Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Dr Rotcod posted:

The idea behind that is to reduce the chance of everything crashing. There would be plugins for keyboards, NI Battery, and NI Guitar Rig all running at the same time and switching through patches. Would one laptop be able to handle all of that? Is three laptops even trickier possibly?

Is guitar rig essential? Hypothetically if you didnt need automated patch switching you could do away with it and use a traditional guitar setup. OR, if you had an external amp sim (pod pro, axeFX) ableton could just do the switching for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Dr Rotcod posted:

I appreciate all of the replies on using Live with a 3 piece band. What's the consensus on a good audio interface with 8 inputs(preferably at least 4 preamps included)for a live show? As far as optimizing a Macbook Pro, I'd imagine solid state drives and maxing out the RAM are good ideas. Anything else?

Any cool simple flowcharting software that could help me plan this all out?

I use the konnekt 48D with my band on a macbook pro and have 0 complaints. Running very low latencies with realtime effects sequenced on all mics.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

edit : Posted in the interface thread instead.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Ableton is running another sale right now. I'm upgrading from Lite to Live 8 for $250.00. I'm super psyched. I'm also looking for the best (best free, maybe) Mac VST that will do about the same thing as Illformed's Glitch:

http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

Buying a new system and specs on the Ableton website are a little lean. Will Ableton run on 64 bit win7 quad core AMD?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Rivethead posted:

Buying a new system and specs on the Ableton website are a little lean. Will Ableton run on 64 bit win7 quad core AMD?

Yes.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

a foolish pianist posted:

Ableton is running another sale right now. I'm upgrading from Lite to Live 8 for $250.00. I'm super psyched. I'm also looking for the best (best free, maybe) Mac VST that will do about the same thing as Illformed's Glitch:

The obvious answer is izotope's Stutter Edit, which just came out. Definitely not free, but I personally found it much easier to use and more musical than Glitch (or Lucifer, for that matter). That said, it seems like it would take a little programing to get it to not sound canned, but that's not unusual.

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

kaptainkaffeine posted:

The obvious answer is izotope's Stutter Edit, which just came out. Definitely not free, but I personally found it much easier to use and more musical than Glitch (or Lucifer, for that matter). That said, it seems like it would take a little programing to get it to not sound canned, but that's not unusual.

Suppatrigger is a good low tech free but somewhat generic offering. No frills and low CPU usage make this one of my favorites.

http://bram.smartelectronix.com/

They are the dame dudes that made Hammerhead Rhythm Station back in the day.

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

Twiin posted:

Yes.

Are VSTs 32bit or 64bit dependent?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Differs from plugin to plugin. Most of the ones I have are 32bit, so my host has to be 32bit also, even on a 64bit system.

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

wayfinder posted:

Differs from plugin to plugin. Most of the ones I have are 32bit, so my host has to be 32bit also, even on a 64bit system.

That sucks. I need to buy a new computer and everything is loving 64 bit. It would be nice if there were an option when setting up the computer the first time.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Well it's not a problem installing 32bit apps on 64bit windows. It just won't have more than 4GB ram available...

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Yeah, Ableton is 32-bit, it runs fine on a 64-bit OS.

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

I understand that. I was just curious about all the little useful freeware VSTs I've collected that amount to nothing more than a single .dll file I drop into the vst dir.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not sure what the problem is then? 32Bit VSTs work with 32Bit hosts, so if they're working with what you have now they're gonna work with what you're gonna get...

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I use a ton of free 32 bit VSTs in Win7 64bit and Snow Leopard with no problems.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Any recommendations for free distortion VSTs? I miss Reason's Scream 4.

shchmue
Apr 22, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

http://www.sugar-bytes.com/content/products/Effectrix/index.php is my favorite, a little more user-friendly and have had an easier time with the MIDI mapping than with glitch.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn

Popcorn posted:

what kind of distortion? i personally love ableton's bit crusher, i use it all of the time

Sevyplates
Jan 7, 2006

Popcorn posted:

I don't use it but know a lot of people who swear by CamelCrusher http://www.camelaudio.com/camelcrusher.php

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I checked the first couple pages and couldn't find anything on this. I'm thinking about getting an Ableton controller. The Novation Launchpad and the Akai APC20 are both under $150, but I'm not sure which one to get. Both look good, and googling "Akai APC20 or Novation Launchpad" gives me a bunch of non-answers. I already have all three of the Korg nano series, if the lack of dedicated mixer stuff on the Launchpad is a big deal. So, what's the better choice? I'm leaning slightly towards the launchpad right now because I can impulse buy it today if I want, Guitar Center's price is near Amazon's.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn

Chainclaw posted:

I checked the first couple pages and couldn't find anything on this. I'm thinking about getting an Ableton controller. The Novation Launchpad and the Akai APC20 are both under $150, but I'm not sure which one to get. Both look good, and googling "Akai APC20 or Novation Launchpad" gives me a bunch of non-answers. I already have all three of the Korg nano series, if the lack of dedicated mixer stuff on the Launchpad is a big deal. So, what's the better choice? I'm leaning slightly towards the launchpad right now because I can impulse buy it today if I want, Guitar Center's price is near Amazon's.

depends on what exactly you're using it for, really. i personally love the build of akai products, which led me to buy an apc20. it's durable, well designed, and works great so far.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

LouietheCuban posted:

depends on what exactly you're using it for, really. i personally love the build of akai products, which led me to buy an apc20. it's durable, well designed, and works great so far.

When I got in the store, I ended up not really digging either controller and ended up buying a microKORG instead, which I am absolutely loving.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I'm still on version 6. It kinda sucks because I can't use Complex warp mode on OSX 10.6 without crashing Live. (This is a known issue, and there is no fix AFAIK :() Should I bite the bullet and just get the upgrade, or continue to wait for version 9? The only things I would upgrade for would be the sidechaining in the compressor, external instrument/effect plugs, the new warping, and possibly the Bridge.

I guess I'm just trying to justify spending the $200 if 9 is slated to come out soon. I don't really think it is honestly. SOMEONE TELL ME TO UPGRADE ALREADY. I think I've saved up enough in my change jar.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

On the one hand, new Live versions have been introduced at Winter NAMM (which happened last month) for a few years now, and they're still updating 8 with new stuff. But it's been on sale a few times recently, and 8 did come out a couple of years ago now, so it might be worth waiting until Summer NAMM to see.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Chainclaw posted:

I've got the Launchpad, and I really like it. It makes performing tons and tons easier. I've never used the Akai, though, so I can't speak to that.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
Ok. I'm pretty new to all things MIDI. I'm putting together a sort of live hip hop thing where I will be playing drums. I would also like to run pre written loops that I trigger as the song progresses. I want to avoid completely pre recorded arrangements, as I want to leave room for improv and what not. So for instance I would hit a button to cue the verse loop then hit another to cue the chorus. I wouldn't need to record on the fly, but that would be nice.

My question is what would I need to achieve this, and how would you set this up in live? Right now I've got live 8 on my laptop and I'm running the akai lpk25 usb midi keyboard. So I would assume I would need a proper midi interface and a beefy foot switch of some kind that can stand that abuse of me stomping on it. Would I write the loops all on the same project in live and somehow tell the foot switch to play from a given position? Would I be able to make it play me a click in my headphones, but not in the mix?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Get something like a behringer FCB1010 controller, and assign the buttons to scenes in the session view of live. Then set up each scene as a different part of the song (verse, chorus, break, etc).

For the headphones, your interface needs to either have four outputs, or treat the headphone out as output 3/4. Then you can send the main mix to those outputs, as well as the click track, and then outputs 1/2 will be everything but the click.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Is there a way to slice/divide audio and midi files in Live like you can in Cubase?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Popcorn posted:

Is there a way to slice/divide audio and midi files in Live like you can in Cubase?

I don't know how it works in cubase but in Live, you can select a range and hit ctrl-E and it'll be a separate clip. ctrl-J consolidates a range into a single clip. you can also just sleect and drag/ctrl-drag stuff

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

wayfinder posted:

I don't know how it works in cubase but in Live, you can select a range and hit ctrl-E and it'll be a separate clip. ctrl-J consolidates a range into a single clip. you can also just sleect and drag/ctrl-drag stuff

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

kind of a weird question: has anyone here ever had the vertical line that scrolls when playing (playback cursor i guess) disappear? Mine's gone and my playback control has disappeared.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

dolphins are gay posted:

kind of a weird question: has anyone here ever had the vertical line that scrolls when playing (playback cursor i guess) disappear? Mine's gone and my playback control has disappeared.

You got the special 4th dimensional version of Live. Congratulations escaping the fishtank, we are all swimming in!

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
a few weeks ago i found out about User Remote Scripts and Live's instruments and effects became a lot more usable for sound creation

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Rkelly posted:

You got the special 4th dimensional version of Live. Congratulations escaping the fishtank, we are all swimming in!

I think it's just on this one large-ish set. I'll try copying everything into a new file or something. Hopefully I don't tear space/time or anything.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
So for some reason my midi keyboard seems intent on only playing one of my drum racks. Even when I select another rack it plays the same old rack. How do I switch to a different rack when I have multiple racks out? Thanks.

e: this is after I mapped a few knobs. Does that mess up the keyboard playing the drum rack?

phractured fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 3, 2011

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Do you have Live set to monitor only the first rack? Turn monitor to 'In' on the rack you want to play and 'Auto' or 'Off' elsewhere.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

phractured posted:

So for some reason my midi keyboard seems intent on only playing one of my drum racks. Even when I select another rack it plays the same old rack. How do I switch to a different rack when I have multiple racks out? Thanks.

e: this is after I mapped a few knobs. Does that mess up the keyboard playing the drum rack?

The thing that determines which track is receiving midi isn't which one you're showing. There's a red icon at the bottom of the channel strip (in session view) that tells you which track is currently listening for midi.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Live has stopped working >:( >:( >:(

When I click play, nothing happens. The playback cursor doesn't move, no sound, no movement, nothing. I click stop and play repeatedly and I'm not sure if Live even knows I'm stopping and playing. I used to get this problem occasionally when working on projects, but just rebooting Live fixed it. Now it happens every time I run Live and won't go away.

To my knowledge nothing has changed. I installed Guitar Rig a few days ago and was using it as a plug-in with Live for a day or two with no adverse effects.

I've googled this but got nothing. Any suggestions? If no one can identify this I'll just go ahead and reinstall...

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Go into preferences and switch audio drivers to something else, and switch back.