Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hok
Apr 3, 2003

Cog in the Machine

LamoTheKid posted:

I'll check that out. So I can just use SAS to SATA adapters and I'm good to go? Any speed degradation by using the adapters? Sorry, I'm a little bit clueless here.

I'd do software RAID but the server doesn't have a ton of RAM, and is under a decent constant load.

Go with a Perc 6i rather than the 5i if you can, not a huge price difference from what I've seen on ebay and you get Raid 6/60, and a few other extra things in there.

I can't remember if the 1800 has a hotplane backplane or individual cables, I think the backplane was optional. If it's the cables, just pick up a pair of sas - 4xsata connectors like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200166&cm_re=sas-_-12-200-166-_-Product

movax posted:

Yeah, IIRC, I once bought a PERC5/i to see if I could use it as a dumb HBA for my Solaris box (I could if I made the controller setup 8 single-drive RAID 0s, which didn't sit well with me, so I got rid of it.).

You needed a SAS 5i/6i, not a Perc, although it is possible to flash the Perc with an LSI firmware to get it to do what you wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
^^ poo poo, thanks for the info. I already picked up the 5i though with the battery backup on ebay.

Got the adapters, I don't have the backplane so I picked up the SAS -> 4 SATA like you said.

Thanks for the info though!

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

Short version: Microsoft did it for SKU differentiation. Either do an Anytime Upgrade to Pro if you need it, find another backup solution, or use a Windows Home Server box, which organizes backups via network even for Home versions.

And not all W7 Pro boxes are in corporate settings. Heck, corporate boxes use Enterprise more often, but that's besides the point. How many small businesses have a full Domain with roaming profiles? That's fairly complex to administer. Alternative: Just use Pro and a NAS appliance and back up. Or be the type of nerd with a NAS in your house instead of an external drive. There's your market for Pro.

I've gone with Sync Toys:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

Seems a strange thing to limit and then provide a solution for but hey ho

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Can anyone recommend some solid backup software, paid or otherwise?

Not in need of an entire system image, so that's optional. I just have a bunch of files in folders, both on my main HD and backups on a 2TB external. Looking for something that will go in and either

A)do another entire backup on a set schedule or
B)sync & add whatever changed files there are, sort of like Dropbox.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Roving Reporter posted:

Can anyone recommend some solid backup software, paid or otherwise?

Not in need of an entire system image, so that's optional. I just have a bunch of files in folders, both on my main HD and backups on a 2TB external. Looking for something that will go in and either

A)do another entire backup on a set schedule or
B)sync & add whatever changed files there are, sort of like Dropbox.

Many different options out there.

Look into Robocopy for something easy and free.

If you want a nice little GUI (also costs $30), look into Second Copy

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
I've been using FreeFileSync on windows and it's been totally capable. It has a service you can run or you can run it manually. http://sourceforge.net/projects/freefilesync/

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Sweet! Thanks guys, I'll check them out.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

vanjalolz posted:

What are my options for keeping two zfs file servers in sync, other than rsync over the network?

Ideally I'm looking for something like rsync that would let me push changesets onto an external hard drive which I would carry to the other file server and get it to sync. I know zfs has zfs send which does something, I'm just not sure if I can use it for my purpose.

I guess using the zfs tools would be for block level sync which wouldn't work for two-way. Maybe some sort of script which copies recently modified files to the external drive would work. Has anyone tried something like this before?

ZFS send over the network would be good for keeping a secondary server in sync with the primary. It's pretty nifty, you take a snapshot on the primary box, send it to the secondary, and then subsequent snapshots that are sent to the secondary server will only send over the differences between snapshots rather than the full filesystem.

For you the best bed would be rsyncing each server to the other ones, but if you have people change the same file on two servers you're going to lose changes.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I'm not expecting files to change in two locations, just expecting folders to change in two locations. Was hoping to avoid sending things over the network though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Argh, the SASU8CI I got from Amazon arrived used (I think, anti-static bag was open). Luckily, their customer service is awesome as usual, and they're advance RMA'ing me another one.

Going to try it out in the meantime though, and see what happens! (at this rate, lsiutil is going to have mpt0 and mpt4)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Thinking about grabbin' a Netgear ReadyNAS enclosure and I'm looking at hard drives. 1TB Hitachi Desktars are decent drives for the price?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Thinking about grabbin' a Netgear ReadyNAS enclosure and I'm looking at hard drives. 1TB Hitachi Desktars are decent drives for the price?

They are, but 2TB drives are getting pretty cheap--the 2TB 5K3000s may not be a bad choice either. With a limited number of bays, density can be useful.

Wizzle
Jun 7, 2004

Most
Parochial
Poster

8-bit Miniboss posted:

My company is a Netgear reseller. We have had really great success with their products. Just make sure you check the speed benchmarks before making your choice. The lower-end models, like NV+, have very slow transfer rates.

Oh, and Hitachi drives are nice. Deskstar was originally an IBM product. They sold their hard drive line to Hitachi several years back and Hitachi maintains the same quality. (Interesting fact: the Deskstar was the first ATA hard drive to offer 7,200rpm).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Wizzle posted:

They sold their hard drive line to Hitachi several years back and Hitachi maintains the same quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deskstar#Deskstar_failures

I laughed. (I actually have a couple Hitachi Deskstars)

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

movax posted:

They are, but 2TB drives are getting pretty cheap--the 2TB 5K3000s may not be a bad choice either. With a limited number of bays, density can be useful.

I just replaced all 4 1TB Western Digital drives in my RAID-5 with 4 2TB Hitachi 7K3000 drives. Newegg had them on sale for $99 a pop with a promo code last weekish. They're fast, and they hold a lot of data. I'd definitely recommend the *K3000 line.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

movax posted:

Hmm, I'll consider it. Thought 2TB had failure issues.

Wizzle posted:

My company is a Netgear reseller. We have had really great success with their products. Just make sure you check the speed benchmarks before making your choice. The lower-end models, like NV+, have very slow transfer rates.

Oh, and Hitachi drives are nice. Deskstar was originally an IBM product. They sold their hard drive line to Hitachi several years back and Hitachi maintains the same quality. (Interesting fact: the Deskstar was the first ATA hard drive to offer 7,200rpm).

Cool beans, I was considering to get the ReadyNAS Ultra 4, (either plus or not, still haven't decided that).

Thanks for the info all.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I snagged a WD Green 2TB (WD20EARS) back before I knew better :(. It's been solid so far, but I'm just using it as a dump drive on my desktop. I'll have to keep the Hitachi's in mind when I finally splurge on an array, do they play nice with mdadm RAID5 or a RAIDZ1 array?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Thanks everyone for the PERC 5/i recommendation. Got the card in (removed the old one) and the arrays are building now. Going to be a scary 16 hours with no backups running tonight.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

PitViper posted:

I snagged a WD Green 2TB (WD20EARS) back before I knew better :(. It's been solid so far, but I'm just using it as a dump drive on my desktop. I'll have to keep the Hitachi's in mind when I finally splurge on an array, do they play nice with mdadm RAID5 or a RAIDZ1 array?

They should. They're honestly the best consumer-drives that can moonlight in RAIDs, because they don't do any aggressive "green" management like WD, and they are as of right now, still 512-byte sector drive through and through.

I would suggest the Barracuda LPs as the next best; their power savings come from spinning at 5900rpm. I read somewhere that they like doing head-parking too, but haven't noticed any problems...yet.

I think drive power management is...working on it's own now. I get a good 30 second delay if I do a zpool status before it complets, and dmesg reports my SASUC8I powering back up. I'm so confused. The Supermicro card (identical chip, identical driver) doesn't do this, and when I tried setting up power management earlier, got a kernel panic every time.

Drive IDs are still hosed though, even after cleaning out the persistent mapping options and stuff. One controller gives them 0-5, the other gives 'em 1-6. :iiam:

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

Wondering if you guys can give me some help with an upgrade project I'd like to do at home.

Currently, I'm running a 5 year old Dell SC430 with 5 2tb storage HDD's and a 1tb OS / temp storage drive. I'm looking at getting some MS certs and want a new file server that can also run a few VM's for learning purposes.

The hardware I'm looking at is :

Motherboard Supermicro X8-ST3-F
CPU Xeon E5620
RAM 3 x 8GB Kit 1333MHZ DDR3 ECC - this is actually 6x4gb modules
Controllers Intel SAS-UC8I 8 port SAS Controller (x2)
Case Norco 4224
PSU Corsair TX-650
Storage 8 Samsung 2tb HD2040UI HDD's

The idea is to run a VMware ESXi install off a 4gb flash drive plugged into one of the mobo internal headers, setup a ZFS + Napp-It install using the 8 Samsung drives in a single RaidZ2 vdev.

I can then use this storage pool to host the VM files over NFS, and use the remainder for storage. Once this is getting close to full, it's easy to add another 8 drive RaidZ2 vdev to the pool, and I can do this twice before the case is full.

As far as resource allocation, I was thinking

VM's:
Storage - ZFS - 2 vcpu, 10gb Ram
DC 1 - Win Server 2008R2 - 1vcpu 2gb RAM
DC 2 - Win Server 2008R2 - 1vcpu 2gb RAM
Apps - Win Server 2008R2 - 2vcpu, 8gb RAM
Client - Windows 7 Ultimate - 1vcpu, 2gb RAM

Any ideas ?

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )
I'm considering moving from WHS to unRAID, feature wise they seem pretty similar but my WHS install has never really worked as intended and has recently become unstable plus it's really overkill for what I need.

I thought it worth trying unRAID to see if stability will improve on the same hardware. I'm pretty sure unRAID is my only option given that I have a range of different drive sizes and speeds.

I've done the required reading and I'm confident unRAID will work for me but my current WHS config consists of 8 internal HDD's and 4 external USB drives, I can't find any information on whether unRAID supports adding external USB drives to the drive pool.

Can anyone comment on if this is possible with unRAID?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cuahtemoc posted:

The hardware I'm looking at is :

Motherboard Supermicro X8-ST3-F
CPU Xeon E5620
RAM 3 x 8GB Kit 1333MHZ DDR3 ECC - this is actually 6x4gb modules
Controllers Intel SAS-UC8I 8 port SAS Controller (x2)
Case Norco 4224
PSU Corsair TX-650
Storage 8 Samsung 2tb HD2040UI HDD's

I am not entirely familiar with ESXi and it's hardware compatibility, but do you have absolutely have to shell out the money for a workstation board? Personally I still use desktop hardware, though I would love to go ECC at some point...

Anyways, your controller choice is excellent. I love my Intel UC8Is. Update their firmware to the latest, and they will do quite well. PSU likewise is fine. I would go with Hitachi 5K3000s for your drives though, since they are cool, quiet and are natively 512 byte sectors.

quote:

The idea is to run a VMware ESXi install off a 4gb flash drive plugged into one of the mobo internal headers, setup a ZFS + Napp-It install using the 8 Samsung drives in a single RaidZ2 vdev.

I can then use this storage pool to host the VM files over NFS, and use the remainder for storage. Once this is getting close to full, it's easy to add another 8 drive RaidZ2 vdev to the pool, and I can do this twice before the case is full.

I have a similar case (the elderly first generation RPC-4020). I would suggest doing a single SSD for your OS install, and run it off the mobo SATA ports. Doesn't have to be a crazy Sandforce drive; I run my Solaris 11 install of a single 30GB first-generation Vertex.

As for vdev setup, I posted a spreadsheet a long while ago (November) I think with some basic math for calculating vdev performance. Previously, I had a single 8-drive RAID-Z2 of 1.5TB drives. For my new build, I have settled on 3 6-drive RAID-Z2s; a good blend of IOPS and storage capacity. RAID-Z2 is definitely the way to go though. With 4 6-drive RAID-Z2s you could fill the case entirely. Since I have a 20-bay case, I have 18 data drives and two hot spares waiting to get tapped in if needed.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

movax posted:

I am not entirely familiar with ESXi and it's hardware compatibility, but do you have absolutely have to shell out the money for a workstation board? Personally I still use desktop hardware, though I would love to go ECC at some point...

There isn't a strong need; I could get an AMD based consumer board, fit 2 Intel NIC's, and install the 2 Intel controller cards. But I couldn't install 3 SAS controllers (2 16x PCIE slots compared to the Supermicro's 3 8x slots with an onboard 8 port SAS controller already), and the maximum ram I could install would be 16gb vs 24. I also figured that for the VM use, the 4 core chip with hyperthreading would be more useful than a 6 core without.

The price difference between the 2 solutions is about $500, with the benefits being: more RAM capacity, more cores, more PCIE lanes, more expandability and IPMI capability.

Speaking of which, assuming I end up filling the thing, how much RAM is reccomended for a 3 x 8 2tb disk RaidZ2 setup ? (total capacity 36tb). As the main uses are going to be media + VM serving with a 3 user home environment, I don't figure I need dedup or any intensive RAM features like that.

As far as SSD's, is the OS install the optimum place to use them ? What about ZIL and L2ARC discs ? The onboard mobo SATA ports are SAS using the same controller as the Intel boards, so I'll be using them for storage. I have a few SIL3132 PCIE 2 port SATA cards I was going to use for OS / ZIL / L2ARC if I can get much benefit out of them.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cuahtemoc posted:

There isn't a strong need; I could get an AMD based consumer board, fit 2 Intel NIC's, and install the 2 Intel controller cards. But I couldn't install 3 SAS controllers (2 16x PCIE slots compared to the Supermicro's 3 8x slots with an onboard 8 port SAS controller already), and the maximum ram I could install would be 16gb vs 24. I also figured that for the VM use, the 4 core chip with hyperthreading would be more useful than a 6 core without.

The price difference between the 2 solutions is about $500, with the benefits being: more RAM capacity, more cores, more PCIE lanes, more expandability and IPMI capability.
Gotcha. You only listed 2 UC8I controllers, but I see now that you were also counting on the on-board controller on the mobo. A "last-gen" X58 desktop board would give you at least 3 x8 electrical lanes as well, but looks like workstation is the way to go here. e: hah, your board is running off a X58 anyways, go figure.

quote:

Speaking of which, assuming I end up filling the thing, how much RAM is reccomended for a 3 x 8 2tb disk RaidZ2 setup ? (total capacity 36tb). As the main uses are going to be media + VM serving with a 3 user home environment, I don't figure I need dedup or any intensive RAM features like that.
Yeah, don't do dedup. Most of us home users I think don't benefit from it, and most of the e-mails I see sent to zfs-discuss are dedup issues. It has retard high RAM requirements as well. For RAM, I think >=8GB is a good place to start.

quote:

As far as SSD's, is the OS install the optimum place to use them ? What about ZIL and L2ARC discs ? The onboard mobo SATA ports are SAS using the same controller as the Intel boards, so I'll be using them for storage. I have a few SIL3132 PCIE 2 port SATA cards I was going to use for OS / ZIL / L2ARC if I can get much benefit out of them.
Right, so you'd have 3 1068E controllers total (or does that board have the newer 6Gbps LSI 2008 SAS controller on it? Either way, both are best buds with Solaris). IMO, a single SSD for OS is reliable enough for home use, otherwise I'd do a mirrored rpool. Once you put in the hours tweaking your system to work, you do not want to do it again.

I've got one SSD (Vertex 2 60G) partitioned for ZIL/L2ARC usage, roughly in a 10/90 ratio or so. That ZIL size is definitely overkill (check the ZFS Best Practices guide for sizing guidelines). I have it running off a mobo port, since I have 6 of those ports and that's all I need. I don't recall off hand Silicon Image support under Solaris, but I can confirm that ICH10 AHCI and LSI 1068E controllers run butter smooth on Solaris 11, albeit SMART status can be annoying to retrieve.

So, I guess, with 24 drive bays, you can feed those off 2 Intel UC8Is + onboard LSI 1068E controller. Feed your OS, ZIL/L2ARC and any other random drives off the 6 SATA ports offered by the ICH10 controller in AHCI mode. You should not need any additional SATA controllers.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
You may want to read this article from Anandtech for a couple ideas. Not sure if it'd be a smart idea to be using ZFS running in a VM in this setup partially because your VMotion options are limited with RDMs (which you would be using for ZFS to do anything right with the JBOD). Not sure what your VMware experience level is but I'll be dedicating my Solaris setup for storage and treating it like an iSCSI SAN.

I'm in the process of building something similar for my own home ESX setup (I'll be adding a couple 2Us for some HA and DRS setups) and I'm mostly getting ECC for mental comfort and the fact that I'm trying to match the performance characteristics that my customers have aside from using hardware iSCSI initiators or something (christ I'd hate to have to pay for that).

The benchmarks I've seen for the ZIL and ARC on SSDs are some serious gains, but I'm not sure if they're going to be that necessary for the level of performance I expect to hit. On the other hand, I am probably going to start writing some stuff that will again match the sort of setup my customers could have, and those would be enterprise SSDs and SAS drives :(

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Any PERC experts here? This is driving me bananas.

I have the latest driver disk, and I believe I have the latest firmware update for it 5.2.2-0072.

Do I need to step through every firmware update or can I jump from 5.0.1-0030 (the current one) right to this one?

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

You may want to read this article from Anandtech for a couple ideas. Not sure if it'd be a smart idea to be using ZFS running in a VM in this setup partially because your VMotion options are limited with RDMs (which you would be using for ZFS to do anything right with the JBOD). Not sure what your VMware experience level is but I'll be dedicating my Solaris setup for storage and treating it like an iSCSI SAN.

At this stage the advanced VMWare features (HA, VMotion, FT, etc) aren't a high priority as the main function is household storage and training to get my MS certs. Just want to do the basics really.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
not too long ago I tried to RDM 4 sata drives to an opensolaris VM and it would constantly corrupt the pool. I believe it was overwriting the disk labels. I gave up after the 4th try. Has anyone else experienced this?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
:argh:

What would the best way be to limit upload bandwidth from a Synology NAS during a remote backup. I love the idea of it doing stuff in the background by itself, but by saturating upload speeds on my cable modem is grinds normal traffic to a halt. Limiting to just 5-10KB/s of max would do wonders.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

LamoTheKid posted:

I have the latest driver disk, and I believe I have the latest firmware update for it 5.2.2-0072.

Do I need to step through every firmware update or can I jump from 5.0.1-0030 (the current one) right to this one?
I've only upgraded PERCs via the firmware update tool provided at http://linux.dell.com but they've all been full updates to the latest version without any intermediate steps (even on older models).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dietcokefiend posted:

:argh:

What would the best way be to limit upload bandwidth from a Synology NAS during a remote backup. I love the idea of it doing stuff in the background by itself, but by saturating upload speeds on my cable modem is grinds normal traffic to a halt. Limiting to just 5-10KB/s of max would do wonders.
If you're using rsync the switch in this thread might work: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15744

Otherwise I'm not sure, that's just a solution that popped up when searching around. Depending on if the code is portable, maybe try compiling throttled, or suggesting it on the Synology forums and hope someone else picks it up. I used it way back on my Mac server and it worked great once you figured out how to set it up for your use.

Edit: I thought of another simpler way...but it depends on your router. If you router can limit bandwidth for devices, just do it through there.

japtor fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 16, 2011

burn
Jan 23, 2004

After totally outgrowing a DNS 323, I think I'm ready for some upgrades. Am I better off buying a synology, or building a small homegrown nas? I don't mind some tinkering. I would think that it would be more cost effective / powerful to build my own, but I thought I would get your suggestions. I've got my eye on a 1511+. Also, would someone have a good suggestion on hardware off of newegg if I do diy it?

frunksock posted:

Can we talk cases?
Fractal Array R2: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=53545
I'm in love with this case. I'd like it more if it was on amazon or newegg.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
The Synology 1511+ with a RAM upgrade and expander chassis is very solid.

At that price you could certainly build something. I would still recommend going with the synology, it will be less work, better supported, and be smaller, quieter, more attractive, and use less power.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Does an LSI 9240-8i have an on board chip that handling the RAID calculations or is that off-loaded to the CPU? I'm trying to toss this into a ESXi box to fix my mess of attaching my HDDs directly to board with no RAID capabilities.

Secondly would the LSI 9240 handle it if I hang 4 x 2TB 6.0 GB/s off one mini-SAS and 4 x 1TB 3.0 GB/s off the other? Would there be any issues?

Hok
Apr 3, 2003

Cog in the Machine

LamoTheKid posted:

Just install the latest, no need to do it in stages. If you have problems do it from a bootable usb key

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Hok posted:

Just install the latest, no need to do it in stages. If you have problems do it from a bootable usb key

Done, thanks to you and lilbean.

It was not fun digging through Dell's FTP to find the proper update and driver, but it's all running again with 6TB of space and my backups are humming along.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Does the Synology have drive pooling or just RAID?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I'd like to ask a couple of (probably) really stupid questions -

1. So, I now have the 4 1.5TB drives that I would like to use along with FreeNAS on my old computer. The problem is that I currently have 2 of those drives being used in a RAID 1 configuration, and the other two are brand new (just arrived yesterday).

Will I need to format these drives in order to set up FreeNAS? I've been kind of poking around on the FreeNAS documentation pages, but some of it is a little over my head.

2. Can I keep the Windows install I currently have on there too? In a pinch, it would be nice to be able to go ahead and boot it into Windows if I needed to.

Thanks!

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Windows is installed on those drives right now, or on a third unrelated drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Sorry, should have specified.

The case has (or will have) a total of 5HDDs:

1 500gig drive that currently has Windows on it (and I would like to leave it on there). Out of habit, I just assumed that I'd be using this as my boot drive and the other 4 1.5TB HDDs would be my storage array.