Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Silver Brushes posted:

Considering EU authors' love of taking other famous stories and either shoehorning, ripping off, or flat-out copy-pasting them into Star Wars, is there a scrap of the EU that is basically Seven Samurai but with Jedi?

One of the old Marvel Star Wars comic was a pastiche of 7 Samurai and had Han get a bunch of space-outlaws together to defend a space-village from space-bandits.

One of the outlaws was a giant rabbit.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sithalchemist
Dec 31, 2007
Don't cross the streams...the results could be bad

Slantedfloors posted:

One of the outlaws was a giant rabbit.

IIRC this rabbit has made multiple appearances in the EU. I can't remember his name for the life of me, otherwise I would link to a wookiepedia page. I do remember it was some sort of running gag cameo appearance thing for a while in the early days of Star Wars comics. I could be wrong, though.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Sithalchemist posted:

IIRC this rabbit has made multiple appearances in the EU. I can't remember his name for the life of me, otherwise I would link to a wookiepedia page. I do remember it was some sort of running gag cameo appearance thing for a while in the early days of Star Wars comics. I could be wrong, though.

Did you mean Jaxxon? I don't remember the story--just the first rabbit guy to come to mind.

...Did you know Wookieepedia has an entry on space carrots?

Sithalchemist
Dec 31, 2007
Don't cross the streams...the results could be bad
Indeed! That was the illusive lagomorph that came to my mind. Man, his wookiepedia page is longer than it has any right to be...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Chairman Capone posted:

It was The Hidden Fortress, not Seven Samurai.

There's a rumor that they were considering buying the rights to The Hidden Fortress because Lucas originally wanted to remake it. Star Wars was pretty much an adaptation of it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ZeeToo posted:

Did you mean Jaxxon? I don't remember the story--just the first rabbit guy to come to mind.

If they ever make a new Rogue Squadron it should be just like star fox except you'd have that rabbit, the goatman (no not kirkj), and the horse. The ewok on stilts can be the carrier pilot. It'll be awesome.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Silver Brushes posted:

Considering EU authors' love of taking other famous stories and either shoehorning, ripping off, or flat-out copy-pasting them into Star Wars, is there a scrap of the EU that is basically Seven Samurai but with Jedi?

Sure there is. The Clone Wars CGI-series has an episode that's basically a homage (even with dedication IIRC): S02E17 "Bounty Hunters". Anakin Skywalker makes one of his famous save landings on Felucia and he, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka help four Bounty Hunters to defend a farming village against Hondo and his merry bunch of pirates in exchange for a passage on the Bounty Hunters' ship.

Edit: Even found a very detailed synopsis: http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/guide/episode217.html

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 15, 2011

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Silver Brushes posted:

The second story arc of the old Marvel comics (#7-#10) has Han Solo accepting a mission to help defend some farmers from a gang of bandits. The misfits he recruits include a farmboy ("The Starkiller Kid") and his sarcastic robot, a lady gunslinger, an old delusional man who may or may not have been a Jedi Knight once ("Don-Wan Kihotay"), and Jaxxon, a six-foot-tall green carnivorous rabbit. The fact that the villain is modeled after cartoonist Sergio Aragones and is called "Serji-X Arrogantus" doesn't help to make the story less odd.

Then recently, Episode 2x17 of The Clone Wars has Obi-Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka stranded on Felucia where they team up with a handful of bounty hunters to defend a peasant village from some raiding pirates. This episode even has a "dedicated to Akira Kurosawa" text at the beginning.

EDIT: Beaten thoroughly. Didn't see there was another page of posts. Oh well...

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 15, 2011

fire place
Oct 27, 2005
how are you
If they were trying to hide Luke from the Emperor, why didn't they bother changing his last name?

I know he's on a planet with little Empire interference, but lets say Anakin had some scouts out looking for a possible child, since he probably would know the due date for the child and that it was very soon from last he saw her. If one happened to be on Tattooine and just happened to ask him his name that's all it would have took.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

fire place posted:

If they were trying to hide Luke from the Emperor, why didn't they bother changing his last name?

I know he's on a planet with little Empire interference, but lets say Anakin had some scouts out looking for a possible child, since he probably would know the due date for the child and that it was very soon from last he saw her. If one happened to be on Tattooine and just happened to ask him his name that's all it would have took.

I still think a lot of these issues could have been fixed by the revelation that 'Skywalker' was a somewhat prolific name in the Old Republic, that many non-blood related individuals with the name might exist out there as a twist of fate. My personal theory was that the name was something more about the origins of a person than anything else. Skywalker could have been a name given to humans whose origins could be traced back to a colonizing ship called the Skywalker, a name given to humans kidnapped from starships and sold into slavery, a term used to describe a people whose ancestors were well-known as pilots, etc.

In fact, in the case of that latter, it could have added something if the name 'Skywalker' in the Old Republic carried with it a sort of history honor of it's own in the PT. Anakin is introduced not as Anakin Skywalker, but something Anakin of the Skywalker, or The Skywalker Anakin, with his full name being something else. The Skywalker part just tells people where he's from, not anything really about his family. poo poo goes down, perhaps he loses his honor or something, the Skywalker clan strips him of place in their ranks, and he can no longer use the clan title as part of his name.

But even I admit this is a little contrived sounding for a prequel fix.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This probably isn't the case in the EU and such, but:

It would seem reasonable that Vader could have known about Luke with trivial effort assuming he ever looked into Tattooine. I mean, they're with his goddamn relatives, even though I expect they don't know that Darth Vader is the burnt up remnants of ol' Anny.

However, Luke is a farm punk kid in a backwater world. I imagine the local Imperial garrison had a filed report in which anything involving the Skywalker kid was kicked up to the highest levels; I would not be surprised in fact if the fact that Vader was in the area led to Stormtroopers being ordered, incidentally, to go and purge that farm so Vader can't train up his boy.

Obi-Wan presumably dodged notice by being Obi-Wan, and it is also possible that Vader did not associate this blond catamite running around with Obi-wan's charter pilot with his own child. I imagine Vader is later thrilled to find out that not only was that Luke, but he's alive and has received some basic Force training. The entire Bespin routine was an effort to have plausible deniability on scooping up Luke; Vader himself more or less outlines his plan, and presumably his battlegroup would have handily stayed out of the way until Luke was a fully trained and operational Dark Jedi, at which point they'd go stage a decapitating coup.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I think a lot of fans rationalize Tattooine would be a place Anakin would never go near ever again. Partly due to it being a backwater nowhere, partly because of the bad memories, partly because he has zero reason to as he's busy chasing down Jedi and there was never one ON Tattooine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Luke was what, 20 by the time of ANH? There just weren't all that many Jedi left, I imagine. Vader might never have investigated but it would take about ten seconds to find out when he did.

Mister Roboto posted:

I think a lot of fans rationalize Tattooine would be a place Anakin would never go near ever again. Partly due to it being a backwater nowhere, partly because of the bad memories, partly because he has zero reason to as he's busy chasing down Jedi and there was never one ON Tattooine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nessus fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 15, 2011

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
There's a lot of planets out there with a lot of billion-numbered populations...anyways, it's likely to be a "the last place he'd ever look" idea.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Nessus posted:

"My old master was called Obi-wan Kenobi, not Ben Kenobi. Do not bother me with such worthless reports."

*Force-strangles a lowly officer*

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It was so drat obvious that Vader went "No way they'd be that dumb".

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Actually I'm gonna go with Anakin probably didn't like Cliegg (or Owen) much, "letting" his mother die and such. That's why he stole C-3PO in the first place as a NEVER COMING BACK TO THIS HELLHOLE, BITCHES flipoff.

Edit--Huh, apparently Wookiepedia suggests this may actually be right.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 15, 2011

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
That situation looks like he's straight up odering them to be killed, rather than just letting it happen. He's one angsty guy, that Vader. Mother issues.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

http://superpunch.blogspot.com/2011...t=Google+Reader
So apparently Darth Revan was supposed to make a cameo in a recent Clone Wars cartoon and it got cut. Thought it was mildly interesting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mister Roboto posted:

Actually I'm gonna go with Anakin probably didn't like Cliegg (or Owen) much, "letting" his mother die and such. That's why he stole C-3PO in the first place as a NEVER COMING BACK TO THIS HELLHOLE, BITCHES flipoff.

Edit--Huh, apparently Wookiepedia suggests this may actually be right.

"Yeah, gently caress those guys! gently caress them in the face with lasers!"

It cracks me up seeing over the top unsubtle art like this.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ZeeToo posted:

They also have an article on Monopoly. It was clearly intended as a throwaway pop culture reference gag but the 'spergers take everything entirely too seriously.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
wait, they stuck a clone of Bucky o' Hare into star wars?

I probably shouldn't be surprised.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Nessus posted:

This probably isn't the case in the EU and such, but:

It would seem reasonable that Vader could have known about Luke with trivial effort assuming he ever looked into Tattooine. I mean, they're with his goddamn relatives, even though I expect they don't know that Darth Vader is the burnt up remnants of ol' Anny.

However, Luke is a farm punk kid in a backwater world. I imagine the local Imperial garrison had a filed report in which anything involving the Skywalker kid was kicked up to the highest levels; I would not be surprised in fact if the fact that Vader was in the area led to Stormtroopers being ordered, incidentally, to go and purge that farm so Vader can't train up his boy.

Obi-Wan presumably dodged notice by being Obi-Wan, and it is also possible that Vader did not associate this blond catamite running around with Obi-wan's charter pilot with his own child. I imagine Vader is later thrilled to find out that not only was that Luke, but he's alive and has received some basic Force training. The entire Bespin routine was an effort to have plausible deniability on scooping up Luke; Vader himself more or less outlines his plan, and presumably his battlegroup would have handily stayed out of the way until Luke was a fully trained and operational Dark Jedi, at which point they'd go stage a decapitating coup.

Vader didn't know his child (let alone children) was (were) still alive. When he last saw Padme, she was still pregnant and not giving birth. As far as he knows, she died, along with any children she was carrying. There would be no reason to be searching for anyone with the last name Skywalker, because he would have no reason to believe his son or daughter lived. There was a comic where Vader learned the person who destroyed the first Death Star was named Skywalker, and he freaked the hell out. (Someone has posted a shot of this in one of these threads, but I have no idea where that is now.)

And there might be more people with the last name Skywalker. My last name is very rare, because an ancestor of mine changed it slightly when he came to America. But through the magic of Facebook, I've found a different family I've never met with the same last name as me. I mean, it's only like 4 other people in the entire country, but because of that I wouldn't rule out there being another few Skywalkers in the entire galaxy. That coupled with the fact that Vader wasn't looking fits with him never finding Luke.

Obi-Wan...well, that's a bit more difficult. Vader drat well should have been looking for Obi-Wan. I guess you could go with the whole "needle in a galaxy of haystacks" thing, but clearly Obi-Wan was using his real last name, and people in the area heard of him...but I guess maybe a crazy old hermit who keeps to himself doesn't get much notice of the Imperial Stormtroopers? Eh, it's all I've got.

Luke, though, makes sense to me.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 15, 2011

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I shouldn't have been surprised about the Seven Samurai thing. One of these days I'll get around to watching all of the Clone Wars.

I've been watching the OT over the past week or so and thought it would be hilarious to see all of the scenes that discuss "prequel matters" intercut with what they are actually describing in the PT. Has anyone come across anything like that?

"Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough"

[Kenobi picks lightsaber up from ground as Anakin burns alive]

"...and he was a good friend."

[Obi-Wan and Anakin having an awkward fight in front of Padme at the start of AotC]

"There you will find Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me"

[picture of Liam Neeson]

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

"DO A BARREL ROLL!"

This is Rule 1138 in action folks. Holy. poo poo.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Silver Brushes posted:

I shouldn't have been surprised about the Seven Samurai thing. One of these days I'll get around to watching all of the Clone Wars.

I've been watching the OT over the past week or so and thought it would be hilarious to see all of the scenes that discuss "prequel matters" intercut with what they are actually describing in the PT. Has anyone come across anything like that?

"Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough"

[Kenobi picks lightsaber up from ground as Anakin burns alive]

"...and he was a good friend."

[Obi-Wan and Anakin having an awkward fight in front of Padme at the start of AotC]

"There you will find Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me"

[picture of Liam Neeson]

This would be quite funny. I'm sure we could cobble it together if it doesn't already exist.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
Yeah but there is nothing there that out right contradicts anything. The lightsaber thing maybe, but that is exactly what you would say to a kid you're trying to manipulate into trying to clean up your big mistake.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Space Butler posted:

I just got a rush of nostalgia and I'm not sure why. What's this from?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

KaosFactor posted:

Yeah but there is nothing there that out right contradicts anything. The lightsaber thing maybe, but that is exactly what you would say to a kid you're trying to manipulate into trying to clean up your big mistake.

Yeah Obi Wan is a lying jerk so basically anything he says can't really be held up to accountability with "canon".

TheLoquid posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucky_O%27Hare_and_the_Toad_Wars

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

TheLoquid posted:

That's Bucky O'Hare, teaching children about the glory of a race war.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 15, 2011

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

KaosFactor posted:

Yeah, and The Clone Wars is doing a good job of doing what the prequels should have done, showing us how close Anakin and Obi-Wan were. And Yoda, as we see from the class of Younglings, was almost certainly a Jedi Master who taught Obi-Wan at one point.

Only seen 3 DVDs wortth so far, but drat do I love The Clone Wars. Suppose I should see the CG movie for completion's sake and to see the setup.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

That's Bucky O'Hare, teaching children about the glory of a race war.

haha holy poo poo

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, and The Clone Wars is doing a good job of doing what the prequels should have done, showing us how close Anakin and Obi-Wan were. And Yoda, as we see from the class of Younglings, was almost certainly a Jedi Master who taught Obi-Wan at one point.

Only seen 3 DVDs wortth so far, but drat do I love The Clone Wars. Suppose I should see the CG movie for completion's sake and to see the setup.

I too am a fan of The Clone Wars. The writing is far better than the PT, largely because it's made by die-hard OT fanboys, and also, Lucas is a bit more hands-off.

The Clone Wars movie is... I wouldn't call it "good", but there are sequences in it that I quite enjoyed (e.g. urban combat, the assault of the temple on Teth), but there's plenty of crap there too (wise-cracking droids, Jabba's gay uncle). It's worth seeing because it introduces Ahsoka, and there's several episodes in the series that lead into and are a direct result of the events of the movie.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

happy cabbage posted:

Ventress was sent to a prison planet for a shitload of time, escaped, and shows up in the legacy series, where all of this was explained.

You're thinking of the wrong white bald chick, that was Aurra Sing. Who has also been in the Clone Wars CG series.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Obi-Wan...well, that's a bit more difficult. Vader drat well should have been looking for Obi-Wan. I guess you could go with the whole "needle in a galaxy of haystacks" thing, but clearly Obi-Wan was using his real last name, and people in the area heard of him...but I guess maybe a crazy old hermit who keeps to himself doesn't get much notice of the Imperial Stormtroopers? Eh, it's all I've got.

Luke, though, makes sense to me.
Obi-wan already knew how to use the Force like it was that Domination power in vampire LARPs, I would not be surprised if he'd cored out half the brain of every single stormtrooper on Tatooine. Nobody mentions the guy up in the hills on official reports, nobody knows he's there.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Teek posted:

You're thinking of the wrong white bald chick, that was Aurra Sing. Who has also been in the Clone Wars CG series.

and who was played up as someone who was going to be a BIG DEAL in Episode II after her two second cameo in TPM. Wonder whatever became of that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

and who was played up as someone who was going to be a BIG DEAL in Episode II after her two second cameo in TPM. Wonder whatever became of that.
I believe it was fans who did that, not Lucasfilm.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Casimir Radon posted:

I believe it was fans who did that, not Lucasfilm.

Could have sworn I saw toys of her at the time of release

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Lucasfilm marketed the hell out of her, mostly in comics. The action figure came out in the POTJ line (which began shortly after the Ep1 toy line ended), but there was only the one (until several years later). They also played up her role in Ep2 for a while, but that was promptly forgotten.

There's essentially 2 hypotheses for why she didn't appear in Ep2:

1. She would have filled the role of Zam Wesell, which involved killing her off, and she was too popular with the fanbase to do that. (I kinda doubt this, since Lucas also "killed off" Boba Fett, and he's returned from the dead more times than your average X-Man.)

2. Michonne Bourriague (the actress model who played Aurra Sing) was busted (allegedly) for cocaine possession in Switzerland around the time principle photography began and was unavailable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Could have sworn I saw toys of her at the time of release
I'm sure there were, but they'll make toys of anything.