Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

FLX posted:

Yes, you have to get your own domain and webspace(!) for your mailbox and website.

Not if you just want the email address. Most (all?) domain registration places will let you create an email address that forwards everything to an already existing email address, so you don't need any webspace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Droid Washington posted:

Do I just need to call my immediate family and beg for money to pay this off and move on with my life? It just seems unfair. (I know it was unfair I missed the appointment, but really, $70?)

This really sucks and honestly makes me depressed even more. It doesn't say much about the whole process if all my dealings with this office has made me more depressed.

The only raise a TheRapist ever gets is when he manages to have enough patients to fill his docket since insurance locks his prices in. You not showing up cost him more than that $70.00, so just imagine how it would sound if you asked him to pay for the other half as well.

If you show up late, they will try and work with you, but you just cost them money.

Imagine how rude you would be if he took $100.00 from you for no reason.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
nvm, I read that wrong. Man you phrased that weird.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 16, 2011

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Gravity Pike posted:

Make sure they can't get the account back. Check your secret question/answer pairs to make sure that they didn't change them. Change them yourself to new question/answer values. Change your password on any accounts that share the same password. Change your secret question/answer on any accounts that share the same question/answer pairs. Check your email filters, to make sure they didn't set up any email-forwarding on your behalf. Basically, check every tab in the "Settings" page to make sure everything looks kosher.

It's kind of a pain in the rear end, but they know a WHOLE lot about you now - they have an in at any site you've received email from. Think signup emails that are sitting around in archives, bank statements, automatic bill pay.

Edit: Added new suggestions regarding filters/settings.

Thanks for the advice.

Do I need programs like spysweeper or adaware when I already have NOD32? Those things seem based in scare tactics.

I asked about getting e-mail because I'm paranoid now about sending spam to people although I'm not sure how getting a non-web-based e-mail will help hijacking problems.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Droid Washington posted:

The day came and I completely forgot about the appointment. It was to be at 2 o'clock, and I got a call from them at 2:15. I immediately called them back and apologized refusely, told them I could come down there and at least get some time in, or just reschedule. The lady over the phone was very rude to me and chewed me out for not being there.

This is an aside, but I would contact the therapist directly or the office manager if there is one and complain about how this woman treated you. It's never appropriate for someone working in a mental health office to chastise, chew out, belittle, etc a patient. What if you had been going through an emergency and she caused you not to seek help?

She should've explained the no show policy, offered to reschedule your appointment and told you at that time that you would be charged for not showing up, so that you had an opportunity to state your case/try to make arrangements.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dudebro posted:

What's the best way to get an email address with a custom domain name? Do I have to buy my own domain? And how would I manage it? Do I have to use outlook?

Both Namecheap and Godaddy have email-only domain hosting plans for something like $20/year.

EDIT: Actually Lithium Hosting is an awesome Goon-run webhost with a cheap plan starting at $10/yr and they offer Hosted GMail (Google Apps for yourname@domain.com) for a one-time fee and they set eveything up for you. Talk to DarkLotus in the thread and he can get you set up.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 16, 2011

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

elbow posted:

Not if you just want the email address. Most (all?) domain registration places will let you create an email address that forwards everything to an already existing email address, so you don't need any webspace.

Can you still send email from your domain's address then, or just receive?

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

kapalama posted:

Is there a way to change that user's password so I can log in as them, delete their files and delete those apps?

Yes. I am not familiar with your computer savvyness, so you may be on your own here. It's been a few years since I've used it as well.

It's a linux boot disk. Put it on CD or USB, (or floppy god forbid)

Going off memory: Let it boot, select your windows partition, select the user you want to edit, give them a new password (enter for a blank password), and then press ! to exit and save.

Start windows and login as that user.

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

FLX posted:

Can you still send email from your domain's address then, or just receive?

You can send from your domain address just fine (technically "from" any address, but that's getting into the technical side of webhosting/email routing)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there any way to make my cellphone transfer SMS texts (and/or BBM messages, as this is a Blackberry) to and from my computer to my friends when it's connected to my laptop by means of Bluetooth or whatever? Not that this is crucial or anything, I just think it would be neat (and convenient) to do this whenever I'm at home or in the lab and on the computer anyway so I won't have to dig out my phone whenever someone messages me.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

kapalama posted:

Here's something I am having problems with...

I am trying to uninstall anything that might have their name on it but some of the uninstaller seem to be inside their private area.

Is there a way to change that user's password so I can log in as them, delete their files and delete those apps?

You said you have an administrator account, right? You should be able to go into the account settings in the Control Panel and remove their password.

You can try that other thing posted too but I did once and it didn't work for me.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Droid Washington posted:

I don't know where else to ask this so here it is.

A few weeks ago I made an appointment to see a therapist for depression. Nothing major but I mostly just wanted to talk to someone to work some of my issues out. My mother is a psychologist so she tries to get us all to go see a therapist every now and then no matter what.

The day came and I completely forgot about the appointment. It was to be at 2 o'clock, and I got a call from them at 2:15. I immediately called them back and apologized refusely, told them I could come down there and at least get some time in, or just reschedule. The lady over the phone was very rude to me and chewed me out for not being there.

Today I opened the mailbox to a bill for $70 for "No-Show." I understand that I completely inconvenienced him and his practice, but not only have I never been charged something for missing an appointment one time (especially since I offered to come in late, which they refused), but this is $70 I can't pay with insurance and I can't afford to pay it out of pocket.

Do I just need to call my immediate family and beg for money to pay this off and move on with my life? It just seems unfair. (I know it was unfair I missed the appointment, but really, $70?)

This really sucks and honestly makes me depressed even more. It doesn't say much about the whole process if all my dealings with this office has made me more depressed.

I would imagine it may be some time before they get around to passing on the bill to a debt collector or anything like that. Yes, you should pay it, even though that feels like it sucks, but if you're short on cash you can put it off for a month or two, or maybe longer. They might try to charge a late fee, but it's nothing worth taking you to small claims court over. The only consequence I can imagine you'll face might be some damage to your credit if you wait too long.

If you can speak to the doctor directly you might be able to plead your way out of it if it's really going to gently caress with your budget that much.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
What's the best way for getting a speck of [whatever] out of your eye? I'm sure someone once told me something devastatingly simple which worked like a charm, but I can't remember right now...

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Pull your upper eyelid over your lower lid and hold it there till your eye starts to tear up. As seen on a Superfriends PSA in the seventies.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

FreshFeesh posted:

You can send from your domain address just fine (technically "from" any address, but that's getting into the technical side of webhosting/email routing)

I have a question about this, I already own a few domains and have email addresses set up for each of them. GoDaddy seems to charge for forwarding from the email to anywhere else, is there a way around this?

Edit: It works just fine but its a pain in the rear end to log into login.secureserver.net each time I want to check my email.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I live in Ontario. Do I have any legal recourse against an obnoxious, harassing neighbour in the same building? (house) The landlord knows about the issue but won't do anything, though he's on our side. If it matters, my boyfriend and I have lived here a lot longer than the neighbour.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Drimble Wedge posted:

I live in Ontario. Do I have any legal recourse against an obnoxious, harassing neighbour in the same building? (house) The landlord knows about the issue but won't do anything, though he's on our side. If it matters, my boyfriend and I have lived here a lot longer than the neighbour.

I don't know, but I can point you to http://www.torontotenants.org/ if you live in Toronto. There are some other resources being discussed in this thread: http://www.settlement.org/discuss/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3192

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Thanks and no, I don't live in Toronto. Guess we just have to hope the landlord either grows a pair, or she moves out.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Drimble Wedge posted:

This makes me feel like a total old man, but right when my baby was born we got some neighbors that were ~18 years old and they were outside partying non stop, smoking cigarettes and carrying on until three or four in the morning everyday (I guess they couldn't smoke in the house.) We live in townhouses and their house was directly across from mine. I just made it a point to call the non emergency police number and call in a noise complaint each time they were out there. They were gone in a month.

I guess that might not work if your landlord is a pussy because I think what ended up happening was the landlord of their house caught wind of the excessive partying and constant complaints and kicked them out. Although, I am sure that at a certain point the cops will get tired of going over there and take the next step, whatever that may be.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Droid Washington posted:

A bit late, and from an entirely different country, but did the woman tell you not to come in at all? If so, couldn't that be construed as refusal of service?
In New Zealand, if you cancel a booking you can only be charged a late fee if it monetarily disadvantages the business ie they aren't able to fill your spot. Since you offered to come in and were rebuffed, I'd be arguing that they chose to leave the spot empty themselves, and shouldn't be entitled to a penalty payment.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Is there anywhere legit online that I can watch the IBM Watson Jeoparty games? Not asking for :filez:, just want to know if they're streaming on Hulu or NBC or ABC or whatever channel Jeoparty is on.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 19, 2011

roads
Feb 22, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Binowru posted:

Yep. I don't know the name for it, but one of my favorite board games, Outburst, uses the same thing.

Related kinda, what about those old cereal box image things where it looked like a pattern of something (like a bunch of dolphins jumping or some random bs) but if you dilate your eyes or look at it somehow it looks like something else? They didn't require glasses

I never was able to figure those things out and I'd like to redeem myself :(

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

roads posted:

Related kinda, what about those old cereal box image things where it looked like a pattern of something (like a bunch of dolphins jumping or some random bs) but if you dilate your eyes or look at it somehow it looks like something else? They didn't require glasses

I believe those are commonly called "Magic Eye" images. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_f8ayQQx4I

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

roads posted:

You mean Magic Eye?:
http://www.sfonditalia.it/images/Stereogrammi/st_campo_1024.jpg
it's a dude popping off his glock at something out of frame, and a fox in the foreground

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Is there any way to turn off my laptop on Windows 7? No win+L. I like the dark. :)

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

You mean Magic Eye?:
http://www.sfonditalia.it/images/Stereogrammi/st_campo_1024.jpg
it's a dude popping off his glock at something out of frame, and a fox in the foreground

Does anyone else see these inverted? For every single one I've seen, the foreground elements are pushed into positive space (behind the screen) while the general background and scene stay at screen level. I can only assume other people see it reversed; the main objects coming into negative space (popping out of the screen) -- thoughts?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gravity Pike posted:

Is there anywhere legit online that I can watch the IBM Watson Jeopardy games? Not asking for :filez:, just want to know if they're streaming on Hulu or NBC or ABC or whatever channel Jeopardy is on.

People put them up on youtube and they don't ever seem to get taken down, so that's probably ok.

roads
Feb 22, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Binowru posted:

I believe those are commonly called "Magic Eye" images. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_f8ayQQx4I

Yeah that's it! I can't see it, kimbo! :ssj:
Is there some trick to it?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

ProperCoochie posted:

Is there any way to turn off my laptop on Windows 7? No win+L. I like the dark. :)

Uh, do you mean something other than clicking on the windows button, then "Shut Down"?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Gravity Pike posted:

Is there anywhere legit online that I can watch the IBM Watson Jeoparty games? Not asking for :filez:, just want to know if they're streaming on Hulu or NBC or ABC or whatever channel Jeoparty is on.

If this is files, I'll take it down, but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PSPvHcLnN0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Bojanglesworth posted:

I have a question about this, I already own a few domains and have email addresses set up for each of them. GoDaddy seems to charge for forwarding from the email to anywhere else, is there a way around this?

Edit: It works just fine but its a pain in the rear end to log into login.secureserver.net each time I want to check my email.

Unless there are POP3/IMAP settings you can use for those accounts (GoDaddy will have information on that), you're pretty stuck either checking it via their site or by having it forwarded.

Think of it this way -- generally you either pay to have it forwarded or you pay for a complete hosting package, which includes email.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
When I sell something through Amazon Marketplace, I get the sale price added to my seller's account balance, which pays out every two weeks. In the meantime, can I use the money in my seller's account to buy stuff on Amazon?

EDIT: V V V V Good to know, thanks :)

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 17, 2011

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

No, it's entirely separate.

Edit: just so you're aware you don't have to wait for it to be automatically deposited, you can request a disbursement once every 24 hours - it still takes a few days to be put into your bank account, but it's quicker than waiting for the cycle to end.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 17, 2011

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

roads posted:

Yeah that's it! I can't see it, kimbo! :ssj:
Is there some trick to it?

You're supposed to focus behind the picture. I can never do them either, but I've been told that once you learn to do it you never forget.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Travakian posted:

Does anyone else see these inverted? For every single one I've seen, the foreground elements are pushed into positive space (behind the screen) while the general background and scene stay at screen level. I can only assume other people see it reversed; the main objects coming into negative space (popping out of the screen) -- thoughts?

I see them the same way you do.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Gravity Pike posted:

Uh, do you mean something other than clicking on the windows button, then "Shut Down"?

Alternatively, click that little arrow and click "sleep". Anything that's open won't need to close, and one of the biggest advantages of Windows 7 is how fast it goes to and resumes from sleep. I use it a ton with my laptop. The only major downside is it still keeps drawing power, but a very negligible amount.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 19, 2011

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for everyones advice on the therapist no-show bill. I scrounged up some money and sent them a check, and cancelled my rescheduled appointment with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
Were actual pieces of eight as hoarded by pirates all wobbly edged as they're seen in some films? Wikipedia's pictures of pieces of eight shows them being properly minted - is the wobbly edgedness meant to show they were under water for a while? Or is it just artistic licence on the behalf of Hollywood?