Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Warszawa posted:

To be fair, no. My ethnic group also isn't big on tacos. Pulled pork for life.
Carnitas are Mexican Pulled Pork.
Oh god I love pork.
This weekend I had a brined berkshire bone in pork chop with a maple glaze. Medium. Oh god, it was awesome. Stop buying supermarket pork. I'm buying heritage pork from now on.*

*With food stamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
It's 2:40 am and I'm drinking a beer and studying for the bar... while talking to my co-worker... who is still in the office and not going home anytime soon, if at all tonight.

And I have sent my application out to over a dozen $30k admin type jobs this week because after getting my two weeks off, I have no desire to go back.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

HooKars posted:

It's 2:40 am and I'm drinking a beer and studying for the bar... while talking to my co-worker... who is still in the office and not going home anytime soon, if at all tonight.

And I have sent my application out to over a dozen $30k admin type jobs this week because after getting my two weeks off, I have no desire to go back.

You were so excited when you got that job :(

Edit: Well, goddamn :smith:

BigHead fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 16, 2011

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

BigHead posted:

You were so excited when you got that job :(

I was excited to have a job - not particularly excited to have a job as a lawyer. I was actively applying to non-law jobs then too. Had an opportunity for an $80k/yr job at a large corporation in a paralegal type position and the female attorney said it just wouldn't be "challenging enough for me" - that still is just crushing to me, and I really hope stuff like that doesn't keep happening.

I don't mind the actual work, but I am not a long hours person, especially when those long hours seem to come all at once for 30 days at a time and more especially when they seem wholly unnecessary and my billables aren't even good because it's long hours with a ton of downtime that I can't bill for.

Add that to the fact that I'm making $35k less than market for a first year associate, and I work with people who think it's A-okay to yell and curse you out on a regular basis, and I can't deal. My co-worker makes it bearable because he's awesome and he also takes the brunt of most of the yelling. I, honestly, already have to shut the door and cry on occasion when it's midnight and I'm tired and somebody just starts screaming at me over absolutely nothing. I had a kidney infection and I was allowed one day off and was working til midnight two days after I was in the hospital, even though they saw my hospital note and I explained my illness because they didn't believe it was anything kind of serious. I've lost about 15 pounds since my job started - which puts me under the 100 lb mark.

It just doesn't seem like it's really working for me.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

HooKars posted:

I was excited to have a job - not particularly excited to have a job as a lawyer. I was actively applying to non-law jobs then too. Had an opportunity for an $80k/yr job at a large corporation in a paralegal type position and the female attorney said it just wouldn't be "challenging enough for me" - that still is just crushing to me, and I really hope stuff like that doesn't keep happening.

I don't mind the actual work, but I am not a long hours person, especially when those long hours seem to come all at once for 30 days at a time and more especially when they seem wholly unnecessary and my billables aren't even good because it's long hours with a ton of downtime that I can't bill for.

Add that to the fact that I'm making $35k less than market for a first year associate, and I work with people who think it's A-okay to yell and curse you out on a regular basis, and I can't deal. My co-worker makes it bearable because he's awesome and he also takes the brunt of most of the yelling. I, honestly, already have to shut the door and cry on occasion when it's midnight and I'm tired and somebody just starts screaming at me over absolutely nothing. I had a kidney infection and I was allowed one day off and was working til midnight two days after I was in the hospital, even though they saw my hospital note and I explained my illness because they didn't believe it was anything kind of serious. I've lost about 15 pounds since my job started - which puts me under the 100 lb mark.

hi i'm a ghost

this post made me die

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

atlas of bugs posted:

hi i'm a ghost

this post made me die

Here, I'll keep going even though instant messenger chat is frowned upon since people like depressing law talk:

Sent at 3:07 AM on Wednesday
Coworker:
I had to stop that amendment project
I am now doing something else
I am really sad
he was both yelling at me tonight
while being totally puzzled about how any of the docs made any sense
it was the worst
so I got yelled at but didn't get a ton of help
also due tomorrow...

This isn't unusual. This is just normal talk at 3 am.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

HooKars posted:

Here, I'll keep going even though instant messenger chat is frowned upon since people like depressing law talk:

Sent at 3:07 AM on Wednesday
Coworker:
I had to stop that amendment project
I am now doing something else
I am really sad
he was both yelling at me tonight
while being totally puzzled about how any of the docs made any sense
it was the worst
so I got yelled at but didn't get a ton of help
also due tomorrow...

This isn't unusual. This is just normal talk at 3 am.
can we please go back to happy taco chat now

E> Seriously that sucks. Hope things turn around soon.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

If it's affecting your health like that you are going to die and really need to leave.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

diospadre posted:

If it's affecting your health like that you are going to die and really need to leave.

I will probably not die, I just need to not work 70+ hours a week for weeks at a time during periods of legitimate sickness - which I think is true of most people.

But I can hopefully get the hell out of there at some point with a job lined up. The guy before me quit with no job lined up and is still unemployed, and I would like that to not be me again.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

HooKars posted:

I will probably not die, I just need to not work 70+ hours a week for weeks at a time during periods of legitimate sickness - which I think is true of most people.

But I can hopefully get the hell out of there at some point with a job lined up. The guy before me quit with no job lined up and is still unemployed, and I would like that to not be me again.

I was coming to post this:

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_100281

But what the gently caress kind of terrible place do you work at? Holy poo poo.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

MaximumBob posted:

Thank you for reminding me that my job, which lets me take off almost whenever I want to, is objectively better than working at a law firm.

Same! Woop!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

HooKars posted:

the female attorney said it just wouldn't be "challenging enough for me"

I love how people all assume everyone wants a "challenging" career. Is it too much to ask for something where I show up, kick rear end, collect my money, and go home? If I want challenge I play Call of Duty on Hardcore Mode. Sorry for the double post, was not expecting Hookars' depress-o-thon.

Hookars don't forget what I said about bar associations!

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 16, 2011

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

HiddenReplaced posted:

But what the gently caress kind of terrible place do you work at? Holy poo poo.

It's not the firm itself, just my little 6 person department where they're all crazy and hit 2600 hour billables.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

The Warszawa posted:

Anna's.

You're gonna be fine.

This post, the most correct of posts.

Although Felipes Tacqueria in harvard square is right there and is not so much of a dropped from anna's that it is a bad second choice.

E: in fairness we'll never compete in tacos with places where brown people actually live. But Annas and Felipes are definitely better than your chains of the world by a long shot. Not so many food carts outside of the Fenway area but the food trucks over by MIT are beloved by many.

You're going to be FINE for food in Boston.

Petey fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 16, 2011

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

HooKars posted:

Leave. You're young, single and your health will bounce back as soon as you quit. "Settle" for less pay, even a lot less pay. I make $35k less than you, and I'm not a first year, so it can be done. My job before this one was a firm job that was much like yours. I lasted six months and quit - with a wife and two kids and no new job set up. Try the PD or DA, try Legal Aid, join the military (as an officer, not necessarily as a JAG) Pick a good sole or small practitioner and work for him/her for free to learn the ropes at the courthouse, the go out on your own. We're got a spot open for a drug court attorney, but that's another bar exam. Why are you killing yourself to help rich people move their money from one big pile to another, bigger pile of money?
Just leave.

caveat: The last time I was in the job market was 2002, and my first year was well before that.
But what you're doing just isn't worth it. You are letting them destroy you, body and soul. They're not worth it.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

The Warszawa posted:

Anna's.

You're gonna be fine.
Anna's sucks but they're everywhere so :effort:
HLS students never seem to leave the 1 mile radius emanating from the school down toward Harvard Square anyway

:ssh: Tacos Lupita.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

joat mon posted:

Why are you killing yourself to help rich people move their money from one big pile to another, bigger pile of money?
Just leave.

In fairness, this accurately describes 95% of all available jobs in any market. But you can do it with a lot less stress on yourself!

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Defleshed posted:

Same! Woop!

Yeah, it was nice being like "Alright, gotta leave by three to go make a Valentine's Day feast. Gonna pack it in," and just heading home.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Defleshed posted:

I love how people all assume everyone wants a "challenging" career. Is it too much to ask for something where I show up, kick rear end, collect my money, and go home? If I want challenge I play Call of Duty on Hardcore Mode. Sorry for the double post, was not expecting Hookars' depress-o-thon.

Hookars don't forget what I said about bar associations!
Have you considered the (not) exciting world of doc review? You don't even have to kick rear end, just show up and collect your money.

Also, Hookars, under 100 pounds? Please tell me you're 4'10". If you quit, please go off on someone before you leave. Jerks just get worse when no one calls them on their jerkness.

Kase Im Licht fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 16, 2011

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

nm posted:

Carnitas are Mexican Pulled Pork.
Oh god I love pork.
This weekend I had a brined berkshire bone in pork chop with a maple glaze. Medium. Oh god, it was awesome. Stop buying supermarket pork. I'm buying heritage pork from now on.*

*With food stamps.

Yeah "carnitas," I know them. There is no pulled pork but Cuban pulled pork.

Also, if you want real Hispanic food, you're basically going to have to take the train into NYC.

New Haven is surprisingly awesome for Central and South American food.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HooKars posted:

Jesus Christ Hookars :(

Daily Life
Feb 25, 2010

by angerbot
Thanks for all the replies. This stuff is just really depressing. I don't even have an associates degree and I make almost the same amount of money as my ex-GF's sister who has her law degree and passed the bar in San Francisco, CA. I only have a few thousand dollars in debt as opposed to the hundred thousand she has. I think a lot of people go to college with their parents paying and really have no idea or concept of what debt really is and how it will take control of a responsible person's life. After finishing all their school, they finally realize it too late.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Daily Life posted:

Thanks for all the replies. This stuff is just really depressing. I don't even have an associates degree and I make almost the same amount of money as my ex-GF's sister who has her law degree and passed the bar in San Francisco, CA. I only have a few thousand dollars in debt as opposed to the hundred thousand she has. I think a lot of people go to college with their parents paying and really have no idea or concept of what debt really is and how it will take control of a responsible person's life. After finishing all their school, they finally realize it too late.

I worked full-time through college and had a full scholarship so I graduated from undergrad with no debt.

Then I went to a good law school with an ok scholarship because, according to the flow-chart, that was acceptable and it was supposed to be fine. Now I'm going to graduate six figures in debt and...actually I don't know where I'm going with this, it kinda worked out for me...sorry, old habbits and all that.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Daily Life posted:

Thanks for all the replies. This stuff is just really depressing.

To be fair, I had an awesome time in law school, I think my resume looks pretty good even if non legal employer's don't seem to think so, I graduated without any debt and have plenty in savings to quit now if I really felt I had to, and although my actual law career has been an absolute train wreck in terms of what I wanted vs. what I got, my jobs have been 6 figures+ and I've tried out different cities and met a lot of new people. On the whole, definitely not bad at all, I'm just sick of the people at this job.

Also, I can't believe someone ever said property was fun. I know you took it back but god, I have taken it as a class, I have taken it for two bars, and I still had to give up learning all the terminology.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

HooKars posted:

To be fair, I had an awesome time in law school, I think my resume looks pretty good even if non legal employer's don't seem to think so, I graduated without any debt and have plenty in savings to quit now if I really felt I had to, and although my actual law career has been an absolute train wreck in terms of what I wanted vs. what I got, my jobs have been 6 figures+ and I've tried out different cities and met a lot of new people. On the whole, definitely not bad at all, I'm just sick of the people at this job.

Also, I can't believe someone ever said property was fun. I know you took it back but god, I have taken it as a class, I have taken it for two bars, and I still had to give up learning all the terminology.

Who was it that wanted to leave government employment for a law firm-type job to make more money to buy tvs? I hope you have read HooKars' last several emails and realized what an awful mistake you'd be making. Just because a person makes a lot of money (I'm going on the assumption that 6 figures is a lot of money, which in my opinion it is) does not mean they will be happy in that job.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

quepasa18 posted:

Who was it that wanted to leave government employment for a law firm-type job to make more money to buy tvs? I hope you have read HooKars' last several emails and realized what an awful mistake you'd be making. Just because a person makes a lot of money (I'm going on the assumption that 6 figures is a lot of money, which in my opinion it is) does not mean they will be happy in that job.

To further highlight WJ/Obamwitz's insanity, I would like to point out the fact that he actually makes more than HooKars.

Edit: I said highlight twice and it looked weird.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 16, 2011

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

HiddenReplaced posted:

To further highlight WJ/Obamwitz's insanity, I would like to highlight the fact that he actually makes more than HooKars.

Yeah and per hour he probably makes around 75% more.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Moral dilemma: I talk to law students from time to time on OkCupid. On one hand, I feel like I have a duty to convince them to stop ruining their lives. On the other hand, I like getting laid. Thoughts?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

The Rokstar posted:

Moral dilemma: I talk to law students from time to time on OkCupid. On one hand, I feel like I have a duty to convince them to stop ruining their lives. On the other hand, I like getting laid. Thoughts?

gently caress 'em.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

The Rokstar posted:

Neg them. Neg them hard.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
hookars please either help yourself or get help. seriously. :(

E: if you're seriously that underweight i am extremely worried; please do something

Feces Starship fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 16, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Rokstar posted:

Here's the deal. You don't need to tell them the truth right off the bat.
As long as you tell the truth after you're done, any other lies are forgiven. you'll have saved them $100,000-200,000 which is a lot of money for that.

Hookars, you need some government employment ASAP. For civil they generally need 1 year experience (which you'll likely get before hating yourself, if you don't have it now(. Look at city and county attorney jobs.
40 hour work weeks. 3-4 weeks of vacation they actually let you use. Happy co-workers. Health benefits. And maybe a pension if they don't get taken away.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

Hookars, you need some government employment ASAP.

http://www.law.state.ak.us/department/jobs.html

Alaska is always hiring a half-dozen AAGs!

Chewbacca Defense
Sep 6, 2009

High speed, low drag.

The Rokstar posted:

Let'em lay where Jesus flang'em.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Feces Starship posted:

E: if you're seriously that underweight i am extremely worried; please do something

Don't worry, I'm short, it makes me just slightly underweight for my height. It's really just the longer I'm gone, the more I hate the idea of going back.

I am definitely considering gov jobs, higher ed jobs and am basically just applying away. Which is easy for me to do because I will do anything if it means procrastinating from studying.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
You could come work for South Mississippi Legal Services if you don't mind doing divorce work for people too poor to afford attorneys at a salary of $36,000 plus benefits.

On the plus side, the cost of living is low and you get Black Spring Break.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BigHead posted:

http://www.law.state.ak.us/department/jobs.html

Alaska is always hiring a half-dozen AAGs!
How desperate am I? How desperate am I? How desperate am I? How desperate am I? How desperate am I?

Dunno if I can do civil. Maybe I can. Really don't want to take another bar and unfortunately, MN bar is on reciprocal if I took the bar there (I passed in).

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Stunt Rock posted:

Black Spring Break.

Huh?

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

HiddenReplaced posted:

To further highlight WJ/Obamwitz's insanity, I would like to point out the fact that he actually makes more than HooKars.

Edit: I said highlight twice and it looked weird.

Well, that patent examiner guy could end up with a pretty easy job if he's going into patent prosecution. It's pretty laid back depending on what area and what kind of firm you're looking for and the pay is better than the USPTO. Hell, I probably have even easier and more laid back hours than whatever he's described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Hours at mid-size patent boutiques are actually really good, and the pay for the most part is really good compared to other kinds of law too. A guy I used to work with is at one right now and his annual billable requirement is 1440 hours. I would kill a man for a billable minimum that low.