Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigSuave
Nov 15, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOOSE BOWELS
Landed in Bangkok last night. Didn't really sleep so I'm tucking in a bit early today.

Let me just say they aren't lying about the heat nor the smell. It's deceiving because the temperature doesn't look that bad but combined with the humidity I'm pretty much sweating like a pig as soon as I step outside.

I got my ticket a bit by the seat of my pants and didn't see a doctor for my hepatitis shots and whatnot before I go. Does anyone have a recommendation of a reputable doctor who speaks good English in Bangkok? Preferably one that doesn't charge white people an arm and a leg. Would be ideal if he was in the Siam Square or Silom area so I could get on the BTS but if anyone has any experience with this here I'm all ears.

My backup plan is just to go to one of the bigger hospitals/medical centers and ask them but I thought someone here might have some personal experience with these things. I'm a bit reluctant to get too adventurous with my food choices so far because I just had a friend catch Hep A and have to come home last month. Obviously I'd like to do this sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations. I know there was a rec for a good English-speaking dentist several pages back but that's obviously not what I'm looking for here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Call/PM me about doctors, I work in medical tourism. You'll be in good hands.

BigSuave
Nov 15, 2004

Well isn't that convenient. In that case I'll probably give you a ring in a couple hours and get those shots squared away before we go out tonight.

Bong Goblin
Jul 2, 2009
I recall reading that there are Red Cross facilities that will give you shots for a lot cheaper than you can get in the west. Can you confirm/deny, or give any generic info for those of us without PMs?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I dunno about clinics, I just go down to the local hospital and ask for shots. It's all so cheap anyway that to me it already seems cheap. I think I paid THB 1,500 for a couple of shots last time and like half of that was the doctor's consultation. And that was at a relatively pricey international hospital. I'm sure you could get it done cheaper.

EDIT: Here you go:

http://www.thaitravelclinic.com/cost.html

How to get there:

http://www.thaitravelclinic.com/location-of-our-clinic.html

:lol: the Thai Red Cross site uses the St. George's Cross for the "English" language button. Classic Thai web design. Couldn't find a vaccinations page, but they're at Chula, which is next to Lumpini Park at either Silom MRT or Sala Daeng BTS station.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 13, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

Why Sheep-Goats is probably already married to someone from Yetsatorn or something and is currently eating ant egg salad on the ceremonial stage while karaokeing to some look toong. It is the 11th after all!

It took me a while and then a gob of Thai friends wanted to go party on my first day in so I did. I got back from MBK with my shitphone and a sad look on my face because apparently ADDA sandals don't exist any more.

The Thai folks wanted to go to Khao San and I was really surprised by how much it hasn't changed in my five year absence. When I first came to Thailand a pad thai there was 10B and the street was just a normal street instead of the faux-flagstone thing it is now. By the time I left two years later pad thai was 20B and they had the flagstone street and things are still pretty much like that now.

I'm headed up to Khorat and environs for a week, just had to wait for the red shirt cavalcade to clear out in front of the place I'm staying here before we could get on the road.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

China while your guard is down!

My Air China flight was delayed into JFK by two hours which means I missed my connection in Beijing. Cue the expected Chinese waiting in lines to wait in lines tradition -- it only took them four and a half hours after landing in Beijing to put us on a shuttle bus to a hotel sticking up out of a dirtfield in some unspecified zone near the airport. Free tomato egg dinner though.

China :argh: !

raton fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 13, 2011

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Awk bai Abhisit! Go join in the revelry, it's red in the land! Make sure to carry your copy of Truth Today around.

My impression of Khao San was frozen in time around 2003 and the thing I think that's the most surprising just to stare at is how much it's spread. If you follow that road next to the temple, across from Khao San, the Khao San-ish vibe runs all the way to the river on Phra Athit now. Blows my mind. Pretty soon all of Banglamphu will be overrun with flagstones, lovely t-shirts, incense, crappy restaurants and dirty hippies, heh. And of course Rambuttri is completely Khao San-ish now, with the added twist that it's completely Thai on one end. That's the best part of Kha San now, heh.

Sheep-Goats posted:

China :argh: !
Haha, yes.

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'll keep it in mind, I'd love to go back to the PRC but the lovely pay is kind of a non-starter for me now :-\ (Looking at Taiwan or maybe a private company in Japan if JET doesn't work out.) Do you know if the program minds if you moonlight somewhere else or pick up private students on the side? I would be interested to hear how selective it is, at any rate. Shenzhen would be pretty cool to live in - an Air Asia flight away from lots of neat stuff in SEA, plus the chance to buy a 200cc Lifan enduro and tool around the countryside on weekends. (Is Shenzhen one of those dick Chinese cities when it comes to motocycles?)

Oh, the flipper-baby thing was a kind of obscure colloquialism, was asking if Shenzhen Mandarin was really weird. Hopefully there aren't any actual flipper-babies in Shenzhen from the factories and whatnot :ohdear:

I make 15k a month in Shenzhen, and I think I'm one of the poorest of my expat friends. Its an expensive city because of its proximity to hong kong. 7000 a month is lovely pay.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I'm on a trip in thailand/ Laos at the moment. 
So far it's been great. 
I rented a motorcycle and went from Vientiane to luang prabang. 
After seeing the countryside, luang is a bit of a shock. 
I didn't expect to find an Asian version of Brugge I guess. 
And the extremely rich/old/fat tourists here aren't always my thing:) they arrive in town in ac vans to "feed the monks" instead of doing the 5 minute walk from their hotel. How did they all get here? 

Anyway, if you guys know something to do near luang, please tell me. I wanted to go to phongsavang, but theres no time anymore. I have to vet the bike back to Vientiane. So if there's an alternative to stopping over in "bucket o booze-town" vang viene, that would be nice too. ( although I have to say I had fun there, it gets old fast if you're not a 20 year old alcoholic). 
Sorry for typos, mobilephone posting...

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Do you need a license to rent a motorcycle there? Would it be adviceble to drive one without a license? I've only ever driven 50cc scooter type of bikes.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If you're just renting a scooter on the islands or something I don't think anyone cares. Beyond that, I don't know. Someone else would no doubt have a more informed opinion.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

B-Rad posted:

I make 15k a month in Shenzhen, and I think I'm one of the poorest of my expat friends. Its an expensive city because of its proximity to hong kong. 7000 a month is lovely pay.

7000/month is like Hong Kong's Macdonald's Pay. But given the short working hours, ease of finding a tutoring gig, housing, cheap cost of living, it's not too bad. I do know someone who left the program for better pastures in GuangZhou. She's getting paid 12K but for twice the work.

Expats are paid very well because most of them have housing included and a relocating bonus. That's how they can afford being a sex tourist right :downsrim:

Out of curiosity, how did you get your job and how many hours/week are you pulling?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

mrfart posted:

So far it's been great. 
And the extremely rich/old/fat tourists here aren't always my thing:) they arrive in town in ac vans to "feed the monks" instead of doing the 5 minute walk from their hotel. How did they all get here? 

Anyway, if you guys know something to do near luang, please tell me. I wanted to go to phongsavang, but theres no time anymore. I have to vet the bike back to Vientiane. So if there's an alternative to stopping over in "bucket o booze-town" vang viene, that would be nice too. ( although I have to say I had fun there, it gets old fast if you're not a 20 year old alcoholic). 

Check out the waterfall and Pak Ou caves. If you only have time for one, make it the waterfall. You can swim there and there are a bunch of places selling food.

Rojkir posted:

Do you need a license to rent a motorcycle there? Would it be adviceble to drive one without a license? I've only ever driven 50cc scooter type of bikes.

Have literally never been asked for a license renting; it's more "have you ridden one of these before?" (and if the answer is "no" they'll show you the basics). If a cop stops you it may mean a fine, but if that happens you are probably getting a fine whether you have a license or not.

With that said I still recommend a license or some kind of experience riding, always wear a helmet, etc.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

mrfart posted:

So far it's been great. 

Did you do that ride by yourself? How was it?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Check out the waterfall and Pak Ou caves. If you only have time for one, make it the waterfall. You can swim there and there are a bunch of places selling food.

Thanks.
I went to the falls yesterday.
Today my brother, who's driving with me, was super sick.
Instead of going to the caves I just took the ferry for the locals across the mekong.
It was amazing. From super buzzy touristy you go to a place where you are the only farang.
Just dirt roads and rice fields and the likes.
There should be some nice temples there too but to be honest I didn't find them:)
But I didn't care, had a nice time. Tomorrow we'll start driving back to the south.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Did you do that ride by yourself? How was it?

No, my brother got wind of my plans and wanted to come with.
It's been great, the only problem is lack of time. But you know... Work.

mrfart fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 14, 2011

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

My impression of Khao San was frozen in time around 2003 and the thing I think that's the most surprising just to stare at is how much it's spread. If you follow that road next to the temple, across from Khao San, the Khao San-ish vibe runs all the way to the river on Phra Athit now. Blows my mind. Pretty soon all of Banglamphu will be overrun with flagstones, lovely t-shirts, incense, crappy restaurants and dirty hippies, heh. And of course Rambuttri is completely Khao San-ish now, with the added twist that it's completely Thai on one end. That's the best part of Kha San now, heh.

Ain't this the truth. A lot of Thanon Chakrapong before Rambuttri and down past Khao San is filled with that poo poo now.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Have literally never been asked for a license renting; it's more "have you ridden one of these before?" (and if the answer is "no" they'll show you the basics). If a cop stops you it may mean a fine, but if that happens you are probably getting a fine whether you have a license or not.

With that said I still recommend a license or some kind of experience riding, always wear a helmet, etc.
Thanks. This helped out. I'm not versed in motorcycles, but scooters are not a problem at all. Hope to get one to ride around Phuket one afternoon.

BigSuave
Nov 15, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

I dunno about clinics, I just go down to the local hospital and ask for shots. It's all so cheap anyway that to me it already seems cheap. I think I paid THB 1,500 for a couple of shots last time and like half of that was the doctor's consultation. And that was at a relatively pricey international hospital. I'm sure you could get it done cheaper.

EDIT: Here you go:

http://www.thaitravelclinic.com/cost.html

How to get there:

http://www.thaitravelclinic.com/location-of-our-clinic.html

Went to this place yesterday. For anyone else who is wondering, it's a pretty good operation. I didn't need an appointment and I got Hep A, Tetanus, and Japanese Encephalitis for like 1700 baht. Expect a fair bit of engrish from the nurses but the doc was crystal clear. JE was probably optional but the doctor seemed to think it was a good idea with where I was going to be traveling and for like $15 better safe than sorry. That one is subcutaneous (as opposed to intramuscular like most shots) and stings quite a bit.

Only warning I would issue is that the map on their website looks good but is actually way out of scale and their directions from BTS are wrong. I mean, you'll eventually find it but it'll take you an hour of wandering in the heat. If anyone is planning on going there and wants clearer directions just shoot me a PM (or post here if you're too cheap for plat) and I'll explain. Too hungover to bother thinking about it now.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

I'm to cheap for platinum and don't think I can find time to visit my local travel clinic before I go. So please :)

BigSuave
Nov 15, 2004

Yeah if I were you I'd just wait till you get here. It's way cheaper than a doctor's visit in the US and it's the same stuff.

Okay, here goes. Honestly you might be better off just printing out their address and map in Thai and taking a cab but if you want to do the BTS thing this is how:

As they say, take the BTS train to Victory Monument and leave via exit 3. To get oriented (see what I did there?) you want to face the monument, which should be fairly visible if you look around. This should put the street and BTS station to your right and some big buildings to your left. Walk up the sidewalk and stay on this side of the street. Pretty quick you will have to turn left with the road as it curves around the monument area. Again, just keep walking until you either have to cross the street or turn left. Turn left, still keeping the buildings to your left and the street to your right. If you're doing it right you should never have to cross the street. From there it's basically a straight shot but it's a fair bit farther away than their map seems to suggest. I'd say it's about a kilometer or so.

You should be passing a series of medical buildings on your left and keep your eyes peeled for a green sign overhanging the street that has a green cross and says 'Hospital for Tropical Diseases'. You'll turn left there down a little driveway and are going to walk straight about 50 yards. The building is the gray one in front of you and I believe the name is printed on it in English but in kind of small letters if I recall.

The entrance you walk in will probably put you at the pharmacy and cashier's area. You will want to turn left to get to the clinic but the doctor's area is actually up those stairs to your right. That said, you will need to fill out some info at the medical records office downstairs so you may as well just head for the clinic and look confused until someone helps you. I just went up to the counter and mimed giving myself a shot until they got the picture. I'm sure you can figure it out from there. There are a ton of nurses just milling about and at least the one I talked to was happy enough to basically take me through the whole process, which is good because it's a bit of a to-do.

After filling out the registration form you go up to the doctor's area where you will fill out another form asking what shots you want and your vaccination history. After talking to the doctor and figuring out what you really do and don't need he will write you a prescription which you take back downstairs and pull a number ticket to queue up for the pharmacy. You'll give them the script and they'll punch it into their computer and then give you some paperwork to take to the cashier, which is just to their left. After you pay the cashier will give you another piece of paper which you take back to the pharmacy where they will give you a bag with little vials of vaccines. You take these back to the clinic down the hall to the left where the nurse will sit you down and administer them. Oh, and they make you sit and hang out for half an hour to make sure you aren't having a reaction to the shots so bring a book or ipod.

It's a bit complicated but they were actually pretty efficient about it. It could definitely get confusing if you don't have a helpful nurse though.

Sorry if this seems complicated and convoluted but it's the easiest way I could explain and it might not make sense now but it will once you're walking down the street. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll probably not be in BKK when you arrive (when is that, by the way?) but if I am I'd be happy to show you myself. If nothing else you can give me a call once you get here and need clarification. My Thai number is 083-821-3178.

Okay, that's it for now. Apparently I'm either a slow learner or a glutton for punishment because I'm getting ready to go out to some blues bar on Khao San even though I've woken up hungover the last two days. :cheers:

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
arrived in Bangkok Sunday night. Loving it so far. Staying at the Biayoke Suites with a friend. Food is great, weather is great, shopping is great.

My travel partner is leaving tomorrow for Phuket and tonight and tomorrow we've been checking out Salsa dancing gatherings. Tonight we'll be at the Dream Hotel near Nana on Soi 15, good clean fun.

Anyone interested in meeting up and going south? Fauxtest the yellowshirts? :)

Stupid question; how do I not get ripped off buying a train ticket. I'd like to go south, not sure where yet, but south.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just buy the train ticket at the train station. And do avoid the Bangkok tourist information booth in front of the station. It's a scam and they scare you into taking their bus lines.

Trains are nice and cheap but sloooooooow.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Thanks Bigsuave, that's very helpfull. I'll be arriving at BKK on the 28th of februari. I don't plan to stay in Bangkok for long, but who knows. First day activity, get a hostel, get some shots and then get some more shots :)

I've planned to leave to chiang mai after a couple of days. Do at least two days of cycling in the area (Samoeng loop or something) and rent a bike to goto Pai, Mae hong song and back to chiang mai. If I have 2 days left I'll do a jungle trek, waht do you guys think are those worth your time?

Then of to Koh Tao to do some diving and chilling for at least a week. After that to Singapore to visit a good friend (main goal of the trip). After that long weekend fly to either Siem Reap or Viengtiene and visit 4000 islands, Angkor Wat, Kratie and rush back to bangkok to make my flight home. I feel like I'm cramming to much into my 34 days, but I'm flexible so I can always skip a few days here and there.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BigSuave posted:

Okay, that's it for now. Apparently I'm either a slow learner or a glutton for punishment because I'm getting ready to go out to some blues bar on Khao San even though I've woken up hungover the last two days. :cheers:

If that's the one that's just north of Klong Banglampoo it used to be one of the best places to go in Bangkok for music, quite honestly, if you got there on a night when all the members of the band showed up. Tiny place with some bizzare name that I can't remember right now? Also if that Japanese bar next door is still open it's worth checking out -- for whatever reason the people running the place (who were all Japanese kids in their 20s) befriended me sometime during my second visit there and I've never felt more welcome in any other bar I've been in so far in my life. Thais like going to Khao San (though they usually go to a different set of bars than the farang) and I'd often end up at either of those two places after putting in my face time at whatever two story halfassed club they'd picked out for the night.

Also a boon fae deng is a boon fae deng but I like the one they make across the street from those two bars.

I'm going to Lop Buri to tease the monkeys tomorrow. If I can locate it on my asinine Thai highway map.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 15, 2011

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Sheep-Goats posted:

If that's the one that's just north of Klong Banglampoo it used to be one of the best places to go in Bangkok for music, quite honestly, if you got there on a night when all the members of the band showed up. Tiny place with some bizzare name that I can't remember right now? Also if that Japanese bar next door is still open it's worth checking out -- for whatever reason the people running the place (who were all Japanese kids in their 20s) befriended me sometime during my second visit there and I've never felt more welcome in any other bar I've been in so far in my life. Thais like going to Khao San (though they usually go to a different set of bars than the farang) and I'd often end up at either of those two places after putting in my face time at whatever two story halfassed club they'd picked out for the night.

Also a boon fae deng is a boon fae deng but I like the one they make across the street from those two bars.

I'm going to Lop Buri to tease the monkeys tomorrow. If I can locate it on my asinine Thai highway map.

Wow thats great, I hung out a couple of days there last year before going home.
The blues bar and the Japanese one.
my girlfriend was with me and made some impresion on them because she speaks Japanese.
The vibe is soo different there.
Anyway, got to go, driving to Vientiane and on to Thailand again.

BigSuave
Nov 15, 2004

politicorific posted:

arrived in Bangkok Sunday night. Loving it so far.

Anyone interested in meeting up and going south? Fauxtest the yellowshirts? :)

I'm planning on heading south to the eastern islands probably tomorrow, if I get off my rear end and buy a ticket tonight before getting too drunk and saying 'gently caress it', as I have the last couple nights.

I don't know if that's too soon but I'd be totally down to travel together a bit. If nothing else, I'll probably be there for several days so we could always meet up on Ko Samui/Tao/Pha Ngan.

If you have a Thai number give me a ring at 083-821-3178. Alternatively you could PM or just post here but obviously phone offers instant gratification.

Fauxtesting the yellow shirts sounds like a great way to get your rear end kicked, as hilarious as it may be.

Also, I met a few cool guys last night at some bar with live music and we're planning on going out again tonight around 9ish. You would definitely be welcome to come out with us if you get this in time. Again, call/SMS me or something and I can give you directions.

Are you traveling alone?

Rojkir posted:

Thanks Bigsuave, that's very helpfull. I'll be arriving at BKK on the 28th of februari.

I don't know where I'll be come the 28th (hell, I don't know where I'll be tomorrow) but definitely drop me a line via the aforementioned cell number when you get here. That's about 10 days after I'm planning on heading to the islands so I may very well be ready to head up to Chaing Mai with you about then. Or I may be renting a bungalow on one of the islands and wasting away for a month, who knows?

Sheep-Goats posted:

If that's the one that's just north of Klong Banglampoo it used to be one of the best places to go in Bangkok for music, quite honestly, if you got there on a night when all the members of the band showed up. Tiny place with some bizzare name that I can't remember right now? Also if that Japanese bar next door is still open it's worth checking out -- for whatever reason the people running the place (who were all Japanese kids in their 20s) befriended me sometime during my second visit there and I've never felt more welcome in any other bar I've been in so far in my life.

Yeah, exactly. It's called Adhere the 13th, which is confusing as gently caress, especially to people who don't speak English so great. I have to admit I ended up getting distracted with my new friends and we didn't get there until right at midnight, which is when the live music stops (lame) so we didn't really hang out there. There's always tonight though. I'll be sure to check out the Japanese place as well, thanks for the rec.

For anyone who is interested, walk down Khao San until you're at the temple and turn right at the main road there. You'll walk a couple hundred yards and cross a street before getting to the bridge over the canal. The bar is on your left pretty much immediately after crossing the bridge. Can't miss it.

BigSuave
Nov 15, 2004

Okay, my turn to ask a question. I've heard both good and bad things about taking the bus or trains down to Surat Thani on my way to the islands. Of course, the alternative is just to fly but that costs about $100 each way, which I'd be happy to spend if it will save me 12 hours of agony, but if the overnight trip isn't too bad then the bus (or train?) sounds like the way to go since not only is it cheaper but it also means I don't have to book a room for that night.

Anyone with experience here want to chime in? I saw caberham's post about the trains being slow but slow isn't necessarily bad if it's comfortable and has decent scenery, no?

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
I took the bus down as part of a bus/catamaran package to the islands around a year ago. It was with Lomprayah, recommended by Steve I think. The bus was comfortable enough, and the catamaran was great. Either way it's gonna be a long journey, but as long as you have air conditioning (yes, I've heard horror stories of people without it too) it's fine. Lomprayah are a safe bet.

Just don't travel back up to Bangkok during redshirt riots and arrive later than the curfew meaning your stuck on the bus all night after traveling all day. That wasn't painless.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

BigSuave posted:

If you have a Thai number give me a ring at 083-821-3178.
Currently passing this out in Nana with the instructions, "Lich man farang, jai dii - chawp khon isaan. Jing jing! Take care ebbysing - no buttunfy!" 10 points to the first person not named Ringo R, Pompous Rhombus or Sheep-Goats to translate that bargirl mishmash.

EDIT: Take the bus, it's a longer trip, but you might meet some interesting people (I did), but it'll give you a chance to read and sleep on the way there.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

I can't get further than "rich foreigner, shitload of money" after the dash "likes it hot Really!" or something?

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD
"Takes care of everything, doesn't butterfly", no idea about the Isaan part.

Speaking of bars, I'm going back to SE Asia with some friends in April and we'll be landing in Bangkok for a couple of days without much to do (I'm not going to bother again with all the Buddhas and temples). Any recommendations on where to go at night in Bangkok? I'm not looking for anything special, just some place with regular bars, good music and decent booze.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

"Rich foreigner, kind - likes people from Isaan. Truly! Will take care of everything - doesn't butterfly (sleep around)!" Now, do I get my points even though I'm a luk kreung?

BigSuave posted:

Anyone with experience here want to chime in? I saw caberham's post about the trains being slow but slow isn't necessarily bad if it's comfortable and has decent scenery, no?

The overnight sleeper trains are pretty alright. Not as comfortable as a real bed, for sure, but good in terms of time saving - you'll get to Surat Thani bright and early and can be on Koh Tao by mid-morning. They also have a drinking carriage with music which is pretty awesome as long as you have friends with you to drink with.

brendanwor fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 16, 2011

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

tzz posted:

Any recommendations on where to go at night in Bangkok? I'm not looking for anything special, just some place with regular bars, good music and decent booze.

RCA.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

brendanwor posted:

"Rich foreigner, kind - likes people from Isaan. Truly! Will take care of everything - doesn't butterfly (sleep around)!" Now, do I get my points even though I'm a luk kreung?
Dammit, forgot about you!

brendanwor posted:

The overnight sleeper trains are pretty alright. Not as comfortable as a real bed, for sure, but good in terms of time saving - you'll get to Surat Thani bright and early and can be on Koh Tao by mid-morning. They also have a drinking carriage with music which is pretty awesome as long as you have friends with you to drink with.
Or, as my friend refers to it, "The Disco Car." Which it apparently was on one magical night in the 1990s, but never has been since.

BigSuave
Nov 15, 2004

Thanks for the info. I ended up getting a plane ticket only because my new friend who I'm going down with booked one for me and I didn't want to stiff him. I'm probably going to take the train from the south up to Chiang Mai though since I definitely have more time than money.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
be down in in Hai Yat tomorrow about 6am. No phone, probably will read on the beach for a couple days. Copied down your number Big Sauve. Wasn't serious about fauxtesting the yellows.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

brendanwor posted:

BTW if anyone's looking for a Thai wife I'm pretty sure I've already got three or four Bangkok based business ladies lined up ready to get their visas -- they may or may not formely be from Issan though, so hey hey hey.

I went to the monkey temple (and surroundings) in Lop Buri yesterday. They were also having a parade that included Thai people dressed as farang embasasaries from the olden days (I forget the name of the era in Thai, they were wearing like 1600s getups and the French one had a long curly hair wig on). The people in Lop Buri have also apparently decided to wear the old panung (?) pants and Thai shirts this month and were having a festival at the king's palace there.

I sent ReindeerF a text about "What is going on in BKK this weekend duder" but he don't know so if anyone knows let me know. I'll be back for three days to finish up with my shirts before heading to Phi Phi for SCUBA classes. Right now all I've got is the opening for Norwegian Wood at House RCA and some weird puppet show in that big park up by On Nut station put on by the French embassy for Frenchy French Fronch Days.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Got any pics of the "Bangkok based business ladies"?

Try Overstay! Went there once with Khun Reindeer and nothing was happening that night but after reading a bit more about it online they seem to get up to some crazy things going on sometimes.

http://www.kohspot.com/bangkok/happenings/the-overstay-a-bangkok-creative-space/
(the owner is defending it in the comments section)

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

BTW if anyone's looking for a Thai wife I'm pretty sure I've already got three or four Bangkok based business ladies lined up ready to get their visas -- they may or may not formely be from Issan though, so hey hey hey.

When I was in Singapore over NYE a katoey from Chiang Mai tried to pick me and my friend up, before helpfully letting us know that he/she hadn't had the snip and still had a cock 'as long as your arm'. So hey, an Isaan girl's gotta be better than that, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Dammit, forgot about you!

Awk bai, mudblood! ;)