Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Soothing Vapors posted:

we literally have homeless people posting ITT, this is like the least of our problems

go back to your yacht club

Although the general public may think lawyers and doctors are one and the same in an income sense, the truth is that having a reasonable barrier to entry to a profession and some form of control over the cost and delivery of the initial education sure makes for a pretty drat big difference in lifestyle.

But yeah if you want solidarity, I'll trade you some malpractice representation for an unlimited Darvocet scrip. Otherwise beat it, Poindexter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

Defleshed posted:

Although the general public may think lawyers and doctors are one and the same in an income sense, the truth is that having a reasonable barrier to entry to a profession and some form of control over the cost and delivery of the initial education sure makes for a pretty drat big difference in lifestyle.

But yeah if you want solidarity, I'll trade you some malpractice representation for an unlimited Darvocet scrip. Otherwise beat it, Poindexter

Darvocet? I thought you couldn't get that in the US anymore.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nero posted:

So I need to pass the Missouri bar this summer. If I fail I get eaten by bears. Do I need to take a bar review course?

Do you have a job that you will not get or lose if you fail?
Then I would suggest paying.
If no, whatevs.

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER
Had an interview scheduled with a big-lawl firm, and then had said interview rescinded when my undergraduate transcript rolled in. Starting to have glimpses of no jobs, die alone and it's still my 1L year.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

drat Phantom posted:

Had an interview scheduled with a big-lawl firm, and then had said interview rescinded when my undergraduate transcript rolled in. Starting to have glimpses of no jobs, die alone and it's still my 1L year.

I didn't think that any firms cared about undergrad grades except for Cravath and a few other super high-end firms.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Patent and other technical firms will generally ask for them, I think.

jake1357
Jul 10, 2001

drat Phantom posted:

What was on your transcript that caused that???

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Independent Study: Hitler Rulz! B-

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
I dunno, a good grade in "Hitler Rulz" may be an even worse liability.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Omerta posted:

I didn't think that any firms cared about undergrad grades except for Cravath and a few other super high-end firms.

They care when you're a 1L.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

Independent Study: Hitler Rulz! B-

Creative Writing: Law & Order Scripts A+

Note: this is a real class.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BigHead posted:

Creative Writing: Law & Order Scripts A+

Note: this is a real class.

I think I watched enough SVU when I was unemployed to teach that class actually

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

nm posted:

Do you have a job that you will not get or lose if you fail?
Then I would suggest paying.
If no, whatevs.

But what about the bears

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Ref posted:

Greetings from the Med School thread, how are you guys taking the news that Obama's plan fix the economy is to end subsidized Stafford loans for grad/professional school? Assuming that the interest rate is staying the same, just the full balance will start accruing interest day 1.

So, when would this take effect? Isn't the Stafford loan interest locked in until 2013?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think I watched enough SVU when I was unemployed to teach that class actually

I literally failed out of college due to Law & Order repeats being on TNT and A&E back to back from 1 pm until 10 pm my freshman year of college.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
a goon posted this:

news article posted:

Sarah Palin is attempting to trademark her name ahead of a possible 2012 presidential run.

The former Alaska governor and 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate filed paperwork with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in November to register the trademark.

a goon posted:

This is on the edge of something I predicted years ago: Using copyright law to control information. If Sarah Palin is copyrighted and she murderers someone, and you report it, you are sued for copyright infringement for using her name.

If a war takes place, but the exclusive rights to cover it has been sold to Fox News, you won't be able to report on it unless you want to break copyright laws.

This is only the beginning, but it's one of the most important developments in our collective history and you should pay attention to it.

just gonna leave this here for a lil

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Petey posted:

Goons Being Goons

1st Amendment Trumps Copyright law.

Next.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Petey posted:

a goon posted this:

just gonna leave this here for a lil

gonna patent weed and prevent people from smoking weed

give me all your weeds

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

JudicialRestraints posted:

Next.

no it doesn't otherwise copyright as a whole would be unconstitutional

you dumb goon

they're wrong of course because there's no work to be copyrighted nor authorship but welp

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

no it doesn't otherwise copyright as a whole would be unconstitutional

you dumb goon

they're wrong of course because there's no work to be copyrighted nor authorship but welp

I know absolutely nothing about copyright but I do know that we have a first amendment right to talk about public figures and it trumps everything. So I'm still right.

Give me one of your jobs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nero posted:

But what about the bears
If you get eaten by bears they can't exactly collect your student loan debt can they?

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

nm posted:

If you get eaten by bears they can't exactly collect your student loan debt can they?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Announcing my beating the poo poo out of you with a baseball bat service.
Only $500! Discharge your student debt, or I will repeat the service until they are.*

* nm beating the poo poo out of you with a baseball bat service does not promise that you will qualify for discharged under death or disability, only that your debts will be discharged.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

As the resident Alaskan, I guarantee twice the lbs of bears of nm for half the price. Those pansy Californian bears have forgotten how to eat toddlers how can they eat people who are dumb enough to accrue student debt like toddlers? Why be eaten by Californian bears when you can be eaten by REAL bears?! Guaranteed maiming with a shockingly high probability of total AND permanent disability!

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 15, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BigHead posted:

As the resident Alaskan, I guarantee twice the lbs of bears of nm for half the price. Those pansy Californian bears have forgotten how to eat toddlers how can they eat people who are dumb enough to accrue student debt like toddlers? Why be eaten by Californian bears when you can be eaten by REAL bears?! Guaranteed maiming with a shockingly high probability of total AND permanent disability!
Cheaper to fly to California.
Also, you'll enjoy your beating in a Mediterranean climate free of snow and bugs bigger than your face. Alaska cannot offer that.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

Cheaper to fly to California.
Also, you'll enjoy your beating in a Mediterranean climate free of snow and bugs bigger than your face. Alaska cannot offer that.

He offers fair free-market terms.

Also all of our bugs except the mosquito are teeny-tiny. You won't get totally OR permanently disabled by a Hellish spider and/or other terrifying bug of the abyss! Alaska is great!

Edit: For a limited time I've got half-price offerings for musk-ox trampling. Almost guaranteed death, with totally guaranteed non-permanent disability.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 15, 2011

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Bighead, what are your rates on traveling out to sea on an iceflow?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
With a polar bear? $250 per hour if I have my bow hunting gear. If the bear doesn't permanently and totally maim you, I can make it look like an accident.

Edit: if it's just me and you alone then I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about, hussy. :colbert:

BigHead fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 15, 2011

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

I know absolutely nothing about copyright but I do know that we have a first amendment right to talk about public figures and it trumps everything. So I'm still right.

The copyright statute contains first amendment considerations including fair use, limited duration, etc.

Glad I took these classes that allow me to comment on news stories more effectively.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I know gently caress-all about IP law. Isn't there a difference between trademark and copyright? If Sarah Palin trademarks her name, that's different than copyrighting it, right?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

entris posted:

I know gently caress-all about IP law. Isn't there a difference between trademark and copyright? If Sarah Palin trademarks her name, that's different than copyrighting it, right?

Yes. Copyright is for creative works such as music, books, movies, etc. It establishes who has the right to copy those works. Trademark is for the branding used in business such a naming and logos. It protects a mark used in trade.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Next.
"Statutes are the wild ravings of crazed legislators and don't mean jack poo poo."
- Awesome Federal PD

commish
Sep 17, 2009

entris posted:

Barely any difference.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The only reason I ask is because the two goon quotes above say:

1. Palin filed a trademark application.
2. Goon #2 goes on and on about copyright (wrongly, even I can tell that), which seems odd since we're talking about trademarks?

God IP is so boring even writing this post makes me sleepy.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

entris posted:

2. Goon #2 goes on and on about copyright (wrongly, even I can tell that), which seems odd since we're talking about trademarks?

Trademarks are a device of unfair competition law and require interstate commercial use. Copyrights are a device of IP law and do not require any use whatsoever beyond creation.

Generally speaking.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

TheBestDeception posted:

The copyright statute contains first amendment considerations including fair use, limited duration, etc.

Glad I took these classes that allow me to comment on news stories more effectively.

I can safely assume that one of the these exceptions covers it because the 1st Amendment basically gives carte blanche to those reporting on the (true) activities of public figures.

Most statutes incorporate some sort of formulation of the Sullivan v. New York style stuff. I'm not gonna know the exact names without taking a class on it, but I can say that there will be an exception that covers the example listed above (Palin sues for infringement when someone in the press uses her name while reporting upon a unfavorable case). If there is not such a statutory/common law exception yet created, the first person to try and sue on such grounds would find themselves creating it.

Ergo: I don't give a poo poo.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
But can we still have Sarah Palin Sucks bumper stickers?

commish
Sep 17, 2009

entris posted:

"I know nothing about IP."

"IP is so boring."

Hmmmm....

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Petey posted:

Sarah Palin trademark stuff

I hope my Santorum-2012.com domain is still okay. And the 50+ other Republican presidential campaign domain names I bought a while ago to try to make an honest bottom feeder buck. Just kidding, I'm fine.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commish
Sep 17, 2009

I can safely assume that one of the these exceptions covers it because the 1st Amendment basically gives carte blanche to those reporting on the (true) activities of public figures.

Most statutes incorporate some sort of formulation of the Sullivan v. New York style stuff. I'm not gonna know the exact names without taking a class on it, but I can say that there will be an exception that covers the example listed above (Palin sues for infringement when someone in the press uses her name while reporting upon a unfavorable case). If there is not such a statutory/common law exception yet created, the first person to try and sue on such grounds would find themselves creating it.

Ergo: I don't give a poo poo.

Does Coke sue if someone uses the name "Coke" in a news article? It's not trademark infringement if you use someone's trademark in a newspaper article or news report.