Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Anyone know where to find the AT&T factory installed ROM with all uninstallable bloatware for the Captivate? I've got an external speaker that works intermittently and am under warranty, just want to remove any traces of rooting/custom ROM flashing before I begin the process. I believe it was version 2.1.1 or 2.1-a or something like that. I am aware of and have used Odin, that is not what I am looking for.

edit: after some further research, it looks like Odin JH7 might be what I'm looking for, can someone confirm it's the exact same rom that was pushed OTA back in September, bloatware included?

edit2: I'm an idiot, Odin does have all the bloat. Don't know how I got it in my head that it didn't.

neato burrito fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Manos posted:

Does anyone know how long after the N1 came out that an official system image was made available? I'm getting rather curious about the NS and google's no ETA on providing an image.

They don't do official system images as far as I know. They did a ROM update when it came out, and they released the code to AOSP. Both of these have happened for the NS, but the NS is apparently buggy as poo poo with straight AOSP code (surprise, surprise) so it's not recommended you use it for dev at the moment.

:downs: Samsung :downs:

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
If you haven't already played with your LCD density, you should. It's it odd that our high-res screens have the same 4x4 grid layout as the earliest android phones?

There's a simple way to test screen densities without breaking out the ADB and build.prop - get an app called LCDDensity and get busy. I changed my default resolution from 240 to 200 on my G2, and now LPP's 5x5 grid works much better without loving up my widgets.

https://market.android.com/details?id=lv.n3o.lcddensity

Anyway, it's worth a shot. Some apps will look a little funny, but the real estate you gain on your homescreen is awesome.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Oh wow this is awesome. An LCD Density changing tool is included in the Liberty Toolbox that came with the Liberty ROM for my Droid X. I didn't realize how useful this was though. I, too, changed it from 240 to 200 and the "3G" icon and battery meter are a little blurry, but it really has opened up so much more room!

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Here's a comparison of the same 5x5 LPP screen with 240 (default) and 200 dpi.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Here's my 240 to 200 comparison. I use 10x10 in LPP, though.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

yamdankee posted:

Oh wow this is awesome. An LCD Density changing tool is included in the Liberty Toolbox that came with the Liberty ROM for my Droid X. I didn't realize how useful this was though. I, too, changed it from 240 to 200 and the "3G" icon and battery meter are a little blurry, but it really has opened up so much more room!
200 also works well with the HTC Desire, I can confirm.

Manos
Mar 1, 2004

Casao posted:

They don't do official system images as far as I know. They did a ROM update when it came out, and they released the code to AOSP. Both of these have happened for the NS, but the NS is apparently buggy as poo poo with straight AOSP code (surprise, surprise) so it's not recommended you use it for dev at the moment.

:downs: Samsung :downs:

Poorly worded on my part, it was HTC who has the system images available for the N1. The awesome thing for the NS now is that Samsung has everything pointing back to Google for software. The mobile phone developer type page Samsung just has them going "ummm GOOGLE!, go there and stop bothering us!".

According to http://groups.google.com/group/android-building/browse_thread/thread/298a46f6eaab8c39?pli=1, specifically the Feb 3rd posting by jbqueru, Google is still going WELP! and that just instills a whole heap of confidence on the situation.

:downs: indeed

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Is there an easy way to change the system font with CM7?

e: for those that have changed your lcd density, how are you getting your dock icons spread out? I'm using ADW EX, and they don't spread out evenly across the bottom.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 16, 2011

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ZShakespeare posted:

Is there an easy way to change the system font with CM7?

Root is needed *right thread so I assume no issue*..
TypeFresh will do it. Some font's don't work out all that great due to sizing.. so just keep that in mind. I actually think that the ubuntu fonts look great, if you search back you can find some screen shots from mine.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

haha, I thought I was in the desktop thread because of the screenshots above. I should be more careful. Fortunately it ends up being a root issue anyways. Thanks, that app is exactly what I needed.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The Segoe UI font is amazing with Android.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

big mean giraffe posted:

The Segoe UI font is amazing with Android.

How did you set it to be the default font?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Just use Typefresh (link is a few posts above yours)

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

dissss posted:

Just use Typefresh (link is a few posts above yours)

I was hoping to install the font and change a setting rather than installing another app but I'll give this a go. Thanks.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Builds available so far: Evo, Nexus One, MT4G

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Eagerly awaiting Desire Z build.

e: it's up!

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 16, 2011

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Skeezy posted:

Awesome, I just flashed the Evo image and, coming from a nightly build, I didn't even need to do a full wipe, which was nice. :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is GPS fixed on CM7 Evo yet? I want to try a non-Sense ROM but I use my phone as a GPS easily as much as I use it as a phone, if not more.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ugh the CM7 keyboard is being all slow and stuff. It's been that way for a while now.

Is there something up with the .37 kernel?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is GPS fixed on CM7 Evo yet? I want to try a non-Sense ROM but I use my phone as a GPS easily as much as I use it as a phone, if not more.

I think it's fixed already. Pretty sure.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Put RC1 on my G2, and all's well. I waited this long to even try CM7 because I was still happy with the 2.2 roms. Sadly, the MIUI dev that was feeding us roms every week or so discontinued his product since he switched to CM7 himself. I'm just hoping that 2.3 starts rolling out to the rest of the hobby roms now that it's getting solid.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

travisray2004 posted:

I was hoping to install the font and change a setting rather than installing another app but I'll give this a go. Thanks.

You can do it manually.
Replace the 3 fonts in /system/fonts/
Clockopia.ttf
DroidSans-Bold.ttf
DroidSans.ttf

Then verify the permissions. All in all, not really worth it since TypeFresh will do all of that for you, plus backup the orig font.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

IOwnCalculus posted:

Before you flash CM7, grab your MSL (check the Market for an app called MSL Reader) and go to the phone dialer. Dial ##GPSCLRX# and then put in your MSL when it asks for a password. Let your phone reboot back into your Sense ROM and then boot into recovery and wipe/flash as usual. Just clearing out those GPS settings seems to take care of it.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always
Here are two different issues I hope you guys can help me with that I am having in CM7 with my Evo that I have tried to fix myself but have been unable to solve.

1. The voicemail notification problem. I conditional call forward to my Google Voice number (*28), however I still see that phantom notification icon on the top left of my screen every day. It's obnoxious. I've tried to: dial into my voicemail to delete them through the call, turn off call forwarding and dial into voicemail to delete them all that way, reload into my old Sense ROM and delete all residual voicemails left over in the actual visual voicemail app, dial into voicemail while in my Sense ROM to make sure there are no remaining messages... everything. I still get that god drat voicemail notification and I want to rip out someone's eyeballs to satiate my unquenchable bloodlust.

2. Notification sounds. In Fresh (the Sense ROM I was using before this), only text messages gave me an alert ding when they happened. Now, I get the text notification sound for everything. Voicemail alert decide to pop back up? Ding. One of the several dozen gmail and exchange emails I receive a day? Ding. Text message? Ding. Everything dings, and all I give a drat about is SMS/MMS. How do I make that seem less annoying? Maybe fixed this by switching to handcent and configuring it to use a tone while disabling all other notification sounds on my phone. Horray :toot:

If it weren't for these two things I seriously would love my CM7 but I am being driven into madness with that voicemail icon that simultaneously loves to taunt me with dings every few hours that I can't erase.

george soros irl fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 16, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skeezy posted:

Not sure I'm seeing the logic behind making a wonky build a Release Candidate for the Nexus One.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

Civil posted:

If you haven't already played with your LCD density, you should. It's it odd that our high-res screens have the same 4x4 grid layout as the earliest android phones?

There's a simple way to test screen densities without breaking out the ADB and build.prop - get an app called LCDDensity and get busy. I changed my default resolution from 240 to 200 on my G2, and now LPP's 5x5 grid works much better without loving up my widgets.

https://market.android.com/details?id=lv.n3o.lcddensity

Anyway, it's worth a shot. Some apps will look a little funny, but the real estate you gain on your homescreen is awesome.

This is amazing and it gives me a good excuse to rearrange my homescreens (again)

Edit: unfortunately it doesn't persist across reboots and since I have to reboot my phone a lot (the android system file just goes mad and eats up 100% cpu till I reset, no idea why) I guess I cant use this.

Solly fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 16, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Solly posted:

This is amazing and it gives me a good excuse to rearrange my homescreens (again)

Edit: unfortunately it doesn't persist across reboots and since I have to reboot my phone a lot (the android system file just goes mad and eats up 100% cpu till I reset, no idea why) I guess I cant use this.
You have some problems if you're having issues like the CPU being pegged. Maybe it's time for a full wipe?

If you want it to persist, get to editing that build.prop.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

LastInLine posted:

You have some problems if you're having issues like the CPU being pegged. Maybe it's time for a full wipe?

If you want it to persist, get to editing that build.prop.

Or pay for the pro version, which persists across reboots.

And yeah, if your device is pegging CPU routinely, wipe, reflash, go hog wild - that's not how Android should behave.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Solly posted:

Yeah, you gotta do a build.prop edit to change this permanently and manually. This is a good way to quickly see the benefits.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I have to recommend a ROM for Galaxy Vibrant users, i've been using pepperkake for a few days now and of all the roms I have tried so far I like this one the most. Batterylife (imo) for me has been phenomenal.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
No idea what a build prop is, if I just wipe and reflash will that take care of it? Also you can flash the same rom twice yea? Its just radios that gently caress up if you double flash them

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Solly posted:

No idea what a build prop is, if I just wipe and reflash will that take care of it? Also you can flash the same rom twice yea? Its just radios that gently caress up if you double flash them

Build.prop is a file with some settings in it. I think it's in /system/ directly, but I can't remember for sure. I wouldn't recommend you mess with it, you seem to have bad luck with these things.

You can flash the same rom over top of itself as many times as you want.

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
build.prop is a config file that resides in /system/ on your phone You can edit it by rebooting into recovery and mounting /system/ from the mounts menu, then use DroidExplorer to grab the file, make the necessary edit and then copy it back.

I just use Font Changer (root) to alter the density, it requires S-OFF in order to work though.

E: I can walk you through anything relating to the Desire if you want, do you use Windows Live messenger or something similar? Saves flooding the thread that way :)

MrBishi fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 16, 2011

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

tehfox0r posted:

The voicemail notification problem.

That's a carrier issue that Sense works around somehow. This is the only solution I've ever heard of for it. Basically, you have to swap to another phone and then call to re-initialize your voice mail with it and then swap back to your regular phone (and possibly do a full wipe; I'm not sure).

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Solly posted:

Install adb on you computer. If you're in the rooted thread, hopefully you already have.

adb devices (hopefully this shows your phone - now we're ready to roll)

boot into Android
adb remount (makes files accessible)
adb pull /system/build.prop
It will pull build.prop to your computer in the location you launched adb from. Edit it in a text editor (not notepad - use pspad or something similar). For now, just change the density line from 240 (or whatever it is) to something lower. I set mine at 200. Save when you're done.

ro.sf.lcd_density=200

adb push build.prop /system/build.prop (re-pushes it over the old file)
adb reboot (reboots)

Hopefully this didn't gently caress up your system. Enjoy your extra real estate.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
How come the CM7 nightlies and release candidates don't have separate versions for CDMA and GSM phones? I thought they needed different roms - or is that only for the radio?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Civil posted:

Install adb on you computer. If you're in the rooted thread, hopefully you already have.

adb devices (hopefully this shows your phone - now we're ready to roll)

boot into Android
adb remount (makes files accessible)
adb pull /system/build.prop
It will pull build.prop to your computer in the location you launched adb from. Edit it in a text editor (not notepad - use pspad or something similar). For now, just change the density line from 240 (or whatever it is) to something lower. I set mine at 200. Save when you're done.

ro.sf.lcd_density=200

adb push build.prop /system/build.prop (re-pushes it over the old file)
adb reboot (reboots)

Hopefully this didn't gently caress up your system. Enjoy your extra real estate.

If you want to test it on the phone without making permanent changes, use this method:

quote:

Open Terminal Emulator from your phone or use adb shell from your computer:
type: setprop qemu.sf.lcd_density 200 (or 190,etc)
press enter.
type: busybox killall system_server
press enter.
it will reboot quickly with your new display. Just reboot and it'll go back to stock. Once you find something you like, you can edit the real build.prop file.

Ripped from here.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pissflaps posted:

How come the CM7 nightlies and release candidates don't have separate versions for CDMA and GSM phones? I thought they needed different roms - or is that only for the radio?

They do. Bravo is for the GSM and BravoC is for CDMA.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

fishmech posted:

They do. Bravo is for the GSM and BravoC is for CDMA.

That makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Is there a kernel for the G2/Desire Z focused on improved battery life rather than "OMG OC 12.6GHZ!"?