Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

That would explain it. Ignore me, not-Chrome users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

$700 is clearly insane, but I spent £140 on an anglepoise and it was worth every penny.

Also, I have those speaker, what are you using as an amp?

Ah yes, I am using a NAD C325 BEE, meaty speakers they are.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Centipeed posted:

Did you at least like the desk? :ohdear:

Dissident
Jun 1, 2000
Before the deluge..

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Dissident posted:

Before the deluge..

I had that awful walmart desk. It's so bad, the embeded nuts will spin in the cardboard-like tops if you look at it wrong. Also good luck making a lot of wire look neat on that thing. Sorry for your purchase!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Dissident posted:

Before the deluge..

You bought the right monitor, the right mouse, probably a decent rig... Now throw that kidneybeanplasticshit away and buy a real desk. You won't regret it.

Dissident
Jun 1, 2000
Haha you are so right. I got that desk after moving into my old place as a throw-away purchase but just can't get rid of it. My plan was to toss it when I moved again but have liked my building and am actually staying for a while. It's pretty absurd to house $3K of gear (i7 system) in a POS desk. Could someone recommend a similarly shaped computer desk?

optik
Jul 6, 2005
linux is a pathway to many abilities..... some consider to be un-natural

Dissident posted:

Haha you are so right. I got that desk after moving into my old place as a throw-away purchase but just can't get rid of it. My plan was to toss it when I moved again but have liked my building and am actually staying for a while. It's pretty absurd to house $3K of gear (i7 system) in a POS desk. Could someone recommend a similarly shaped computer desk?

It looks like you have a decent sized area there, I would recommend taking a look at the 1,000,000+ different possibilities from IKEA (specifically the Galant) as you can configure it SO many ways (plus it seems to be one of the more popular desks in this thread so that can't be a bad thing!)

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

optik posted:

(specifically the Galant)

Seconding this. I don't know if anyone is going to recommend you get another kidney shaped desk unless someone's found one that's absolutely amazing. It just seems like they're such a waste of space in a room. You can't push them flush against a wall or a corner. :(

What I love about the Galant is that you can just keep adding on to that sucker as time goes by, creating the ultimate monster mega-desk that fits exactly what you need.

optik
Jul 6, 2005
linux is a pathway to many abilities..... some consider to be un-natural

CubanRefugee posted:

words
Precisely, there are so many leg/top/colour/add-on combinations for the Galant it is untrue!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Due to some unfortunate events, I find myself temporarily reverted to "Basement Dweller". Oh well, at least I had a chance to clean up and organize my set-up.

The sodas in the back are not (all) mine. :ohdear:

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

Centipeed posted:

By the way, the SALastRead extension for Chrome has a timg fix built in. You just have to enable it in the options.

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Due to some unfortunate events, I find myself temporarily reverted to "Basement Dweller". Oh well, at least I had a chance to clean up and organize my set-up.

The sodas in the back are not (all) mine. :ohdear:

Really? Sims 3 for Xbox 360? Really?

Special A
Nov 6, 2004

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!
I bought two U2311s and couldn't stop myself from buying a third... I think I'm going to need a bigger room and desk.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

optik posted:

Galant is great.

Dissident, get a Galant. I had one. I bought another. Now I have a megadesk and it's great.

Dissident
Jun 1, 2000
drat you people getting me to go back to IKEA. I swore I would never go there again. But 6+ months of furniture shopping in brooklyn has been fruitless.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

mrk posted:

The Mat is a BoogieBug XL Gaming surface - An oversized mousemat if you will, with a smooth surface. My monitor is a 24" but weighs about 11KG so the tensioner had to be tightened quite a bit!

This thing looks awesome. Is there a reliable place to actually buy one of these? Google is only giving me forum post reviews and one or two really shady looking online stores.

I can't even find the manufacturer website.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just had a brain snap and decided that in addition to a nerdy ultra-cramped-and cluttered super-organised desk area, I'm going to put crap all over my wall.

What sort of crap? Crappy nerdy rustic crap.
http://www.uncrate.com/men/home/art-decor/types-of-beer-sign/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jon-Pertwee-Doctor-Who-30x45cm/dp/B001V6B0PQ
http://www.jaaahws.com/gallery/
http://www.perpetualkid.com/animal-friendly-cardboard-rhino-bust.aspx
http://www.etsy.com/listing/67910737/friendly-little-at-symbol-typography
http://store.penny-arcade.com/products/jim-darkmagic-portrait

Going to have to be meticulous about it though so it's organised chaos rather than just a bunch of poo poo thrown up on the wall.
I need to find a zany clock..

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Really

Apps
Oct 3, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Just had a brain snap and decided that in addition to a nerdy ultra-cramped-and cluttered super-organised desk area, I'm going to put crap all over my wall.

What sort of crap? Crappy nerdy rustic crap.
http://www.uncrate.com/men/home/art-decor/types-of-beer-sign/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jon-Pertwee-Doctor-Who-30x45cm/dp/B001V6B0PQ
http://www.jaaahws.com/gallery/
http://www.perpetualkid.com/animal-friendly-cardboard-rhino-bust.aspx
http://www.etsy.com/listing/67910737/friendly-little-at-symbol-typography
http://store.penny-arcade.com/products/jim-darkmagic-portrait

Going to have to be meticulous about it though so it's organised chaos rather than just a bunch of poo poo thrown up on the wall.
I need to find a zany clock..
Hello goon.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Robolizard! posted:

Really

The best part is they are each hand painted by sweatshop labor in China.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Juriko posted:

The best part is they are each hand painted by sweatshop labor in China.

That seems pretty antithetical to everything the PA guys are about.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

That seems pretty antithetical to everything the PA guys are about.

Which is why I find it funny. It isn't just them though. Pretty much any "hand painted" print you find is most likely coming out of Shenzen or similar. They have a small army of university trained painters dying for work.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe

Wow, yeah, those are pretty bad... At least the PA painting and the fangs. I would absolutely hang up a Pertwee Dr. Who though.

Incompl
Mar 23, 2008

Because of this thread I bought myself a Galant desk from Ikea and the solar powered keyboard somebody posted a few pages back. drat you guys!

...I will post pics once I clean up and get everything moved in.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
I picked up a few new peripherals now that I am unable to cycle till the end of spring and I have time to play games again.

edit: Got new stuff.

Now I need to look through the thread for a good headphone stand.

tehk fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 21, 2011

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

tehk posted:

Now I need to look through the thread for a good headphone stand.

Most people on here just get on amazon and pick out a banana holder they like.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Really there are only two interesting things going on here:
1) My Macbook Pro is sitting on top of a plastic in/out tray, because it kept overheating like crazy when I laid it flat (plus this puts it perfectly even with my monitor). This seems to help a lot. Why does it overheat when I lay it flat? I do not know, but it got hot enough to smell funny.

2) My Ripper XL huge-rear end mousepad, 14x18. On dual screens in Photoshop it's easy to run out of mousepad, so I went for the biggest one I could find. I know there's a Dilbert cartoon in there somewhere (found it), I don't care. This thing's badass.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

jackpot posted:

2) My Ripper XL huge-rear end mousepad, 14x18. On dual screens in Photoshop it's easy to run out of mousepad, so I went for the biggest one I could find. I know there's a Dilbert cartoon in there somewhere (found it), I don't care. This thing's badass.

Wow awesome, how long have you had this and does it hold up well? Have a link anywhere to get it for more like $10? I have had an oversized white cloth mousepad forever and the thing is loving disgustingly dirty.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Had it about six months, the only (very slight) wear on it is where the heel of my hand rests. I couldn't find any cheaper than around $17.

What would be nice is if you could find mousepad in bulk rolls, like they come out of the factory. Per square foot they'd be cheaper, and you could cut it into any shape you want. But I never found anything like that, and I guess if you could find it you'd have to buy 100 feet at a time or something impractical like that.

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004
Ask me about my 'LiveJournal' :rollseyes:

jackpot posted:

Had it about six months, the only (very slight) wear on it is where the heel of my hand rests. I couldn't find any cheaper than around $17.

What would be nice is if you could find mousepad in bulk rolls, like they come out of the factory. Per square foot they'd be cheaper, and you could cut it into any shape you want. But I never found anything like that, and I guess if you could find it you'd have to buy 100 feet at a time or something impractical like that.

Try a small company that makes surfing wetsuits. Guarantee they'll sell you a roll.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

I will definitely be getting rid of the light in the back... drat hard on the eyes.

Buggerlugs
Aug 27, 2003

"All right, Bellamy came on at Liverpool and did well, but everybody
thinks that he's the saviour, he's Jesus Christ. He's not Jesus Christ"

Infinitum posted:

Lets play spot all the nerdy crap I have on my desk.

My wife pointed out that the only thing that ISN'T nerdy crap is probably the chair.

vkxmai
Feb 4, 2004

Es ist Zeit, dass es Zeit wird.

Ikea Vika Amon desk, Ikea Tobias chair, Ikea Grönö lamps, Tivoli Model two with separate sub, etc. Taken with an informationPhone 4 and slightly edited using Mill Colour.

vkxmai fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 20, 2011

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

vkxmai posted:

Ikea Vika Amon desk, Ikea Tobias chair, Ikea Grönö lamps, Tivoli Model two with separate sub, etc. Taken with an informationPhone 4 and slightly edited using Mill Colour.
Looks like you need another Magic Mouse.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

tk posted:

Looks like you need another Magic Mouse.

But he'd have to mirror their movements, and at exactly the same time :ohdear:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Click here to view the full image

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

vkxmai posted:

What's the deal with Tivoli? I also bought the Model Two a few years ago when it retailed for $160. The subwoofer was $80. Now the prices have more than doubled. AFAIK nothing has changed except the price. I didn't know companies could just change the MSRP like that and survive.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

vkxmai posted:

The i stands for internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

vkxmai posted:

Does Ikea blow you daily or weekly?

:ninja: edit to not look like a sack of poo poo, your setup looks good.