Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Redline didn't get an actual theatrical release till October last year and it's still there. They're taking their time with it so it could be a while till they even give the DVD/BD a date, probably wont be till after theaters stop showing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
If we're lucky, the Nausicaa US Blu-ray will be as low as $15 after coupon. Amazon has it for $25 right now, and there's a $10 off coupon at http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/nausicaa-upgrade?cmp=dmov_dmr_nlc_upg_nausicaa but I have no clue how it works (my DVDs are on a shelf far away so I can't try it).

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

Whats the word with Redline's bluray release? Isn't the movie done since, like, 2009?

Who knows really, I was still seeing listed as showing in theaters as recently as November when I was in Kyoto last year.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I also saw Tales from Earthsea coming out (DVD) on the same date as Nausicaa. Is this the first official release of the movie, and do you think it will be long before a blu ray release follows the dvd or should I settle with the dvd?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Redline was supposed to come out February. But if that release date held, it would have been out even before the Japanese Blu-Ray release so that was obviously a problem. Manga has delayed the release to a Summer/Fall listing with no actual release date for it yet.

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!

Keyboard Kid posted:

If we're lucky, the Nausicaa US Blu-ray will be as low as $15 after coupon. Amazon has it for $25 right now, and there's a $10 off coupon at http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/nausicaa-upgrade?cmp=dmov_dmr_nlc_upg_nausicaa but I have no clue how it works (my DVDs are on a shelf far away so I can't try it).

Sadly does not apply with Amazon. It gives you a coupon which seems to be for in-store redemption. May work on the Disney store site but Nausicaa isn't up on there yet so there's no way of knowing.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

TheFluff posted:

more knk screenshots

The epilogue looks significantly better than the rest of the movies, but yeah this isn't worth buying.

So anyone heard of any reactions about the quality of the knk BDs from the Japan-side of things? You know since they take their nerd-rage so much more seriously over there.

This makes me worry about The Girl Who Leapt Thru Time BD releases.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't recall there being anything wrong with the Japanese releases of TGWLTT or Summer Wars.

I mean, the KnK BDs arguably look a little bit better than the DVDs, but it's just doubly disappointing when people were expecting demo material. And then triply disappointing when the price is factored in.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

DVDBeaver review of Summer Wars

Picture quality is pretty good, but not as amazing as it could be.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
He seemed to love the PQ though :confused:

quote:

Summer Wars has very little haze or blurriness produced as intentional effects to create the perception of motion. It is beautifully bright and smooth throughout. I suspect that in transferring digital animation to Blu-ray they have obtained the highest accuracy of the original appearance - and the animator's intent. Summer Wars is rife with vibrant eye-candy and looks quite marvelous. The animation style alternates between the, more passive, 'normal family existence and the, visually chaotic, Online 'virtual' one. Contrast is exceptional consistent and, frankly, there isn't a pixel out of place in this transfer. I was highly impressed.

Revolute
Aug 2, 2007

we've got our peace of mind
I got my copy last tuesday (always pre-order from Rightstuf) and it looks amazing. The menu is really nice and picture and sound are top notch. My only beef with it is that it uses horrible yellow subtitles that are hard to read because the backgrounds are always so bright. Good news is the dub is actually pretty good. The main character has the same voice as Dean Venture, which is awesome.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Let it be known that I am ultra-picky about my BRD releases. Even the best upscale I'll rag on about. I think the Ghibli, Pixar and Disney BRDs have spoiled the hell out of me and I expect everything to be razor sharp.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Summer Wars in terms of picture quality, it's just that to me it's very blurry and I can't tell if that was an artistic decision or a problem with the transfer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Blu-ray.com also loved the SW release. I pretty much feel anything with at least 4/5 on that site is probably just fine as far as PQ goes.

Looking like a must-buy to me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So the general opinion is the FLCL release coming out isn't worth having? I've wanted it since it aired on Adult Swim way back when and 25$ seems like a drat good deal. Is it just not as good as the quality could be or did it somehow get lovely?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Len posted:

So the general opinion is the FLCL release coming out isn't worth having? I've wanted it since it aired on Adult Swim way back when and 25$ seems like a drat good deal. Is it just not as good as the quality could be or did it somehow get lovely?

It's much worse than it should be, probably better than any DVD release you could get though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

AzraelNewtype posted:

It's much worse than it should be, probably better than any DVD release you could get though.

For $5 extra I'll go with the Bluray then. I'm just glad it's at an affordable price finally.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Len posted:

For $5 extra I'll go with the Bluray then. I'm just glad it's at an affordable price finally.

That's exactly how I feel. I saw some screens from earlier in this thread that didn't bother me. Maybe it will be horrible in motion, but at least I'll get to own it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Currently 3 episodes into the FLCL blu and I'm loving it. However, compared to when I watched it on Cartoon Network on an oldschool TV, anything would look sharp. At the very least, it doesn't "look like rear end" or whatever sinful appearance upscale is supposed to assume.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I figured it still looks better than any DVD you can get, it's a decent price, and at least the shelf life of blurays are much longer than DVDs, so why not?

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Space Fish posted:

Currently 3 episodes into the FLCL blu and I'm loving it. However, compared to when I watched it on Cartoon Network on an oldschool TV, anything would look sharp. At the very least, it doesn't "look like rear end" or whatever sinful appearance upscale is supposed to assume.

Is it out?
Rightstuf lists it as being released Feb 22.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

RightStuf either made an error or does favors for pre-orders, because the blu and keychain arrived yesterday.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Space Fish posted:

RightStuf either made an error or does favors for pre-orders, because the blu and keychain arrived yesterday.

Where'd you order from?

...what keychain?

And if the upscale is really, really bad (like some people say) wouldn't the better idea be to get the new DVD and have your player upscale it?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Skychrono posted:

Where'd you order from?

Space Fish posted:

:cmon:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Anime isn't streetdated like Videogames are. If Funimation (which released FLCL) sends Rightstuf the discs a week early, Rightstuf will ship it a week early. This is actually a pretty common occurrence and I've seen stuff ship even as far as a month ahead from its intended release date.

I'm sure the anime companies don't care because it's money in their pocket regardless.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I am going to be getting a PS3 tomorrow and wanted to ask: Is there a list of awesome anime movies/series to get on Blu-Ray? If not, are there you all would recommend getting?

I personally love Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki films and enjoyed Paprika, but are there any other Blu-Ray video/audio quality and overall quality anime Blu-Rays you all would recommend?

Thanks! :)

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.

OrangeGuy posted:

I am going to be getting a PS3 tomorrow and wanted to ask: Is there a list of awesome anime movies/series to get on Blu-Ray? If not, are there you all would recommend getting?

I personally love Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki films and enjoyed Paprika, but are there any other Blu-Ray video/audio quality and overall quality anime Blu-Rays you all would recommend?

Thanks! :)

Akira (100% wildly-enthuisastically recommended)
The Wings of Honneamise
Summer Wars
Tekkon Kinkreet
The Sky Crawlers
Sword of the Stranger
Escaflowne: The Movie
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (if you can find it)
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (only the first two parts of a planned six are available so far)
Evangelion 1.11 & 2.22 (of a planned four parts)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (US release in April)

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

:cmon:

Heh...

I read it wrong, as the previous guy said that that very store said it wasn't out yet. My mistake.

DarthJon
Apr 22, 2006
Anyone want to bet Evangelion 2.22 will be available for sale this weekend at Katsucon? They are showing it there

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

DarthJon posted:

Anyone want to bet Evangelion 2.22 will be available for sale this weekend at Katsucon? They are showing it there

Not likely. It's intended release date is late March. But I don't go to cons so I don't know if they push out product that far in advance.

Also, just FYI, unless they've specified it's english dubbed, they're showing it subtitled. I saw it in January at the theater and it was then.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Finally managed to watch Summer Wars despite having it since tuesday. It is a gorgeous movie and was really entertaining. I hopy GWLTT gets the same treatment in april.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DarthJon posted:

Confirmed negative as of Friday night, though the first showing isn't over until after the dealers' room closes.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I know people have been complaining about the Blu-Ray release of FLCL, but is it worth a buy from Amazon at 25 dollars + free 2-day shipping since I've enjoyed the one or two episodes I have seen plus I haven't bought the series before.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I think FLCL on blu-ray looks and sounds great, and especially recommend it if you haven't seen nor owned the series before. Yes, it is an upscale; no, the series has not been ruined.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Space Fish posted:

I think FLCL on blu-ray looks and sounds great, and especially recommend it if you haven't seen nor owned the series before. Yes, it is an upscale; no, the series has not been ruined.

If You have an upscaling DVD player is the difference worth it over just getting the DVD? I guess audio would be improved, and it would be more durable, but video wouldn't be better would it?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Skychrono posted:

If You have an upscaling DVD player is the difference worth it over just getting the DVD? I guess audio would be improved, and it would be more durable, but video wouldn't be better would it?

People (who don't do a lot of work with video) tend to underestimate exactly how lovely MPEG-2 is. The original FLCL release was on three discs, so they could straight up throw bitrate at the video and avoid a lot of the problems. Nobody likes to see bitrate starved DVDs (if you happen to have Eureka seveN or the first Haruhi series, check out the first ED/OP respectively for huge breakdown).

The Funimation release has all six episodes on one disc.

By the way, merely being an upscale isn't why anybody is complaining about a lot of these upscales. The real problem is that a lot of them are just really poorly handled, and in some cases add artifacts that a competent upscale of the DVD (and therefore previously MPEG-2 encoded) source doesn't have. When you can beat the quality by upscaling your MPEG-2 poo poo, that's bad. Because of how awful MPEG-2 is though, in general there's actually no reason to balk at something for being a mere upscale, as long as they're honest about it anyway.

These are old and actually look a bit better now because the person who uploaded to this site downscaled the BD rip to 720p, but you can still see some weird aliasing on lines, and it's a lot more noticeable in motion. And yes, I know that the BD rip is sharper looking, though that DVD upscale is a straight resize filter, no sharpening at all. The Q-Tec assholes that keep ruining anime oversharpen badly on top of just resizing, so it'd be fair to take that into consideration.

Okay, actually I haven't seen a rip of the Funimation BDs anywhere to make these comparisons, there is precedent for them doing the mastering themselves and beating Japan at it (Full Metal Panic) but I wouldn't hold my breath.

All that said, get the BD. The action is too fast and common for six episodes on a DVD to keep up, ugly upscale or not.

:goonsay:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Five years ago, most places would have charged you at least 40 dollars to get all three flcl dvds. Now we get them on one disc for pretty cheap.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is there news of a Paranoia Agent bluray set coming out in the US?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So Tales of Earthsea (Gedo Senki) is being released the same day as the BRD of Nausicaa. While earthsea is only a dvd format, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about a blu ray release for it? I would love to get the movie but would really prefer a high def version of it.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light

Len posted:

Is there news of a Paranoia Agent bluray set coming out in the US?

This would rule pretty loving hardcore, but PA was a Geneon title. I don't think I've ever heard anything about Funi even considering running a license rescue on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenore03
Apr 22, 2010

Roflfox posted:

This would rule pretty loving hardcore, but PA was a Geneon title. I don't think I've ever heard anything about Funi even considering running a license rescue on it.

Plus it sold badly.

• Locked thread