Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Macrame_God posted:

. . .but there is no way I can, in good [conscience], recommend the film Salo to anyone.

As Post-It notes around the Criterion offices during the restoration of the film aptly pointed out:

"It's just chocolate pudding."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

postmodifier posted:

As Post-It notes around the Criterion offices during the restoration of the film aptly pointed out:

"It's just chocolate pudding."

The crazy thing about Salo is that the violence, feces and various other effects in the film (the fake penises that the soldiers wear during the film's notorious final scene for example) are all rather fake looking. It kind of reminds me of the stuff Troma uses in their pictures. Still, it's effective because of how everything is filmed and presented. At least that's how I remember it. I'm not exactly eager to go back and check.

And thanks for correcting my :eng99:. I'm normally better about those sorts of things.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

A Jonathan Demme picture is coming to Criterion.

Any ideas?

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

It's Something Wild, they all but confirmed it a while ago.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The Lucas posted:

It's Something Wild, they all but confirmed it a while ago.

I was hoping for Caged Heat :(

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Antichrist is some mad, beautiful poo poo.

(Chaos Reigns!)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Smoove J posted:

Antichrist is some mad, beautiful poo poo.

(Chaos Reigns!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax4NDN8dqo4

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Yeesh. I don't know if I could watch Antichrist with an audience like that (or maybe that's the only kind of audience you can watch a movie like that with.)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

A mild Criterion sale over at Amazon.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Criterion.com is liquidating the old, now-OOP print of Solaris for 65% off...

quote:

We will be announcing new Blu-ray and DVD editions of Solaris as part of our May lineup. We now know that the black-and-white scenes in the film were meant to be tinted blue, and we have updated the feature accordingly. The supplements from the original DVD will not change.

The old DVD edition is officially out of print. However, we are offering it at a 65% discount from the SRP at criterion.com (use the promotion code RHEYA at checkout). We have a limited supply and will fulfill orders as soon as we can.

http://www.criterion.com/films/553-...erm=Buy+the+DVD

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Criterion's selling their Solaris 65% off DVD in preparation for the DVD/Blu in May:

Criterion posted:

We will be announcing new Blu-ray and DVD editions of Solaris as part of our May lineup. We now know that the black-and-white scenes in the film were meant to be tinted blue, and we have updated the feature accordingly. The supplements from the original DVD will not change.

The old DVD edition is officially out of print. However, we are offering it at a 65% discount from the SRP at criterion.com (use the promotion code RHEYA at checkout). We have a limited supply and will fulfill orders as soon as we can.

edit: crap

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

Fantastic! Solaris was one of my most anticipated Blus from Criterion this year. Can't wait until May.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

YES

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

A mild Criterion sale over at Amazon.

Thanks -- just picked up Black Narcissus.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

May's titles have been announced!

Diabolique - Henri-Georges Clouzot
Solaris - Andrei Tarkovsky
Smiles of a Summer Night - Ingmar Bergman
Fat Girl - Catherine Breillat
Something Wild - Jonathan Demme
Pale Flower - Masahiro Shinoda
The Great Dictator - Charlie Chaplin

All on blu.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Finally. Fat Girl on blu-ray. Thank god.

With a bit more seriousness, I'm happy about Great Dictator, and I always liked that image they picked for the cover.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The new cover for Diabolique is great.

Solaris ... not so much.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Nroo posted:

Solaris ... not so much.

Seriously, what the hell is up with that cover?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

zenintrude posted:

Seriously, what the hell is up with that cover?

Link?

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

morestuff posted:

Link?

http://www.criterion.com/films/553-solaris

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Nroo posted:

The new cover for Diabolique is great.

Solaris ... not so much.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't really mind the original cover to Solaris. I'm not so sure about the new one though. I'm glad they didn't change Fear and Loathing though. I really like that cover.

Also, I'm really on the fence about the cover for The Great Dictator. All that red is really offensive to the eyes.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Macrame_God posted:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't really mind the original cover to Solaris.

It's a hundred times better than the new design.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Info

Rereleases:

#35 - Diabolique (May 17)

New digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
Selected-scene commentary by French-film scholar Kelley Conway
New video interview with Serge Bromberg, codirector of Henri-Georges Clouzot’s Inferno
New video interview with horror film expert Kim Newman
New and improved English subtitle translation
PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Terrence Rafferty

#164 - Solaris (May 24)

High-definition digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
Audio essay by Andrei Tarkovsky scholars Vida Johnson and Graham Petrie, coauthors of The Films of Andrei Tarkovsky: A Visual Fugue
Nine deleted and alternate scenes
Video interviews with actress Natalya Bondarchuk, cinematographer Vadim Yusov, art director Mikhail Romadin, and composer Eduard Artemyev
Excerpt from a documentary about Stanislaw Lem, the author of the film’s source novel
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Phillip Lopate and an appreciation by director Akira Kurosawa

#237 - Smiles Of A Summer Night (May 3)

Digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
Video introduction to the film by director Ingmar Bergman
Video conversation between Bergman scholar Peter Cowie and writer Jörn Donner, executive producer of Fanny and Alexander
Original theatrical trailer
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by theater and film critic John Simon and a 1961 review by film critic Pauline Kael

#259 - Fat Girl (May 3)

High-definition digital restoration (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
Behind-the-scenes footage from the making of Fat Girl
Two interviews with director Catherine Breillat, one conducted the night after the film’s world premiere at the 2001 Berlin Film Festival, the other a look back at the film’s production and alternate ending
French and U.S. theatrical trailers
Plus: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Ginette Vincendeau, a 2001 interview with Breillat, and a piece by Breillat on the title

New:

#563 - Something Wild (May 10)

New, restored digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Tak Fujimoto and approved by director Jonathan Demme, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
New video interviews with Demme and writer E. Max Frye
PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic David Thompson

#564 - Pale Flower (May 17)

New high-definition digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
New video interview with director Masahiro Shinoda
Selected-scene audio commentary by film scholar Peter Grilli, coproducer of Music for the Movies: Toru Takemitsu
PLUS: A new essay by film critic Chuck Stephens

#565 - The Great Dictator (May 24)

New high-definition digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
New audio commentary by Charlie Chaplin historians Dan Kamin and Hooman Mehran
The Tramp and the Dictator (2001), a documentary narrated by filmmaker Kenneth Branagh and featuring interviews with author Ray Bradbury, director Sidney Lumet, historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr., screenwriter Budd Schulberg, and a host of others
Two new visual essays, by Chaplin archivist Cecilia Cenciarelli and Chaplin biographer Jeffrey Vance
On-set, color production footage shot by Chaplin’s half-brother, Sydney
Deleted scene from Chaplin’s 1919 film Sunnyside
Theatrical trailer
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Michael Wood and a 1940 article by Chaplin on the film

Man, that cover looks like something out of a Fake Criterion thread.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I don't think the new Solaris cover is bad, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting something better. I kind of like that the ocean is on there, though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Man, that cover looks like something out of a Fake Criterion thread.

Haha, this caught me by surprise. They apparently just licensed Olly Moss' poster from his "Eight Films In Black and Red" series, which have been floating around a while.

Edit: Maybe it's because I haven't seen the film, but I actually like the new Solaris cover better than the old one. It always struck me as very bland.

I don't really care for the new Diabolique, though.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 14, 2011

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
I like the Solaris cover. It's generally in keeping with the aesthetic of the film, and reminds me of his Polaroids. Except for the glassy reflection. The abstract visuals (and all the others, really) in Solaris are so beautiful because they're so organic. The reflection puts a hamper on the warmth of the rest of the cover. With the faded portrait of a woman, though, the real question becomes: what are they going to do now when they release Mirror? (pleeeaaase)

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Aorist posted:

the real question becomes: what are they going to do now when they release Mirror? (pleeeaaase)

Pretty sure Kino's got those rights, but their bluray covers have looked pretty decent so far, and they're definitely far better looking than most of their DVDs.

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

Pretty good month. I'm definitely in for Solaris, Diabolique and maybe The Great Dictator; latter likely after Modern Times, though.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Pretty sure Kino's got those rights, but their bluray covers have looked pretty decent so far, and they're definitely far better looking than most of their DVDs.

That's good to hear. I just remember the color on their DVD being really haphazard, here's hoping they can manage a better restoration for the Bluray.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Fat Girl was once described to me by a relative as a movie so horrifying that she wished to scrub her brain of the whole experience. However, my library AND Netflix copies were too scratched to play, and it fell off my radar.

Now? Hooray! Time to subject myself to traumatic cinema in HD!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Info

Rereleases:

#35 - Diabolique (May 17)

New digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
Selected-scene commentary by French-film scholar Kelley Conway
New video interview with Serge Bromberg, codirector of Henri-Georges Clouzot’s Inferno
New video interview with horror film expert Kim Newman
PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Terrence Rafferty

Oh man, this is the best release since Hausu

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Diabolique is the best cover ever. I'm picking that up along with The Great Dictator, but Solaris interests me.

I'm thinking of making custom covers for the Chaplin films, though. There's some great poster artwork out there. I know they probably don't want to repeat Image's use of poster art or MK2's use of production photos, but check out these...

This would have been PERFECT for Modern Times:

and this would work for The Great Dictator:

Although, I love the concept for Criterion's cover, even if it needs more work. Someone created that on Deviant Art a while ago and they only changed the font.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Oh, man. I thought i saw Diabolique on that Bravo 100 scariest movies list they play every year. It scared the hell out of me and I hope that's the same one.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Boy I sure hope they start using Ollie Moss more. I can't wait for the inevitable Criterion release of Convoy.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The new cover is way better than that Great Dictator poster. Somehow Chaplin never had much good art for his movies. I like but don't love their Modern Times cover. I'm infatuated with their Great Dictator one and think it's really cool that they decided to use a sorta random internet piece for it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I was actually expecting all of the Chaplin releases to have the stock Keystone-era photo with different clip art for each film. That's really what irritated me about Modern Times, since it shows they're not that savvy on pre-1930s film. It's more awkward considering it's the same photo on Flicker Alley's Keystone box set...

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I don't know it is about him, but there's like a silent majority of lovely Chaplin posters and covers.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Olly Moss cover is cute enough for the internet and I'm sure it's been printed as a hipster shirt at some point but man, it sure makes for a lovely Criterion cover.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
especially since the criterion logo and the dvd case erase its only reason for being interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
When asked whether Olly Moss had been inspired by this image:

Olly Moss posted:

Yeah, that comparison has been made and I agree it is similar, but I hadn't seen that ad when I made this poster.

I came up with the idea when I was playing around with an idea for a threadless tee based on disguises, and realised that if you used a comb as a mustache you could be mistaken for either Hitler or Chaplain. Then I remembered Chaplain had played a Hitler-like character in The Great Dictator and this reversible poster seemed like a pretty logical extension of the image.

What drives me nuts is that it's not really reversible. Right-side up, it looks like Chaplin puking into his own hat, and if you turn it upside-down, you get...um...

...Chaplin with a goiter?