Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I spent most of the weekend building the entire Pharoah's Quest line with my 5 year old son (he bought the smaller sets with leftover gift certificates and I naturally had to buy the Pyramid) and I've got to say it was the most fun I've had building Lego's in years. He's got a bunch of the Star Wars line, but for some reason this Pharoah line is just really, really well made and designed and very unique. (Plus it has the whole Uncharted/Indiana Jones vibe going to it which always helps)

I'll post up some pics later of the completed sets that now occupy our coffee table. We're thinking about getting some sand and making an entire Egyptian desert play set to complete the theme.

*E* Oh - and it has some very unique pieces to it. The whole time I'm building with him I'm thinking "I need to get another one of these just to have the pieces to build other stuff!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh for gently caress's sake...

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > I am a 8th level Ninjago Ice Warrior. Ask me about Spinjitzu.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

The_Doctor posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > I am a 8th level Ninjago Ice Warrior. Ask me about Spinjitzu.

I see nothing wrong with this.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The sad thing is, now that I've gotten a closer look at the Falcon and Queene Anne's Revenge, I don't think I'll bother with either of them.

I'll probably just get a Black Seas Barracuda on Bricklink to go along with my Imperial Flagship and if I ever have the cash to burn I'll shell out for an UCS Falcon.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The more I see of Alien Conquest, the more I feel like I need to buy every set. This is not good. :ohdear:

Some guy's got some great pics of the 2011 sets from NYTF.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/sets/ (Alien Conquest on page 2)

Thanks for the link. I haven't seen so many good pictures of these yet. I couldn't help but noticew the aliens have collectible minifigure ray guns. I'm pretty excited to get more of those.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

The_Doctor posted:

I really want some shuriken pieces, but my choices are to boost the sales numbers of their stupid collectable top game or drop twenty dollars on a Bionicle with the serial numbers filed off.

I think I'm just going to be trying to pick them off Bricklink eventually, along with some beakers from the mad scientist series 4 figs. I understand why they're phasing out identifying marks on the fig packaging, sort of, but I've also always been baffled by the business strategy of making your customers buy things they didn't want. LEGO seems like one of those things where having a complete set is not as strong a motivator.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...

BrainWeasel posted:

I've also always been baffled by the business strategy of making your customers buy things they didn't want.

I'm with you man, I think it's a bullshit practice. But kids, and some adults eat that poo poo up. Especially if you make them think that the rare items are really valuable, like magic cards, baseball cards ect. But hey, that's what bricklink is for.

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
12 unread posts in a sports thread? I don't read ninja sports threa... Ohhh! You got me, Lego thread.

My girlfriend gave me this when I woke up this morning :3: :

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

hxcorpse posted:

12 unread posts in a sports thread? I don't read ninja sports threa... Ohhh! You got me, Lego thread.

I have that one, it's watching from behind my monitor :3:

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009

hxcorpse posted:

The best new thing coming out of the new Lego sets is that they're building monsters and animals again. 5 years ago they'd have made a giant beetle mini figure (of 2 pieces probably) and called it a set.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
This thread's title has changed, what, four times since I last posted in here? Five? What's going on here?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Final Gloom posted:

The best new thing coming out of the new Lego sets is that they're building monsters and animals again.
Well don't speak too soon, the summer sets are introducing new alien and animal minifigs.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I think he's making reference to the large animals like the dinosaurs in the Dino Attack series. A cow or a chicken is one thing, a 10" tall Lego tyrannosaurus made out of 3 pieces that you couldn't even tell was a building toy if not for the Logo is another.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hxcorpse posted:

I'm not a Lego fan particularly, but I have a friend who is and I bought him a Lego giftcard for his birthday awhile ago. Since then Lego keep sending me catalogues - which I flick through without too much interest - but I saw this little set and wanted it. £4 seemed fair considering how expensive Lego tends to be, and I just couldn't say no to a cool-lookin' beetle. :3:

Beetle owns, minifig stands somewhere mostly forgotten.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Well Manicured Man posted:

This thread's title has changed, what, four times since I last posted in here? Five? What's going on here?

People (including myself) have posted about it changing, so a mod/admin with a sense of humor is still messing with it.

'Bricks are dumb, use minecraft n00bs'

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Construx Megathread: Nobody remembers Fischer Price's best stuff.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

When I was little, me and my sister made a Lego arcade. We used those little switches for joysticks, car windshield for the screen, and cut out screenshots from old issues of GamePlayer magazine so the characters could play Mortal Kombat II. We also made Super Mario figures (taking the red-overalled mechanic and and scribbling his white shirt blue), all kinds of crazy poo poo.

Thing was, anything we wanted to do that wasn't officially sanctioned with actual pieces, we had to make. If I was a kid today and wanted a figure of my favorite movie (Harry Potter, Star Wars, Prince of loving Persia), the figures are already there, officially licensed and better than a single creative child could ever hope to cobble together.

Part of me praises Lego for staying innovative and always releasing fun, enjoyable products (toys and videogames alike), but part of me wants to curse them for depriving new generations of creative and imaginative opportunities and instead handing them a preconstructed Spongebob Lego monstrosity.

edit; In Lego's defense, I am aware they release products, Mindstorms, etc, specifically geared towards encouraging creative tinkering and innovation.

Suntory BOSS fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 15, 2011

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...

kensei posted:

People (including myself) have posted about it changing, so a mod/admin with a sense of humor is still messing with it.

'Bricks are dumb, use minecraft n00bs'

"People enjoying things that I do not?! This will not stand!"

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Suntory BOSS posted:

(taking the red-overalled mechanic and and scribbling his white shirt blue)

You should be in loving prison.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Suntory BOSS posted:

When I was little, me and my sister made a Lego arcade. We used those little switches for joysticks, car windshield for the screen, and cut out screenshots from old issues of GamePlayer magazine so the characters could play Mortal Kombat II. We also made Super Mario figures (taking the red-overalled mechanic and and scribbling his white shirt blue), all kinds of crazy poo poo.

Thing was, anything we wanted to do that wasn't officially sanctioned with actual pieces, we had to make. If I was a kid today and wanted a figure of my favorite movie (Harry Potter, Star Wars, Prince of loving Persia), the figures are already there, officially licensed and better than a single creative child could ever hope to cobble together.

Part of me praises Lego for staying innovative and always releasing fun, enjoyable products (toys and videogames alike), but part of me wants to curse them for depriving new generations of creative and imaginative opportunities and instead handing them a preconstructed Spongebob Lego monstrosity.

edit; In Lego's defense, I am aware they release products, Mindstorms, etc, specifically geared towards encouraging creative tinkering and innovation.

Well, if it helps to allay your fears, the art of customizing minifigures, at least, is alive and well.

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009
The upcoming town-space sets look really cool in a classic Lego sort of way. Also, apparently the space shuttle set will come with a Space Dog. Yeah I have no idea either.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Final Gloom posted:

Also, apparently the space shuttle set will come with a Space Dog. Yeah I have no idea either.

:confused:

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

The_Doctor posted:

:confused:

They actually had a robot dog in the recent space police theme, but it dissappeared off the site long before the rest of the line, for some reason.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Forum Actuary posted:

They actually had a robot dog in the recent space police theme, but it dissappeared off the site long before the rest of the line, for some reason.

I still see those things in Five Below sometimes, so if you're looking for one, you might start there.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I'm just glad I was able to acquire the Space Pimp set. You know, for space pimpin.

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I'm just glad I was able to acquire the Space Pimp set. You know, for space pimpin.

Gonna give him a selection of interstellar space hos? I think it'd be funny to see one of those Atlantis shark men in a wig.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

hxcorpse posted:

Psh, Scarabs? In these parts we have BULLBEETLES.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The more I see of Alien Conquest, the more I feel like I need to buy every set. This is not good. :ohdear:

Some guy's got some great pics of the 2011 sets from NYTF.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/sets/ (Alien Conquest on page 2)

The Earth dragon looks awesome.

Time to create a Monster Hunter fanset!

Shrike41
Jan 7, 2011
WOW, so glad I saw this thread, it is bringing back tons of memories and giving me some great ideas. Currently have no bricks right now. But i'm going to go buy my son a small beginner set today. I'm sad I haven't thought of this before cause my son loves creative/imaginative play so I imagine LEGOs will be perfect for him, also i'll get to get my fix.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

The_Doctor posted:

And in case this isn't screwing with us enough, when I couldn't find the DUPLO thread, I looked for the ART tag, and the thread has a SPORTS tag now.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Only of interest to UK people but Tesco currently has 20% off Lego (VAT free) until the end of the month. Both online and in store apparently. I might have to get some of that Pharaoh's Quest stuff to put away for my kid in a couple of years because that's pretty bad-rear end. The only have the plane online, but I think I saw some more in store last weekend.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
The new title made me laugh.

Here's a sweet MOC I wish I had the pieces to make:

Click here for the full 1024x806 image.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=461149

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

Gravy Jones posted:

Only of interest to UK people but Tesco currently has 20% off Lego (VAT free) until the end of the month. Both online and in store apparently. I might have to get some of that Pharaoh's Quest stuff to put away for my kid in a couple of years because that's pretty bad-rear end. The only have the plane online, but I think I saw some more in store last weekend.

Ah nice one, I've been meaning to see about buying some more since I started following the thread and then found a bunch of Star Wars kits (T-16 Skyhopper and Slave 1. Both still fully built!), so I'll have to check that out.

Not sure they actually sell any at the local one though. Can't recall ever seeing any at least :iiam:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
General Bullshit > The LEGO thread for fans of LEGO: Why do you moc us?
:D

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

InfinEight posted:

The new title made me laugh.

Click here for the full 1024x806 image.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=461149

That's pretty awesome. Reminds me of this Chris Giddens classic:

http://pre.classic-space.com/?p=PCS

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

InfinEight posted:

Shuppiluliumas posted:

That's pretty awesome. Reminds me of this Chris Giddens classic:

what are those huge quarter-hemisphere pieces?

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'
Does IE not have the 'highlight read threads' feature? I can only find this thread thanks to Firefox and this spectacular feature :D

:on topic: I'm having great difficulty getting the Race Car Driver minifig :/ After going blind sifting through box loads of the things in Tesco/John Lewis I've come to the conclusion that the bump code on my identifier phone app is lying to me or they are mega rare
code:
.      .
  .  .
right or wrong?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

afflictionwisp posted:

what are those huge quarter-hemisphere pieces?

I'm bettin' this.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

SpecialF posted:

Does IE not have the 'highlight read threads' feature? I can only find this thread thanks to Firefox and this spectacular feature :D

:on topic: I'm having great difficulty getting the Race Car Driver minifig :/ After going blind sifting through box loads of the things in Tesco/John Lewis I've come to the conclusion that the bump code on my identifier phone app is lying to me or they are mega rare
code:
.      .
  .  .
right or wrong?

I might have an extra race car figure, I'll check when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Flavor Bear posted:

I'm bettin' this.

Yep. There's some interesting parts in there. Those domes near the back are Bionicle container caps.