Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

*Commando_Elite* posted:

What are people paying for these, according to Edmunds it seems like I could get one for around $23k, but the Subaru dealer I spoke with today seemed really desperate for a sale and said that "his boss" was making big deals like dropping $5k off a Forester.

2.5is move off the lot very well, but, if you're patient you should be able to get around invoice for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
2011 WRX wheels are 17x8 +53. Any chance those with the 235/45/17's would fit an 07 WRX wagon without rolling?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

2011 WRX wheels are 17x8 +53. Any chance those with the 235/45/17's would fit an 07 WRX wagon without rolling?
I'd say no; the GRM article I linked before had to roll their 06's fenders with 235s on a +48. +53 offset should clear all the mechanicals but may hit the body under sharp positive camber.

You'd have to do some quick test fitting and maybe a test run or two to see if it would actually clear your fenders; the wagons do have a ton of suspension travel in the back.

Or, you could just roll the fenders anyway. It's not terribly expensive or time-consuming to do so.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'd actually be more worried about the tire hitting the strut. I have 225s on a 17x7 +55 and there is hardly any clearance to the strut. Plenty of room in the fenders though.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

I'm really interested in a Subaru as my next vehicle. I'm mainly looking at impreza hatchbacks from 2003-2005.

This one caught my eye: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/SUBARU/IMPREZA/KELOWNA/British+Columbia/5_9336722_CT2004130104858514/, but I'm a bit leery about it since it looks kind of riced out. Do you think it's likely this car has been pounded on? What's maintenance like on a WRX of that age? That's about 100,000 miles so it's been around a bit. The fun side of me really wants this car, but being a high mileage turbo car, I feel like i'd be in for maintenance quite a bit.

My next best option is a 2004 TS wagon. It's got less kilometers but costs a couple thousand more, and is not turbo. This is the car the practical side of my wants to get.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I bought my WRX with 103k miles and the only problem was the improperly changed timing belt. That's really the only thing that's due at 100k aside from regular fluids, etc.

I personally wouldn't get a modified car, and that yellow doesn't look good in person (IMO).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I am looking into an Outback 2.5i and seem to have trouble finding manual transmissions. I'd really like to get it in a 6sp manual, but the choices seem horribly limited.

Are dealerships typically reticent to order a vehicle?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What makes you think it's riced out? In terms of exterior and interior that looks like a pretty normal Spec R1 to me.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

I am looking into an Outback 2.5i and seem to have trouble finding manual transmissions. I'd really like to get it in a 6sp manual, but the choices seem horribly limited.

Are dealerships typically reticent to order a vehicle?

They'll do what they can to get you in something they already have on the lot but they'll typically prefer to order something instead of let you walk.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Blaise posted:

I personally wouldn't get a modified car, and that yellow doesn't look good in person (IMO).

You take that back right now! Sonic Yellow is a fantastic color. :colbert:

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Jamal, towards the spring/summer I'm wanting to go ahead and drop a front mount into my car in prep for a protune.
Currently: 2010 STI SE
3 inch TBE, with one cat.
AEM CAI
Cobb AP AEMstage 2 map.
I dyno'd it last week, making 277AWHP and 317AWTQ. Was running pretty rich from what the guy said.

Along with a FMIC, should I toss on a set of UEL headers, up pipe, and EWG?? I don't plan on upgrading the turbo for YEARS, aka when the warranty expires.

Will probably get tuned at Mach V in NOVA.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Lando posted:

Jamal, towards the spring/summer I'm wanting to go ahead and drop a front mount into my car in prep for a protune.
Currently: 2010 STI SE
3 inch TBE, with one cat.
AEM CAI
Cobb AP AEMstage 2 map.
I dyno'd it last week, making 277AWHP and 317AWTQ. Was running pretty rich from what the guy said.

Along with a FMIC, should I toss on a set of UEL headers, up pipe, and EWG?? I don't plan on upgrading the turbo for YEARS, aka when the warranty expires.

Will probably get tuned at Mach V in NOVA.

If you don't plan on upgrading the turbo, why are you thinking of running a FMIC, headers, or an EWG up pipe?

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What makes you think it's riced out? In terms of exterior and interior that looks like a pretty normal Spec R1 to me.

I didn't think that large tailpipe was stock. I'm not sure about the metal pedals and short shifter... Is that what they look like stock?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

canadianclassic posted:

I didn't think that large tailpipe was stock. I'm not sure about the metal pedals and short shifter... Is that what they look like stock?

That muffler isn't stock, nor is the shifter knob. The pedals are stock though. Wish they had pictures of the engine compartment.

It's a really really clean looking bugeye though. I highly doubt that it has Heated Mirrors though...

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 14, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Amandyke posted:

I highly doubt that it has Heated Mirrors though...
It's Canadian - all the Canadian WRXes have fold-down rear seats (even in the sedan!), heated mirrors, heated wipers and a block heater.

I didn't notice the melon launcher at first - that's definitely not stock, and I'd hope they tuned for it if they did any other exhaust work.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's Canadian - all the Canadian WRXes have fold-down rear seats (even in the sedan!), heated mirrors, heated wipers and a block heater.

I didn't notice the melon launcher at first - that's definitely not stock, and I'd hope they tuned for it if they did any other exhaust work.

What, really? drat wish I had heated mirrors.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I forgot to mention that all of the WRXes and STIs also have heated seats in Canada (although for the 04 STI, only the driver side is heated).

Sorry to rub that one in. If it's any consolation you can't get a leather option on any Impreza in Canada (prior to the 2009 STI, I think). Maybe you can special order the heated mirror kit from the dealer? I think the US market dealers offer it as the "winter package."

What I really want is the headlight washer feature from the European HID-equipped models.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
You can do the heated mirrors yourself. It's a huge pain in the rear end though, and I failed when I tried to do it a few weeks back.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163006

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The All Weather Package didn't show up until MY2004 in the US. However, the OBS had it as far back as 2002 (if not earlier) and the switch cutouts for the heated seats are in the center console. So, you can actually get the heating elements and do a DYI install for the seats with the OBS switches.

The sedan didn't get fold down rear seats until MY2008 in the US. I find it odd that they eliminated the structural member in the Canadian vehicles to allow the fold down seats. I wonder how much rigidity was affected.

My '11 has heated seats, mirrors and wipers :). The All Weather Package is now standard on the Premium models.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 14, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The All-Weather Package owns. My '00 Outback had it, and I knew when I got my WRX I had to get one that had it too.

Those heated wipers are off the chain.

Amandyke posted:

That muffler isn't stock, nor is the shifter knob. The pedals are stock though. Wish they had pictures of the engine compartment.

It's a really really clean looking bugeye though. I highly doubt that it has Heated Mirrors though...

The shifter knob looks like the factory accessory Momo knob.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

What is the general opinion of Outback v. Forester? I like them both. Outback seems a little more finished and car-like with better MPG, but the Forester seems pretty capable and a bit more spartan.

I like the pricepoint of the Forester a little better. Any big things I should look out for?

Do the EPA ratings seem to be pretty accurate? My Tacoma gets much better mileage than the rating--not sure if that's true of all cars.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

LeeMajors posted:

What is the general opinion of Outback v. Forester? I like them both. Outback seems a little more finished and car-like with better MPG, but the Forester seems pretty capable and a bit more spartan.

I like the pricepoint of the Forester a little better. Any big things I should look out for?

Do the EPA ratings seem to be pretty accurate? My Tacoma gets much better mileage than the rating--not sure if that's true of all cars.

OB 3.6, # 18 mpg city / 25 mpg hwy
I'm getting ~20mpg doing a lot of city driving (like an rear end in a top hat) to/from/around San Francisco. I'd say the new EPA ratings are way more accurate than the old 1-number ratings.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 14, 2011

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
My 2010 WRX is rated 18/25 and I consistently get about 18.5-20mpg. I mostly do city driving, and like the guy above me, I drive like an rear end in a top hat quite often.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I get 20.4 mpg according to the trip odo calculator in my '11.

Always 20.4. I can drive like an rear end in a top hat or I can drive like a granny and I get 20.4mpg every.single.time.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Oh the trip calculator on my '10 is always at least 1 to 1.5mpg optimistic. It NEVER matches what my calculator says when I fill up my fuel tank. It usually tells me 19.8-21.4 MPG.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
The MPG calc on my LGT (08 5-spd) is usually close, but can be a couple tenths off at the very least - especially if driving habits/type shift towards the end of a tank.

Having said that though, my commute is now mostly highway. The complicating factors are lots of hills and weather. In the middle of winter, mileage drops 3-5 mpg easily. During summer, I'll see 27-29 mpg. Right now I'm lucky to get low 24.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I see about 24 mpg in my Stage 1 '11 WRX with 99% light highway cruising, and my old 2.5RS was barely any better. MPG is not the strong suit of these cars.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
I'm getting around 22-24mpg on a 75% highway commute. Gotta love the noise that BOV makes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Not perfect (lots of receipts in my glovebox to enter), but my average economy is 23mpg. I barely ever use fifth gear since it's a little awkward to get it in (I actually revmatch to go 4 -> 5 because the revs drop too fast when I put in the clutch to upshift) but I'd be surprised if it makes that huge of a difference considering 4th is already overdriven in my car.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

ssjonizuka posted:

Having said that though, my commute is now mostly highway. The complicating factors are lots of hills and weather. In the middle of winter, mileage drops 3-5 mpg easily. During summer, I'll see 27-29 mpg. Right now I'm lucky to get low 24.

I'm a pretty docile driver. My Tacoma was rated 19/22 and I regularly avg. 24-25. I live in the Southeast on the coastal plain (flat as gently caress) and its pretty warm most of the year.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
here's what happens when your lovely silicone turbo inlet slips off:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

here's what happens when your lovely silicone turbo inlet slips off:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

That looks like a wisco piston...

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"

WRX Owners posted:

23-25 mpg

Impressive. I keep trying to bump my around town average up in my 2010 but I'm stuck at 13/20, usually worse.

It's possible I have no idea how to drive, it's my first manual transmission car with more than 90hp.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Hmmm, I seem to get 8.5l/100km, which if I convert to moon language is better than economy quoted. How on earth do you guys do worse?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Baseline dyno, then the wagon goes stage two today/tomorrow. I'm so excited!

You guys don't want to see the dyno slips before and after do you?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cat Terrist posted:

Hmmm, I seem to get 8.5l/100km, which if I convert to moon language is better than economy quoted. How on earth do you guys do worse?

I'm going to go with oxygenated gas, usually by using ethanol.

I got as high as 28mpg on my '02 early it in its life. In recent years, however, I've been averaging about 22mpg. I don't think it's a matter of the car getting older either, I'm pretty sure it's the fuel getting worse.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

toplitzin posted:

I do! I just ordered my AEM wideband, will probably put the car on the dyno at some point once the tune is all set.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'm getting a consistent 24mpg, probably a 70/30 mix of highway/stop and go. Still under 1000 miles and therefore under 4000rpm 99% of the time though.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

LeeMajors posted:

I'm a pretty docile driver. My Tacoma was rated 19/22 and I regularly avg. 24-25. I live in the Southeast on the coastal plain (flat as gently caress) and its pretty warm most of the year.

I recognize I do fairly well given the conditions - especially with how cold it was this morning and how big the car is.

In comparison though, the other car I just picked up, is averaging 34 mpg on the cheap stuff, instead of the aforementioned 24 mpg on premium. I grew up around hondas that sipped gas. And at 30+ cents a gallon difference, including different sized tanks - I've gone from paying nearly $50 a fill up to $30-$35 a fill up. Once a week, that adds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

toplitzin posted:

Very much so, since I don't trust anyone in the Miami area to do anything right.