Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.
Which idea/story came first? The story that the reason Darth Revan returned from the Outer Rim in KOTOR was to prepare it from the invasion of the "True Sith" empire, or Palpatine overthrowing the Republic so he could prepare the universe against the invasion from the Vong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Donkey Kunt posted:

Which idea/story came first? The story that the reason Darth Revan returned from the Outer Rim in KOTOR was to prepare it from the invasion of the "True Sith" empire, or Palpatine overthrowing the Republic so he could prepare the universe against the invasion from the Vong?

I'm thinking KotoR II came out in 2004 and Outbound Flight was 2005? So probably Revan, though to be fair to Zahn, I don't recall anything in Outbound Flight that actually showed the Vong thing was more than a pretext he used to recruit Thrawn.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
There was a mention of it before Outbound Flight (which I haven't read) wasn't there? Hand of Thrawn duology, or maybe Truce at Bakura having a similar idea?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

KaosFactor posted:

There was a mention of it before Outbound Flight (which I haven't read) wasn't there? Hand of Thrawn duology, or maybe Truce at Bakura having a similar idea?

Yeah, it came up in the Hand of Thrawn duology. Not sure I love the entire plot of the movies being background for a series of books I didn't even think were all that good, but it was mentioned in those two books that at least Thrawn was preparing the galaxy for an invasion from some outer force. I think it might have been mentioned that Palpatine was aware of it, too, but I could be wrong.

I know it was mentioned before Outbound Flight in 2005, though, because I knew of it before then.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought it made the entire Rebel Alliance idiocy have a certain farcial aspect. The Empire would have presumably skull-hosed the Vong (if with heavy losses).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
When was it ever mentioned that Palpatine wanted to take control of the galaxy to face the Vong? As far as I know Palps, while aware of the Vong's existance, had no concept of the threat they really were. It was Thrawn, after Palp died, that did his poo poo with the goal of preparing for the Vong.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, it came up in the Hand of Thrawn duology. Not sure I love the entire plot of the movies being background for a series of books I didn't even think were all that good, but it was mentioned in those two books that at least Thrawn was preparing the galaxy for an invasion from some outer force. I think it might have been mentioned that Palpatine was aware of it, too, but I could be wrong.

I don't think the idea in the HoT duology was of Thrawn preparing for a galactic invasion, just that there were tons of insanely dangerous things in the Unknown Regions and Thrawn wanted to be prepared in case everything went to poo poo.

quote:

"There are a hundred different threats out there that would freeze your blood if you knew about them. The ruling families can't stop them; neither can any other power in the region. If our people are to be protected, it's up to us."
No specific extra-galactic Space Aztecs mentioned - just a lot of weird poo poo.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thrawn was preparing the galaxy for the threat of bug orgies

But I thought it was blatantly obvious in Outbound Flight that it was the Vong they were talking about. It might have even been wookiepedia which expounded on it, Palps not wanting a modern warship filled with Jedi to stumble across some Vong staging point/beach head and get captured and studied.

quote:

The Empire would have presumably skull-hosed the Vong (if with heavy losses).

Yes they would have but then NJO fans would just counter with the "but the Vong couldn't be countered through traditional means!!!!" argument which I found to be the most :rolleyes: aspect of that god-awful series.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 16, 2011

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He was going to kill the Solo kids for their own good.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Casimir Radon posted:

He was going to kill the Solo kids for their own good.

"Ah Han, a pleasure that you can join us"
"Yeah, charmed"
"I've been studying your Falcon, your piece of art if you may. Do you want to know what I discovered?"
"Yeah sure lay it on me I'm all ears"
"...your daughter is going to grow up and join a giant bug-orgy"
"Oh god she's with Leia on Coruscant right now here are the keys to my apartment!"

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

WhyteRyce posted:

Yes they would have but then NJO fans would just counter with the "but the Vong couldn't be countered through traditional means!!!!" argument which I found to be the most :rolleyes: aspect of that god-awful series.
I love the NJO and I agree that the Empire would've mobilized at the first threat and completely exterminated them before they got anywhere near Coruscant.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Duckula posted:

This would be quite funny. I'm sure we could cobble it together if it doesn't already exist.

It sort of does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhdk0YOrVCg

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

NGL posted:

There's essentially 2 hypotheses for why she didn't appear in Ep2:

2. Michonne Bourriague (the actress model who played Aurra Sing) was busted (allegedly) for cocaine possession in Switzerland around the time principle photography began and was unavailable.

This I could believe, as Lucas probably learned his lesson with trying to work with cokeheads after Carrie Fisher spent the next 20 years after A New Hope completely stoned out of her mind.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

http://superpunch.blogspot.com/2011...t=Google+Reader
So apparently Darth Revan was supposed to make a cameo in a recent Clone Wars cartoon and it got cut. Thought it was mildly interesting.

What...the...hell...

EDIT: So reading more, both Revan and Bane were going to appear, but Lucas forced the scene to be cut because he didn't want them to be Force ghosts or something. Thanks again Lucas!

Also, people who get upset about the whole "Palpatine took over the galaxy to defend it from the Yuuzhan Vong" thing I think make too big a deal out of it. For one, Palpatine only learns about the Vong long after he's already set his plan in motion (I mean, by Outbound Flight he's already manipulated his way to become Chancellor, got Maul and then Dooku as his apprentice, and begun preparing the clone army and separatist crisis). Second, there's nothing that looks inside Palpatine's head and definitively states that he was soley motivated by that overriding factor. It's just one of many justifications he made to various people to explain why he had to become a kindly old benevolent ruler, when really power for its own sake was his only aim.

Actually even before Outbound Flight I think the whole Palpatine vs. Vong thing came from some sourcebook which briefly mentioned the threat of extra-galactic invasion was one of the justifications the Empire had to maintain a massive military after the Clone Wars, and it was depicted as being more a blatantly bald-faced excuse to justify a massive military than it was a legitimate excuse.

I do think however that Outbound Flight heavily implies that Thrawn and the Chiss manipulated his whole 'exile' just so he could join the Empire to take command of its forces to fight the Vong invasion, which I find interesting seeing as Zahn has always very publicly disliked the NJO.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 16, 2011

DrWhom
Jul 16, 2010

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I love the NJO and I agree that the Empire would've mobilized at the first threat and completely exterminated them before they got anywhere near Coruscant.

What the Empire would have done is build a supercolossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing Battle Machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done. - Han Solo

I'm not trying to be an NJO apologist or anything, but I really did love this part.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Chairman Capone posted:

I do think however that Outbound Flight heavily implies that Thrawn and the Chiss manipulated his whole 'exile' just so he could join the Empire to take command of its forces to fight the Vong invasion, which I find interesting seeing as Zahn has always very publicly disliked the NJO.

That's simply Zahn saying "Ok, I hate it, but its there. Now here's how you asshats should have handled it."

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

DrWhom posted:

What the Empire would have done is build a supercolossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing Battle Machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done. - Han Solo

I'm not trying to be an NJO apologist or anything, but I really did love this part.

Which EU author wrote that? It sounds like a Take That to KJA.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Slantedfloors posted:

I don't think the idea in the HoT duology was of Thrawn preparing for a galactic invasion, just that there were tons of insanely dangerous things in the Unknown Regions and Thrawn wanted to be prepared in case everything went to poo poo.

No specific extra-galactic Space Aztecs mentioned - just a lot of weird poo poo.

As I remember Thrawn is okay with Outbound Flight exiting the galaxy from a different place, which to me suggested that he knew of something specific which was lurking beyond Chiss space. Or he's just a giant rear end in a top hat who doesn't mind everyone else getting their poo poo hosed as long as it doesn't affect his turf.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DrWhom posted:

Make Death Star II II and it has no flaws and can gently caress up Vong erry day :frog:

Did he say this before or after his child got killed?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Nessus posted:

Make Death Star II II and it has no flaws and can gently caress up Vong erry day :frog:

He said this after in one of the Force Heretic books.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Nessus posted:

In all fairness the Vong's government and military capacity early in the war was based on gigantic nigh-immovable Asteroid-ships, so even an Endor-type battle where the hypothethical DS2-2 cranked out a few shots at the Worldships before getting blown up would probably cripple them.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Nessus posted:

The ability to be sucked into a black hole because it's terribly slow and unmaneuverable is probably a flaw.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Slantedfloors posted:

In all fairness the Vong's government and military capacity early in the war was based on gigantic nigh-immovable Asteroid-ships, so even an Endor-type battle where the hypothethical DS2-2 cranked out a few shots at the Worldships before getting blown up would probably cripple them.

I accept this because being weird space Brits this kind of bad luck has to come with the territory with being the Empire.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When was it ever mentioned that Palpatine wanted to take control of the galaxy to face the Vong? As far as I know Palps, while aware of the Vong's existance, had no concept of the threat they really were. It was Thrawn, after Palp died, that did his poo poo with the goal of preparing for the Vong.

Wait wait wait. They actually concocted some altruistic motive for all of Palpatine's poo poo?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Joe Don Baker posted:

Wait wait wait. They actually concocted some altruistic motive for all of Palpatine's poo poo?

Admittedly it's EU so it's not really canon like the movies, but does it make you that angry that a "bad guy" might have actually had a good goal despite the actions he took to acquire it? Hell that's like Vader with his good intentions being the source of his fall...if the PT were written better.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Fox of Stone posted:

Admittedly it's EU so it's not really canon like the movies, but does it make you that angry that a "bad guy" might have actually had a good goal despite the actions he took to acquire it? Hell that's like Vader with his good intentions being the source of his fall...if the PT were written better.

I'm not angry at all. It's dumb to get angry at EU stuff. I'm just surprised. Palpatine (at least in the movies) was evil just for the sake of being evil. Even in the Journal of the Whills bullshit in the ANH novel, it pretty much said Palpatine was an evil motherfucker just because he is.

At least in ESB they started offering ideas as to what made Vader tick.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Joe Don Baker posted:

I'm not angry at all. It's dumb to get angry at EU stuff. I'm just surprised. Palpatine (at least in the movies) was evil just for the sake of being evil. Even in the Journal of the Whills bullshit in the ANH novel, it pretty much said Palpatine was an evil motherfucker just because he is.

At least in ESB they started offering ideas as to what made Vader tick.

But dramatically speaking every villain believes he is good from their own perspective, including Ol'Palps. Bring order and security to the Galaxy is a noble and righteous goal.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Fox of Stone posted:

On general principle, it wouldn't make me angry. Such a motive would usually add depth to the character if done well. For Palpatine, the motive is tacked on long after the fact and doesn't mesh with anything we've seen of him. He was the great dictator and a corrupter of good men. His driving motive has always been power, pure and simple. Making him suddenly sympathetic doesn't fit with the tone of the original trilogy one bit.

TheBigBad posted:

But dramatically speaking every villain believes he is good from their own perspective, including Ol'Palps. Bring order and security to the Galaxy is a noble and righteous goal.

Good from Palpatine's perspective is whatever's good for Palpatine. Order and security are tools of control, not ends unto themselves.

Astribulus fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 16, 2011

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

TheBigBad posted:

That was the line of bullshit he fed the Senate, but as Astribulus said, he was just a power hungry dude. Anyway the only thing worse than the EU is arguing about it.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
I don't think the idea of Palpatine creating the Empire to deal with the Vong was intended to make him sympathetic. It was to show the horrifically selfish loving drive he had, being willing to kill trillions of people and build a brutal galaxy-spanning Empire, just to ensure that in 60 years some BDSM-Aztecs wouldn't be able to gently caress with his plans to live forever.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 16, 2011

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Joe Don Baker posted:

That was the line of bullshit he fed the Senate, but as Astribulus said, he was just a power hungry dude. Anyway the only thing worse than the EU is arguing about it.

Someone has been goofing around at Toshi Station with his Liber... Rebel friends too much.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

TheBigBad posted:

And the quest to find a planet of pot/look exactly like a young David Bowie too.

DrWhom
Jul 16, 2010

Mooktastical posted:

Which EU author wrote that? It sounds like a Take That to KJA.

It was Walter Jon Williams, the book being Destiny's Way. Apparently it's the only Star Wars novel he's ever written, I guess most of their regulars were feeling pretty burnt out during the marathon that was the NJO. Bonus picture:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Slantedfloors posted:

I don't think the idea of Palpatine creating the Empire to deal with the Vong was intended to make him sympathetic. It was to show the horrifically selfish loving drive he had, being willing to kill trillions of people and build a brutal galaxy-spanning Empire, just to ensure that in 60 years some BDSM-Aztecs wouldn't be able to gently caress with his plans to live forever.
Yeah, I've always interpreted his concern for whatever was lurking out there in the Unknown Regions/beyond the edge of the galaxy to be motivated by self-preservation (and preservation of his (future) Empire), rather than any altruistic desire to protect the inhabitants of known space.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DrWhom posted:

It was Walter Jon Williams, the book being Destiny's Way. Apparently it's the only Star Wars novel he's ever written, I guess most of their regulars were feeling pretty burnt out during the marathon that was the NJO. Bonus picture:

Like Zahn he's an actually good author.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Palpatine publically justified the massive increase in military expansion after the Clone Wars were over by claiming that they were to be used to combat any potential extra-galactic threat. However, I don't think that he actually believed any such threat existed, it was obviously just a lie to allow him to increase his evil stranglehold over the galaxy. Like I said, he knew about the Vong's existence but did not, at all, know the true capacity of their threat. I don't think he actually considered them at all with any of his plans. And as previously stated, even if he did know of the Vong threat his plans to protect his empire were all based off his own selfish evil to stay in charge, not to actually protect the galaxy.

Thrawn on the other hand, without a doubt, had the Vong threat in mind for his own plans.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 17, 2011

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

"There are a hundred different threats out there that would freeze your blood if you knew about them. The ruling families can't stop them; neither can any other power in the region. If our people are to be protected, it's up to us."

Yeah, as someone who read that back in the day, just from the way it was phrased and the way the EU had treated things a dozen years ago (pre-NJO), it sounded like that was just more of the same brushfire threats the Bantam books always had. Ssi-Ruuk, Yevetha, etc.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Yeah, as someone who read that back in the day, just from the way it was phrased and the way the EU had treated things a dozen years ago (pre-NJO), it sounded like that was just more of the same brushfire threats the Bantam books always had. Ssi-Ruuk, Yevetha, etc.

NJO did a lot of good to get out of the "Minor alien threat/doomsday weapon of the week" routine. But unforunatly it just inspired the "BIGGER/MORE INTENSE" routine of the year with each sucessive series.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Tobaccrow posted:

It sort of does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhdk0YOrVCg

This is kind of annoying for me. It's very well done, it's just that I think I may have given TPM an easy ride over things like midichlorians, which I reasoned might be a result of Force-sensitivity rather than the cause, which that seems to contradict. I've also not watched Revenge of the Sith since it was in the cinema, and that brought back some of the big problems with it.

I need to get another The Clone Wars box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

NJO did a lot of good to get out of the "Minor alien threat/doomsday weapon of the week" routine. But unforunatly it just inspired the "BIGGER/MORE INTENSE" routine of the year with each sucessive series.

NJO removed the "Minor alien threat/doomsday weapon of the week" routine and replaced it with a "Major Vong threat/Vong doomsday weapon of the week" routine.