Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

What are the best current options for 8-string guitars under $800 right now?

Rondo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixfix
Nov 4, 2010

GET IN THE BIN

Kilometers Davis posted:

What are the best current options for 8-string guitars under $800 right now?

Has someone been listening to Tosin Abasi? :smug:

pixfix
Nov 4, 2010

GET IN THE BIN

RetardedRobots posted:

Super easy to fix.

Remove strings, remove the 4 screws at the corners of the pickup ring but not the two on the sides yet, and pull the whole pickup assembly out (leaving the wiring intact... should be enough slack to pull the assembly out).

The two screws left in the assembly should enter through the ring, run through a spring and be screwed into the pickup's "ears". For your guitar, something will be wrong with that last sentence. Missing screws? Replace them. Missing springs? Replace them. Screw not in pickup ear? Screw it into ear while the assembly is out of the guitar to make it catches (don't worry about pup height for now, just screw in a couple revolutions).

Put the assembly back, screw in the 4 corner screws and check pup clearance against where you think the springs would be (i.e.: pup should be well below the fret board). Restring. Play and adjust pickup upwards (tighten two side screws) until you get it where it needs to be.

If the assembly is correct and you still have issues, take a better pic while the assembly is out...

Thank you, I will try this tomorrow, after I go get new strings to put on it. Might as well do it all at once.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

pixfix posted:

Has someone been listening to Tosin Abasi? :smug:

Too much sludge/stoner metal honestly. 7 just isn't enough :negative:

Manky posted:

Rondo.

That's what I thought, thanks.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Schecter makes 8 strings for 400 (Omen) and 900 (Hellraiser/Blackjack) too. ESP's (FM-408, 418) are probably around 900 as well. And Ibanez makes the RGA8 at 800. But if you're just playing sludge/stoner, tune one 6 to like G and another to C or D and you're good to go.

Duck and burger fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 13, 2011

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I wanted to try to learn Calamity Song [youtube]from The Decemberists' new album, but all of the tabs I can find are obviously wrong. Anyone willing to help me out?

edit: found one: http://www.indieguitartabs.com/bands/decemberists/calamity_song.html
never seen this tab site before, looks pretty good

also the iphone app Capo, while being ridiculously overpriced, is unbelievably useful for figuring out new songs.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 14, 2011

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Complete, entire, utter newbie, never even messed around much with a guitar newbie.

I am interested in resonator guitars. What can I look for in terms of affordable and decent quality? Should I just go to a local shop and ask around there?

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Is there any secret to memorizing the notes on the guitar or is it just a matter of practice? I'm going to try some flashcards tomorrow.

My Precious Violin Case
Aug 1, 2004

Is it gay that I want to see it?

Moogs posted:

Is there any secret to memorizing the notes on the guitar or is it just a matter of practice? I'm going to try some flashcards tomorrow.

Go to "Fretboard Identification" on this site and practice practice practice. If you choose to customize the exercise you can limit yourself to just one part of the fretboard (you can also turn off the open positions since that's just a nuisance). This is the kind of thing that you won't get much out of by firing up every once in a while, try your best to make a routine out of it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Moogs posted:

This is another great memorisation technique, and it'll teach you the circle of 4ths too!

http://www.studybass.com/lessons/fretboard-notes/studybass-note-name-memorization-method/

Basically the idea is you pick an octave range on one string (frets 0-11, 11-22 or whatever 12-note range reaches your highest fret), grab a metronome and play each note in the cycle to the beat. You're only focusing on a block of 12 frets on a single string at a time, and the challenge is to be ready for the next note when the beat comes around. You start slow and build up, until you can clear the entire fretboard in less than a minute.

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.

I like turtles posted:

Complete, entire, utter newbie, never even messed around much with a guitar newbie.

I am interested in resonator guitars. What can I look for in terms of affordable and decent quality? Should I just go to a local shop and ask around there?

yo,

What is your budget ?

Essentially you can either get:
-a 200€ Johnson, or other brand, but these will be lovely instruments. Do a youtube search to listen to some guys playing them. Also, resale value is probably rubbish.

-a Republic guitar http://www.republicguitars.com/. I myself own the Resolian (parlor size) - I've had it for a year and a half. These are pretty good, Chinese-made, they cost around 600€ I think new (yeah 679$ - I don't know where you live). If you are in the UK, these are from the same factory http://www.buskerguitars.co.uk/
From what I understand there is a tiny bit of variability in build quality for these, so it's best to try them before. Same, do a youtube search and listen. This guy owns several, and does sound compararaisons: http://www.youtube.com/user/BottleneckJohn
You might come across my video, but it's rubbish so I'm not gonna link it lol.

-a real National, with starting prices at around 1500$, going up to 3000$ for a Tricone. These are top notch instruments.

For more info about National guitars, resonator guitars and their history, read http://www.bobbrozman.com/national.html

There is a list of 20s-30s players there you can listen to, and if they played a single cone or tricone:

Vintage Single cone artists: Blind Boy Fuller, Son House, Casey Bill Weldon, King Benny Nawahi…

Vintage Tricone artists: Tampa Red, Oscar Buddy Woods, Black Ace, Oscar Aleman (jazz), Sol Hoopii…

Some current players you can listen to on youtube will include Bob Brozman (he really is THE authority on National guitars), Eric Bibb (check out Booker's Guitar), Taj Mahal.

Now as to starting guitar playing with a resonator:

-it will be a harder on your hands then a standard acoustic guitar because the neck is wider, and you will also likely be using bigger strings to switch into open tunings. Although I suppose you can just start with normal strings and work your way up. That said, starting guitar playing with open tunings (check out the Brozman website for that as well) might be pretty cool. And it's easier to intuitively make music in open tunings than standard tunings.

-to really get the "full" volume from the cone, it is preferable to use fingerpicks, so get some of those as well.

-remember it's louder, so if your girlfriend/mom/flatmates/dog might get a tad more annoyed with you than if you were playing a normal guitar. But it sounds/looks much cooler than a normal guitar, so gently caress them.

-if/when you get a bottleneck and know what you want, get it from here http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com (I have the Blue Diamond)

I hope that was helpful ! Ask away if you have more questions.

On an unrelated note, everybody should listen to Ryan Francesconi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvPRaXpvh4w

I saw him last night and he was incredible.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I was hoping to stay in the $200-$300 range, but it doesn't sound like I can get into a decent resonator in there?
I think I'll keep an eye out locally for a starter guitar of some sort.

Thank you for the advice, though, now I know what to drool over!

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.
Well this one is at 379$ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRaVxR2awVo

It's wooden body with a cone.

But if you're gonna spend 200$, get a decent used acoustic. You'll be able to find a good guitar. Maybe get a buddy to help you out choosing/trying them out.

I just checked the Johnson ones, and they're not as cheap as I thought they were - 270€, so 360$.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Way more than I want to spend right now, but this looks very nice: http://tucson.craigslist.org/msg/2204367418.html
I'll start out with an acoustic or a steel string, I guess

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It looks like ancient tape delay boxes aren't too hard to find on eBay for around $500. Is it a horrible idea to get one?

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

So I have been playing on my guild acoustic for the last couple years, and I have been thinking about expanding into the world of electric guitars. I would like to mostly be playing rock and blues on it, so I was thinking of a Les Paul body shape. If I had around $500 to spend on guitar and amp, what should I be looking at?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

rt4 posted:

It looks like ancient tape delay boxes aren't too hard to find on eBay for around $500. Is it a horrible idea to get one?

You can get a Strymon El Capistan for $300 and have a very good simulation of one if you don't want to deal with the physical hardware.

If this offends your analog/digital religious beliefs then please accept my apologies.

Optimus Subprime posted:

So I have been playing on my guild acoustic for the last couple years, and I have been thinking about expanding into the world of electric guitars. I would like to mostly be playing rock and blues on it, so I was thinking of a Les Paul body shape. If I had around $500 to spend on guitar and amp, what should I be looking at?

The standard answer is an Agile from Rondo. My first electric was an AL-3100 and I love it. I got a Vox DA5 amp to go with it which I have since augmented with a Vox AC4TV. Some of the AL-3000 and 3100 (only difference is the color of inlays) are about $380 and a DA5 is about $120.

havelock fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 15, 2011

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Another good way to memorize the fretboard is to work out your scales and chord inversions. You'll only remember stuff that you use, and if you "memorize" 138 notes but only learn chords and scales in the lower 7 frets, those upper notes won't stick in memory too long.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

havelock posted:

You can get a Strymon El Capistan for $300 and have a very good simulation of one if you don't want to deal with the physical hardware.

If this offends your analog/digital religious beliefs then please accept my apologies.

El Capistan just doesn't do all the bizarre space loops that a real tape delay does; nothing to do with "vintage tone" or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXLu_qlrsJQ

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

CalvinDooglas posted:

Another good way to memorize the fretboard is to work out your scales and chord inversions. You'll only remember stuff that you use, and if you "memorize" 138 notes but only learn chords and scales in the lower 7 frets, those upper notes won't stick in memory too long.

could you tell me more about Chord inversion? any exercises? I have been messing around with a lot of beginner jazz lately to help me learn more chords and the notes( and pick up chicks) and this sounds intriguing

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
I've been playing for ~20 years, and really the only thing I haven't mastered (other than a sync between my left and right hand) is sweep picking. Anybody have any links on excersizes and practices that can help unlock this mental block?
I went to a Michael Anthony(dual neck guy, once played with kiss.. 1994) 'clinic' and the only thing that remains a mystery to me is the sweep picking. I know it is cliche and 'easy' but I've still not mastered it. Any tips much appreciated.

An0
Nov 10, 2006

FetusSlapper posted:

I've been playing for ~20 years, and really the only thing I haven't mastered (other than a sync between my left and right hand) is sweep picking. Anybody have any links on excersizes and practices that can help unlock this mental block?
I went to a Michael Anthony(dual neck guy, once played with kiss.. 1994) 'clinic' and the only thing that remains a mystery to me is the sweep picking. I know it is cliche and 'easy' but I've still not mastered it. Any tips much appreciated.

What exercises have you been working on for now ? I'm sure a quick google and you can find some chord progressions you can sweep, or just go for that Jason Becker - Altitudes tune. The two strings/finger parts are tricky though.

Pick out some chord progressions and sweep the arpeggios - maybe start with two strings and move your way up.

The thing is that it really is a technique you have to learn very slowly, playing as cleanly as you can, paying careful attention to note duration, and how you're muting the notes with your palm (ie. moving your palm diagonally from right to left, looking down at your strings, and vice versa). Don't rush through the practicing slowly phase, or it'll sound like mush when you speed up.

If you have the time to put in, why don't you develop another aspect of your music though ? Sweep picking really doesn't have that much use, unless you have a special obsession for Necrophagist and Frank Gambale or something.

Male on Sunday
Apr 2, 2010

by T. Finn
what are some good strings to put on an acoustic washburn (WD32SCE) with the primary style being folk/singer-songwriter type fingerpicking? I've tried some steel and silk D'Addarios, and although I really like the mellowness they sound a little "meek" for lack of a better word. Any suggestions?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Male on Sunday posted:

what are some good strings to put on an acoustic washburn (WD32SCE) with the primary style being folk/singer-songwriter type fingerpicking? I've tried some steel and silk D'Addarios, and although I really like the mellowness they sound a little "meek" for lack of a better word. Any suggestions?

You can look here to compare the types they make and the mellowness, if you liked the sound of those maybe flatwounds would be worth a try... do you know what gauge you put on though? Lighter gauges tend to sound weaker, if you bought the 11's then 12's might sound better to you

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

SaucyPants posted:

could you tell me more about Chord inversion? any exercises? I have been messing around with a lot of beginner jazz lately to help me learn more chords and the notes( and pick up chicks) and this sounds intriguing

There's some prerequisite theory that you'd need first, it won't make much sense if you don't know 1) all the notes on the guitar, 2) scales, 3) chord construction. Basic voice leading is also helpful, especially if you're playing jazz.

if you already know these things: An inversion is a chord that is not in root position. Instead, it has the 3rd, 5th, or 7th in the bass. The best way to learn them is to figure them out with your knowledge of scales and chord construction. Start with triads, such as the lowest root position triad on the guitar, G: 320xxx. Staying on the low E, move up to the third of the chord, B on the 7th fret. Find the other two notes in the chords on the same set of strings: 755xxx. Spelled BDG, with the third, B, in the bass instead of the root, G. Do this on sets of 3 adjacent strings, one octave. When you get around to 7th chords, make the exercise 4 adjacent strings.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

FetusSlapper posted:

that L/R synchrony is pretty important to technical development in general. Do you have a practice routine, or use a metronome at all? Before doing economy picking, make sure your alt picking is decent because you'll need precise articulation.

You ever seen Wheel of Fortune? that arrow smacking the pegs as the wheel slows down? That's what sweep picking is like. You use it to move across strings in the same direction. Where it gets tricky is when you use economy picking overall, which is what advanced "speed" players usually do. That's basically sweep picking with direction changes, and is different enough from alt picking that it warrants its own slot in your practice routine. It'll take some patience to develop the precision you need to change direction efficiently.

If your hands aren't coordinated all that well it'd indicate your alt picking is probably spotty, so work that up a bit and then start looking at economy picking when you've got some right hand precision. Start the metronome at 60.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 16, 2011

Spider Crusoe
Jan 30, 2005

I recall people in this thread complaining about the G string being the most troublesome string, so I thought I'd post this video (Care & Feeding Part 2) about stringing a guitar. Basically, the guy says that the G string needs more winds around the tuner peg to stay in tune. Don't know if that's true, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's totally the B string that's the rear end in a top hat string.

Fuckin B string...

wcagizmo
Oct 28, 2008

HEH, HEH, HEH.
I've got some questions about improving my technique and speed. I'd like to be able to play specifically things like this:

Dragonforce - Valley of the Damned Outro. (Starts right around 6:10 to the end.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO_x9FEqlXg

My tapping and sweeping are practically at a beginner level still, but - I'm wanting to know what I should do to improve my general playing ability in order to play things like this. At 6:32, there's a riff that's playing without tapping / sweeping. Just general speed improvement is what I'm wanting to know. Feel free to suggest full routines or practices. I'm up for anything!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can you play it with a metronome at half normal speed?
If so, play it every day. Crank it up by 1 bpm every time you feel like it's too easy.

wcagizmo
Oct 28, 2008

HEH, HEH, HEH.

rt4 posted:

Can you play it with a metronome at half normal speed?
If so, play it every day. Crank it up by 1 bpm every time you feel like it's too easy.

Some parts of it. In order words, play it extremely slow until I can play it fast?

Anything else I can do on a daily basis to improve speed and technique?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I dunno about speed in depth it's not my thing, but if you look up some live videos you may notice that not even Dragonforce sounds like Dragonforce :laugh:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm tryig to learn to string my Strat right now!

It fuckign sucks. I hate it. I hate it so much. You know the computer's lines in I Have No Mouth...? Yeah. Like that. I hosed up two high E's, a low E, and the B. The B is strung, but it's strung badly. It overlaps, it looks like poo poo, I need to redo it. I need strings. I need a good loving resource that's more specific than "leave slack" to learn from, too.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That is all you need to do. Honestly. After a few changes you'll have an idea how much slack you want to use. It doesn't have to be absolutely 100% perfect, you just may need to tune it more often as the strings settle.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
The sustain on my electric guitar seems to have suddenly dropped right off. Any obvious cause for this?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

You might need to adjust the truss rod or set your intonation. Are there any spots on the neck where sound cuts out completely if you bend?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Philthy posted:

That is all you need to do. Honestly. After a few changes you'll have an idea how much slack you want to use. It doesn't have to be absolutely 100% perfect, you just may need to tune it more often as the strings settle.

I posted this in CineD's chat thread to, but there's a problem with the way I'm leaving slack, because the few strings that I've managed to get on there have been in the wrong octave.

Like, low E and A? Those sound similar, but then I play the D (which was already on there) and it's a huge difference and doesn't sound right at all.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

David Pratt posted:

The sustain on my electric guitar seems to have suddenly dropped right off. Any obvious cause for this?

Have you changed your amplifier positioning, your own positioning in relation to your amplifier, your amplifier volume or your amplifier gain settings? If so, you may have lost 'the sweet spot' where your guitar interacts with your amp to create a really nice loopback sustain (that you might have gotten used to).

Are your strings fresh? I had one string that was totally not sustaining at all. It turns out that the winding on it, near my bridge, had actually slipped off and was just loosely hanging over the steel core, muffling the vibrations.

Are your frets all still in the right position? Are they all still seated properly in the wood?

Is the sustain 'good' anywhere, or just bad everywhere?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
When I did my first string change I noticed my D sounded flat or different. It was the intonation being off. Which is when I learned how to set intonation. Might be your issue, or maybe your winding really IS totally messed up. I just go one over, rest under. It's a PITA at first but you just end up doing it right over time like anything else on these things. Did you change string size or anything? Check the nut to make sure the strings are sitting properly, maybe add graphite to the strings there or nut sauce or whatever.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ honestly it shouldn't sound wildly different if your intonation's out, if your open strings are in tune they should sound fine until you start moving up the neck

Dickeye posted:

I posted this in CineD's chat thread to, but there's a problem with the way I'm leaving slack, because the few strings that I've managed to get on there have been in the wrong octave.

Like, low E and A? Those sound similar, but then I play the D (which was already on there) and it's a huge difference and doesn't sound right at all.

All you need to do when you're stringing it is pull the string taut, then let it out a couple of inches - I think someone said you should have enough slack to pull the string a finger's length away from the fretboard at the 12th fret, which is a good guideline.

As far as tuning it goes I don't think the slack should make a huge difference, unless you've left so much that the string can't physically wind around the peg enough (unlikely). Playing the A string at the 5th fret should be exactly the same as the open D string - if the D string is an octave higher then you'd have to play the A string at the 17th fret to get the same note, if it's an octave lower then the 7th fret of the D string should match the open A. Either way something is tuned too high or too low, you just need to retune those strings.

Here's a guide to how they should sound
http://www.pure-tone.com/catalog/cyberpitch_free_online_guitar_tuner.html

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 19, 2011