Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Talking to stop signs and generally being batshit insane is pretty far from "GO IN AND GO IN AND GO IN LIKE THE US MARSHALL AND HIS THREE DAUGHTERS AND WE LOSE THE VACCINE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Cheezymadman posted:

God I hate the Malkavian Mod. "Random humor" for the Invader Zim crowd.

I dunno. When it's not a proper sentence, it's just MONKEY CHEESE bullshit. Other parts make me :haw: though

"Paul! I...
...I...
...I thought you were a GEP gun."

"Look, I'll be blunt. I get paid for killing the whole country."

"Please give me a weapon like the infinite power of nanoaugmentation. Agent Orange knows I like nanoaugmentation technology."

"That will be adequate. Please proceed up the stairs to the junk pile. I will take my rusty metal skul-gun."

orange lime fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 16, 2011

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Cheezymadman posted:

Talking to stop signs and generally being batshit insane is pretty far from "GO IN AND GO IN AND GO IN LIKE THE US MARSHALL AND HIS THREE DAUGHTERS AND WE LOSE THE VACCINE"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4

This one's better anyway.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Male Man posted:

If the second point had ended up really showing in the game, it'd be a big siren to attentive players that she does not know Paul. Then they'd immediately know that she was full of poo poo and start pawing through her documents.

Of interest, on my VERY FIRST playthrough of the game, after speaking with Chow I was intrigued by her comment about how secrets in Hong Kong are rarely kept in the open. I immediately set to work pawing through her house (and tranqing her maid) to see what secrets she might be hiding. Of interest was a hanging pagoda lamp that was an interactable object.

v:haw:v

Seconds later I sent her a GEP-Gun sendoff and had the dragon sword in hand. I've wondered how much of the game I skipped in doing that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
About, ooh, 10 minutes at most?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Revener posted:

Of interest, on my VERY FIRST playthrough of the game, after speaking with Chow I was intrigued by her comment about how secrets in Hong Kong are rarely kept in the open. I immediately set to work pawing through her house (and tranqing her maid) to see what secrets she might be hiding. Of interest was a hanging pagoda lamp that was an interactable object.

v:haw:v

I was more intrigued by the "MJ12: -cough-" subtitle that popped up and ruined everything. Between that and the spotty sequence-breaking you could inadvertently do (leading to having the "Find the Dragon's Tooth Sword") quest in your journal uncompleted for the rest of the game) that was a really spotty segment that could have been done a lot better.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

Cheezymadman posted:

This guys username is cheezymadman

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I can't remember the in game explanation of why Maggie Chow would send you off to find evidence that she was lying, then just abandons the sword in her apartment.

Is she just a bit crazy?

Why not tell you that the dragon tooth sword is hidden in one of the triad bases causing mayhem?

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I was more intrigued by the "MJ12: -cough-" subtitle that popped up and ruined everything. Between that and the spotty sequence-breaking you could inadvertently do (leading to having the "Find the Dragon's Tooth Sword") quest in your journal uncompleted for the rest of the game) that was a really spotty segment that could have been done a lot better.

Oh man, that's pretty lame. And here I felt like king clever of the puzzle dimension for figuring that one out. I have to say, though, that level was still handled infinitely better than the Sub base.

drizzle posted:

This guys username is cheezymadman

My name's Indian but I'm still white as Christmas.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Ben Soosneb posted:

I can't remember the in game explanation of why Maggie Chow would send you off to find evidence that she was lying, then just abandons the sword in her apartment.

Is she just a bit crazy?

Why not tell you that the dragon tooth sword is hidden in one of the triad bases causing mayhem?

Well, keep in mind that everyone on the anti-JC side expects him to be shut down at any minute by the killswitch. Her objective is probably just to delay him until the killswitch goes off; even if he isn't taken out by the police for breaking into their headquarters, her hope would be that he might be delayed long enough that it won't matter. She also might not have known about the evidence against her that you end up finding there.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
One really small but dumb thing: in the mall with the Lucky Money, the three cops standing outside are all named Eddie Tam. Guess VersaLife pays their rent by leasing out their cloning vats to the Chinese.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CaptainWinky posted:

One really small but dumb thing: in the mall with the Lucky Money, the three cops standing outside are all named Eddie Tam. Guess VersaLife pays their rent by leasing out their cloning vats to the Chinese.

All look same.

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn

CaptainWinky posted:

Maybe it has something to do with the area being called "Eddie Way"?

small change
Nov 11, 2006
Goons complaining about what they classify as "random humour" using the words monkey, cheese etc. is becoming as grating and pathetic as everyone they didn't like being hipsters a few months back.

Deus Ex is great and chalk me up as another person who's reinstalled the game because of this thread. Am up to Hong Kong already, it's the best video game level.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

small change posted:

Goons complaining about what they classify as "random humour" using the words monkey, cheese etc. is becoming as grating and pathetic as everyone they didn't like being hipsters a few months back.

Deus Ex is great and chalk me up as another person who's reinstalled the game because of this thread. Am up to Hong Kong already, it's the best video game level.

Did you kill Private Lloyd?

and ^^^ abit, I'd completely forgotten that your kill switch was still on at that point captainrat! I suppose that does explain it a bit.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

small change posted:

I agree *farts*

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Hard Clumping posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4

This one's better anyway.

See, now this actually made me laugh, unlike the Malkavian mod. There's a fine line when it comes to ridiculous humor where if you keep it focused but then throw a layer of the surreal onto it, it's loving hilarious. Particularly the guy on the docks.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Fuzz posted:

See, now this actually made me laugh, unlike the Malkavian mod. There's a fine line when it comes to ridiculous humor where if you keep it focused but then throw a layer of the surreal onto it, it's loving hilarious. Particularly the guy on the docks.

Here's a picture!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I dunno, it has its moments.

Such as everything in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZtea9XsPt4

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
When I first heard of it I thought it was called the Machiavellian Mod. I'm not sure what I thought it would be like.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Walton Simons posted:

When I first heard of it I thought it was called the Machiavellian Mod. I'm not sure what I thought it would be like.

Thanks rear end in a top hat, now I'll be attempting to imagine this for weeks :v:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Walton Simons posted:

Oh, that's the one where you play as Morgan Everett.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Men ought either to be indulged or utterly destroyed, for if you merely offend them they take vengeance, but if you use the GEP gun they are unable to retaliate, so that the injury done to a man ought to be such that vengeance cannot be feared.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Decrepus posted:

Men ought either to be indulged or utterly destroyed, for if you merely offend them they take vengeance, but if you use the GEP gun they are unable to retaliate, so that the injury done to a man ought to be such that vengeance cannot be feared.

I.. :stare:

Anyway, I uninstalled Shifter so I could do a crazy-rear end low-tech runthrough with the Speed augmentation, so I can crawl around really fast like a crazy fucker, completely and kill all of the Terrorists.

With Shifter all I kept doing was a boring non-lethal runthrough to try to get that one unique baton that spawns in Paul's apartment, but I kept loving it up in one way or another.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hard Clumping posted:

I.. :stare:

Anyway, I uninstalled Shifter so I could do a crazy-rear end low-tech runthrough with the Speed augmentation, so I can crawl around really fast like a crazy fucker, completely and kill all of the Terrorists.

With Shifter all I kept doing was a boring non-lethal runthrough to try to get that one unique baton that spawns in Paul's apartment, but I kept loving it up in one way or another.

That spawns only if you go nonlethal? I had no idea. Last time I played through it was just kinda there and I thought "This is handy" and then I found the Dragon's Tooth and figured it was handier. I went a full speed/damage absorber with Master melee. Kinda like the Flash except for the nanotech death sword that I would swing around wildly.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

In Training posted:

That spawns only if you go nonlethal? I had no idea. Last time I played through it was just kinda there and I thought "This is handy" and then I found the Dragon's Tooth and figured it was handier. I went a full speed/damage absorber with Master melee. Kinda like the Flash except for the nanotech death sword that I would swing around wildly.

It spawns earlier if Paul's happy with how you conduct yourself up til Hell's Kitchen. You can still get it if you kill dudes. Not sure how though.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I'm not 100% but I think the unique blackjack turns up on a later return to NY in the hotel reception area. Don't know if it depends on you saving the Renton's or not.

Pretty sure it was there on my last run through and I was doing a deliberate gun the gently caress out of everybody effort.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
So I had a scope and a shitload of accuracy mods on my stealth pistol, and I used that against everything soft for the first part of the game. It was headshot city, and no one ever knew where I was until I ventilated their skull. After I got captured by MJ12, I figured I could just get it back and go crazy in there. When I picked up my gear in the armory, I didn't have the scope anymore. So now I need to find a new one. Any ideas? This is my third or fourth playthrough, but I never used scopes before except for the sniper, so I have no idea where to find one in Hong Kong or beyond.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Decrepus posted:

And that Denton who bases his power entirely on words, finding himself completely without explosive armaments, comes to ruin.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Cheezymadman posted:

So I had a scope and a shitload of accuracy mods on my stealth pistol, and I used that against everything soft for the first part of the game. It was headshot city, and no one ever knew where I was until I ventilated their skull. After I got captured by MJ12, I figured I could just get it back and go crazy in there. When I picked up my gear in the armory, I didn't have the scope anymore. So now I need to find a new one. Any ideas? This is my third or fourth playthrough, but I never used scopes before except for the sniper, so I have no idea where to find one in Hong Kong or beyond.

If I recall correctly, you can't find another one until Paris. One of the WIBs, either in the cathedral or the one in the catacombs, has one sitting around somewhere.

If you don't mind cheating to restore the status quo, you can always just summon one. Really the scope should still be on there, right?

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
When you rescue your stuff from the armoury, it's your things on the shelves on the bottom floor isn't it? With all the stuff upstairs being new goodies.

I always thought it went with the most 'modded' value when you picked up stuff, but as that's the only point in the game where I think you can possibly pick up already modded weapons, I'm not sure how it works.

I guess the stealth pistol could have been stuck up on the top shelf in the the armoury and it got missed?

I'm sure I found one in hong kong. I have memories of chucking them away.

Is there one in the police station or in the flooded collapsed tunnel?

Or just cheat one in. You should have it anyway.

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.
So I have a question. Has anyone else ever visited the shootout in Hell's Kitchen only to be greeted with silence? I can't find the screenshot I took, but on one playthrough when I got there, there were no NPCs. No bodies or blood smears, or even noise. Just nothing. Later I was bitched at for not helping, but nevermind right.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ben Soosneb posted:

When you rescue your stuff from the armoury, it's your things on the shelves on the bottom floor isn't it? With all the stuff upstairs being new goodies.

I always thought it went with the most 'modded' value when you picked up stuff, but as that's the only point in the game where I think you can possibly pick up already modded weapons, I'm not sure how it works.

I guess the stealth pistol could have been stuck up on the top shelf in the the armoury and it got missed?

I'm sure I found one in hong kong. I have memories of chucking them away.

Is there one in the police station or in the flooded collapsed tunnel?

Or just cheat one in. You should have it anyway.

If you picked up a plain stealth pistol and then pick up a modded one, you keep the plain one and the modded one is destroyed and turned into a couple rounds of ammo. Best practice is to dump everything before picking up your old gear so that there's no mistake.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Someone waaay earlier in the thread mentioned a (secret?) southern section to the Ocean Lab level. What part of the level was this in? The first part above water, the underwater section before you use the mini-sub, or the final part after that? I may have unknowingly visited it but I can't remember any section that was very well hidden and may have thus missed it just as easily.

Also in Maggie Chow's apartment tower, there is a small door panel that you see as you take the elevator up to her apartment. When riding in the elevator you literally see it flash but can't stop to examine it, so how do you get to this thing? I can't seem to access it through the floor under construction(below her apartment), nor can I reach it through the hidden complex where you get the Dragon's Tooth. The door is the one at the 8 minute mark in this video.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dr Snofeld posted:

It spawns earlier if Paul's happy with how you conduct yourself up til Hell's Kitchen. You can still get it if you kill dudes. Not sure how though.

The script for checking if Paul is happy fires by checking all the bodies on Liberty Island for dead vs unconscious status. If there are no "dead" corpses, it doesn't count against you. (Blow them up with one of the many explosive crates.)

You may get a couple bodies leeway, its been a while since I bothered testing it out. Killing everything and stacking its corpse in a pile on Liberty takes forever since the level is so expansive.

small change
Nov 11, 2006

Ben Soosneb posted:

Did you kill Private Lloyd?

No, he always lives.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Jive One posted:

Also in Maggie Chow's apartment tower, there is a small door panel that you see as you take the elevator up to her apartment. When riding in the elevator you literally see it flash but can't stop to examine it, so how do you get to this thing? I can't seem to access it through the floor under construction(below her apartment), nor can I reach it through the hidden complex where you get the Dragon's Tooth. The door is the one at the 8 minute mark in this video.

I'm pretty sure I opened this with a well timed GEP gun shot. There isn't a whole lot in that room, but you get some extra dialogue and another entrance into her secret base.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Jive One posted:

Take the other elevator. The code is in the lobby's public terminal right next to it.

E: Awwww... voice acting...
Maggie Chow: Ret's just say I persuaded him to join our side.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 17, 2011

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Hogburto posted:

"Mistah JC Denton...in da fresh"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Hogburto posted:

Take the other elevator. The code is in the lobby's public terminal right next to it.

Told ya she hosed him.

...or wait, is she talking about Max Chen? Or Bob Page? Or someone I'm not even thinking of? I was positive that she had some kind of relationship with Paul.

[e]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VroLwbhgzQg

orange lime fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 17, 2011