Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vertigus posted:

I started listening to WTF because of Marc Maron's cred, his Conan appearance, etc.

It's god drat unbearable. It's just a pile of this guy's dirty laundry until he gets to the interview.
He is seriously not funny at all. I find it hard to believe he was the most common guest for Conan unless he's easily available when someone drops out.

Out of all the comedy podcasts I've heard the only one I actually find funny is Doug Benson's, Nerdist is really interesting with some guests but he talks about himself and standup all the time. I've heard others but nothing worth hearing every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

He is seriously not funny at all. I find it hard to believe he was the most common guest for Conan unless he's easily available when someone drops out.

Out of all the comedy podcasts I've heard the only one I actually find funny is Doug Benson's, Nerdist is really interesting with some guests but he talks about himself and standup all the time. I've heard others but nothing worth hearing every week.

I feel the same way you do. Other than DLM, the favourites in this thread, Marc Maron, WTF, and the other stream of consciousness stuff just doesn't do it for me at all.

That being said, I like Who Charted and How Did This Get Made, and I learned about them from DLM. Also there isn't enough love for The Flop House.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

^^^^
I'll tell Dan, the guy who runs the Flop House you feel that way. It will make him happy. Here's a video from the time they did it live. http://www.youtube.com/user/dkirk78#p/u/9/8ykv0V4EMQ8 Also check out Dan's video series 9AM Meeting there. It's how he snuck in through the backdoor to the writers guild!

Throatwarbler posted:

Just listened now. Is there a glitch in the last ~2min? Mine seems to cut off and start at the begining.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :emo: That appears to be caused by too many people downloading the episode at once as far as I can tell. The file reports as completely downloaded on your end and just restarts when the actual data stopped downloading. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade to a VPS or something. At least that was Dreamhosts suggestion. Soooo annoying... If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. loureads at gmails or If you have PMs then please contact me that way so we don't poo poo up the comedy thread.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 14, 2011

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Really? Recently he's been branching out a lot, I felt. Getting people he didn't really know and were more at the fringes of the comedy scene: Rollins, Gallagher, Tobolowski, Smith.
Ben Stiller, Carlos Mencia, Dane Cook, Rob Cordry, Bobby Lee, Ira Glass...

Yeah that was a stupid criticism, especially considering he's a comedian so he's going to tend to interview, you know, comedians.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Ok, after listening to today's WTF I'm convinced Maron is reading this thread.

Mark, can you give a subtle signal if that's true? Slip in a 'goon' or a 'somethingawful' into your monologue?

(If I'm right, that's some pretty good psychological detective work.)

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

j8910 posted:

Ok, after listening to today's WTF I'm convinced Maron is reading this thread.

Mark, can you give a subtle signal if that's true? Slip in a 'goon' or a 'somethingawful' into your monologue?

(If I'm right, that's some pretty good psychological detective work.)

What makes you think that?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

shotgunbadger posted:

I think that's what bugs me about him, I still think he's a stereotypical 'bitter old comedian' and all but like, he seems like a really NICE bitter old comedian, which makes it hard to really dislike him much. He seems like a guy I'd genuinely enjoy talking to, even if I dislike a lot of things he says or something.

A couple of people in this thread have labelled Maron as a "bitter old" comedian and I think you're missing the point, or perhaps the joke. Marc's mentioned several times that he considers himself in the line of neurotic Jewish comedians like Woody Allen and, as A Prized Mule mentioned, Richard Lewis. His monologues at the beginning aren't him complaining about his life, they're meant to be self-deprecating neurotic self-analysis and I'm certain that he's self-aware of how he comes off in these pieces. It's basically his act: he lays everything out there without a filter and then tries to find humor it in.

I get why people are turned off by it, why some people don't want to listen to it, but it's not just a guy bitching for ten minutes about his career.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Ben Stiller, Carlos Mencia, Dane Cook, Rob Cordry, Bobby Lee, Ira Glass...

Yeah that was a stupid criticism, especially considering he's a comedian so he's going to tend to interview, you know, comedians.

All of those people are in comedy in some way or another except Ira Glass. And when he branches out to someone like Ira Glass, the episode stands out. He should do more of that.

What's stupid about being sick of comedians? I don't understand why it's a given that the guests have to be mostly comedians. Most of them aren't that interesting.

Maron was on Air America. I don't necessarily want to hear him talk about politics all the time, but I bet he'd be great at interviewing politicians. You rarely hear really personal interviews with politicians, that would be interesting. Lots of other people would be interesting. There are lots of interesting people out there, that's all I'm saying.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

He seems to keep politics mostly to the side. I loved the Tobolowski interview. It was probably his least funny but he had some great stories.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

wafflesnsegways posted:

Maron was on Air America. I don't necessarily want to hear him talk about politics all the time, but I bet he'd be great at interviewing politicians. You rarely hear really personal interviews with politicians, that would be interesting. Lots of other people would be interesting. There are lots of interesting people out there, that's all I'm saying.

I think he'd have to have a separate studio and, at the very least, be aligned with some other podcasting network for that to happen. As it is he's doing the pre-show stuff in his kitchen and recording in the garage--it's easy to invite friends to do that, but with strangers it's a different matter. Also, for politicians to appear on the show he'd have to drop the "Pow! I just poo poo my pants" and Adam & Eve ads. And even the name of the show is somewhat problematic for a politician. If constituents and potential voters hear the word "gently caress" a dozen times before the candidate even gets introduced, that's a PR nightmare. Ditto for lots of other categories of guests.

I like the show as it is, though I don't listen to it expecting any humor. I've often thought it ought to be called "Tears of a Clown", since it explores the dark, depressing, offstage life of comics.

The great thing is that there are so many different podcasts out there, there's room for a lot of divergent tastes. I really wanted to like the Greg Proops podcast, since I've always enjoyed his work in the past. But I discovered that something about his voice and pronunciation really gets on my nerves in an hour-long format. I found "The Sound of Young America" to be kind of boring, so I started listening to it to go to sleep. But then for some reason I like "Jordan Jesse Go" even though it's the same host.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Just wanted to say again the new 'games' on CDR where Flockerman makes up the answers is the best idea.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

big business sloth posted:

Just wanted to say again the new 'games' on CDR where Flockerman makes up the answers is the best idea.

The latest True/False game had me convinced that the last question going to be something like, "During World War II, did millions of Jewish people get killed by the Nazis?".

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Fuckers had me convinced French Stewart died on auto-erotic asphyxiation before my brain grapes noodled that one out.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Bunk Rogers posted:

Fuckers had me convinced French Stewart died on auto-erotic asphyxiation before my brain grapes noodled that one out.

Yea I love how smoothly they went from reasonable sounding to 'he got his dick eaten by a wolf'.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
The new WTF with Tom Scharpling is so good! I had stopped listening to the Best Show when he had quit recently and it's cool to hear why he did it and where he's at with it now. Might have to resubscribe.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

NecronSchmecron posted:

Jimmy Pardo is pretty simple. It's Rickles-esque, poo poo on you a bit then improve a lot while working the crowd. The things might be old hat, like not getting something obvious, but he is fast, similar to Paul F. Tompkins in a way.

He's a bad fit on DLM, but I like his improv on NNF. Also, his track on the CDR cd ragging on the 16-year old kid is funny.

Also, new CDR Radio is great. Forgot completely about that teenage intern character.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
For the Maron haters (myself included), his second Carolla interview (the newer one from January) is really good in that both of them are nuts and somehow keep each other in check.

Eltoasto posted:

He seems to keep politics mostly to the side. I loved the Tobolowski interview. It was probably his least funny but he had some great stories.

One exception is that new Garafalo interview. It's interesting in the sense that you can hear all of their neuroses come out and realize "oh, that's why people so talented stop working". Good lord both of them need years of therapy.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

wafflesnsegways posted:

All of those people are in comedy in some way or another except Ira Glass. And when he branches out to someone like Ira Glass, the episode stands out. He should do more of that.

What's stupid about being sick of comedians? I don't understand why it's a given that the guests have to be mostly comedians. Most of them aren't that interesting.

OK here's what you said:

wafflesnsegways posted:

But his guests are all the same! They're all his buddies from the comedy scene 15-20 years ago. They all tell the same stories about comedy clubs. Talk to some writers or... anybody else really. Regular people, whatever. He's a good interviewer, but all the interviewees sound the same.
I named some more interviews who weren't that at all to point out how this criticism was stupid.

He had to go through some hoops to interview Ira Glass. He does a show out of his garage, why would you expect him to not interview people he knows and people who are in the same business? He's had writers on in the past as well, so that further invalidates your point. And it's already been covered but what politicians exactly are going to sit down on the show, even assuming he wants to talk about politics, which he's said he mostly stays out of now.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Kim Jong Il posted:

For the Maron haters (myself included), his second Carolla interview (the newer one from January) is really good in that both of them are nuts and somehow keep each other in check.

A similar thing happened on the recent SF Sketchfest episode, where nearly every guest he had on his panel called him out for being a neurotic weirdo.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Maarak posted:

A similar thing happened on the recent SF Sketchfest episode, where nearly every guest he had on his panel called him out for being a neurotic weirdo.

This ep is really great btw, especially Bobcat's portion.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Gooncasts.com update for goons that are podcasters
Setting up a hosted wiki is more complicated than I thought, so I found a free Wiki site called editthis.info and started a wiki for Gooncasts: http://gooncasts.wikidot.com/ which I can forward the domain to easily.

I've added the names of the podcasts that have been entered in the Gooncasts spreadsheet, but no other info so far. There's also a lot of podcasts mentioned ITT that aren't on the spreadsheet!

So the question is: Do any gooncasters have a problem with gooncasts.com forwarding to http://gooncasts.wikidot.com/ rather than being a bespoke website?

I just don't have the time and knowledge to build up something that looks slick (or even good). If someone has filled in info on the spreadsheet but doesn't add anything to the wiki, I'll fill out a basic page for the podcast but leave it at that.

Then down the road we can take donations for a banner ad. Hopefully everyone that goes on the wiki will donate! SA banner ads are $30/month

e: changed the URL for the wiki site to a better wiki provider

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 15, 2011

i mean cmon
May 25, 2005
The thing that's starting to get to me about Comedy podcasts is that it feels like there is a limited community of comedians interested in it and you end up hearing them on every podcast.

That's why podcasts with people who aren't semi-famous like The Complete Guide to Everything are so refreshing to me. I love their impromptu style and how they talk about something different every episode. Does anyone have suggestions for podcasts similar to the Complete Guide?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Stop Podcasting Yourself is kind of in that vain, although I would say it's more similar to Jordan Jesse Go!

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

i mean cmon posted:

The thing that's starting to get to me about Comedy podcasts is that it feels like there is a limited community of comedians interested in it and you end up hearing them on every podcast.

That's why podcasts with people who aren't semi-famous like The Complete Guide to Everything are so refreshing to me. I love their impromptu style and how they talk about something different every episode. Does anyone have suggestions for podcasts similar to the Complete Guide?

Stuff You Should Know I highly recommend, it's not a comedy podcast but the hosts are really funny. I've never heard The Complete Guide but it sounds similar, twice a week they talk about some random subject, either pop culture, history or some concept. Last weeks episodes were How The Black Death Worked and How Bartering Works.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

I can't decide if he's doing a "comedy character" or he really is such an awful person.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

^^^
I'm really surprised at all the Maron hate. He's a troubled comedy person. Most of them are. His angle is self-deprecation and complaining about his circumstance. Some people think thats funny. Some people like the Blue Collar Comedy Tour (HYUCK!). He's a needy guy in his late 40's whose been doing comedy for a long rear end time. His lovely attitude has probably hosed up his career and relationships to a considerable degree. Its not a put on. He's hosed. But, a lot of his fuckedness if relatable to a lot of people. I think people who hate the guy so much should just move on. Now if we want to talk some more about how much Tig Nataro derails CDR in a non-funny way I'm game.

i mean cmon posted:

I agree. It is annoying to hear the same people shuffle around the earwold world over and over. Its just a certain clique of comedians who all like to do poo poo together. Especially if they are shilling a book or whatever. They should put me on CDR. I'm hilarious. Somebody get to work on that for me...

That would be great to listen to. I'm sure of it. Right up until the point where they beat him to death.
VVVVVVVVVVV

King Lou fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 15, 2011

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Paul F. Tompkins could guest on a KKK white power podcast and I'd listen without complaint. :colbert:

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
"Hey! This feller's laughing at his own jokes. That's unprofessional. Git 'im, boys."

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

i mean cmon posted:

I just listened to the first episode of Mike And Tom Eat Snacks (with Michael Ian Black) which seems like it could be a winner in that vein, gotta listen to a couple more. I know what you mean though, I used to listen to Jordan Jesse Go and Stop Podcasting Yourself but they just seemed like inferior versions of TCGTE.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

SkellingTon Loc posted:

"Hey! This feller's laughing at his own jokes. That's unprofessional. Git 'im, boys."

"Yer premise is faulty for that character! *throws a bottle*"

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Any goons who have shows, or appear in shows, we have a wiki!

http://gooncasts.wikidot.com/

I'll add wiki pages for all the shows that have completed the Gooncast spreadsheet so far - any other shows will need to be added by the goons that run/appear on the show. To add a page or edit your info you'll need to sign up to Wikidot (it's free, natch, and takes a minute, then clicking a confirmation email link) and then go to the Join page of the wiki - new members have to be goons, this is just to prevent random trashing of the pages.

This is what your show's page might look like with a logo and episode links: http://gooncasts.wikidot.com/digital-porridge

Go for it!

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010
The F PLUS PODCAST CLEARING WAREHOUSE has put out ANOTHER PODCAST featuring SCIENCE and DRAGONS and SOME GUY TRYING TO MAKE A REAL FLUX CAPACITOR. Have a listen:

http://thefpl.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61:episode-35-without-adult-supervision&catid=1:podcasts

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

My friend told me that the Penny Arcade dudes do a podcast. I don't really know much about them, has anyone listened to it?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Fitzdog Radio is by far my favorite. The way Fitzsimmons directs the flow of a conversation is fascinating, and he's really funny.

t3ch3 posted:

A couple of people in this thread have labelled Maron as a "bitter old" comedian and I think you're missing the point, or perhaps the joke. Marc's mentioned several times that he considers himself in the line of neurotic Jewish comedians like Woody Allen and, as A Prized Mule mentioned, Richard Lewis. His monologues at the beginning aren't him complaining about his life, they're meant to be self-deprecating neurotic self-analysis and I'm certain that he's self-aware of how he comes off in these pieces. It's basically his act: he lays everything out there without a filter and then tries to find humor it in.

I get why people are turned off by it, why some people don't want to listen to it, but it's not just a guy bitching for ten minutes about his career.

That'd be fine if he was funny, like Woody Allen. You can do the self-deprecating neurotic Jew bit, but that's not funny on its own.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 16, 2011

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Vertigus posted:

Fitzdog Radio is by far my favorite. The way Fitzsimmons directs the flow of a conversation is fascinating, and he's really funny.

That'd be fine if he was funny, like Woody Allen. You can do the self-deprecating neurotic Jew bit, but that's not funny on its own.

Then stop listening to his podcast, I guess? I don't know why some of you guys are harping on Maron so much. There's plenty of us here that feel he's funny and enjoy his rants. I don't like Corolla, I don't listen to him, I don't complain about him here. It's that simple.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Vertigus posted:

He reminds me of Stern in how he can get people to open up and tell some of their dirty secrets to. One of the recent ones he had on a comeidan and had her talking about the one and only time she and her husband had tried anal while on vacation. The story was funny but I noticed how he was able to coax it out of her with very little effort after she let it slip.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Then stop listening to his podcast, I guess? I don't know why some of you guys are harping on Maron so much. There's plenty of us here that feel he's funny and enjoy his rants. I don't like Corolla, I don't listen to him, I don't complain about him here. It's that simple.

Oh gently caress off, if somebody can't share their opinion on an internet forum then what the hell is it for.

I don't hate Maron, I just think his podcast monologues are terrible and unfunny. His interviews are decent and he has some great guests, so I'll continue listening.

Geekslinger posted:

He reminds me of Stern in how he can get people to open up and tell some of their dirty secrets to. One of the recent ones he had on a comeidan and had her talking about the one and only time she and her husband had tried anal while on vacation. The story was funny but I noticed how he was able to coax it out of her with very little effort after she let it slip.

Yeah that's talent right there. I think he had a female writer on there and got her to talk about some deeply personal stuff, even though she clearly had an attitude like "Why am I saying this?"

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 16, 2011

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Vertigus posted:

Oh gently caress off, if somebody can't share their opinion on an internet forum then what the hell is it for.

I don't hate Maron, I just think his podcast monologues are terrible and unfunny. His interviews are decent and he has some great guests, so I'll continue listening.

It was just getting annoying because people had been complaining about that same thing for a good two pages.

Speaking of people we're not sure are funny or not: Is anyone still listening to "Glitter in the Garbage". I had like, 6, episodes built up. I listened to episode 5 today and although I laughed, I'm still not sure why I subscribe to the show...My favorite parts of the show are Droege's monologues and his talks with the guests at the end. But, my god, the improv sketches or SOOO hit or miss. I don't know if they do any editing on them, but they're in desperate need of it. There's some legitimately funny stuff in there, but it needs to be done "Superego" style, with only the best lines and moments getting in. Though on episode 5, there was a really funny sketch about a "Scary Sounds" cassette tape. It reminded me of Superego, in the best way. BTW, can you tell I'm excited for the return of Superego? MARCH 1ST, MARK YOUR FUCKIN' CALENDARS, Y'ALL!

Also, Mike Detective is such an enjoyable little nugget of comedy. The five or so minutes I spend listening to it a week is so fun.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
While it's not a podcast in the traditional sense, I thought people in this thread might be interested in a site I contribute to called Spankwagon. It was an Internet radio show run by a few guys in Las Vegas, but we've now gone HD video only and now have contributors in Austin and Seattle. We go around and cover stuff in our respective places (usually something with a nerd-centric focus), do beer and liquor reviews, and sometimes do random and funny poo poo. All of the latest stuff has been pre-recorded, but we're looking to do some live stuff every so often as well.

Right now we're looking to re-launch the site later this month that will have nothing but video, but content is still available. Our group out of Austin is planning to do another live test later this week... if people are interested I'll make sure to post a link here so people can join in.

Please have a look around at what is available and give suggestions... we're looking to get the Spankwagon name around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Speaking of people we're not sure are funny or not: Is anyone still listening to "Glitter in the Garbage"?

Yeah, not really. I don't hate it, I just found myself not really digging it. I think Earwolf might be trying to run itself thin in a hurry. I think "Who Charted" is pretty good and I enjoy it.

On the "Glitter" note I will again plug Gay Pimpin' with Jonny McGovern. It's consistently hilarious and although their posting can be erratic every episode is usually 2+ hours. If you're not down with gay/lez/trans culture you might not "get" it (it will still probably be funny to you, though), but if you are it's a must listen.

(No Homo, but a ton of gay friends who are also performers and artists).

A PRIZED MULE! fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 16, 2011

• Locked thread