo. I can play and improvise and whatnot, but god drat if I try to play 16ths at any sort of pace and I break down like :lol:

1) Scarf has the better first hand experience. I've only looked at them when purchasing other amps and they fall short IMO. Ampeg is just the label on the amp, it doesn't have an Ampeg sound if that's what you are looking for. If you want that sound, get a VT Bass and a clean sounding/non colored amp. If you are getting it at a GREAT price, sure, there's no loss there since you can prob flip it without a loss.

2) Metronome, start slow. Work up. Slowly. It's the only way to be precise and fast. Also, try different locations for plucking or picking, whichever you are doing. There's more tension and better ability to go faster (IMO) at the bridge. I personally like J basses for this reason - when I pluck fast, I pull down into the bridge pickup and hit my anchored finger.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

1) Cool; thanks. I'm kinda sorta looking for the ampeg tone, yeah. The B2RE is at a pretty good price of $300, but not dead-set either.

How about a 350H? There's one local for $320 that I was going to check out.

2) That's what I figured. I'll just keep at it; I'm definitely WAY faster than I was a few months ago; I just dont have enough speed to satisfy my friends who like them some metal :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Walked posted:

1) Cool; thanks. I'm kinda sorta looking for the ampeg tone, yeah. The B2RE is at a pretty good price of $300, but not dead-set either.

How about a 350H? There's one local for $320 that I was going to check out.

It's the exact same amp shoved into a box that looks like an SVT Classic. You lose the convenience of rack-mount though. That is, if rack-mounting is important to you. And actually, I believe the B2RE has Speakon connections in the back, which is a definite bonus.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 18, 2011

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Scarf posted:

It's the exact same amp shoved into a box that looks like an SVT Classic. You lose the convenience of rack-mount though. That is, if rack-mounting is important to you.

Hah. Of course.

gently caress it; I'll just save some more for a better ampeg then.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I'm pretty dead set on jumping ship to go to Genz Benz though, unless Ampeg: 1) comes out with something that sounds even more amazing than the SVT, and 2) their prices drop like a ton of bricks...

Seriously, next time I'm in the market for an amp (which will be a while), I'm more than likely going to end up with a GB Streamliner or something similar.

The thing is, you don't need an Ampeg amp to get the "Ampeg sound" anymore. The guys at Tech 21 really nailed it with the VT Bass. Granted it won't give you the "feel" of blasting through a tube-amp, but dammit the tone is absolutely accurate.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hmm. Alright.

If I had $800(ish) to blow on an amp setup; looking for something 300-350W for smaller venue abilities - how would you suggest approaching it?

Right now I've got an acoustic B200 combo amp. It's not bad, and its pretty loud - but its totally uninspired and its not quick pushing as much noise as I'd like when paired up with a couple of the guitarists I jam with.

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008
How about a used SVT? They go for around $900 pretty frequently.

Edit: you are probably looking for head and cab, so never mind.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Walked posted:

Hmm. Alright.

If I had $800(ish) to blow on an amp setup; looking for something 300-350W for smaller venue abilities - how would you suggest approaching it?

Right now I've got an acoustic B200 combo amp. It's not bad, and its pretty loud - but its totally uninspired and its not quick pushing as much noise as I'd like when paired up with a couple of the guitarists I jam with.

Well, that's really a tough question because there are soooooo many ways to approach it with good outcomes... And it really is a more gradual process, which can be frustrating. I'm an impatient person myself, so when I want a new setup, I want ALL of it, NOW. But that's sometimes just isn't feasible.

First and foremost if you're really looking for that nice smooth ampeg rock tone, I'd get a VT Bass pedal. With the Deluxe model already out and the 2nd version coming this spring/summer (I think...) you should be able to find a used standard version for about sub-$100. And honestly, I'd start with that before moving any farther. Hell, if your B200 is already loud enough, just throw the VT into your signal chain and you may fall in love with the sound.

And since the B200 allows for an external speaker cabinet to be hooked up, that would be next step in my opinion; finding a good cabinet. When I'm playing with a single cab, I really prefer a 410 over a 115. I don't have much experience with 212s, so that could be an option as well. But I'm not sure if that would defeat the 115 that's built into the B200 combo to begin with. I think it's already at 4ohms, so I'm guessing maybe it does. If that's the case, you'd want to find a good 4ohm cabinet (which can be expensive) to maintain the 200w you're getting out of that amp (I'd talk to someone at Acoustic about this).

THEN once you have your VT and the extra cab, you can start thinking about a new amp and ditching the combo. It'll be a bit of a pain to lug the combo AND an extra cab around for a while, but this way I think it'll give you a chance to spend the money more gradually, possibly allowing you to save up some more for a better head.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Cool; I was kinda considering that.

A guy has an Aguilar GS410 locally at a really, really good price. So I think I'll just start with that.

I'll grab a VT pedal next, and THEN when I'm un-broke once again; look at new heads.