Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

darsh5000 posted:

I'm trying to think of a single english word that means 'to split in two'. It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't seem to remember it.

Bisect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darsh5000
Dec 10, 2005

#2Terms2Chainz

Fire In The Disco posted:

Bisect?

No, I'm thinking of a verb that doesn't involve another subject, I mean you wouldn't say "The Tree Bisected" for example.

e: the word i was thinking of was 'bifurcate'

darsh5000 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 14, 2011

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

darsh5000 posted:

I'm trying to think of a single english word that means 'to split in two'. It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't seem to remember it.

e: i was thinking of 'bifurcate'

"Bifurcate" and not simply "bisect"?

Also, throwing in with the response that your GF should have gone herself if she wanted another cupcake. Perhaps a unanimous internet reaction will convince her. But you might want to edit out the parts about Aunt Flo if you plan on showing her.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 19, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

DVD Drive posted:

Am I the only one constantly noticing the year 1888 being mentioned?

Why, are you a neonazi/ work with neonazis or something?

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

DVD Drive posted:

Am I the only one constantly noticing the year 1888 being mentioned?

Mentioned where?

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
Whoa, it's been mentioned in the last three posts!!!!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
So, today I got what I think was a scam email saying that I'd won a green card in the green card lottery. I want this so badly to be true, and it's weirding me out because it was sent to my more official email address- the one I only use for really important stuff like job applications- and it contains my full name and my home phone number, which I never give out to anyone. What's more the address that they told me to send money to is the actual address of the US embassy. But I know it can't be real because people from my country aren't eligible for Diversity Visas and it's peppered with a few grammatical errors.

No one has ever tried to scam me before through email, and it's worried me that they've managed to get hold of my good email address (it was also let through gmail's spam filter) and home phone number. Is there some kind of authority in the UK I can report this to so that other people don't get tricked into parting with $880?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

change my name posted:

No he is a Romani Opera fan. Or a fan of historic snowfalls. (Wikipedia is fun.)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

change my name posted:

You thinking of the white supremacist signifier "14/88" or did something significant to Nazis happen in the year 1888?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
This may be too specific for the general AT/Small questions, but I'll give it a shot.

I just purchased a Dynex LCD TV (Dynex being Best Buy's low end house-make). I plugged an old set of computer speakers into the speaker out jack using a RCA to 1/8" adapter cable.

I assume, like my old TV, it would mute the volume to the built in speakers and control the output to the external speakers instead, however this does not seem to be the case.

When I adjust the volume, it makes both the internal AND external speakers get louder.

I've checked all the settings and don't see anything that says "Mute internal Speakers" or anything.

Any advice?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

This may be too specific for the general AT/Small questions, but I'll give it a shot.

I just purchased a Dynex LCD TV (Dynex being Best Buy's low end house-make). I plugged an old set of computer speakers into the speaker out jack using a RCA to 1/8" adapter cable.

I assume, like my old TV, it would mute the volume to the built in speakers and control the output to the external speakers instead, however this does not seem to be the case.

When I adjust the volume, it makes both the internal AND external speakers get louder.

I've checked all the settings and don't see anything that says "Mute internal Speakers" or anything.

Any advice?

Does it have a Headphone Jack?

Also Video Quick Questions thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389301

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

A Violence Gang posted:

You thinking of the white supremacist signifier "14/88" or did something significant to Nazis happen in the year 1888?

well Hitler was conceived in 1888. :a2m:

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

kapalama posted:

Does it have a Headphone Jack?

Also Video Quick Questions thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389301

Yep it does. I'll give that a whirl. And thanks for the link.

Edit: Hm. That seems to have worked, for what I need! Thanks, kapalama!

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 14, 2011

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Pogo the Clown posted:

If you don't have luck elsewhere, you can always sign up for sale notifications and coupon deals from allposters.com on this page. They have pretty regular deals, and if my memory serves me correctly then they have 50% off events a couple of times per year.

Thanks. I actually saw one that was perfect that was on sale---marked down from $65 to $3!!

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
So, I'm trying to figure out the ratio of light absorbed (/reflected/whatever) by a surface from a 100W light bulb 1 meter away, and sun light.

Sun = 3.846 x 10^26 lm
1 AU = 149.6 x 10^9
100W light bulb = 1750 lm

So, 1750 / (3.846 x 10^26 / ((149.6 x 10^9)^2))
= 1750 / (3.846 x 10^26 / (2.238016 x 10^22))
= 1750 / (1.718486 x 10^4)
= ~1/10?

This seem right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Seems in the right ballpark. IIRC from my intro astrophysics class, the light output is of the sun ~1:1 compared to a 60W bulb some inches away from the target. Assuming you want total radiation and don't care about frequency distribution.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

So, I'm trying to figure out the ratio of light absorbed (/reflected/whatever) by a surface from a 100W light bulb 1 meter away, and sun light.

Sun = 3.846 x 10^26 lm
1 AU = 149.6 x 10^9
100W light bulb = 1750 lm

So, 1750 / (3.846 x 10^26 / ((149.6 x 10^9)^2))
= 1750 / (3.846 x 10^26 / (2.238016 x 10^22))
= 1750 / (1.718486 x 10^4)
= ~1/10?

This seem right?

Light is scattered/absorbed by the atmosphere, and you have assumed the point on the earth you are at is on a flat surface perpendicular to the sun. If you are looking for accuracy, use incidental sunlight at your location (which is findable at least for a given latitude), rather than trying to figure out how much light reaches you from the sun. But even that might well be inaccurate because it might average over seasons, or over periods including night. Wattage of the bulb is next to immaterial because lumens is what you need, not power consumed. The math based on the output of the sun is almost immaterial to the problem since almost all of the variables are based on the atmosphere and location on Earth, not on the total output of an emitter 93 million miles away. The only time to consider total solar output is with a Dyson sphere, because every point is at a fixed flat perpendicular surface. (Even then, the sun also emits asymmetrically because of its own magnetic field, atmsophere, rotation, etc.).

Put a blot of oil on a sheet of paper and do it that way, if you can. The blot disappears when equal light comes from both sides. The light bulb is easy to figure out the math on, if you trust the labeled lumen rating.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

It doesn't really need to be super-accurate, basically I'm trying to tweak the lighting tools for a game and part of that is getting an idea of what the base value for the sun should be, and it needs to be on the same scale as the rest of the lights. Incident angle stuff is applied after that, so it's essentially the value you'd get if the sun was directly overhead on a clear day on the equator at, say, sea level.

Looks like half makes it through the atmosphere, so 5:1? Or might there be other factors?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

A Violence Gang posted:

Huh I thought it was 18 88 for adolph hitler, not two letter just for adolph

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Is there a place where one can go to explicate song lyrics or read explications of song lyrics? Like, a lyrics site with original content?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

It doesn't really need to be super-accurate, basically I'm trying to tweak the lighting tools for a game and part of that is getting an idea of what the base value for the sun should be, and it needs to be on the same scale as the rest of the lights. Incident angle stuff is applied after that, so it's essentially the value you'd get if the sun was directly overhead on a clear day on the equator at, say, sea level.

Looks like half makes it through the atmosphere, so 5:1? Or might there be other factors?

That article is about full spectrum EM, not visible light. You will do much better by finding the values which are kept for incident sunlight, which will be found by looking up stats for solar arrays. (Again, probably averaged over seasons and 24 hours period). But even then that is not visible light. The stats for solar arrays will usually be gathered for the frequency that the solar collector needs, not visible light. Or in the case of that article, total potential incident energy after factoring in for albedo.

You are trying to reinvent the wheel, and you will end up with a badly wrong answer.

Ask a photographer/filmmaker to use his lightmeter. Then you actually know, no math needed. (The math will be wrong, anyway). The film forum here at SA probably has twenty people who measure light values daily for actual sunlight in twenty different places for a living.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Raimundus posted:

Is there a place where one can go to explicate song lyrics or read explications of song lyrics? Like, a lyrics site with original content?

Who the hell uses "explicate" instead of "explain"?? That's like saying "utilize" instead of "use."

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

hooah posted:

Who the hell uses "explicate" instead of "explain"?? That's like saying "utilize" instead of "use."

The word "explain" didn't seem appropriate for what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for pseudo-authoritative twats telling me what a song's lyrics mean.

Or maybe I just use the words differently, I don't know. You understood what I mean.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Raimundus posted:

The word "explain" didn't seem appropriate for what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for pseudo-authoritative twats telling me what a song's lyrics mean.

Or maybe I just use the words differently, I don't know. You understood what I mean.

I actually don't, because I had to look up explicate, since I'd never heard of it before, despite being fairly well-read (at least more so than the general population).

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Raimundus posted:

http://www.songmeanings.net/

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

That was my first hit on Google, but for some reason I was convinced that it was just like all of the other spammy lyric sites. Thanks, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kapalama posted:

That article is about full spectrum EM, not visible light. You will do much better by finding the values which are kept for incident sunlight, which will be found by looking up stats for solar arrays. (Again, probably averaged over seasons and 24 hours period). But even then that is not visible light. The stats for solar arrays will usually be gathered for the frequency that the solar collector needs, not visible light. Or in the case of that article, total potential incident energy after factoring in for albedo.

You are trying to reinvent the wheel, and you will end up with a badly wrong answer.

Ask a photographer/filmmaker to use his lightmeter. Then you actually know, no math needed. (The math will be wrong, anyway). The film forum here at SA probably has twenty people who measure light values daily for actual sunlight in twenty different places for a living.

I think his estimate will be fine after some tweaking in the engine, especially with the ability to compare to existing light sources.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

How dumb would it be to superglue the handle back onto a small saucepan

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
A dude hit my car earlier this week. He was uninsured and I don't have full coverage. My car runs, but it's old/lovely so the damage is worth about as much as the car.

He's saying he's gonna pay me the money my mechanic estimated. That's terribly unlikely because this guy's a flake, but if he does, am I legally obligated to spend the money on my car? I was hospitalized/temporarily crippled for a few months and the medical bills feel more pressing than what largely amounts to cosmetic damage on my old car.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Huntersoninski posted:

A dude hit my car earlier this week. He was uninsured and I don't have full coverage. My car runs, but it's old/lovely so the damage is worth about as much as the car.

He's saying he's gonna pay me the money my mechanic estimated. That's terribly unlikely because this guy's a flake, but if he does, am I legally obligated to spend the money on my car? I was hospitalized/temporarily crippled for a few months and the medical bills feel more pressing than what largely amounts to cosmetic damage on my old car.

If the police where not involved I do not think you are legally obliged to do anything.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
If you have $1000 damage to a $2000 car and they give you $1000 they've put you financially back to where you were again by you having the money. They (insurance companies and this guy hopefully) don't and shouldn't have any concern about what you spend it on.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Wagonburner posted:

If you have $1000 damage to a $2000 car and they give you $1000 they've put you financially back to where you were again by you having the money. They (insurance companies and this guy hopefully) don't and shouldn't have any concern about what you spend it on.

This. The only reason where I could see it making a difference is if there is a lien on the car, because since the bank has a stake in the car they would want it to be in a condition where you could sell it, or they could sell it if repo took place.

The only reason I know is because when my motorcycle got knocked over I got a sizeable chunk of money with very little damage done, my bank caught wind and contacted me to let me know that money needs to be used to bring the motorcycle back to original condition. That may just be because it was a small credit union.

exhaust heat
Dec 23, 2010

by Lowtax
do you guys recommend i stab myself in the temple

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

exhaust heat posted:

do you guys recommend i stab myself in the temple

One can dream :allears:

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
No. I had a cousin who stabbed himself in the temple and it turned out horribly for him.

Edit: Checked out your post history, and I think it uniquely qualifies you for stabbing yourself in the temple. Go for it, man.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

wigtrade.cc posted:

How dumb would it be to superglue the handle back onto a small saucepan
That's pretty much what superglue is for, so not dumb at all?

Wagonburner posted:

Thing to remember is that insurance claims are about compensating for loss, not undoing damage.

If he flakes out then you can potentially take him to small claims over it, and if that fails, check your own coverage and see if you have underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage on your policy, which is specifically designed for this type of poo poo.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

OneEightHundred posted:

If he flakes out then you can potentially take him to small claims over it, and if that fails, check your own coverage and see if you have underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage on your policy, which is specifically designed for this type of poo poo.

Uninsured motorist coverage might vary depending on the states laws but I know here if you bought uninsured motorist it only covers medical for you and your passengers if the at fault guy has no ins. If the original asker's (OA?) hospital stay was related to that wreck that might be something to look into.

But any kind of insurance coverage you might have that would cover some loss should always be your first option before court. Why take the time to go to court when you've been paying people all along who'll do it for you if it comes to that? Your own ins company will typically pay out quick (if you have comprehensive, UM or something else that covers some scum uninsured guy's gently caress up) and then try to get reimbursed by him themselves through court or arbitration or some such.

Also if the hospital stay was related to the wreck and you don't have uninsured motorist, me, I'd wait for the guys money (for the car) if he gives it, then after that call the late-night-tv/bus-stop-bench-advertising PI attorney to sue him into a tent-city hobo-camp for medical. As long as he works on contingency or maybe call like a reputable attorney if you have a line on one of them or something.

(been in a dozen or more of wrecks in close to a million miles, a couple my fault, mostly not, and a couple of the not were uninsured people, never any attorneys or court though.)

and unrelated stupid small question that the guy I quoted's name made me think of: What's going to happen to 1-800 numbers with US telecom consumers trending towards not having to pay long-distance anymore? I had long distance on my land line back in like 99 before I gave up on paying for an unused land line and unsed LD. Lots of people don't have landlines, all cell phones have free LD and now my "free" cox land line has free long distance. I'd imagine anyone younger than my parents (who also pay for both cable internet and AOL) doesn't have a LD bill. Will companies stick with it for easier-to-remember #s?

edit again: no matter how free calling the other side of the country or world gets to be it's still not worth all the "Switch to ____ long distance" commercials I had to sit through as a teen (some of you guys have never even heard of candace bergen) or the 10-10-xxx ones that made me see pure red hate in my twenties.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 15, 2011

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

OneEightHundred posted:

That's pretty much what superglue is for, so not dumb at all?

I think he's wondering whether superglue will react badly at higher heats and what the upper limit to it working is/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

Wagonburner posted:

edit again: no matter how free calling the other side of the country or world gets to be it's still not worth all the "Switch to ____ long distance" commercials I had to sit through as a teen (some of you guys have never even heard of candace bergen) or the 10-10-xxx ones that made me see pure red hate in my twenties.

Holy poo poo, I had completely forgotten about this extremely annoying chapter of our lives. Remember when long distance companies would automatically and without your consent just switch you over to them, and it was on the consumer to keep an eye out for it and switch back? They got away with it because most people didn't care or bother. I think the practice was called slamming or something.