Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Defenestration posted:

But can we still have Sarah Palin Sucks bumper stickers?

Copyright them so Sarah Palin can't use her own name without getting sued

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Life
Feb 25, 2010

by angerbot
Can you guys post more depressing lawyer and law student stories? For some reason I find them really interesting. More along the lines of how a lot of people want to work at the very northern tip of Alaska!

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Daily Life posted:

Can you guys post more depressing lawyer and law student stories? For some reason I find them really interesting. More along the lines of how a lot of people want to work at the very northern tip of Alaska!

Don't worry with the amount of people that avoid the thread's advice, more and more of these stories will inevitably occur

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
It's kind of nice to know we have an unseen audience reveling in our misery.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Daily Life posted:

today my manager at my first minimum wage job asked me "didn't you go to law school?"

later that night my second minimum wage manager asked "so weren't you in law school?"

TIER ONE

Ganon
May 24, 2003

atlas of bugs posted:

today my manager at my first minimum wage job asked me "didn't you go to law school?"

later that night my second minimum wage manager asked "so weren't you in law school?"

TIER ONE

Location New Orleans
Occupation Failure

:smith:

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Today I made my boss look drat good with a mover and shaker in the local legal community by 1. my awesome work product and 2. knowing about one crucial detail previously overlooked in 1200 pages of disco. He remarked:

:smug: My secretary went to law school, you know.

:suicide:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I just found out one of my best friends from law school is interviewing for the same job as me tomorrow. His interview is right before mine.

There Can Be Only One.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Save me jeebus posted:

Today I made my boss look drat good with a mover and shaker in the local legal community by 1. my awesome work product and 2. knowing about one crucial detail previously overlooked in 1200 pages of disco. He remarked:

:suicide:

I was given one day to write a MSJ response to defend a claim I recommended against filing because of the crushing precedent. The other attorney on the case kicked it over to me because he declared it hopeless. I did some legal voodoo and actually made a distinction that would survive summary judgment. Doing so required multiple phone calls between attorneys and the client and myself and a lot of swearing.

Today I get an e-mail that said "Yeah we had the other attorney do it, sorry Captainscraps."

...gently caress.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Defleshed posted:

It's kind of nice to know we have an unseen audience reveling in our misery.

I consider myself one of those unseen watchers. Its like a train wreck in slow motion.

Speaking of which: "Can a Computer Do a Lawyer's Job?"

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/02/can-a-computer-do-a-lawyers-job/71238/

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

...gently caress.

:smith::hf::smith:

The other day my husband finally admitted that I had "made a smart career move by dropping out of law school."

e: still not as smart as not going in the first place.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

plester1 posted:

Speaking of which: "Can a Computer Do a Lawyer's Job?"

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/02/can-a-computer-do-a-lawyers-job/71238/

Maybe but I bet I am better than a computer at drinking too much and making strangers feel awkward

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

entris posted:

Hey Petey your thread about Anonymous and HBwhatever has raised an interesting issue: Apparently some people have gotten the impression that Hunton & Williams is involved in some sort of nefarious activity?

I think it would be really interesting if Anonymous sent a collection of documents to various state bars where the H&W partners are located - would Anonymous be able to cause disciplinary proceedings for lawyers?

Maybe, but I know nothing about any of this so I'm probably not the person to suggest it to.

e: for those of you who don't know what entris is talking about, there has been a huge dramabomb wherein:

• some idiot infantile CEO of a lovely cybersecurity company tried to "crack" Anonymous and got all his poo poo hosed up digitally in retaliation
  • said poo poo getting hosed up including anonymous leaking all corporate emails for the company
  • those emails revealed that hunton and williams had contracted this firm to engage in covert cyberpolitical warfare against a bunch of progressive organization and to stalk and intimidate individual members of their families, allegedly at the behest of their corporate clients, including Bank of America, Koch Industries, and the Chamber of Commerce
  • here is a list of the H&W partners involved; here is a breakdown by glenn greenwald, one of the individuals specifically targeted in the leaked emails.

Petey fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 16, 2011

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Daily Life posted:

Today I drove 70 miles to spend the day doing nothing but looking at documents, then drove 70 miles home. All to make less than 1/2 of what I made in the Army! So for 3 years of law school I cut my income by around 60% and multiplied my debt by 6.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Save me jeebus posted:

So hey, there's jobs out there

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Petey posted:

Maybe, but I know nothing about any of this so I'm probably not the person to suggest it to.

e: for those of you who don't know what entris is talking about, there has been a huge dramabomb wherein:

• some idiot infantile CEO of a lovely cybersecurity company tried to "crack" Anonymous and got all his poo poo hosed up digitally in retaliation
  • said poo poo getting hosed up including anonymous leaking all corporate emails for the company
  • those emails revealed that hunton and williams had contracted this firm to engage in covert cyberpolitical warfare against a bunch of progressive organization and to stalk and intimidate individual members of their families, allegedly at the behest of their corporate clients, including Bank of America, Koch Industries, and the Chamber of Commerce
  • here is a list of the H&W partners involved; here is a breakdown by glenn greenwald, one of the individuals specifically targeted in the leaked emails.

this is awesome and maybe it would matter if anyone in america read more than 140 characters at a time

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

If it was Monday instead of Tuesday, I would probably have committed suicide today. But instead of having to wait 4 more days for a weekend that I'll most likely spend working through, I only have to wait 3 more.

Bullet: dodged.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

So hey, there's jobs out there
It helps to have a nice rack and a dirty old man boss. Saving his rear end is just the icing.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Save me jeebus posted:

It helps to have a nice rack and a dirty old man boss. Saving his rear end is just the icing.

I liked your posts better when they were taco chat, not this depressing actual law firm stuff

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I made the mistake of not sneaking out at 6 pm on Valentine's day. Instead I said "Goodbye" to my boss. Despite the fact that almost everyone else in the office had either not come in, or had left by 4 pm, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be punished for my insolence, as evidenced by my 14 hour day today.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Save me jeebus posted:

one of my law school classmates now works at hooters full time

your boy hosed her

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Morgan sends probe team to infiltrate Data Angels, has tech stolen in return.

Re: the PR question -- it would seem to be an issue of identifying which attorneys are suspected of unethical conduct. Then determine in what states they're admitted, and follow that state's procedure for requesting an investigation.

Of course "requesting an investigation" may or may not be what was meant by "cause disciplinary proceedings."

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

i81icu812 posted:

I liked your posts better when they were taco chat, not this depressing actual law firm stuff

In other news, thanks for reminding me to talk with our family/employment law guy (who also sits a bunch of committees on downtown biz development and whatnot) about getting a vending license for my taco cart. We're hoping to do weekend/drunk food work. Very few of the downtown bars/restaurants serve food at appropriate drunk hours. Those that do are overpriced as all hell. I figure tacos and sopa de lima. Or my new invention: Mexican cassoulet. (Cassoulet makes it sound fancier than "chorizo and bean stew.")

atlas of bugs posted:

one of my law school classmates now works at hooters full time

your boy hosed her

He spends most of his lunch breaks with his best buddy/PI at the "gentleman's" club. He's much too good for Hooters. :colbert:

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

cerebral posted:

Despite the fact that almost everyone else in the office had either not come in, or had left by 4 pm

People actually take off for Valentine's Day? Even junior associates? That would not fly at either firm I've worked at.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

HooKars posted:

People actually take off for Valentine's Day? Even junior associates? That would not fly at either firm I've worked at.

No, everyone either mysteriously disappeared, not to return until the next day, or called in sick. A few of the senior partners came in and announced their plans to take a half day and bailed after spending roughly 2 hours in the office.

These people don't take court holidays off, but bail on Valentine's day, and I'm the rear end in a top hat for being the second to last man out of the office.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Daily Life posted:

Good law school (T20ish)
Admitted to two bars
Worked at PD and prosecutors offices in law school. Like all of law school with actual trial experience.
Have volunteered at PD's offices for like a year, full time with jury trials, winning 1538s and motions, getting cases dismissed.
Applied for like 50 jobs on governmentjobs.com (does not include USAjobs, private jobs, places that don't use that system)
Only job I've had since the summer of my 2L year was 2 months with the census. :smithicide:

BUT
No debt motherfuckers. :smugbert:

Lesson: Get a free ride! (Don't go to law school)

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

HooKars posted:

Thank you for reminding me that my job, which lets me take off almost whenever I want to, is objectively better than working at a law firm.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Haha who the gently caress lets their employees take off for a Hallmark holiday.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

MaximumBob posted:

Thank you for reminding me that my job, which lets me take off almost whenever I want to, is objectively better than working at a law firm.

Ditto.

Like I said, hookars - higher ed admin.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My company handed out sunflowers to all of the employees on valentine's day. It was a nice sentiment, don't get me wrong, but I don't know anything about taking care of plants so now I have this stupid droopy sunflower sitting in a dasani bottle that I don't look at very often that's probably going to die and make me feel bad.

Though that is kind of the spirit of that holiday for me so I guess I've decided I like the flower after all

Flowers can do photosynthesis or whatever with fluorescent lights, right?

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Ainsley McTree posted:

My company handed out sunflowers to all of the employees on valentine's day. It was a nice sentiment, don't get me wrong, but I don't know anything about taking care of plants so now I have this stupid droopy sunflower sitting in a dasani bottle that I don't look at very often that's probably going to die and make me feel bad.

Though that is kind of the spirit of that holiday for me so I guess I've decided I like the flower after all

Flowers can do photosynthesis or whatever with fluorescent lights, right?

jesus christ ainsley

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

atlas of bugs posted:

jesus christ ainsley

Can't a guy not know anything about flowers without being judged, come on

Do you have to change their water? Do they poop?

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can't a guy not know anything about flowers without being judged, come on

Do you have to change their water? Do they poop?

I was less depressing when I was homeless

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

i81icu812 posted:

I billed 14.1 hours today, but my wife is awesome so there were tacos waiting for me in the fridge when I got home. Taco chat.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ersatz posted:

I billed 14.1 hours today, but my wife is awesome so there were tacos waiting for me in the fridge when I got home. Taco chat.
Taco!
I live in a city with a large hispanic population (less than 50% gringo) with a number of excellent taco shops/carts/holes-in-the-wall. And yet, there is not one decent taco place within walking distance of my downtown office.
What the hell?
I think its the rent (Too drat high)

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
I'm moving from the west coast to the east coast for law school. What is my taco situation? I love authentic tacos and real taco carts, how hosed I am in the taco department in the Boston area?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

I'm moving from the west coast to the east coast for law school. What is my taco situation? I love authentic tacos and real taco carts, how hosed I am in the taco department in the Boston area?

Anna's.

You're gonna be fine.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Daily Life posted:

This is what I what I dealt with today and will be dealing with for the next several days:

Step 1: crazy rear end in a top hat gets fired from their menial state job for being a crazy rear end in a top hat.

Step 2: crazy rear end in a top hat hires the goddawful worst lawyer in town to sue everyone on earth for discrimination because crazy rear end in a top hat is "disabled" because he lost his toe to frostbite in 1996 or some stupid poo poo.

Step 3: goddawful lawyer files the discrimination lawsuit, then realizes his client is loving nuts so just straight-up dumps said client.

Step 4: goddawful lawyer gets disbarred for dumping this crazy rear end in a top hat (and yelling at a judge when he got picked up on a DUI or something and a few other things)

Step 5: crazy rear end in a top hat files a malpractice lawsuit, pro se, and files one singular pleading that is two goddamn volumes of his crazy loving rants, totaling 200 pages of 1.5 space rambling plus a few hundred pages of "exhibits." Goddawful ex-lawyer doesn't respond.

Step 6: Judge laughs and hands me the file and I want to kill myself.

I also am in the middle of dealing with a guy who gave himself a homepathic oxygenizing enema to deal with bleach ingestion (I poo poo you not) and some ditz who wracked up $300k in acupuncture bills.

Actually all things considered I love my awesome job.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 16, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

Anna's.

You're gonna be fine.
Are you from or lived for more than 3 years in a state bordering Mexico?
Because all the recommendations I get in the NE for tacos haven't panned out. Even from people who fit the above description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

nm posted:

Are you from or lived for more than 3 years in a state bordering Mexico?
Because all the recommendations I get in the NE for tacos haven't panned out. Even from people who fit the above description.

To be fair, no. My ethnic group also isn't big on tacos. Pulled pork for life.