Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.
On the contractor side, the people supporting us lost their contract and their replacements are totally random. No relevant experience whatsoever except for one guy (a more senior guy). One of them was a history teacher and a Guard MI O-2 with no relevant experience to what we do. Not even remotely relevant, except for being in MI (which is really, really remote as far as I'm concerned, since that doesn't mean he can do this particular job).

Total loss on that for us pretty much. I have no idea how these guys were pulled, but I'd imagine it was the Happydayz branch chief method.

Skandiaavity posted:

Well, as this is the thread and it's word of mouth - Mind sharing the billets? Who knows, maybe you will find a fit.

Then you'd have to move to grovertown. :P

Zoo fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
wasn't asking for myself in particular, but I do know there's a few senior folks lurkin'.

DIA seems fun to work for..

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Skandiaavity posted:

Well, as this is the thread and it's word of mouth - Mind sharing the billets? Who knows, maybe you will find a fit.
They're up on USAJobs. If you're qualified, we'll see you.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

Can anyone tell me about the GSA? I have an interview with them and I was wondering if they were a good place to be.

I've heard anecdotally from several people that the GSA is the best place to work in the federal government other than maybe the park service and GAO. It's probably no mystery as to why those agencies are never hiring.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Guess whose clearance just went through! (Yup, that would be me!)

I'm so excited that my job is actually a sure thing now. I just have to wait for them to put me in a training cohort. Unfortunately, February and March are both full and April might be filling up too. If I can't get into the April group, then I'll probably have to wait until the summer because of the BRAC move. But I'm not going to get stressed about this because at least I have a pretty pleasant temp assignment until mid-April...and there's actually a light at the end of the tunnel!

Thank Jeebus.

Thanks for putting up with my constant freaking out, guys!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hey congrats, that is great news.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Congratulations dude, glad to hear it. Now you can listen to my constant freaking out until I get cleared! (Met the investigator only a month ago, cue several months of hair pulling).

So how long did it take you, from application sent to cleared?

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 15, 2011

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

psydude posted:

I've heard anecdotally from several people that the GSA is the best place to work in the federal government other than maybe the park service and GAO. It's probably no mystery as to why those agencies are never hiring.

Good news, they are hiring (otherwise I imagine my interview will be quite short).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah it looks like they have a few openings for more experienced positions. Good luck!

In the mean time, I'll remain the bitter entry level person I am.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

CherryCola posted:

I'm so excited that my job is actually a sure thing now. I just have to wait for them to put me in a training cohort. Unfortunately, February and March are both full and April might be filling up too. If I can't get into the April group, then I'll probably have to wait until the summer because of the BRAC move. But I'm not going to get stressed about this because at least I have a pretty pleasant temp assignment until mid-April...and there's actually a light at the end of the tunnel!

Thank Jeebus.

FYI, now you can browse clearancejobs.com - which is like USAJobs but people actually respond to you... although they tend to look for TS. (and your job is not a sure thing until your paperwork goes through. But now you have Security Clearance for ~2 years which makes hiring getting easy if it doesn't go through. Also be aware that Your-Agency Security Clearance does not equal every agency Security Clearance. A NGA Clearance is not equal to State, which in turn is not equal to IRS/DOE/whoever's etc. But personally I have found it helps getting your paperwork through if you have clearance from X and seeking Y clearance they tend to rubber stamp things a little bit.)

there is a bunch of unspoken rules now that you have security clearance, though. It can be revoked at any time. You're not expected to be a goody-two-shoes but don't get yourself caught up in something bad. Just me, but I wouldn't post it on facebook or the like (the general saying is don't paint yourself a target). edit: It's OK to put it on your resume, though. Put it at the bottom/with certifications with the format [Clearance Type] [Issuing Agency]. Expiration date or granted date is not needed unless it expired already.

Also, print a hard copy of that e-mail if they sent it to you that way. You never know if you might have to prove that you were given clearance.

Gravel Gravy, mine was most certainly a unique case, but 3 1/2 years.

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 15, 2011

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

CherryCola posted:

Thank Jeebus.

Continuing the tradition of goons makin' it.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Skandiaavity posted:

FYI, now you can browse clearancejobs.com - which is like USAJobs but people actually respond to you... although they tend to look for TS. (and your job is not a sure thing until your paperwork goes through. But now you have Security Clearance for ~2 years which makes hiring getting easy if it doesn't go through. Also be aware that Your-Agency Security Clearance does not equal every agency Security Clearance. A NGA Clearance is not equal to State, which in turn is not equal to IRS/DOE/whoever's etc. But personally I have found it helps getting your paperwork through if you have clearance from X and seeking Y clearance they tend to rubber stamp things a little bit.)

there is a bunch of unspoken rules now that you have security clearance, though. It can be revoked at any time. You're not expected to be a goody-two-shoes but don't get yourself caught up in something bad. Just me, but I wouldn't post it on facebook or the like (the general saying is don't paint yourself a target). edit: It's OK to put it on your resume, though. Put it at the bottom/with certifications with the format [Clearance Type] [Issuing Agency]. Expiration date or granted date is not needed unless it expired already.

Also, print a hard copy of that e-mail if they sent it to you that way. You never know if you might have to prove that you were given clearance.

For the State Department, at least, (and I suspect the rest of the USG, too) a clearance is not awarded until actually entering on duty. The investigation, etc., is all done, but there are specific steps that have to take place before you actually have a clearance, and those can only happen after entry on duty. Until then, you don't have a clearance, and shouldn't suggest as much on job apps/resumes, etc.

Once you're on duty, though, go hog wild!

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Skandiaavity posted:

Well lucky for me, I have a TS! I actually haven't gotten the official paperwork, but I talked to the HR person who told me that I'm past the adjudication and awaiting placement.

I did tell a few people, because most of them knew I was waiting anyway...and were interviewed as part of the investigation. :) Otherwise, I've spoken in very general terms about the job. I mostly tell people I'm going to be an analyst or that it's a "federal position."

edit: Also I totally am a goody-two-shoes anyway, so I totally have this covered :)

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Business of Ferrets posted:

For the State Department, at least, (and I suspect the rest of the USG, too) a clearance is not awarded until actually entering on duty. The investigation, etc., is all done, but there are specific steps that have to take place before you actually have a clearance, and those can only happen after entry on duty. Until then, you don't have a clearance, and shouldn't suggest as much on job apps/resumes, etc.

Once you're on duty, though, go hog wild!

Interesting. Perhaps mine was a little different. I got a letter and an e-mail stating I was granted from Issuing Agency and from the issuing date onwards it was active. For individual agency clearance, I insist on having it go through before I actually start any work (just as a best practice), even if it's just public trust.

the #1 rule i was taught that was you need to have your papers in first. All it takes is 1 auditor, internal or external, to mess up your day without your papers. (tbqh, I am not really clued in on the amount of internal auditing feds do. but I know they love to externally audit. so that advice may not apply.) If she hasn't gotten her papers in yet then best to follow your guidance.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
I have a question. Someone from HR for a government contractor I interviewed with gave me a call and wanted to "go over about 30 questions that pertained to the security clearance the job required." Do you guys think this is an SF-86? What should I be expecting/have ready when I call back?

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

I have a question. Someone from HR for a government contractor I interviewed with gave me a call and wanted to "go over about 30 questions that pertained to the security clearance the job required." Do you guys think this is an SF-86? What should I be expecting/have ready when I call back?

It sounds like generic questions to check your eligibility for a clearance. The SF-86 is a giant, monotonous form in which you document your previous residences, people you knew at those residences, etc., and which ends with a list of questions about drug use, criminal activity, espionage (hyperbole generally imo), and other stuff. I wouldn't expect to fill it out over the phone. It's online now in many cases. It's a pain in the rear end and you'll have to dig through your life history for it; gonna be more than 30 phone Q's. He might just ask you the questions at the end of the form, dunno, but you'll fill it out properly some other time surely. You need to enter your SSN, sign, etc.

You probably don't need to have anything ready except your memory of any drug use and what-not, but always better to be prepared than not, eh?

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

CherryCola posted:

Well lucky for me, I have a TS! I actually haven't gotten the official paperwork, but I talked to the HR person who told me that I'm past the adjudication and awaiting placement.

I did tell a few people, because most of them knew I was waiting anyway...and were interviewed as part of the investigation. :) Otherwise, I've spoken in very general terms about the job. I mostly tell people I'm going to be an analyst or that it's a "federal position."

edit: Also I totally am a goody-two-shoes anyway, so I totally have this covered :)

I'm glad that worked out for you. All of your questions and anxieties while waiting were perfectly normal, believe it or not. You'll walk through the doors eventually and you'll be able to tell everyone how stressful it was. :P

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Zoo posted:

It sounds like generic questions to check your eligibility for a clearance....

You probably don't need to have anything ready except your memory of any drug use and what-not, but always better to be prepared than not, eh?

It's apparently some sort of pre-screen. I was wondering if I should fish out old employer addresses, my passport, and yank a molar for the call, but I guess that will come later.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

psydude posted:

What exactly do you mean by referrals? Have someone email HR telling them to look out for X resume?

Have someone in the office vouch for "X", at which point the hiring manager will CTRL-F for the name and at least look at the resume.

Honestly just that little bit is a big deal - getting someone with actual authority to read your resume, is a big deal.

Official referrals through the referral process is a waste of time. I don't even bother trying to refer people through official channels anymore after the Arabic, Mandarin, and Korean speaking combat veterans I referred did not even get contacted.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 10, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Xandu posted:

From my experience, it's eligibility stuff like previous drug use, felony convictions, contact with foreign nationals, debt and social security number. 30 questions is a lot though, so I guess it's more detailed.

But if you're serious about the job, you should fish out the rest of the stuff soon if you don't have it handy; the process is a real pain the rear end if you haven't lived in one place and held one job for the past decade. I'm apparently supposed to (required to) have references that I know from my time living overseas...that are currently living in the US. :bang:
Yeah, it just sounds like the standard clearance pre-screening where they check to make sure you're not disqualified before they spend a lot of money on the formal investigation.

Listen to the wording of the questions VERY carefully. They may ask if you've pirated any movies or mp3s on a government computer, or others of this nature that you can truthfully answer "no" to even if you torrent all the time from home.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
Thanks guys, I'm going to give them a call back today. Hopefully it isn't too intense. Is it worth mentioning I contact 'foreign nationals' off of internet comedy message boards sometimes?

edit: Finished, and it wasn't too bad! Just a lot of, are you broke, are you a spy, have you done drugs in the last 5 years.

LactoseO.D.'d fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 16, 2011

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
See! that wasn't so bad! Now wait till you see the SF-86 :suicide:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Skandiaavity posted:

See! that wasn't so bad! Now wait till you see the SF-86 :suicide:

And Bob help you if you have to use the E-Qip!

If you are filling the thing out manually, just know that they hate blank spaces. If you come to a question that doesn't apply to you (military service? federal service? etc) put N/A or something.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I had to do mine twice because I applied for it right before they switched to e-Qip. Pain. In. The. rear end.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

Happydayz posted:

Official referrals through the referral process is a waste of time. I don't even bother trying to refer people through official channels anymore after the Arabic, Mandarin, and Korean speaking combat veterans I referred did not even get contacted.

I have a fluent Urdu speaker (who has held TS w/ SSBI) in the same boat. Nothing comes of the employee referral program. I made a strong case and specific recommendations.

It seems to work for contractors though.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Finally got a call for a interview with the Department of the Treasury...3 weeks after I accepted and started a private sector job in the DC area. Oh well, maybe farther down my career path, when the economy gets better and I have actual experience that will be relevant to my search. For now though, I'm glad I'm making more than GS5/GS7 since that was the max I qualified to start at.

The main thing is that I finally have a job in the DC area, which was my main goal.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Drive to Atlanta for my first "gently caress this bullshit, I will just pay the scholarship money back on my own" non-government job interview since graduation, feel pretty good about it. Drive 7 hours back, check e-mail, and there's a tentative offer from the Border Patrol after 4 months of non-communication and me assuming they tossed my application like the other FCIP programs I applied for.

GOVERNMENNNNNNTTTTT :argh:

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

I got a GS7 Step 1 job offer and asked HR if I would qualify for a higher step based on the fact that I'll have a masters before I start. She said no, that GS7 Step 1 is where you'd start with a masters. I took her word for it, sulked a little, and accepted the job offer (they only gave me 3 days to accept, so it was really rushed).

Then I started actually reading up on it. Everything I've read says that a masters should start you at GS9. I understand that the job posting was GS7, so I don't expect to be bumped up to GS9 or anything, but I was given incorrect information by HR and think I should at least be considered to start at a higher step. The salary range listed on the job posting allows for that. Now that I've accepted their offer, is it too late to try to negotiate again? Not that the first was really much negotiation, I was just asking them a simple question. Doesn't the fact that I've already accepted the offer indicate I'm willing to take the GS7 Step 1 pay and thus make any negotiations sound really weak? I feel like such an idiot.

For what it's worth, I haven't signed anything yet, I just called them and accepted. My potential supervisor is really enthusiastic and excited that I've accepted, so I don't want to gently caress things up now. But I also don't want to lose out on a potential $5-$10k raise.

If it's not totally lovely to negotiate, how on earth do I do this? I'm not living in the city where the job is. Would I do it over the phone? Should I email them a list of reasons I should be started at a higher step?

Yay for being clueless for my first adult job offer.

amethystbliss fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 19, 2011

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

amethystbliss posted:

I got a GS7 Step 1 job offer and asked HR if I would qualify for a higher step based on the fact that I'll have a masters before I start. She said no, that GS7 Step 1 is where you'd start with a masters. I took her word for it, sulked a little, and accepted the job offer (they only gave me 3 days to accept, so it was really rushed).

Then I started actually reading up on it. Everything I've read says that a masters should start you at GS9. I understand that the job posting was GS7, so I don't expect to be bumped up to GS9 or anything, but I was given incorrect information by HR and think I should at least be considered to start at a higher step. The salary range listed on the job posting allows for that. Now that I've accepted their offer, is it too late to try to negotiate again? Not that the first was really much negotiation, I was just asking them a simple question. Doesn't the fact that I've already accepted the offer indicate I'm willing to take the GS7 Step 1 pay and thus make any negotiations sound really weak? I feel like such an idiot.

For what it's worth, I haven't signed anything yet, I just called them and accepted. My potential supervisor is really enthusiastic and excited that I've accepted, so I don't want to gently caress things up now. But I also don't want to lose out on a potential $5-$10k raise.

If it's not totally lovely to negotiate, how on earth do I do this? I'm not living in the city where the job is. Would I do it over the phone? Should I email them a list of reasons I should be started at a higher step?

I don't have a solid, proper HR answer for you, but I can relay to you that I verbally accepted a GG-10 offer before I first got here and later was able to renegotiate to -11. The caveat to my anecdote is that roughly a year had passed in that timeframe (I accepted about a year before I was going to start work), but my HR rep didn't balk -- and I was living mostly on unemployment during that year, so I wasn't able to argue that I had much more job experience when I renegotiated. I would call up your rep and ask (phone is fine). Just explain the situation. The bad news is that the rep might just re-iterate the line, "Oh, nope, a master's is GS-7," but hey, see what you can do.

edit: The job posting being GS-7 might make this difficult. I'd still try for a higher step. First ask about -9, and if that gets shot down in a convincing way then it might be because it really is a -7 billet and you should make the case that you are qualified for a 9, so you should get a higher step. HR reps will be hit or miss on this. I had my HR rep at my last job outright lie to me about that ("sir, step 1 is the only offer we can make" -- I found out after I was hired that they were authorized up to step 4).

Also, if you get really lucky and have a strong rapport with your new boss(es), there's a chance they'll be receptive to your sob story and pull levers to bump you early. I left my first job for a higher pay grade job and my bosses offered to bump me a pay grade + two steps (I think). I would absolutely not count on this, though, and I definitely don't know how the rules/processes differ among the agencies. I know a lot of people who got hired with great credentials at a low pay grade and just had to suck it up; the most likely scenario probably, if your re-negotiation attempt doesn't work. I've also run into a couple, "wait, you're a lower pay grade than me with a master's and I just have a bachelor's?" anecdotes among the hired-straight-from-college types.

BTW, almost everyone forgets to push negotiations properly on their first job offer. Just remember that you aren't working for HR, so they don't care. Once you do sign the paperwork your relationship is pretty much over.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 19, 2011

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Again on the non-HR side, but I would try to renegotiate. I regularly apply for GS-7 positions and am eligible with just a Bachelor's and "superior academic achievement".

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

amethystbliss posted:

They can fix it after you start, if you can prove that you're eligible for GS-9. You may or may not get back pay, though. I'd work with HR, they're the ones who sign the paperwork for your raises and step increases, and would tell your supervisor what grade you're supposed to be. She is right that a Masters makes you eligible for GS-7 (Bachelors for GS-5 and PhD for GS-9), but if there are other things where a master PLUS [whatever] makes you eligible for a GS-9 like BS PLUS [any of a list of easy things] = GS-7, be specific about it. Reference a specific guidance document if you can. Consider it your first task as a government worker, as there will be lots more where this came from ;)

Set, I think what you were offered to stay was more along the lines of a QSI that came out of the bonus budget. The first command I worked at routinely hired engineers at GS-7 step 10 during the dot.com boom because they had difficulty getting good people for GS-7 pay, so I know it's possible, but I'm not sure exactly how. Bit different with today's economy, though, they don't just give the recruitment incentives away now...

grover fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 19, 2011

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

grover posted:

Set, I think what you were offered to stay was more along the lines of a QSI that came out of the bonus budget. The first command I worked at routinely hired engineers at GS-7 step 10 during the dot.com boom because they had difficulty getting good people for GS-7 pay. Bit different with today's economy...

It sounded like a QSI, but I neglected to mention that it was during the pay-for-performance era -- actually, the whole fiasco was because of pay-for-performance in a convoluted, boring way. I distinctly recall they offered to bump me to what my salary would've been had the conversion to pay-for-performance not screwed me at hiring time, which was the equivalent of the next pay grade at step 2 had we been using the GS/GG scale (I was supposed to be grandfathered in to having that happen automatically), but yeah it was probably from the same pot of money. I left the job and never found out.

She should definitely try to renegotiate before starting, though. Not having signed the offer yet makes things easier, though if she had signed then all they'd have to do is scrap it and send her a new letter to sign. The curiosity is that she said the vacancy was posted for a -7, although maybe it doesn't matter for the non-competitive pay grades?

By the way, it's definitely true about the recruitment incentives. I had a bonus and moving expenses paid for an -11 job, but now I am being told that band 4/13-14 offers aren't coming with moving expenses, much less bonuses.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 19, 2011

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Thanks for all of the responses! When I got word from my supervisor that they wanted to offer me the position, she said everyone starts at GS-7 Step 1 but that HR would be more helpful with the pay side of things. However the job posting itself says salary is from $38,790 to $50,431. Does this mean HR is authorized to pay up to $50,431 (step 10)? For what it's worth, GS9 Step 1 starts at $47,448. The job is a 2 year contract, so whether I'm on G7 or G9 isn't too important to me, I just want to get the most competitive salary.

I don't start until September, so back pay shouldn't be an issue since I'll have my masters by then. I was going off of this document when I thought Masters for GS-9:http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/Standards/group-stds/gs-prof.asp

Thanks again :).

amethystbliss fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 1, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

amethystbliss posted:

Thanks for all of the responses! When I got word from my supervisor that they wanted to offer me the position, she said everyone starts at GS-7 Step 1 but that HR would be more helpful with the pay side of things. However the job posting itself says salary is from $38,790 to $50,431. Does this mean HR is authorized to pay up to $50,431 (step 10)? For what it's worth, GS9 Step 1 starts at $47,448. The job is a 2 year contract, so whether I'm on G7 or G9 isn't too important to me, I just want to get the most competitive salary.
Sorry, I somehow missed that. If it's a GS-7 position and you applied for a GS-7 position, they're not going to make you a GS-9 no matter how qualified for it you are. You may be able to negotiate a higher step, but not many commands are doing that right now. If you stay in this job 18 years, you will start as GS-7 step 1 and will automatically progress to GS-7 step 10.

Now, if you had previously been an actual GS-9 and took a GS-7 position because of BRAC or you moved or whatever, they would give you save-pay for a certain amount of time, where you're still a GS-7 step 1, but making the same pay you were making before. This is N/A for new hires, though, sorry.

grover fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 19, 2011

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

amethystbliss posted:

If the posting advertises up to $50,431 and that's exactly 7.10 on the pay scale, I would push for a higher step but not get my hopes up. I'd argue the case that you're accepting a position at a grade lower than what you're qualified for. I can't provide proper advice for how much more you should be asking for, though; maybe someone with experience in this job series or with the VA can chime in for cultural insight into what you can expect or what's reasonable. It probably varies. No matter what though, I would call and make a case.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CherryCola posted:

Thank Jeebus.

Congrats. The training courses are going to be the worst 4 mos. of your life, although I guess it's trimmed down now, big time. Hopefully you don't get one of the night classes. Persevere and meet people, and realize it will be much better once you get out.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Hed posted:

Congrats. The training courses are going to be the worst 4 mos. of your life, although I guess it's trimmed down now, big time. Hopefully you don't get one of the night classes. Persevere and meet people, and realize it will be much better once you get out.

Is it weird that I'm actually excited for training? I'm looking forward to learning about this stuff...and actually getting a paycheck I can survive on. Speaking of, does insurance and everything kick in while I'm training, or do I have to wait until I start my actual job?

Aaaaalso, do any of you guys have apartment recommendations? I know it will be a while before I can actually get a place still, but I'd like to start looking around at different buildings.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

CherryCola posted:

Aaaaalso, do any of you guys have apartment recommendations? I know it will be a while before I can actually get a place still, but I'd like to start looking around at different buildings.

I'll send you a PM in a minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

CherryCola posted:

Now that's a bigger different question. :P Also maybe post in the DC thread in the Your City Sucks forum, but it totally depends on where you want to live in relation to work, how much you want to pay, whether you prefer nightlife (and metro access) or not and whether you'll pay a premium for it, etc. I guess since you're BRAC'ing out, you might not want to live in hipper (and pricier) places like the District or Arlington anyway, but still.