Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Wagonburner posted:

and unrelated stupid small question that the guy I quoted's name made me think of: What's going to happen to 1-800 numbers with US telecom consumers trending towards not having to pay long-distance anymore? I had long distance on my land line back in like 99 before I gave up on paying for an unused land line and unsed LD. Lots of people don't have landlines, all cell phones have free LD and now my "free" cox land line has free long distance. I'd imagine anyone younger than my parents (who also pay for both cable internet and AOL) doesn't have a LD bill. Will companies stick with it for easier-to-remember #s?

edit again: no matter how free calling the other side of the country or world gets to be it's still not worth all the "Switch to ____ long distance" commercials I had to sit through as a teen (some of you guys have never even heard of candace bergen) or the 10-10-xxx ones that made me see pure red hate in my twenties.

Landlines still charge for long distance, either directly, or by having a flat fee free long distance plan.

The real pain in the rear end with 1-800 numbers is that they are not accessible (even for pay) from outside the US, which is a tremendous PITA when trying to talk to your bank or airline in areas 'outside the US', because they have central 1-800 numbers, and completely random land line numbers without a central switchboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I am curious if there is a service that gives you wakeup calls because even with 3 alarms, and an online alarmclock winning the fight against my subconscious turning my alarm off and going back to sleep is going to ruin me.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

ibroxmassive posted:

I think he's wondering whether superglue will react badly at higher heats and what the upper limit to it working is/
In that case it looks like superglue is at risk of breaking down from thermal stress, though I'm not sure how big of an issue that is on a saucepan, where the amount of burner heat that makes it to the handle is pretty low.

Supposedly Epoxy is much more heat-resistant and only starts suffering from thermal stress at points where superglue just melts.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Wagonburner, OneEightHundred, Bojanglesworth, Ridonkulous: thank you for the replies!

The medical issues came before the car wreck it just a minor skid-and-bump in a slick parking lot - so he's got no responsibility there.

I just didn't want him to pay me, get indignant when he sees me still driving a my car with a busted front, and cause me some legal trouble over it.

All I have on my car is liability, and I don't even know what that means except they probably won't help much since he's uninsured, but in the next year my mom's upgrading her car and I get hers and I'd like to try to wait it out and pay the hospital instead.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

OneEightHundred posted:

In that case it looks like superglue is at risk of breaking down from thermal stress, though I'm not sure how big of an issue that is on a saucepan, where the amount of burner heat that makes it to the handle is pretty low.

Supposedly Epoxy is much more heat-resistant and only starts suffering from thermal stress at points where superglue just melts.

JB weld is heat cured, and can be used for engine blocks so stove temps will be fine.

(Note: there is a reason that most pans use rivets or bolts to attach handles: The differing heat expansion between metals and any other material is large enough to dislodge any non-metal adhesives. JB-Weld is metallic enough to avoid this problem, mostly. Epoxies, and superglues do not expand with heat and will fail for that reason if no other.)

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Just avoid the issue and get a pot gripper.

http://www.amazon.com/Open-Country-POT-GRIPPER/dp/B000696D74

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

wigtrade.cc posted:

I am curious if there is a service that gives you wakeup calls because even with 3 alarms, and an online alarmclock winning the fight against my subconscious turning my alarm off and going back to sleep is going to ruin me.

I'm not sure why a wakeup call would be any more effective than the alarm on your phone, but anyway. I found these free services:

http://www.wakeupdialer.com/
http://www.mysnoozester.com/
http://www.antsers.org/

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I read about a windows mobile app once (surely its on other phones now too) that makes you solve math problems before being able to snooze or turn off the alarm.

Put all of your battery of alarms on the other side of the room or in the hall so you have to get up if you plan to snooze them.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 15, 2011

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Wagonburner posted:

I read about a windows mobile app once (surely its on other phones now too) that makes you solve math problems before being able to snooze or turn off the alarm.

Put all of your battery of alarms on the other side of the room or in the hall so you have to get up if you plan to snooze them.

I do put them on the other side!

I can not win the battle against my subconscious

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wagonburner posted:

What's going to happen to 1-800 numbers with US telecom consumers trending towards not having to pay long-distance anymore? I had long distance on my land line back in like 99 before I gave up on paying for an unused land line and unsed LD. Lots of people don't have landlines, all cell phones have free LD and now my "free" cox land line has free long distance. I'd imagine anyone younger than my parents (who also pay for both cable internet and AOL) doesn't have a LD bill. Will companies stick with it for easier-to-remember #s?

Even tho you have free long distance on your cell phone, since 1-800 numbers are landlines if they weren't toll-free then you'd use up your minutes if you called them during the day. Also tollfree numbers are still useful if you crash your car out in flyover country where there's no cell phone signal but there is a payphone on the side of the gas station.

Don't forget though, that it's more than just 1-800 for toll free. There's 800, 888, 877, 866 and 855.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

wigtrade.cc posted:

I do put them on the other side!

I can not win the battle against my subconscious

I am with you brother. I looked for a wakeup call service forever. I had my best luck with a CD based alarm clock and a song that builds to a crecendo that played loud enough to actually work me into shower shape.

Simple alarms are useless, and I can walk downstairs and talk to people without waking up. Roommates are always saying they woke me up and talked to me, and I have no memory.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What kind of lens flare is this called?:

If it shows up in a movie, is it safe to assume that it's intentionally chosen? Or is it a limit of the kind of camera production chose to shoot with?

revolther
May 27, 2008
So a friend of mine was chilling in his new apartment the other day, just in the living room playing dreamcast when a police officer just opens the door and starts to try and walk in. My friend hopped up grabbed the door and stood in the doorway said, "What are you doing? You can't come in here." The officer said something along the lines of ya I can I have a warrant, my friend asked 'for what?', 'let me see it' to which the officer replied it was an electronic warrant and he was looking for [previous tenant]. My friend stepped outside with the officer and explained he's lived here for about a month, isn't the person, doesn't know the person. The cop in the course of their 3 minute or so conversation told him that he KNEW the person didn't live here anymore.

My friend was mostly tripped the gently caress out because he has bongs all over and is a weed smoker, but luckily hadn't been smoking. To be clear (as I heard the story), he said there was definitely no knock, the officer just opened the unlocked security door, opened the front door, and was ready to walk in.

My questions:
Why the gently caress did he open the door? Does a place being listed as the last known address give police the right to a search warrant? It's not a great neighborhood, maybe he thought he could just get away with it?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I work in a datacentre. I build, maintain and install servers, fix issues with things like apache and cpanel, deal with network problems and so on. Would you call what I do IT or computing?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

revolther posted:

My questions:
Why the gently caress did he open the door? Does a place being listed as the last known address give police the right to a search warrant? It's not a great neighborhood, maybe he thought he could just get away with it?

There is such a thing as a no-knock warrant, issued in cases where police believe evidence will be destroyed if they announce their presence (e.g. flushing drugs). As for whether he had adequate justification for such a warrant (or any warrant at all), that really varies from court to court.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

What kind of lens flare is this called?:

If it shows up in a movie, is it safe to assume that it's intentionally chosen? Or is it a limit of the kind of camera production chose to shoot with?

It's an artifact of anamorphic widescreen.

Wikipedia posted:

There are artifacts that can occur when using an anamorphic camera lens that do not occur when using an ordinary spherical lens. One is a kind of lens flare that has a long horizontal line usually with a blue tint and is most often visible when there is a bright light, such as from car headlights, in the frame with an otherwise dark scene. This artifact is not always considered to be a problem. It has come to be associated with a certain cinematic look and is in fact sometimes emulated using a special effect filter in scenes that were not shot using an anamorphic lens.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Anjow posted:

I work in a datacentre. I build, maintain and install servers, fix issues with things like apache and cpanel, deal with network problems and so on. Would you call what I do IT or computing?

In the US, that sort of work is called IT.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is anyone else having a problem with rss feeds displaying correctly in iGoogle when they're expanded? They seem to display fine on the front page view (the one that shows the last five or so headers), but when switching to the expanded view it just displays a blank pane.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
This might be a difficult one, but let's try.

Where did Antoine-Henry Jomini, the military strategist, die?
It's pasted all around every single page in the internet that he died in Passy, in Paris. But the thing is, I visit the place fairly often, and I would like to know the exact place. Street, number of said street.

Thanks!

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Dawncloack posted:

This might be a difficult one, but let's try.

Where did Antoine-Henri de Jomini, the military strategist, die?
It's pasted all around every single page in the internet that he died in Passy, in Paris. But the thing is, I visit the place fairly often, and I would like to know the exact place. Street, number of said street.

Thanks!

129 rue de la Tour

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Hey does anyone remember those patterns on the back of cereal boxes that usually just looked like a lot of random noise until you put on these special glasses which would reveal the hidden words?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The last apartment I lived in sent me a bill for about $50 for "cleaning" we did a walk through with the landlord before we moved out and he said everything was fine. With that in mind I feel like we shouldn't owe any money is there anything I can do to refute the amount they claim we owe?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I just had a bunch of spam launch out to everyone on my gmail contacts from my gmail account. Login log said it was an address in China.

I already changed my password from another computer. Scanned with adaware and it found a few items that have been dealt with.

What should I do now?

This is more embarassing than anything else (assuming I don't lose control of my account).

Astro Cake
May 27, 2010

I love you, strawberry milk.
I remember hearing about a certain currency being so terribly inflated that a trillion dollars wasn't even worth $1 USD. I recall people in the forums actually purchasing ridiculous amounts of this currency on eBay(?) for very cheap. What currency is this?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Astro Cake posted:

I remember hearing about a certain currency being so terribly inflated that a trillion dollars wasn't even worth $1 USD. I recall people in the forums actually purchasing ridiculous amounts of this currency on eBay(?) for very cheap. What currency is this?

Zimbabwe Dollar.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Dudebro posted:

I just had a bunch of spam launch out to everyone on my gmail contacts from my gmail account. Login log said it was an address in China.

I already changed my password from another computer. Scanned with adaware and it found a few items that have been dealt with.

What should I do now?

This is more embarassing than anything else (assuming I don't lose control of my account).

Make sure they can't get the account back. Check your secret question/answer pairs to make sure that they didn't change them. Change them yourself to new question/answer values. Change your password on any accounts that share the same password. Change your secret question/answer on any accounts that share the same question/answer pairs. Check your email filters, to make sure they didn't set up any email-forwarding on your behalf. Basically, check every tab in the "Settings" page to make sure everything looks kosher.

It's kind of a pain in the rear end, but they know a WHOLE lot about you now - they have an in at any site you've received email from. Think signup emails that are sitting around in archives, bank statements, automatic bill pay.

Edit: Added new suggestions regarding filters/settings.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 16, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Dudebro posted:

What should I do now?

Do you have any idea how it happened?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

wigtrade.cc posted:

Hey does anyone remember those patterns on the back of cereal boxes that usually just looked like a lot of random noise until you put on these special glasses which would reveal the hidden words?

Yep. I don't know the name for it, but one of my favorite board games, Outburst, uses the same thing.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

Also what's a really cheap flash mp3 player that browses/displays folders? completely non-id3-tag driven? Would prefer it taking a AAA battery so I have no downtime. I have a 2gb creative zen nano right now, wanting something almost exactly like this but more storage (microsd maybe)

I want something pretty simple and not touchscreen, it's for in the car. I used to have a nice usb capable kenwood but once again I had a deck stolen and back to my factory deck.

I got a Coby 8GB MP3/MP4 player with a 2" screen for about $15. (The web is no help on the model number) It supposedly did video too, but I didn't care about that. It worked on the folder system.

It's a total piece of poo poo that got the job done. Here's what it featured: USB charger or by power outlet. It lasted about 3-4 hours on battery life, which is internal. It's very thin.

My complaints: It would only charge when the power switch was ON, and then connected to power.
It did not alphabetize anything. Whatever folders/files you put in were displayed chronologically.
It had button lag...not the most powerful processor in the world, but again, it was $15.

I ditched it when I got an iPhone since my deck supports Bluetooth audio and hands free phone.

AtomicBolt
Jul 19, 2005

Instead of throwing a hand grenade, throw a small pumpkin. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they're thinking, throw a real grenade at them.
Does Qatar rhyme with "Batter", "Guitar" or "Cutter"? I've heard all three.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

AtomicBolt posted:

Guitar

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

AtomicBolt posted:

"Cutter" seems to be the accepted journalistic/military pronunciation these days, but the local pronunciation does indeed rhyme with "guitar."

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

wigtrade.cc posted:

Decoder images. If you want to see examples, a GIS for "decoder red glasses" gave me the largest set of results.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Q#1: Is Microsoft being non-dicks about downloads for everything or it just for the XP stuff?

You used to have to get downloads from a Windows computer running IE, or directly though WIndows Update and pass the test before you downloaded, and now I can use Opera on my Mac and download the XP SP3 update.

Q#2: I was given a computer, that I in turn will be giving away. How close to clean of personal data can I get it wihout wiping the drive given the fact that it does not have a hidden partition, and I got it without the install disks?

(Not my personal info, but the person who gave me the computer. I don't even have the login to their account, but I do have an admin account.)

(If it matters, it seems to infected with something, but I don't care so much about that. The person I am giving it to will not be hooked up to the internet since the wireless is busted.)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 16, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

kapalama posted:

Q#2: I was given a computer, that I in turn will be giving away. How close to clean of personal data can I get it wihout wiping the drive given the fact that it does not have a hidden partition, and I got it without the install disks?

(Not my personal info, but the person who gave me the computer. I don't even have the login to their account, but I do have an admin account.)

(If it matters, it seems to infected with something, but I don't care so much about that. The person I am giving it to will not be hooked up to the internet since the wireless is busted.)

There are a number of "file shredder" type programs out there that do this by deleting files and then rewriting the effected sectors with complete garbage like a dozen times over, so all's left of the file is just noise. The OS will still have permission to write over the noise, so it's not like the file will be replaced by a garbage file of some kind and continues to take up space on your hard drive.

I'm not familiar with these sorts of programs, so I can't really recommend one to you. Spybot S&D comes with one built in (Secure Shredder; in the Advanced mode, under Tools). I'm not sure how secure this actually is though, but it can rewrite files with garbled information up to 35 times over.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

There are a number of "file shredder" type programs out there that do this by deleting files and then rewriting the effected sectors with complete garbage like a dozen times over, so all's left of the file is just noise. The OS will still have permission to write over the noise, so it's not like the file will be replaced by a garbage file of some kind and continues to take up space on your hard drive.

I'm not familiar with these sorts of programs, so I can't really recommend one to you. Spybot S&D comes with one built in (Secure Shredder; in the Advanced mode, under Tools). I'm not sure how secure this actually is though, but it can rewrite files with garbled information up to 35 times over.

Here's something I am having problems with...

I am trying to uninstall anything that might have their name on it but some of the uninstaller seem to be inside their private area.

Is there a way to change that user's password so I can log in as them, delete their files and delete those apps?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
What's the best way to get an email address with a custom domain name? Do I have to buy my own domain? And how would I manage it? Do I have to use outlook?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Dudebro posted:

What's the best way to get an email address with a custom domain name? Do I have to buy my own domain? And how would I manage it? Do I have to uslook? I'm
Oh poo poo they got him.

And it depends on the domain. Is it a particular domain that you want, that doesn't exist? Then you'll have to buy it, yeah. Using it for e-mail is as simple as signing up for a service that serves e-mail to a domain you own.

Use outlook? You can use whatever you want to use. What you'll be getting is a POP3 and/or IMAP e-mail account, you can use it like you would any other e-mail address. Use whatever mail software you want. Most services will also have some sort of webmail functionality, but it'll probably be lovely. You could also use it to simply forward everything to another e-mail account you may already have.

This is a fairly big question.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 16, 2011

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Dudebro posted:

What's the best way to get an email address with a custom domain name? Do I have to buy my own domain? And how would I manage it? Do I have to use outlook?

Yes, you have to get your own domain and webspace(!) for your mailbox and website. You will then have a mailserver that you can access via POP3, IMAP and a web interface (which will most probably suck). You can of course use Outlook, Mail, Google Mail, etc to access and send email. Management works via a web interface, where you can set up addresses, mailboxes, mailing list, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know where else to ask this so here it is.

A few weeks ago I made an appointment to see a therapist for depression. Nothing major but I mostly just wanted to talk to someone to work some of my issues out. My mother is a psychologist so she tries to get us all to go see a therapist every now and then no matter what.

The day came and I completely forgot about the appointment. It was to be at 2 o'clock, and I got a call from them at 2:15. I immediately called them back and apologized refusely, told them I could come down there and at least get some time in, or just reschedule. The lady over the phone was very rude to me and chewed me out for not being there.

Today I opened the mailbox to a bill for $70 for "No-Show." I understand that I completely inconvenienced him and his practice, but not only have I never been charged something for missing an appointment one time (especially since I offered to come in late, which they refused), but this is $70 I can't pay with insurance and I can't afford to pay it out of pocket.

Do I just need to call my immediate family and beg for money to pay this off and move on with my life? It just seems unfair. (I know it was unfair I missed the appointment, but really, $70?)

This really sucks and honestly makes me depressed even more. It doesn't say much about the whole process if all my dealings with this office has made me more depressed.