Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
Sorry if I missed this, but a guard was strangled in a prison chapel in WA. She was the only guard on duty at the time, WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTBrennan
Jun 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

Sorry if I missed this, but a guard was strangled in a prison chapel in WA. She was the only guard on duty at the time, WTF?

And once again our system of justice takes another victim. How many people have to die and suffer before something is changed. I hope she didn't suffer for long before she passed.

I'd like to know whether or not there is a camera in the church recording so more light can be shed on the incident and what transpired before the strangulation.

PTBrennan fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 31, 2011

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

DMBFan23 posted:

The Power of Jesus was supposed to force inmates to behave properly and protect the guard.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

VoidAltoid posted:

It does make you wonder if the kid has some severe cognitive disorder, as at his age that would seriously gently caress up most kids. It could be some sort of sociopath-type thing, or he's developmentally disabled in some other way. Either way, he needs some help, not prison.

You can tell by the picture that he's a sociopath. And as long as he gets help that ensures he never gets to be free again, I don't care what it is.

The Reaganomicon
Oct 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Napoleon I posted:

You can tell by the picture that he's a sociopath. And as long as he gets help that ensures he never gets to be free again, I don't care what it is.

How sociopathic of you. :stare:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Napoleon I posted:

Did you learn that all from one photo or are you being sarcastic (I don't know why)?
If you can accurately diagnose people with a photo, you have a calling as a psychiatrist, preferably one who gives ritalin to 5 year olds who can stay still and read a book for 8 hours straight.

If he is in fact mentally ill, he should be treated and kept in a locked facility until he is cured or treated to a degree that he is not a danger to society. If that never happens, then yeah, life. If that happens in 5 years, 5 years. Giving up completely on a 11 year old is too sad to fathom.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Napoleon I posted:

I hope you are being sarcastic. We don't know if his parents were abusing him, if he has untreated mental problems, if he was being bullied at school, etc etc.

I was abused fairly badly as a kid and I can say confidently that if someone put a weapon in front of me while my dad had the switch or choking me or headbutting me and all the other random poo poo he did, I probably would have fired. I wouldn't hurt a fly in general but pain and a lack of love really gently caress you up.

PTBrennan
Jun 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

I was abused fairly badly as a kid and I can say confidently that if someone put a weapon in front of me while my dad had the switch or choking me or headbutting me and all the other random poo poo he did, I probably would have fired. I wouldn't hurt a fly in general but pain and a lack of love really gently caress you up.

Or it would just be self defense? Why do you have to be hosed up to defend yourself? If a person was physically assaulting me and I had a weapon, I'd do everything in my power to defend myself.

People like to downplay physical fights like it's no big deal. Someone punching, kicking, head butting, etc. can lead to serious harm and long lasting medical problems whether the person meant it or not. I also believe it does real mental damage to be a victim of an assault, feelings of being powerless and a victim can cause serious mental trauma in my opinion. The simple act of physically assaulting someone means you wish to do them harm, how is the victim suppose to know when you intend to stop? You start physically assaulting me, I'm assuming you mean to take this all the way and so do I.

You're not hosed up for shooting someone who's trying to physically assault you. You're hosed up for shooting someone who's doing nothing to you.

PTBrennan fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 2, 2011

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
NY: GOP Senators join together to challenge the Census Adjustment Act, a bill passed last year to end prison gerrymandering

quote:

"I raised doubts then, as I do now, that this is constitutional," said Sen. Mike Nozzolio, one of the Republicans on the task force. "We're reviewing a number of options, and we're analyzing what would be the most appropriate course to block this provision."

"I think it's totally unfair," said [Betty] Little (R-Queensbury), whose district contains 10 state prisons, "and it shows the focus of the people who put this through, and their interest in getting more clout and more power for New York City and taking away from upstate." :ironicat:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HidingFromGoro posted:

NC college professors support giving prison inmates access to machine guns, grenades, rocket launchers, and body armor? As well as extensive training in the use of military weapons/equipment, combat tactics, interrogation, battlefield first aid, and urban warfare; plus comprehensive insurance & medical benefits for them + their families- all at taxpayer expense?

Sounds to me like you could really put some NC professors on the spot with the local media, should you be so inclined.

Old, but she was hardly a professor. She was a former deputy (I think) teaching some CJ poo poo at a rural community college, and she didn't support it as much as she didn't disagree with him like I did.

Of course I could just be an rear end in a top hat, and she just let me rip into the guy for her.

It should be noted that in the same class I had to berate a woman for saying we should get rid of things like weight rooms and libraries. I asked her if she thought inmates should just sit in bare concrete cubes. She said yes. That was an exciting day, too.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

HELLO THERE posted:

Anybody want to point me to a free PDF hosting place so I can post this?

http://filesmelt.com/simple

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

HidingFromGoro posted:

NY: GOP Senators join together to challenge the Census Adjustment Act, a bill passed last year to end prison gerrymandering

CAA seems reasonable to me. The inmates are not constituents in those districts, so why should they be counted as such? The Republicans against this are the worst "representatives" I've ever seen. They aren't going to represent the prisoners who give them their power. So take that power away. It's based on false numbers.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
And lo, the great Beast slowly began to lift its massive, lulled eyes to the incessant rabble of Its own innards:
Conservatives Latch onto Prison Reform

quote:

In the not-too-distant past, conservatives might have derided those concepts as mushy-headed liberalism — the essence of "soft on crime."

Nowadays, these same ideas are central to a strategy being packaged as "conservative criminal justice reform," and have rolled out in right-leaning states around the country in an effort to rein in budget-busting corrections costs.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JMBosch posted:

And lo, the great Beast slowly began to lift its massive, lulled eyes to the incessant rabble of Its own innards:
Conservatives Latch onto Prison Reform

Sounds like their core voting constituency is getting arrested too much in these economic times.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I'm trying find data pertaining to how wealth affects conviction rates. Does anyone have some links?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Zeitgueist posted:

I'm trying find data pertaining to how wealth affects conviction rates. Does anyone have some links?
I'm reading this: http://www.amazon.com/Punishment-Inequality-America-Bruce-Western/dp/087154895X
It has a lot of stats that suggest that being poor makes you much more likely to go to prison. Nothing to shocking, but it has numbers.
I don't think anyone has done anything with pure convictions. Honestly, in CA, the public defender's offices have win rates that many privates would do a lot for. The real value in being wealthy is in pre-trial and not being charged as well as sentencing.
That isn't to say money can't buy a not guilty. OJ Simpson proved that. His defense team did something unprecedented. In felony in CA you have a right to a trial in 60d. This is almost always waved in serious cases because you can't get a defense in order that quickly. OJ did not wave his time waver. Instead, he hired a massive number of lawyers and experts and prepared a trial faster than the LA county DA. It meant that certain DNA testing wasn't done, witnesses weren't prepped and more. OJ won because he outspend the LA county DA.
It was a genius strategy that could only work by being willing and able to throw millions into a defense.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Thanks for the information, but I'm looking for some online sources.

I'm not necessarily thinking that public defenders have a bad win rate at trial, but more that you are far less likely to go to jail if you're wealthy than not. I know I've seen numbers for that, but I don't have any on hand.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Oops, doublepost.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Michael Tonry is the pretty much the world expert on comparing and explaining prison rates between countries. He focuses more on the academic side of race and social/welfare policies, but you could email him asking for sources on income and prison, I'm sure he'd have oodles.

Unfortunately off the top of my head I cannot think of any sources explicitly talking about income and prison rates.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 15, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Zeitgueist posted:

I'm not necessarily thinking that public defenders have a bad win rate at trial, but more that you are far less likely to go to jail if you're wealthy than not. I know I've seen numbers for that, but I don't have any on hand.

That is in the book. It isn't online, but it is in your library.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

Thanks for the information, but I'm looking for some online sources.

Here you go

Jeff Reiman- a critical criminologist

quote:

Reiman argues three points to support his theory:

1. Society fails to protect people from the crimes they fear by refusing to alleviate the poverty that breeds them.
2. The criminal justice system fails to protect people from the most serious dangers by failing to define the dangerous acts of those who are well off as crimes and by failing to enforce the law vigorously against the well to do when they commit acts that are defined as crimes.
3. By virtue of these and other failures, the criminal justice system succeeds in creating the image that crime is almost exclusively the work of the poor, an image that serves the interests of the powerful (Reiman 1995: 8-9).

Online study guide and resource center, with chapter by chapter exercises, for students and professors reading The Rich Get Richer & the Poor Get Prison

The Rich (Still) Get Richer- Understanding Ideology, Outrage and Economic Bias

My copy is with Golden Lion Tamarin, when he's done maybe he can be persuaded to send it to you

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Zeitgueist posted:

I would note my statement applies only to professional state employed public defenders.
If you're picked up in a county or state with a contract or list system, poo poo I hope you're rich.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
aside: There's an episode of the comedy quiz QI on iplayer at the moment, which has a segment on American prisons. As facts about the imprisonment rates, effective slave labour, 3 strikes, the racial inequality and other issues come up, Jimmy Carr, a comedian who relies on shock and outrage, briefly kinda breaks character and says "I'd very much like to say something hilarious, but something must be DONE!".

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

HidingFromGoro posted:

Thank you very much for that. Don't worry about sending me your copy, I'll find one on my own for my personal use. I originally asked for the statistics as part of argument with a good friend(I know, it's dumb), and I wanted to supply data through links. That book is more than I care to throw at the conversation, but I definitely plan on reading it myself.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

aside: There's an episode of the comedy quiz QI on iplayer at the moment, which has a segment on American prisons. As facts about the imprisonment rates, effective slave labour, 3 strikes, the racial inequality and other issues come up, Jimmy Carr, a comedian who relies on shock and outrage, briefly kinda breaks character and says "I'd very much like to say something hilarious, but something must be DONE!".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwT6CisM0mU

Check out the reaction shots of their faces when they learn that more black 17 year olds are in jail than in college, at like 2:15 or so

nm
Jan 28, 2008

HidingFromGoro posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwT6CisM0mU

Check out the reaction shots of their faces when they learn that more black 17 year olds are in jail than in college, at like 2:15 or so

The Bruce Western book I posted concludes that the only reason unemployment for non-College educated men went down in the 1990s was because so many of them were in prison. Basically, no jobs were added, just more of the growing population went to prison.
It is dry as poo poo, but the numbers are scary.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Did he say 93 percent of domestically produced PAINTS? Made by prisoners? Jesus christ it really is like slavery all over again.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Stew Man Chew posted:

Did he say 93 percent of domestically produced PAINTS? Made by prisoners? Jesus christ it really is like slavery all over again.

Stand up for civil rights and buy foreign.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stew Man Chew posted:

Jesus christ it really is like slavery all over again.

We need to call it this, openly. This is important because it is the naked truth. We solved the automation crisis by imprisoning everyone who became obsolete because the market could not support them any longer, but the market not only can support slaves, but its players gain power through acquisition of slaves.

In the world of tomorrow, ditch diggers don't earn minimum wage.

Mister Bee
Apr 28, 2009

Hup hup, Mister Bee!

Stew Man Chew posted:

This got me curious as to just how much domestic production prison labor accounts for. Anyone have any hard statistics on the percent of GDP that prisoner-made products take up, or similar info?

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

baquerd posted:

We need to call it this, openly. This is important because it is the naked truth. We solved the automation crisis by imprisoning everyone who became obsolete because the market could not support them any longer, but the market not only can support slaves, but its players gain power through acquisition of slaves.

In the world of tomorrow, ditch diggers don't earn minimum wage.
It's so painfully true. Almost everyone I've ever met that had some idea what the 13th Amendment was assumed, or was convinced, it outlawed slavery in the United States. Unfortunately, not exactly:

Amendment XIII to the United States Constitution posted:

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
It's an ingrained part of our base for legal authority that says prison slavery or debt slavery is A-OK. It's loving disgusting.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
Women in prison: Why Oklahoma leads the nation

quote:

For a $31 marijuana buy, Patricia Marilyn Spottedcrow got 12 years in prison, away from her four young children and husband and ending her work in nursing homes.

Three days before Christmas, Spottedcrow, also known as inmate No. 622641, started her stint at Eddie Warrior Correctional Center.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

People doing hard time for non violent offenses kills me. loving guys who embezzle billions of dollars get less time than non violent drug offenders. gently caress.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

quote:

When Spottedcrow was taken to jail after her sentencing, she had marijuana in her jacket. She pleaded guilty to that additional charge on Jan. 24 and sentenced to two years in prison and fined nearly $1,300. The sentence will run concurrent with her other conviction.

Ouch. That happened to me. Went to the lockup to do 6 days for failing to pay a fine and forgot I had a couple of joints in my back pocket. Fortunately I found it before they did and flushed it the gently caress down the toilet. Scared the poo poo out of me though, as I had been patted down twice and somehow they didn't find it.

Turns out I didn't have to do 6 days though, because the fine wasn't paid due to a clerical error (they lost my records for a while and couldnt accept the fine) and the screw took pity on me and called in a JP (Australian thing. Justice of the peace, casual judges who can be called in to police stations to rule on things like bail, fine violations, parole or warrants)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

whymarijuanashouldbelegal.doc

Jesus Christ. Seriously 12 years for loving pot? Even if someone is moving tons and tons of pot they shouldn't do 12 years.
That is loving mad. Pot shouldn't even be illegal, but to go and give someone 12 years for selling a small amount of a substance no more harmful than alcohol is absolutely disgusting.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

nm
Jan 28, 2008

HidingFromGoro posted:

Racism solved!
. . . .
wait a sec.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

This is a weird question. How hard is it to break into a prison to free someone as opposed to breaking out of one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The French Army! posted:

This is a weird question. How hard is it to break into a prison to free someone as opposed to breaking out of one?

With zero help, you are going to need to be the world's luckiest man to get out, depending of course on the security level. Some prisons have day release work programs...

• Locked thread