Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

opaopa13 posted:

Just to be absolutely clear, you must level up Max. As you may know, if Max runs out of HP, it's game over. The AI knows this, and will attack Max at every opportunity. When I was a kid, I figured the best way to deal with this was to leave Max at the entrance to every map and never expose him to risk. This works until one of the very last battles in the game, which features flying spellcasters who begin in range of Max's starting position. They will swoop in and nuke him, and there's nothing you can do about it. And since there are no random battles, there's nothing you can do but start the entire game over.

Healers are hard to level. Early in the game, you should try to let a healer take the killing blow whenever an enemy just happens to end up with minimal HP. Otherwise, heal whenever you can, even if just for a single HP, rather than let a healer end a combat with unspent MP.

Yeah, Max (aka the main character -- you have a chance to name him whatever in the beginning) actually turns into a total badass if you take the time to level him up. When doing so, don't be afraid to use his Egress spell to teleport everyone out of the battle if he's about to die (and can't get away in time, or you're out of healing and he's the last one left, etc).

Speaking of Egress, if you don't mind grinding, repeating battles is good way to level up your characters that are lagging behind. Kill every monster in the battle except the last one, then Egress, and repeat. There are some battles where killing a particular monster will end the whole thing, though, so be careful of that. Usually it's a monster unique to the map, and at the very end of the map.

Agreed on the Healer info above. Later on in the game your Healers will usually hit for pathetically low damage, so burning up any of their leftover mana on heal spells (which net ~10xp per heal, and you only need 100xp to level) at the end of battles is always a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

opaopa13 posted:

Just to be absolutely clear, you must level up Max. As you may know, if Max runs out of HP, it's game over. The AI knows this, and will attack Max at every opportunity. When I was a kid, I figured the best way to deal with this was to leave Max at the entrance to every map and never expose him to risk. This works until one of the very last battles in the game, which features flying spellcasters who begin in range of Max's starting position. They will swoop in and nuke him, and there's nothing you can do about it. And since there are no random battles, there's nothing you can do but start the entire game over.

Healers are hard to level. Early in the game, you should try to let a healer take the killing blow whenever an enemy just happens to end up with minimal HP. Otherwise, heal whenever you can, even if just for a single HP, rather than let a healer end a combat with unspent MP.
That was a fun battle. Nearby flying dragons with a breath attack capable of killing most characters in one shot.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson

Quibb posted:

If you've already beaten the game several times, you may want to try some custom maps, there are plenty of them and they offer more fun scenarios to choke slam Koreans in.

I probably should have mentioned that i've never finished it, i get to that stage and then give up because its dull.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
I just got a hankering for some Tactical RPG action and started Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis.

It's been forever since i last played it. I'm trying to think of something funny to say about it, but nothing really comes to mind.

Anyway, anything I should know about this GBA Tactical RPG?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Centipeed posted:

I added the entirety of your post to the wiki, and put in some of the suggested edits.
Seriously though, any chance I could re-submit a cleaned up version for the wiki? As it stands, it both repeats information unnecessarily and is full of typos, which irks me.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Kid Moe posted:

I probably should have mentioned that i've never finished it, i get to that stage and then give up because its dull.

I find shotguns are pretty decent at taking out aliens. The shotgun is just plain good in general. The Gauss rifle is also a one hit kill on them.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Seriously though, any chance I could re-submit a cleaned up version for the wiki? As it stands, it both repeats information unnecessarily and is full of typos, which irks me.

Email me at anthonyhobday at gmail dot com , with revised text, or I can give you the password and you can edit it directly.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Centipeed posted:

Email me at anthonyhobday at gmail dot com , with revised text, or I can give you the password and you can edit it directly.
Done. Cheers.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I have a quick question about Fable 2, which I just started playing last night:

Is there any reason to hang onto lore/flavor books once I've read them or can I safely sell them? Is there any reason to buy lore/flavor books from the bookshop?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing it for a while, but wouldn't mind getting some pointers about UFO: Afterlight. I feel like I'm missing so much (I'm 5 hours into the game and just now realized how to make custom weapons, still don't know how to level up drones (the upgrade screen just says 2[0] for every item despite be having 10 of each chip)).

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
What with it being on sale on Steam today, let't try get some Batman: Arkham Asylum hints in here, shall we? (This is in addition to what's on the Wiki already.)
  • You cannot permanently miss out on any collectibles, though in some cases you might have to wait quite a while before the locale in question becomes accessible again and/or you acquire the gadget needed to get to the collectible. There are, however, two achievements you can miss; one is just before the end of the game and the other is fairly early on. If you consider Batman's general modus operandi (not let anyone die, and beat the crap out of any bad guys he encounters), it should be pretty obvious what to do.
  • Even on normal difficulty the game is somewhat on the easy side; if you want an actual challenge, play on hard.
  • The freeflow combat system is surprisingly intricate, and button mashing is something you'll want to avoid. Now, you can probably still get by doing just that in story mode for the most part, but three-starring the various freeflow challenges will require being familiar with building combos, the way variation bonuses work, and so on. Luckily there's a pretty good FAQ which deals with it in some depth, so go check it out if you want to get the most out of freeflow combat and feel as badass as possible.
  • In addition to ground/silent takedowns, there also are ceiling takedowns (when Batman is standing on a glass ceiling), corner takedowns (when Batman is in corner cover mode), and ledge takedowns (when Batman is holding onto a ledge), all of which can be triggered when a thug walks past/beneath Batman as indicated by the on-screen prompt. Some of them are exceedingly situational, but the ledge takedown especially comes in handy a few times throughout the game. Do keep in mind that only the corner takedown is silent, though.
  • Don't run around in detective mode all the time – while there's, technically speaking, almost no reason to play without it, it does tend to make you forget/overlook how good the game looks (whenever you're not talking to someone at least :shobon:).

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

What with it being on sale on Steam today, let't try get some Batman: Arkham Asylum hints in here, shall we? (This is in addition to what's on the Wiki already.)
  • You cannot permanently miss out on any collectibles, though in some cases you might have to wait quite a while before the locale in question becomes accessible again and/or you acquire the gadget needed to get to the collectible. There are, however, two achievements you can miss; one is just before the end of the game and the other is fairly early on. If you consider Batman's general modus operandi (not let anyone die, and beat the crap out of any bad guys he encounters), it should be pretty obvious what to do.
  • Even on normal difficulty the game is somewhat on the easy side; if you want an actual challenge, play on hard.
  • The freeflow combat system is surprisingly intricate, and button mashing is something you'll want to avoid. Now, you can probably still get by doing just that in story mode for the most part, but three-starring the various freeflow challenges will require being familiar with building combos, the way variation bonuses work, and so on. Luckily there's a pretty good FAQ which deals with it in some depth, so go check it out if you want to get the most out of freeflow combat and feel as badass as possible.
  • In addition to ground/silent takedowns, there also are ceiling takedowns (when Batman is standing on a glass ceiling), corner takedowns (when Batman is in corner cover mode), and ledge takedowns (when Batman is holding onto a ledge), all of which can be triggered when a thug walks past/beneath Batman as indicated by the on-screen prompt. Some of them are exceedingly situational, but the ledge takedown especially comes in handy a few times throughout the game. Do keep in mind that only the corner takedown is silent, though.
  • Don't run around in detective mode all the time – while there's, technically speaking, almost no reason to play without it, it does tend to make you forget/overlook how good the game looks (whenever you're not talking to someone at least :shobon:).

Thanks, I added this to the Wiki.

I'm playing through Arkham Asylum for the first time, and I'm a few hours in. Are there any situations where I can get enemies to respawn and farm EXP? I don't really need it, but I'd like to get some more of the upgrades before I move further.

As in, is there a door I can walk through, and then back again, to respawn enemies in that area?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Centipeed posted:

I'm playing through Arkham Asylum for the first time, and I'm a few hours in. Are there any situations where I can get enemies to respawn and farm EXP? I don't really need it, but I'd like to get some more of the upgrades before I move further.

As in, is there a door I can walk through, and then back again, to respawn enemies in that area?
There are no respawning enemies, nope. Finding Riddler trophies, solving his various puzzles and destroying Joker teeth also awards XP though (finding interview tapes might as well but I honestly don't remember), so in a pinch you could go looking for those if you haven't been overly thorough.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Centipeed posted:

Thanks, I added this to the Wiki.

I thought the game was paced really well as far as earning experience for upgrades. By the last quarter of the game you should be nearly 100% upgraded if you've been keeping up with all the Riddler challenges.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Plus Riddler challenges are really really fun. :3

I hope they come back for Arkham City.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Anyone have anything to help me out starting for Space Rangers 2: Rise of the Dominators? It's been forever since I've played it and recall the beginning to be particularly brutal.

Straight up powergaming advice is fine by me. I like taking a game like this and breaking it over my knee. This is the first game I've been able to muster real interest in while my actual computer's been in a forever limbo of reconstruction.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Bo-Pepper posted:

Anyone have anything to help me out starting for Space Rangers 2: Rise of the Dominators? It's been forever since I've played it and recall the beginning to be particularly brutal.

Straight up powergaming advice is fine by me. I like taking a game like this and breaking it over my knee. This is the first game I've been able to muster real interest in while my actual computer's been in a forever limbo of reconstruction.

Early on, put all your money into getting the best drone possible. Shields are weak until late in the game, so peleng pirate ships are excellent for having 5 weapon slots at the cost of the shield slot (faeyan ranger ships are also identical to peleng pirate ships if you equip the artifact that ditches the shield for two weapons). Also early in the game, it's highly possible to make more money in jail then you do on the outside; spend every day where the gym is open working out, every day where it's closed at the cafeteria, and every sunday extorting money and you'll easily make 500 cr a week. That strategy makes it extremely appealing and profitable to pirate freighters and then go to jail to reset relations, although eventually inflation will catch up with the money you can make in jail, which never inflates.

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 14, 2011

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Police Quest, anybody?

Also, does anyone know what the stat symbols are for equipment in Dragon Age? I'm playing it, but don't have a manual. I don't understand what the stats being upped when I change equipment are.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Capsaicin posted:

Police Quest, anybody?

Also, does anyone know what the stat symbols are for equipment in Dragon Age? I'm playing it, but don't have a manual. I don't understand what the stats being upped when I change equipment are.

You need to become very familiar with the standard operating procedures - things like do a car inspection before getting in the car, call for backup when necessary. It's not just an adventure game, it WILL punish for not following procedures.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Police Quest, anybody?

There is an LP going on right now. Outside of that the manual that comes with the game is pretty much a walk through. You must do everything, absolutely everything, to police code or the game will give you a game over.

This means checking your car everytime before you drive or the wheels get holes. This means always storing equipment, changing outfits, and filling out paperwork. Good luck.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Capsaicin posted:

Which stats do you mean exactly? If you mean base character stats:

Strength - Increases melee weapon damage, plus chance to hit, and success of intimidate conversation checks.
Dexterity - Increases ranged weapon damage, dagger damage, chance to hit and chance to dodge
Cunning - Increases armor penetration and success of various rogue skills, and persuasion conversation checks.
Willpower - Increases the size of your endurance/mana pool, plus your mental resistance (i.e. Ability to resist mind affecting spells, like paralyze)
Magic - Increases the strength of your magic spells
Constitution - Increases the size of your HP pool, plus your physical resistance (i.e. Ability to resist being knocked down, etc)

There might be a couple of other minor things (like I think Magic might increase how much health you get from heal kits), but that's the basics of it.

Also, there are some secondary stats:

Armour Rating - Is directly subtracted from any non-magic damage you take (I think). Armour penetration negates armour rating.
Attack Rating - Chance to hit with any weapon (except a mage staff, which always hits)
Defense Rating - Chance to avoid being hit by a weapon
Spellpower - Damage your spells do

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 14, 2011

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Capsaicin posted:

The manual is available for viewing/downloading on Steam, for the record, even if you don't own the game.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I think he means fatigue, armor, stuff like that. I haven't played since it came out so I can't give a thorough answer but here's what I remember:
-Defense affects your chance to avoid being hit. Higher defense is better.
-Armor reduces damage taken when hit. I don't know the multipliers but higher is better and remember that piercing weapons (daggers, arrows) are unaffected or barely affected by armor (I forget).
-Fatigue is the price you pay for wearing armor (maybe some weapons, too?). Your fatigue stat is a percentage, and any skill you use will drain more stamina/mana. Like, lets say it costs 50 stamina for Alistair to use Shield Pummel. If he's all armored up and has 20% fatigue, then we add 20% of the original stamina price to the total, making it cost 60 stamina instead.

Yeah they got it ^^^^
Also I'm pretty sure if you scroll over the stats you're curious about the tool tips in game will explain it as well

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Palleon posted:

I've been playing it for a while, but wouldn't mind getting some pointers about UFO: Afterlight. I feel like I'm missing so much (I'm 5 hours into the game and just now realized how to make custom weapons, still don't know how to level up drones (the upgrade screen just says 2[0] for every item despite be having 10 of each chip)).

Have you been taking the drones out and getting them XP? They gain levels through XP like the normal guys.

Using the drone with the heavy armor body and a single gatling gun is a great way to take out the Grey forces. Bring 6 drones and one meatbody to hang back at the UFO and you'll just completely destroy the grays, even if the drones are fresh. The lasers barely scratch them and the only risk is missiles, but if you go point-blank with the drones (and they easily can), friendly fire will take out other grays.

Other things:

The basic rifle you research and build early on will serve you well for a while.
Lasers are never a bad weapon to have. With later techs they'll be even better and you'll need them to have a good chance of taking out the later Beastman units (You'll know who when you encounter them)

Always have someone carrying the warp cannons. They each give you 6 shots and do massive damage to most enemies. They can also destroy most objects on the map, making them great for the 'Destroy Object' missions. Though some missions have more than 12 objects to destroy.

Mines are a lot more useful than you might think.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 14, 2011

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Taerkar posted:

Have you been taking the drones out and getting them XP? They gain levels through XP like the normal guys.

Using the drone with the heavy armor body and a single gatling gun is a great way to take out the Grey forces. Bring 6 drones and one meatbody to hang back at the UFO and you'll just completely destroy the grays, even if the drones are fresh. The lasers barely scratch them and the only risk is missiles, but if you go point-blank with the drones (and they easily can), friendly fire will take out other grays.

One of the drones has 7 confirmed kills and it says he has a bunch of levelups, so I'm not sure what the problem is, unless I'm missing some crucial step.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hmm... Are you sure you have the right chips? There's both basic and advanced varieties of the chips and you might have only made the advanced ones?

Also, the chips require 2 level-ups, so they can only gain one every other level.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Keeping the UFO angle: I only heard awesome things about X-Com: ufo defense. I tried playing some kind of remake a year ago, and I didn't understand a thing about it. What's the best way to get into this game? Any pointers on how to start?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Samopsa posted:

Keeping the UFO angle: I only heard awesome things about X-Com: ufo defense. I tried playing some kind of remake a year ago, and I didn't understand a thing about it. What's the best way to get into this game? Any pointers on how to start?

Capture UFOs (and the important Elerium that comes with them), build up a decent fighting force, eventually take the fight to them. Keep in mind that the aliens are doing missions and make progress of their own. If you are too passive and don't hinder them it will end up screwing you over in the long run.

The thread here in Games should be a good resource, but here are some basic things.

-Despite it looking somewhat RPG-y, your guys are utterly expendable. Only after they've survived several missions and ranked up a few times it's worth trying to preserve them. But in the end the success of the mission comes first.

-Put your first research into Laser Weapons. Laser Rifles don't consume ammo, are lightweight and pack a decent punch. They will serve as your mainstay weapon for a good part of the game.

-Buy a Rocket Tank early on, it'll help out immensly while you don't have proper weapons.

-Capturing a landed UFO is better than capturing one that has been shot down.

-Avoid doing missions at night, it will put you at a severe disadvantage. If you are worried that a landed UFO might take off before daybreak you can have an interceptor lingering above it so you can shoot it down should it dake off too early.

-If you find have money trouble, you can manufacture stuff and sell it with some profit. Laser Rifles are good for this.

-The chance of one of your bases being attacked depends on several factors, mostly whether it launches any aircraft and where it is located. A research/manufacture base somewhere in the arctic with no hangars nor radar should be very safe from attack.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 15, 2011

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
This has probable been covered, but does anyone have any advice for Secret of Evermore? I just got it; so far I'm in the Bugmuck, I'm level 3, and I have no loving clue what alchemy does or even if there's a way to heal without leveling/resting. I figured out that the dog sniffs where there are alchemy ingredients, but that means nothing if I don't know how to alchemize. Also any generaly gameplay tips, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

ape canyon posted:

This has probable been covered, but does anyone have any advice for Secret of Evermore? I just got it; so far I'm in the Bugmuck, I'm level 3, and I have no loving clue what alchemy does or even if there's a way to heal without leveling/resting. I figured out that the dog sniffs where there are alchemy ingredients, but that means nothing if I don't know how to alchemize. Also any generaly gameplay tips, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Alchemy is pretty much the magic system of the game. If you have the ingredients on you, you can cast the spell. The screen for viewing which elements are needed for each alchemy is in one of the radial menus (the y-menu; press up/down to go between the different cateegories). The icon looks like a flask. You also have to equip an alchemy before you can use it (not sure if this applies to the early-game ones). To equip an alchemy, you need to talk to certain npcs. I think they guy you get Hard Ball from is one of them.

It's been a really long time since I last played it, but I'm pretty sure there are some healing items you can use. I don't think you're quite far enough to have encountered the first healing alchemy, though.

For general gameplay tips, your alchemy spells level as you use them, so don't be afraid of using your spells on non-boss enemies that are giving you a hard time.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Samopsa posted:

There is a LOT of stuff on the wiki:

http://anthonyhobday.com/misc/wsik/index.php/Site/X-ComUFODefense

There is even a link at the end of THAT wiki to take you to another wiki with even more stuff.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Centipeed posted:

There is a LOT of stuff on the wiki:

http://anthonyhobday.com/misc/wsik/index.php/Site/X-ComUFODefense

There is even a link at the end of THAT wiki to take you to another wiki with even more stuff.

Wow, awesome stuff. Totally missed the thread :downs:.
Thanks for the link dude! :hf:

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
What type of character is the best voice/plot/whatever for Mass Effect 2 (I haven't started it yet.)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Most are going to say Jennifer Hale, I think it really doesn't make a difference. You'll like whoever you pick.

Class doesn't affect the plot at all.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Lascivious Sloth posted:

What type of character is the best voice/plot/whatever for Mass Effect 2 (I haven't started it yet.)

There are comparison videos on Youtube showing the difference between female Shepard and male Shepard, and while people say that female Shepard is better, I don't really prefer one over the other.

I thought manshep sounded a bit bland at times, but femshep sounds like she's trying too hard to be emotional, as far as I'm concerned.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I bought Dissidia on a whim today and I don't know a lot about it. Any tips?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Centipeed posted:

There are comparison videos on Youtube showing the difference between female Shepard and male Shepard, and while people say that female Shepard is better, I don't really prefer one over the other.

I thought manshep sounded a bit bland at times, but femshep sounds like she's trying too hard to be emotional, as far as I'm concerned.

FemShep was by far the best in ME1, but Mark Meer gives a better performance in ME2 than in ME1 so really it's personal preference. Or depends on the romance option you want.

Spermando posted:

I bought Dissidia on a whim today and I don't know a lot about it. Any tips?

Play the Destiny Odyssey (story mode) chapters in the order of their star ranking, not in game order. I.e. you should play Cloud or Cecil's story first because they have one star, while Warrior of Light is the hardest with 5 stars.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I am not nearly as angry about this as I used to be, as I have had some very reasonable discussions with people; it seems that if you want to play a renegade, you will be far better off with a female Shepard, as she apparently sounds far more intense. That is not to say that you cannot also like her for paragon, but I have to say the male's voice sounds better to me for the "galactic do-gooder."

RagnarokAngel already pointed out that class does not impact the plot at all, but the type of background you select has at least one interesting impact. I never looked up what the other ones do, but the "sole survivor" background has a pretty awesome scene related to it in the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The true answer is be a female because you'll be playing as the only strong female protagonist in an RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Just downloaded Mass Effect 2, Just Cause 2, and Bully: Scholarship Edition that I got back in the Steam holiday sale. Help me have good experiences.