Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I've had to have my septic holding tank emptied three times this year.

That poo poo gets expensive quick. So, because my furnace is a high efficiency, and it has a compressor in it to extract heat out of the exhaust before it is, uh, exhausted, it has this little pipe to discharge the moisture that collects. So I thought, why the gently caress is this going into my septic tank, that water is totally clean, gently caress this.

So I rerouted it straight into the sump. That salt stain is because the guy who plumbed this all up didn't account for the angle of the pipe I guess. The discharge was straight 90' from the downpipe, and no elbow on the end, so the water kinda dribbled backwards and onto the cement.

poo poo pours out the the furnace is running.

Hopefully this will save me a couple weeks of septic tank capacity.

If not, gently caress it, it's only 20 bucks worth of fittings and pipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
You ever heard of Rid-X? Not sure how well it actually works, but it seems worth a try.

Also, you use a garbage disposal?

emf
Aug 1, 2002

That should really be dripping onto a re-humidifier screen.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The Scientist posted:

You ever heard of Rid-X? Not sure how well it actually works, but it seems worth a try.

Also, you use a garbage disposal?

Rid-x is for septic systems with a septic field, I just have a tank. Due to the high water table and the smallish (relative) size of my lot, I cannot have a field unfortunately.

No, no garbage disposal. I compost.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Have you looked into peat or other compact septic systems? I had the same problems with a high water table at my house, except in my case, people didn't give a poo poo 50 years ago and put in a septic field anyhow. Thankfully, a developer ran city sewer past my house and I've closed the field- it sure is nice to be able to flush my toilets 12 months out of the year now! Prior to that, though, I was getting pretty desperate to get a septic system that worked. There ARE systems out there that will work; they still require a drain field, but the discharge from the peat system is clean water so it's less of an issue than with a traditional septic field (that doesn't work when the ground is saturated) and the field can be very small.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It's a zoning problem more than a technical issue.

The county has rules about where a field can be placed, it has to be x meters from the road entrance (driveway) and x meters from your wellhead.

Because these lots are long and skinny, and the wells are in the middle of the longest side, the only way to have enough space is to have the driveway right next to the wellhead.

My neighbour in the green house was able to do that because he bought the lot on the north side, where the road curves around and heads east. So, he was able to move his driveway from the front like mine, to the side on the north of his lot. His field is on the west side of his property, right where my house would sit on his lot.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003
This thread is awesome. I also have a house on a 1 acre lot; otherwise every single thing about us is completely opposite. Your stories of life on the clay-ey plains in an awesome house that doesn't need renovation are badass.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
I have a Sun-Mar compost toilet I luckily snagged on Craigslist for cheap. It's not for everyone but I like it; definitely saves water and a no brainer to install

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
That sounds awful.

What's different about it and just digging a hole?

edit: Also was it used when you got it? We all use "used" toilets all the time, but I mean they don't usually harbor our waste for any prolonged period.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Haha. Like I said, it is not for everyone, but with an open mind, it does make sense and its absolutely sanitary

There are many styles of composting toilets which you can read about online but the commercial toilets generally have a thermostat controlled heating element and a vent (either passive or active). After each, ahem, deposit, an aeration media is added (coconut coir, peat moss or sawdust) and a mixing drum is turned. The goal is to keep the composting mass aerated and not overly wet, just moist.
Theres no odor and twice a year you collect rich compost (its insane how much bulk is removed via composting)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Alternately, you could get a Japanese-style robot bidet toilet seat which actually is awesome.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
I vaguely remember a family member having the same problem with their tank filling up really fast. A lot of it was due to waste water from the washing machine. They ended up running a drain out into their back yard (buried drain tile pretty deep) for the wash water. I'm pretty sure it wasn't entirely.... 'legit'... but it drastically reduced the amount of water going into the tank.

I'm not sure it is something I would personally do, but it helped a lot.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

nummy posted:

I vaguely remember a family member having the same problem with their tank filling up really fast. A lot of it was due to waste water from the washing machine. They ended up running a drain out into their back yard (buried drain tile pretty deep) for the wash water. I'm pretty sure it wasn't entirely.... 'legit'... but it drastically reduced the amount of water going into the tank.

I'm not sure it is something I would personally do, but it helped a lot.

Its legitimate in some municipalities. Look into greywater. Its great for watering fruit trees. Best method is to have the water exit buried into a basin of mulch and make sure to use phosphate free biodegradable soap

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Right, isn't that a drain field? Slung Blade was saying that because of zoning issues and the way his lot is set up he can't have one (or something).

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
Maybe.. I thought that an actual drain field came off of your septic tank.

Maybe if Slung is enough of a Ninja, he could pull it off?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

nummy posted:

Maybe.. I thought that an actual drain field came off of your septic tank.

Maybe if Slung is enough of a Ninja, he could pull it off?
Til the field, plant drain line, cover, and water! He can call it an irrigation system if his neighbors ask any questions :D

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
He lives in Canada, where the ground is frozen maybe 85% of the year.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

grover posted:

Til the field, plant drain line, cover, and water! He can call it an irrigation system if his neighbors ask any questions :D

Exactly!

If he buries it deep enough he wouldn't have to worry about the ground being frozen. Frost only goes down a few feet.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Well, hmmm. Like I've said before in this thread, I think, I'm from Florida so I have no idea how any of this stuff works.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah, that would be a drain field, and I can't have one, greywater only or not.

Legally.

My folks live on four acres, and they do have a septic drainage field. Works fine year round, you just have to build them properly.

Edit: slept in to see if the neighbour's place was being dropped on the foundation. No movement, no workmen doing anything. Guess it was canceled for today.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 4, 2011

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
This thread is completely awesome. Just finished reading it through from the beginning and watching everything come together has been an amazing journey. Excelsior, Slung Blade!

Dacier
Jun 30, 2005
Lurked Too Damn Long
Same here, drinking beer the whole way through.
I'm originally from Ontario living now in Victoria BC hanging out with a lot of Alberta friends and really impressed by the Alberta can do attitude. Plus with the stories of Calgary shutting down for the Stampede every year I'm close to moving out there in a few years. Good jobs never hurt too.

Awesome house.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

The Scientist posted:

He lives in Canada, where the ground is frozen maybe 85% of the year.

Hmmm... and you call yourself "The Scientist" eh? :)

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Well when you take it out of context like that....

that's a metric 85% of a metric year.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

gently caress I knew I was forgetting something.

I was in Tulsa for a week, but the new neighbour's house has been installed. I wasn't there to get pictures unfortunately, but my folks were looking after my place for me while I was gone and did get a few pictures.

I'll post them tonight or tomorrow maybe.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
I just read all 12 pages in one sitting. This is such a great thread, it's been interesting to watch the whole process. You're definitely living the dream.

Mine has always been to buy a heritage house and renovate it into my dream home, a little slice of personal heaven, putting into form my love of art, history, music and science. That sounds corny, I don't know how else to describe it though, it's kind of hard to explain. Either a heritage house, or build a brand new house, but with my own plans that I've stored in my head for 10 or so years.

Going back to university this year I decided to go for the Pharmacist program, but my strong second choices were Architecture or Interior Design. Either one would have been my first choice but for the fact that Pharmacy was more practical. I also love the country, the privacy and choice that you have in your environment. I've lived in apartments too long, and I really want my own house, bad. I can't stand living in this white box, as devoid of character as it is devoid of architectural detail. Having said that, this thread was like erotica for me, thank you. Makes me enthusiastic about the future, and someday getting my dream house.

Everyone went crazy over your baking, and you are definitely a talented renaissance man, but personally you had me at the retro gaming items. :3:

Thanks for letting us into your world, I hope that things continue to go well for you. I'm looking forward to following this thread and seeing what new adventures you get yourself into.

To contribute something actually worthwhile, I will share some pictures which you might appreciate. Anyone who appreciates heritage homes and renovation should dig it. http://www.kasloheritagehome.com/ That house makes me want it -so- bad. I go there and browse to torture myself occasionally, and hate myself for not having the 1.5+ million required to own it. The garage... oh god. Love it. All of it.

when worlds collide fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 13, 2011

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
drat it, you re-instilled my manly and expensive house building fantasies :argh:

Speaking of which, how old are you, and how are you paying for all of this anyways?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Thanks you guys :)

I'm 29, and I work full time as a systems analyst. My aunt passed away a few years ago and left me some money, and some of my grandparents decided to give me part of my inheritance when I needed it, not when they were gone.

So basically, I have a great family and they've helped me out a lot. :unsmith:

I'm single though, and I live alone still. I'm able to handle the bills and the mortgage on my own, and I have no debt other than the house itself thankfully. It would be nice to have someone to share my life with though. I'm such a goon.

Finally uploaded those pictures of the new neighbour's place.

So I went for a trip to Tulsa for a week, my folks looked after the place while I was gone. I knew the house was coming, because this is what it looked like when I left.

My dad got these images over a couple of days, first of it being delivered.

And finally moved onto the foundation.

And this is after I got back. I got out of Tulsa the day that massive storm hit the US. We just got a lot of cold air and a bit of snow here, not a big deal.

I think it looks like a really nice home, a welcome addition to the neighbourhood.

E: also I got a new couch.

It was a floor model, only 200 bucks! gently caress yeah!

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 15, 2011

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Slung Blade, between this and your tractor thread you are seriously the coolest person there is.

Keep it up bro :3:

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

I'm single though, and I live alone still. I'm able to handle the bills and the mortgage on my own, and I have no debt other than the house itself thankfully. It would be nice to have someone to share my life with though. I'm such a goon.
I read somewhere that ladies are five times as likely to get with you if you own a house, so get cracking ;)

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

snorch posted:

I read somewhere that ladies are five times as likely to get with you if you own a house, so get cracking ;)

Nuh uh, gently caress that. Did you SEE his old systems, and all the great game cartridges? :colbert:

House shmouse. Anyway, a lady should get with him cause he's awesome, not cause he has a house.

Slung Blade posted:

I'm 29, and I work full time as a systems analyst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgKiIAjtrR4

Does that make me evil, because that's what I imagined when I read that. That sentence was in Martin's voice. :D

when worlds collide fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 15, 2011

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

snorch posted:

Hey man, I'm first in line for moving in if for some reason I am magically teleported to Canada :colbert:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

My sister brings up that moment in Simpson's history every time I talk about what I do. It makes me laugh.

I honestly did not expect to be doing what I do when I was a kid, but when I was choosing a major back in 1999, the IT industry was just starting to pick up steam, and computer scientists were writing their own paychecks.

Then like a year into my degree, the bottom fell out of the dotcoms and things looked pretty grim.

After I graduated, there were literally no jobs (none that replied to my applications, anyway) and the university was of absolutely no help. They held a "career fair" for my department about a semester before I graduated. Only 3 companies attended that fair, only two had jobs that they were recruiting for, and even then, there were only two positions at each.

So for a class of approximately 200 (I think, it may have been 300 in my department) there were 4 jobs for us to fight over.

Needless to say, I wasn't hired by any of them. So I was unemployed for a few months, felt like a total loser, and I started applying everywhere. First job out of university was general labour at a lumber mill. Well, it wasn't even a mill, it was a remanufacturing place. They would buy cedar lumber and we would cut it to get more value out of it, the theory being that in a 16ft board of low grade, you could cut out a 4ft piece of clear lumber (no knots, put it in a sauna for big dollars) an 8ft piece of mid-grade and maybe a couple short lengths that we can use for firewood.

That was a good experience for me. I worked there for 9 months, most guys who worked there didn't last more than a week. I lost a ton of weight, got way stronger, learned a lot about wood, and they wanted me to use the saw after just a couple of months there. Most guys didn't get on the saw until they had been there for a year or so. It took me a while to get caught up to the pace we worked at (about 3 weeks) but after that, I started setting the pace for others. It was hard work and a lot of times I didn't like it; I woke up with pain in my arms every day because we used our hands so much, and gloves didn't last more than a week. We used duct tape a lot to rebuild the fingerpads on them, eventually they got too stiff to grip anything with and you had to buy new ones. However, it was good honest work, and I look back on it now with a lot of fondness. I made some good friends and it was valuable time.

Then I started working as the warehouse guy at a local oilfield supply company. That was a fun job too. Everyone who bought from us was worried that the excellent guy they had before was going to be replaced by some skinny, desk-jockey college boy because a friend of my mother's had helped me get the job in the first place.

After I had been there for two months, I had caught everything up that the last guy didn't/wasn't able to do. Crap inventory was out, scrap pipe that had been driven over was sold as scrap and hauled off, the warehouse was cleaned and organized.

Then I started improving things.

The mezzanine above the office was used for storage of documents, and there was a really rickety old "gate" consisting of a single 2x4 that kind of slotted into holes on either side of a gap so we could use the forklift to haul a pallet of boxes up there. It was really weak and would not have prevented a kitten's weight from falling over the edge if it leaned up against it. So I built a safety gate, some 2x4s, a saw, a hammer, a caster wheel and hinges so it could swing out of the way, and a gate latch to keep it closed. I reinforced the framework too so I could actually lean on it safely.

I also taught the folks there how put plywood on top of one pallet, then put the pallet with the boxes on top of that and lift up the bottom pallet. Then, provided you aligned it right, you could drive the pallet jack onto the plywood and simply pull the box pallet off in a jiffy.

After that I got bored. So I saved the company 80% of the costs we incurred on couriers by delivering almost everything myself in the shop truck, since I had been able to get all the order picks and inventory stocking done so quickly.

After that the management changed (salesman took over) and I decided to leave as he didn't respect me at all. So I went to work for the courier company that we had used before I kinda took over their duties.

I bought a dodge dakota and drove for them for about a year. That was, without a doubt, the worst job I have ever had. I hated it after about a month of doing it. People treat you like dirt no matter how good of a job you do. I gained all the weight back and got a hemorrhoid from sitting on my rear end all day. It was an absolutely awful experience.

Then I did some uneventful tech support for a satellite tv company here for about a year, and then I joined my current company as a software developer.

Been here for almost 5 years now.

So yeah, basically I should have skipped the computer stuff and gone into mechanical engineering or something. I think I would be a lot better at it than I am a computer scientist, and I would be making more money.

Also if you like that old nintendo stuff, I will get pictures for the ones I have in storage in the basement. I've got two old amigas and a timex sinclair.

I grew up on amigas and lego.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Slung Blade posted:

Epic story spanning lands and rivers, deserts and oasis'

As a fellow Systems Administrator/Engineer, my story is near this cool.

I worked for a bank out of college as an analyst and now work for a bank software provider as an administrator.

And I don't make near enough money to live on such a big yard or have such a big house.

</jealous>

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

when worlds collide posted:

Nuh uh, gently caress that. Did you SEE his old systems, and all the great game cartridges? :colbert:

House shmouse. Anyway, a lady should get with him cause he's awesome, not cause he has a house.

Any goonette who reads this thread and doesn't instantly fall in love with the idea of life with Slung Blade is either married to the world's most perfect man or asexual.

Seriously; he bakes pie, could fix my computer, and I'm pretty sure would let me play with fire. :allears:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

Seriously; he bakes pie, could fix my computer, and I'm pretty sure would let me play with fire. :allears:

He's half nerdy nerd and half farm boy. Any straight girl that isn't in love with him is crazy. :colbert:

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

madlilnerd posted:

Any goonette who reads this thread and doesn't instantly fall in love with the idea of life with Slung Blade is either married to the world's most perfect man or asexual.

Oh I know, it's hot. That was for snorch's benefit. But see, I make pie, and build my own computers and fix em, although the playing with fire part is definitely sexy. Anyway you're pretty awesome yourself, lady! Or have you forgotten how much I love your proclivities for making beautiful vases? :3:

We will have that goon art collective if we have to break several immigration laws in the process. And if we can't find big strong men to help, well, one of us will just have to learn how to engineer robotics in a timely fashion. Don't think you're safe, boys, we may not need you. We have options.

(enough thread crossover for now)

Slung Blade posted:

So for a class of approximately 200 (I think, it may have been 300 in my department) there were 4 jobs for us to fight over.

That's why I went with Pharmacy. I did the research and the chances of me not having a job when it was over were slim. Also, BC has a thing where if you work for 3 years in an underserved area, in need of medical specialists, they will pay your student loans by a third each year. BC student loans would be forgiven in full after 3 years service, and you can even take breaks in between. Pharmacist is on that list, and Canada wide there's a huge demand for them. It was a safe choice. And cutting my student loan debt? Ok, if you insist! (I would have moved elsewhere anyway once school was done, this way I get paid for it).

I'd really rather do architecture or design, or even writing as that's my natural talent, but I am reticent to get into careers that are as competitive as those ones. I want job security, not to constantly have to promote myself and my abilities, gently caress that. Or have to worry about how permanent my job is. I figure I'll probably still write a novel or two, for that matter I'll still make music but it'll be on my offtime. If nobody wants to read it or listen to it, who cares. My rent won't depend on it.

My stepbrother is an archaeologist, has his degree and everything, and he works in a lumber mill. I'd like to avoid that fate. It would kill me to have certification in a field that I have a passion for, and not be able to make it a huge part of my life. If you haven't spent a lot of money and several years of your life on something, it's still your hobby and you don't fret so much if it doesn't enable you to make a living off of it. My love of science is marketable enough.

Slung Blade posted:

So yeah, basically I should have skipped the computer stuff and gone into mechanical engineering or something. I think I would be a lot better at it than I am a computer scientist, and I would be making more money.

Well, you can always change later. I know that you need to keep paying your mortgage, but you never know, maybe sometime you will get the opportunity. I'm actually surprised that I am going to Uni at my age, but it's either that or misery and I'm not a masochist, so. I will never work retail again, and while I enjoyed my job in marketing (because it wasn't your typical soulless money grab type marketing) 10 years of it was enough. Happily I can report I'm apparently not a sadist, either. Goody. But, you've got plenty of time. A lot of people switch careers at least once in their life, often even more than once.

Slung Blade posted:

Also if you like that old nintendo stuff, I will get pictures for the ones I have in storage in the basement. I've got two old amigas and a timex sinclair.

I grew up on amigas and lego.

Please do! I'd love to see, it's interesting seeing other people's collections. I've been slowly collecting the old stuff again. I have a list here of my stuff, it's not that great of a collection thus far, but I'm actively looking out for more additions, checking craigslist and secondhand stores often. I wish I had of been wiser and kept all my old stuff instead of trading it in, or letting it get stolen. And I stupidly somehow lost one of my Dreamcasts when I moved last year, god that still hurts. I figure it was sent to the Sally Ann with some other boxes by accident. At least it was just the console, that's not too difficult to replace. Games would be more of a pain in the rear end.

I grew up on Atari and Commodores :D My dad bought me an Atari 2600 when I was wee, so the path my life took was his fault. Once I played Space Invaders, it was all over. When Frogger came out on Coleco, that sealed the deal. And when Sierra made games for the pc, oh lordy. Carved in stone. I remember Computer Math class in school, we learned how to program Basic and everybody fought over who got the C64's. The losers got the Vic 20's. Sucked to be them. I remember Amigas, although I never had one.

Ok, enough of my crap, more Slung's life awesomeness please. Please tell me you've been working on some Faberge eggs with incredibly detailed scenes inside, using precious metals and stones, and commence to show us photos. Or photos of the time machine you've finally test driven after working on it for 2 weeks, and the artifacts from ancient Etruscan cities you visited on the test journey. I wouldn't put it past you, Slung. ;)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I still wish I knew girls like all of you in real life. I baked shortbread for ladies at work and my friends. My friend's wife told him and he told me that she would marry me for my cookies alone were she not already married, but all the single ones keep ignoring me :smith:

when worlds collide posted:

Please tell me you've been working on some Faberge eggs with incredibly detailed scenes inside, using precious metals and stones, and commence to show us photos.

Not quite, I've been setting up bench grinders and polishing my hammer :haw:

so lonely

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Slung Blade posted:

I still wish I knew girls like all of you in real life. I baked shortbread for ladies at work and my friends. My friend's wife told him and he told me that she would marry me for my cookies alone were she not already married, but all the single ones keep ignoring me :smith:

so lonely

I tried to think of some hammer or grinding innuendo, but I wasn't clever enough. :downsrim:

I can sympathise with you, where I live there aren't that many of the kind of people I share things in common with and it can be frustrating, to be honest I feel quite isolated here and would go peculiar if it weren't for the internet, and having access to my friends through it. I actually resent having moved here, and when this part of my education is done, I'm more than likely out.

However, you should not be single. I want to see this change for you, mister. You have too much awesome for one person, and I expect to see you sharing that awesomeness with a worthy someone in due course. Your fan club in this thread demands nothing less, I reckon. At least you've got some kick rear end female forum friends, that's something! And I for one would love to swap shortbread recipes.

Also, requesting time machine pics. *snort* ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHEEZball
Nov 23, 2006

Slung Blade posted:

so lonely

Daw! I'd come for a visit for a tour of the house and some down home cookin one day! Would be pretty neat to actually see the house I've been watching online for .. ever lol