Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

entris posted:

I don't get why people (mostly liberals) criticize him for this. Cases before the SCOTUS are thoroughly, thoroughly briefed; not to mention, there is an entire record below. I fail to see why the Court even needs oral argument, except for tradition's sake. I know they ask questions and stuff, but it all seems like theater to me.

C-Span (yes, I watch C-Span) has a really good documentary on the Supreme Court, and they interview all the sitting justices plus the recently retired ones. Thomas stated that the reason he doesn't ask questions is because he thinks the attorneys should be able to say what they came to stay, and that interrupting them all the time doesn't do any good. One of the attorneys they interviewed said she once got 50-some questions in one 30-minute oral argument. Mostly, it seems the justices use the time to convince the others of their position and already have an idea how they're going to vote. I don't think much of what the attorneys say changes much, and Thomas just doesn't feel like participating in that. Thomas is a long way from my favorite justice, but I think to some extent he does have a point.

The documentary is viewable on C-Span's website and is really good for anyone who's interested in this type of thing. You can watch the individual interviews with the justices, or the main documentary that combines them all. I show it to my Intro class every semester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

atlas of bugs posted:

I don't like the idea of a dude with a lifetime job who expends almost zero effort.

At least pretend.

I don't know that he spends zero effort on his job. I clerked at an appellate court that only rarely had oral arguments, and I wouldn't say those judges expended "zero effort" because of it. Oral argument is a pretty minuscule part of his job in the grand scheme of things.

I do agree he could at least appear to be paying attention.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Linguica posted:

If he raised that in oral argument, then the attorney would have said something to the effect of "dahhh I don't believe that issue was raised in the opinion below or in either side's brief, but I'll just fart out some off the cuff response to your weird query" and how much more helpful would that have been to anyone?

As for writing an opinion based on an issue that neither side raised, I point you to a case you might have heard of once or twice, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erie_Railroad_Co._v._Tompkins, or perhaps if you like, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapp_v._Ohio

don't hate, appreciate

Marbury v. Madison?

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Ainsley McTree posted:

So I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but people here know about student loans and taxes and we're all bros so what the hell

I consolidated my loans in 2010 and I've been getting 1098-E forms from all my former creditors about the interest that got paid off. I can't deduct that, can I? I feel like that couldn't possibly be right because I didn't actually pay for any of that, the DoE did it. But I looked at IRS publication 970 and before I got bored it said that refinanced loans counted as included interest so...I don't know.

I guess it doesn't really matter, I didn't make enough in 2010 to owe anything anyway but I feel like this information could be useful to other people so I wanted to ask anyway.
It's been covered already by others but yes, you can deduct it. I was able to max out my student loan interest deduction last year because I consolidated. It was nice since that was the only year I could take the deduction before the AGI limits took it away from me.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
http://baselinescenario.com/2011/02/13/bad-data/

quote:

In a recent New York Times story, David Segal describes how law schools massage their metrics to score higher in the US News and World Report rankings. Segal focuses on the tricks that some schools seem to use to boost the number of graduates employed nine months after graduation; for example, some schools apparently hire their own graduates to temporary positions that happen to span the date on which employment rates are measured. The rankings are based on statistics that are defined by the American Bar Association but are self-reported by the schools and not audited by anyone.

maybe this should go in the OP

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

10-8 posted:

It's been covered already by others but yes, you can deduct it. I was able to max out my student loan interest deduction last year because I consolidated. It was nice since that was the only year I could take the deduction before the AGI limits took it away from me.

This is why I'm getting married - I can double that AGI limit and get back in the student loan interest deduction game.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

MaximumBob posted:

This is why I'm getting married - I can double that AGI limit and get back in the student loan interest deduction game.
Yes, but what does she get out of this deal with the devil?

Edit: PS don't tell the thread you're getting married. People will start to believe that "no jobs, die alone" is just hype.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

10-8 posted:

Cross examined, mostly.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

10-8 posted:

Edit: PS don't tell the thread you're getting married. People will start to believe that "no jobs, die alone" is just hype.

I thought "Getting married, having a lovely wreck of a career that combines with abject failure and crippling alcoholism to ruin your marriage and leave you with alimony payments" was all part of the "die alone" tradition

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

10-8 posted:

Cool - I filed them today and deducted it. I didn't get anything out of it really but damnit, I didn't go through all of this just to not take a deduction

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Linguica posted:

If he raised that in oral argument, then the attorney would have said something to the effect of "dahhh I don't believe that issue was raised in the opinion below or in either side's brief, but I'll just fart out some off the cuff response to your weird query" and how much more helpful would that have been to anyone?

I think for counsel and judges, oral argument is a double-edged sword. It takes a lot of prep time on everyone's part. For counsel, you have to know your stuff cold, and you have to be ready to answer related issues not raised in the briefs. For judges, you, not your clerk, have to know what you're talking about. Usually counsel have only one argument, the judges may have up to four. I don't think Thomas has the chops or the confidence to do this, but that's my biased opinion.

Oral argument is a chance to make sure everybody is on the same page; to ensure that 'x' is really what counsel meant/wanted/is requesting; to explain, in small words, if one or more judges just didn't get the argument you were making; and a chance for more input from counsel or as counsel, to shape the court's decision if the court is going in a new direction. It's also a chance for judges to duke it out with each other, using counsel as proxies.

But above all, oral argument is a blast. It's the appellate version of going to trial. In terms of the adrenaline, it's like a mixture of closing argument and cross-examination, but its very different in execution.
Oral argument is one of the things that makes appellate work worth doing; its the pizza party at the end of the year.

Ainsley McTree posted:

So I've heard there are organizations out there (or maybe just one) that pretends to be the SCOTUS to prepare lawyers for oral arguments. They hire people to pretend to be the judges, to impersonate them right down to their personalities.

Do they hire thomases?
They're mostly volunteers. Yes, there are Thomases. Yes, it is a blast to run moot arguments as your favorite (or unfavorite) judge. (No, it wasn't SCOTUS)

If your moot judges are any good, you will have already been asked all the off-brief questions during your workups for oral argument.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 14, 2011

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm not sure if this is the place, but... would anyone be willing to help me find a lawyer in my area good with corporate registration? Or maybe a law-goon can help me?

My situation is unique, I operate a business in a legal grey area, and I really need someone who can choose words carefully. This problem has made my quest to complete my LLC process... difficult.

I've tried searching in my area for people who can help, but have come up short, and I honestly don't trust that a lot of these dudes would understand what I'm working for with this.

Any help would be appreciated. :unsmith:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Don't bother being coy with what you're talking about when we can figure it out in ten seconds: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3355450&userid=149818&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

"I need someone to register my business that sells chemicals that get you high that the DEA hasn't officially scheduled yet".

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

evilweasel posted:

Don't bother being coy with what you're talking about when we can figure it out in ten seconds: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3355450&userid=149818&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

"I need someone to register my business that sells chemicals that get you high that the DEA hasn't officially scheduled yet".

I'm being coy because not being coy gets you banned. I was hoping for a more personal exchange, you know, the confident kind that doesn't get you poo poo-canned.

I'm not trying to gently caress anyone around, I'm just trying to follow the rules. I apologize if it's coming off that way.

edit - To clarify, I was being extremely vague because even discussing what I do is bannable, and I really don't want to break the rules, but I'd really like someones help, even if it's just a PM with a phone number to some random attorney. This isn't about you helping me hide what I do, my website is very blatant about that. I'd just like someone to essentially advise/revise my own application, and help me get everything in order so I can at least operate legally as far as my taxes are concerned.

I apologize and will remove my posts, evil, if you think this is something that's best left off of the forums. Again, I was just hoping for a shove in the right direction at the very least.

Abandon All Hope fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 14, 2011

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

You're best off in the legal advice thread but iirc you don't need to say what your corporation does to register it.

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

evilweasel posted:

You're best off in the legal advice thread but iirc you don't need to say what your corporation does to register it.

My lawyer pal, who does not specialize in these things, said that it varies state to state. He told me to find someone who works in "corporate registration." :suicide:

But thank you, and I will move from here to there. Much appreciated, evilweasel.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Hey Linguica do you have a link to that post I did about Mookie Warbucks and Faggy McPooferson tailors? I got drunk and wanted to read it the other day so I could remember how funny I am but I don't know where the gently caress it is

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Abandon All Hope posted:

I apologize and will remove my posts, evil, if you think this is something that's best left off of the forums. Again, I was just hoping for a shove in the right direction at the very least.

NORML has two lawyers on their recommended lawyers list in your area:

quote:

Spiros P. Cocoves
Phone: 419-241-5506
Fax: 419-242-3442
scocoves@gmail.com
610 Adams St.
2nd Floor
Toledo, 43604-1423

Richard L. Roberts, Sr.
Phone: (419) 244-4777
Fax: (419) 321-1991
krabbydick@gmail.com
1700 Canton Avenue Suite 2
Toledo, 43604

In other news, a lawyer is using "krabbydick@gmail.com" as their business E-mail address. Surely a brilliant decision that will inspire confidence in potential clients and opposing counsel.

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Konstantin posted:

In other news, a lawyer is using "krabbydick@gmail.com" as their business E-mail address. Surely a brilliant decision that will inspire confidence in potential clients and opposing counsel.

Thank you so much, you're a savior. :)

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Konstantin posted:

Damnit, they stole the e-mail address I was going to use for my law practice. :(

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Konstantin posted:

Hahahaha

quote:

Richard L. Roberts, Sr.

Unless Krabby Dick legally added "Sr." to his name, that's not his real name. No one names their child "Such and-Such, Sr." Hahahaha

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Abandon All Hope posted:

My lawyer pal, who does not specialize in these things, said that it varies state to state. He told me to find someone who works in "corporate registration." :suicide:
Your lawyer pal is either dumb, lazy, or just didn't want to get involved. "Corporate registration" is something a moderately educated layman can do easily. There's tons of non-lawyer "legal services" places that help you with mechanical form-filling stuff like register an S corporation or file an uncontested divorce. If your state is one that allows corporations for "any lawful purpose" then filling out a form is all an attorney will probably do anyway.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Konstantin posted:

hahahahaha i have renewed faith in this profession.

Ref
Jun 21, 2003

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game.
Greetings from the Med School thread, how are you guys taking the news that Obama's plan fix the economy is to end subsidized Stafford loans for grad/professional school? Assuming that the interest rate is staying the same, just the full balance will start accruing interest day 1.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

MaximumBob posted:

I didn't realize this. The single limit is 75k, right? If you're married does it go up to 150?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Ref posted:

Greetings from the Med School thread, how are you guys taking the news that Obama's plan fix the economy is to end subsidized Stafford loans for grad/professional school? Assuming that the interest rate is staying the same, just the full balance will start accruing interest day 1.

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Elotana posted:

Your lawyer pal is either dumb, lazy, or just didn't want to get involved. "Corporate registration" is something a moderately educated layman can do easily. There's tons of non-lawyer "legal services" places that help you with mechanical form-filling stuff like register an S corporation or file an uncontested divorce. If your state is one that allows corporations for "any lawful purpose" then filling out a form is all an attorney will probably do anyway.

He did say he'd feel bad charging me to do state forms, essentially. But he did say because of the nature of my business, I should try to find some form of consultation.

I appreciate all the help though!

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

HiddenReplaced posted:

I didn't realize this. The single limit is 75k, right? If you're married does it go up to 150?

Yeah, that's exactly right.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Ref posted:

gently caress you med thread go home.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
krabbydick@gmail.com is the best business email ever and y'all bitches just jealous.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

...and how it was a complete rip-off of B5? Live for the One, die for the One.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought DS9 ripped off B5.

It was still better than Voyager. Or the series that followed that was somehow even worse.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Ref posted:

It's sad but I graduate in May, so I GOT MINE.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

wacko_- posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought DS9 ripped off B5.

It was still better than Voyager. Or the series that followed that was somehow even worse.

The best thing that can be said about Enterprise is that a bunch of their props and costumes were re-used by BSG.

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tetrix posted:

hahahahaha i have renewed faith in this profession.

As a follow-up, I called his office and his secretary was actually very nice!

Unfortunately he was heading to a court date, but she took my number and number and stuff.

That's right, I want Krabby Dick.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ref posted:

we literally have homeless people posting ITT, this is like the least of our problems

go back to your yacht club

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I called "Krabby Dick," and whoever guessed that it was an alias was correct.

The attorney I spoke with was actually very blunt, but very personable. He didn't bullshit me around, and helped me take care of what I needed to. You might have also guessed that he has a good sense of humor.

Anyways, the fog has been cleared, thank you savvy goons who helped me. :)

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Elotana posted:

Or he's not in the same jurisdiction.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
So I need to pass the Missouri bar this summer. If I fail I get eaten by bears. Do I need to take a bar review course?

Reasons not to take a bar review course:
- Missouri's bar is supposed to be one of the easier ones and the passage rate is high
- I hate sitting in class
- Not paying Barbri means more booze money for me
- I'm not a complete moron (didn't graduate from Bob's School of Fish Preparation, Shoe Repair, and Lawyering)
- I have enough self-control to study without a class forcing me to do so
- no bar class means I don't have to be anywhere specific to study and could study say on the beach in Mexico instead of Missouri
- I really really hate sitting in class

Reasons to take a bar review course:
- they teach some special voodoo bar handshake method that I need to know to pass the bar and will never learn from the books (like, "you need to use the exact language "Bob is guilty of X because Y" or you will fail")
- I will look like a total dumbass if I don't take a class and then fail

Thoughts? I really, really don't want to take the bar class, but need someone to justify my pre-conceived opinion. Please tell me I can buy the books off ebay for $200, study on my couch six hours a day for a month and a half, and pass.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Nero posted:

Do I need to take a bar review course?

Most of your reasons for not taking a course seem to indicate you just don't like going to class. There are self-paced courses available for this situation. Although courses are pricey, so was law school.

Also I hear bears are particularly cruel to those who fail the Missouri bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Nero posted:

Thoughts? I really, really don't want to take the bar class, but need someone to justify my pre-conceived opinion. Please tell me I can buy the books off ebay for $200, study on my couch six hours a day for a month and a half, and pass.

I would definitely buy the books and try to get outlines from someone who is in class, if you have any friends who are having a firm pay for them to take it (then you can get the notes from the Essay Writing section where they tell you how to get cheap points on essays and stuff). I passed the essay portion using old 2008 books for the 2010 exam and thought the MO essay portion was pretty straightforward, but I also didn't have to sit for the MBE. Barbri is pretty helpful, I think, for the MBE. Lectures can be nice because the people sometimes present the information in a way that clicks with you more than the book does but it's kind of a crap shoot - it could just as easily not click with you.