Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Gay Pimpin owns, even if you're not GBLT you'll laugh (though I have been told his voice is grating, dunno, I like it but I can see how people could get turned off).

Also don't know if it's been said but the How Did This Get Made for The Last Airbender is out and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

shotgunbadger posted:

Gay Pimpin owns, even if you're not GBLT you'll laugh (though I have been told his voice is grating, dunno, I like it but I can see how people could get turned off).

I think Jonny's voice is great. If anything I get the most annoyed by Calpernia Adams doing that high-pitched "ooahhhhhhhhh" every time her name's mentioned.

Penis envy
Jan 22, 2010

You can trust me, I'm a doctor.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Speaking of people we're not sure are funny or not: Is anyone still listening to "Glitter in the Garbage".

I still listen but I agree with you completely that the best parts are the monologue and the ending. There were a couple of sketches I liked (the gay PIs comes to mind) but they all honestly seem the same to me.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Also, Mike Detective is such an enjoyable little nugget of comedy. The five or so minutes I spend listening to it a week is so fun.

Mike Detective is basically all of the puns and word play Scott likes to do on CDR condensed into its own podcast. I feel like you could do a wiki explaining the hundreds of references because I'll admit some of them go over my head.

Listening to the most recent one tonight I was reminded of Police Squad and Naked Gun as I think they share a lot in the way they make comedy. The fact that there haven't been any comedies in the vein of a Naked Gun in a long time makes Mike Detective really fun to listen to.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

Penis envy posted:

Listening to the most recent one tonight I was reminded of Police Squad and Naked Gun as I think they share a lot in the way they make comedy. The fact that there haven't been any comedies in the vein of a Naked Gun in a long time makes Mike Detective really fun to listen to.

A lot of movies still come out in that Zucker Abrahams Zucker style every year(Scary Movies, TEEN Movie, or whatever), they're just not very good. Those dudes are in their 60s now, but I know Abrahams directed Scary Movie 4. I don't know if the other ones are still active.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Rudy Riot posted:

A lot of movies still come out in that Zucker Abrahams Zucker style every year(Scary Movies, TEEN Movie, or whatever), they're just not very good. Those dudes are in their 60s now, but I know Abrahams directed Scary Movie 4. I don't know if the other ones are still active.

One of the big problems with the "X Movie" franchise is that if you haven't seen the dozen movies that came out the year before, the individual scenes aren't meaningful or funny, and the sources aren't necessarily connected by the same subject or theme, just that they came out in the same year. There's lots of other problems, but they're made with a pretty short shelf life. The really successful and hilarious ones that worked in the past were much more general: Airplane was spoofing the whole genre of airplane disaster movies, but also worked for anyone that's ever been on an airplane. The Naked Gun took from any number of police movies and TV shows, and moving into Mel Brooks' territory, Blazing Saddles was a great parody of the western genre in general. The Brooks movies got worse as the subject material got more specific--Spaceballs, Dracula Dead and Loving It, etc.

I think the only movie that's come out in the past years that is really in the tradition of the best ZAZ movies is Black Dynamite. Not only is it a brilliantly made film, but again, it's spoofing the entire genre of blaxploitation, rather than a specific example.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

My friend told me that the Penny Arcade dudes do a podcast. I don't really know much about them, has anyone listened to it?

Haven't listened to it, but I heard them on Jordan Jesse Go. Jesse put the episode up on his site, then pulled it down later that day because he decided he didn't want it out there.

They were really awful. Nasty, awkward, and all-around cringeworthy. They clearly didn't want to be there, but for some reason they never stood up and left, and instead sat there like horrible 12-year olds on a family vacation. They scoffed at every attempt to make jokes or talk to them and gave a lot of one-word answers. It was really, really weird.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

wafflesnsegways posted:

Haven't listened to it, but I heard them on Jordan Jesse Go. Jesse put the episode up on his site, then pulled it down later that day because he decided he didn't want it out there.

They were really awful. Nasty, awkward, and all-around cringeworthy. They clearly didn't want to be there, but for some reason they never stood up and left, and instead sat there like horrible 12-year olds on a family vacation. They scoffed at every attempt to make jokes or talk to them and gave a lot of one-word answers. It was really, really weird.

Did you happen to save the file? I love trainwrecks and making fun of those guys, so I would love to hear it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I listened to the PA podcast a while back and it was unfunny poo poo. OTOH I feel the same way about most of the favourites in this thread so V:downs:V.

In that vein though, The Drunk Tank is surprisingly entertaining even for a casual gamer like me who doesn't own any game consoles.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Groucho Marxist posted:

Did you happen to save the file? I love trainwrecks and making fun of those guys, so I would love to hear it.

Sorry, I don't have it. It's probably floating out there somewhere. Penny Arcade made a comic and blog post about it.

If you google it, there's the typical internet shitstorm about it, and the Penny Arcade guys and JJGo guys all weighed in. It basically boils down to Penny Arcade saying (a) Jesse is weird and (b) JJGo kept us waiting for a little while before the podcast. And that explains why they were passive aggressive dicks on microphone. Or something.

I wish I could remember some details of the show, but it was mostly just uncomfortable.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Crap, this reminded me of why I didn't go to PAX East last year. I already bought my pass this year. Ah well.

KING OF BLOGOSPHERE
Aug 26, 2008

Groucho Marxist posted:

I just found it, very awkward.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jnxmmm2jrmm

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
For those curious, the steak dinner happened. I'm bad with the 50/50 guessing.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

KING OF BLOGOSPHERE posted:

Sorry for the derail, but MY GF loves Pucca! Nice Av!

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

KING OF BLOGOSPHERE posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jnxmmm2jrmm

Thanks for posting this. The Penny Arcade guys are petulant children.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
If you play tabletop RPGs the D&D podcasts with them were funny.

sambafish
Sep 24, 2008

If you havin' hull problems I feel bad for you son/
I got 99 problems, but a breach ain't one/

wafflesnsegways posted:

Sorry, I don't have it. It's probably floating out there somewhere. Penny Arcade made a comic and blog post about it.

If you google it, there's the typical internet shitstorm about it, and the Penny Arcade guys and JJGo guys all weighed in. It basically boils down to Penny Arcade saying (a) Jesse is weird and (b) JJGo kept us waiting for a little while before the podcast. And that explains why they were passive aggressive dicks on microphone. Or something.

I wish I could remember some details of the show, but it was mostly just uncomfortable.

Wow, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as far as maybe not knowing what they got themselves into with JJG, but everything after that just comes off as mean-spirited and childish.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

krushgroove posted:

That's the one my friend was talking about. I'll give it a listen.

In other news, I started listening to NNF and I love it. Jimmy's voice is always hilarious to me.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

PFT on WTF was pretty boring... how the gently caress?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

krushgroove posted:

Yea their RPG podcasts are great mainly because it's just a few dudes who don't fully understand how to play bumbling through the game and not taking it seriously.

When they take themselves seriously both PA and Kurtz are insufferable douchebags.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Bunk Rogers posted:

His interview on Kevin Pollak was kind of a snooze too. He strikes me as someone who's moderately funny one-on-one and in interviews, but only gets supremely funny once he's in-character.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Majorian posted:

His interview on Kevin Pollak was kind of a snooze too. He strikes me as someone who's moderately funny one-on-one and in interviews, but only gets supremely funny once he's in-character.

I don't think he was trying to be funny?

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
WTF is a semi-serious interview show. It's not meant to be Crazy Wacky Fun Hour.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

WTF is a semi-serious interview show. It's not meant to be Crazy Wacky Fun Hour.

Yeah, I think this is an important distinction about WTF. He's talking to people about their comedy or show biz careers. Sometimes the people are hilarious or have had funny poo poo happen to them. Sometimes they are just kind of boring people who happen to have made a living in comedy or show biz. Kevin Pollack used to do stand up a lot in the 90's. It was decent at stand up. He relied heavily on impressions. Some comedians are really not on unless they are on stage or they hold their cards close and don't really talk to much about themselves. If Maron lucks out they have a nice back and forth that is funny to listen to. If not... its just an interview.

I would go see Maron in a heartbeat. His loving Bellhouse show is sold out for the good show like 4 weeks in advance.

I keep saying I am going to do Lou Reads Live but I'm having trouble finding a venue that will just let me sit on stage and read for more than 3 minutes. Open mics suck. I should start timing this poo poo out live.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Bunk Rogers posted:

It wasn't great compared to other WTFs, but it was some nice insight about my favorite comedian. I'm very excited about the Conan interview Maron hinted at, though.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

And now for something completely different...
:britain:
Do you like British comedians?
Do you like podcasts of British radio shows?
Do you like wordplay, whimsy and absurd regional accents?
:britain:
Why not try Frank Skinner's show on Absolute Radio?

Every week Frank, alongside co-hosts Emily (fashion journalist and all-round posh totty) and Gareth (less famous stand up comedian) round up the week's news, interview a special guest, usually another comedian, and discuss a plethora of diverse subjects.

They also do an exclusive midweek podcast to accompany their weekend radio show.

There are loads of British radio shows condensed as podcasts but I am a massive fan of Frank (working class slice-of-life humour with ridiculous wordplay thrown in) and the chemistry he's built up with his co-hosts is fantastic. If you're American a few of the local references my go over your head but it's definitely worth a shot if you want to try something new.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Brett Gelman is the best non-character CDR guest. Although to a certain extent his character is Brett Gelman. His moral outrage at "Is This News Story Real or False?" and frantic backpeddling during the ending of "Would You Rather?" utterly ruined me.

I'm glad he's unbanned now. Though for how long?!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Where did you get these news stories. THE LIES GAZETTE!!!

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

For those of you saying how much you hate Maron - have you ever actually heard his stand-up? Because it's much more "jokey" than his podcast intros, and it might warm you up to his material.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

In other news, I started listening to NNF and I love it. Jimmy's voice is always hilarious to me.
Do ya like a nice pant?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Strange Matter posted:

Brett Gelman is the best non-character CDR guest. Although to a certain extent his character is Brett Gelman. His moral outrage at "Is This News Story Real or False?" and frantic backpeddling during the ending of "Would You Rather?" utterly ruined me.

I'm glad he's unbanned now. Though for how long?!

I really do like how he has a good mix of 'character shows' and shows with just normal crazy fuckers who are their own character. Gelman indeed owns, and this year better have double the horrible stories!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Brock Samson posted:

Do ya like a nice pant?

I like a nice straight leg with a hard shoe. I don't mess around with a dungaree. And that's a nice piece of business. HA!

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
What a joy, huh?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

bananasinpajamas posted:

I don't think he was trying to be funny?

Well, that's basically what I'm saying, really - I think most comics aren't as funny in interviews as they are doing their act or playing a character.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Majorian posted:

Well, that's basically what I'm saying, really - I think most comics aren't as funny in interviews as they are doing their act or playing a character.

You do know most interviews are not meant to be funny, but rather informative and interesting, right?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Forum Hussy posted:

What a joy, huh?

That is 100% perfect. I don't know why he's sleeping on breakfast, but it doesn't matter.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

shotgunbadger posted:

You do know most interviews are not meant to be funny, but rather informative and interesting, right?

Yes. Yes I am aware of this. This is why I was explaining why Paul F. Tompkins was not as funny on WTF as Bunk Rogers had hoped.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

wafflesnsegways posted:

That is 100% perfect. I don't know why he's sleeping on breakfast, but it doesn't matter.

The story about his pre-kindergarten son Oliver saying "How ya' playin', boys?" like a 1930's guy while watching baseball on TV cracks me up every time.

Pardo's like a reincarnated old-timey gangster movie trans-Atlantic accent guy.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Jimmy Pardo, Kevin Smith, and Rob Hubell on DLM! :psyboom:

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

NecronSchmecron posted:

Jimmy Pardo, Kevin Smith, and Rob Hubell on DLM! :psyboom:

I listened to the first half on my commute in this morning and so far it has been a great show. Pardo gets some good jabs in at Smith over his Southwest issues right from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Smith was so insufferably full of himself on WTF that it would be cool to hear someone bring him down a notch. Downloading that DLM later.

edit: you know who else was awful on WTF? Henry Rollins. Good lord. I couldn't take more than a half hour of it before deleting it. At least Kevin Smith was kinda funny.

• Locked thread