Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

tendrilsfor20 posted:

There isn't a thread for The Road, but I have a question:

SERIOUS SPOILERS

srsly u guise, spoilers below

So at the end, after Papa succumbs to the infection, the kid miraculously finds a loving family to take him in so he can play with other kids.

srsly, stop reading if you haven't read The Road

He killed himself, right? He used the last bullet so he could go to Heaven, but The Road has hosed up the kid so bad that the best Heaven he can conceive is a hardscrabble life of scrounging with other people, because any human contact is better than nothing.

Am I close?

McCarthy tends to like his ambiguity so this is just my opinion but

I interpreted it literally. The father of the boy he saw earlier in the novel noticed (or was told by the boy) that boy's own father was sick and likely dying so the man followed the two until the end and brought the boy back with him to his own family. Not sure if that's right but that's how I interpreted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

tendrilsfor20 posted:

There isn't a thread for The Road, but I have a question:

SERIOUS SPOILERS

srsly u guise, spoilers below

So at the end, after Papa succumbs to the infection, the kid miraculously finds a loving family to take him in so he can play with other kids.

srsly, stop reading if you haven't read The Road

He killed himself, right? He used the last bullet so he could go to Heaven, but The Road has hosed up the kid so bad that the best Heaven he can conceive is a hardscrabble life of scrounging with other people, because any human contact is better than nothing.

Am I close?

I thought you couldn't be that serious. Will postpone reading The Road until I forget this post.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

rasser posted:

I thought you couldn't be that serious. Will postpone reading The Road until I forget this post.

Wow you're an idiot.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm about halfway through Stephen King's The Stand, and I was thinking of checking out the TV miniseries after I was done (mostly out of curiosity). Has anyone seen it, and is it any good? It doesn't have to be super amazing, just as long as it's not as embarassingly bad as so many of King's movies.

Also, I guess I have the new ~*SPECIAL EDITION*~, but when I tried to get through the original version in high school way back when, I could've sworn that they started off differently. Has anyone read both versions that they could verify?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Has anyone read N.K. Jemisin's first two books in her Inheritance Trilogy?

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
The Broken Kingdoms

I was reading the second book's blurb first, on Audible (because it didn't say it was book two), and it sounded rather compelling, with a good mix of magic and medievalism.

From Audible.com posted:

The gods have broken free after centuries of slavery, and the world holds its breath, fearing their vengeance. The saga of mortals and immortals continues in The Broken Kingdoms. In the city of Shadow, beneath the World Tree, alleyways shimmer with magic and godlings live hidden among mortalkind. Oree Shoth, a blind artist, takes in a homeless man who glows like a living sun to her strange sight.

This act of kindness engulfs Oree in a nightmarish conspiracy.

Someone, somehow, is murdering godlings, leaving their desecrated bodies all over the city. Oree's peculiar guest is at the heart of it, his presence putting her in mortal danger - but is it him the killers want, or Oree? And is the earthly power of the Arameri king their ultimate goal, or have they set their sights on the Lord of Night himself?

Just looking for a fellow goon's opinion.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 29, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm about halfway through Stephen King's The Stand, and I was thinking of checking out the TV miniseries after I was done (mostly out of curiosity). Has anyone seen it, and is it any good? It doesn't have to be super amazing, just as long as it's not as embarassingly bad as so many of King's movies.

It starts good but ends weak.

I guess you could say the same for the book though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's a bizarre miniseries in that it's simultaneously really well made, and really goofy and cheesy. The first episode (which covers the first 400 pages or so of the book) is pretty much non-stop brilliant (apart from Harold Lauder). The disease is done really well and the victims look disgusting, so kudos to the makeup department. There are some brilliant set pieces, like the Lincoln Tunnel; and Gary Sinise as Stu and Rob Lowe as Nick are just really loving fantastic. Also included is Dr Kelso from Scrubs as Frannie's dad!

It really starts to get goofy when Mother Abigail and Randall Flagg are introduced. And for some reason the production values really start to go south form the second episode on. Definitely watch it for the first episode though, because it's still great.

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain
A couple weeks ago I bought a nature guide at a used bookstore intending to cut out the illustrations and frame them. Any ideas on how best to remove the pages from a hard cover book? All I could think of was taking a razor as close to the inside of the page as possible to cut it free, but if anyone has experience actually undoing the binding or the spine of the book please clue me in.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

It's a bizarre miniseries in that it's simultaneously really well made, and really goofy and cheesy. The first episode (which covers the first 400 pages or so of the book) is pretty much non-stop brilliant (apart from Harold Lauder). The disease is done really well and the victims look disgusting, so kudos to the makeup department. There are some brilliant set pieces, like the Lincoln Tunnel; and Gary Sinise as Stu and Rob Lowe as Nick are just really loving fantastic. Also included is Dr Kelso from Scrubs as Frannie's dad!

It really starts to get goofy when Mother Abigail and Randall Flagg are introduced. And for some reason the production values really start to go south form the second episode on. Definitely watch it for the first episode though, because it's still great.

Sounds cool, thanks, I'll check it out. So far, I haven't seen much of Flagg in the book, but he seems like the kind of character that would be kind of tricky to convey on the screen anyways.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
They turn him into a guy with a mullet and wearing double denim.

Just, ugh. :ughh:

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
I personally like to imagine that The Stand miniseries ends after the first episode's opening credits, but that's just me.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

danifestmestny posted:

A couple weeks ago I bought a nature guide at a used bookstore intending to cut out the illustrations and frame them. Any ideas on how best to remove the pages from a hard cover book? All I could think of was taking a razor as close to the inside of the page as possible to cut it free, but if anyone has experience actually undoing the binding or the spine of the book please clue me in.
You're on the right track; you're gonna want to just slice out the pages in question. Go to a craft store and go into their scrapbooking section and take a look at all the goodies there. Bring an Aunt or Grandma (yours or someone else's, doesn't matter), they will be able to fill you in on which arcane, torture-chamber-looking blade is right for what you want (though I imagine just an X-Acto will do the trick)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

tendrilsfor20 posted:

You're on the right track; you're gonna want to just slice out the pages in question. Go to a craft store and go into their scrapbooking section and take a look at all the goodies there. Bring an Aunt or Grandma (yours or someone else's, doesn't matter), they will be able to fill you in on which arcane, torture-chamber-looking blade is right for what you want (though I imagine just an X-Acto will do the trick)
Yeah any good straight blade and a steady hand will work, even a pair of good sharp scissors opened to the max can be used to slice out pages, the trick is keeping it straight. One of those oldschool wooden rulers with a metal edge can be used as a straightedge, or you can just slice it super deep and then trim off the sketchy bits afterward.

Be sure and use some kind of backing if you care about the other pages, or just go for broke and throw the whole thing away after you're done.

Mister Macys posted:

Has anyone read N.K. Jemisin's first two books in her Inheritance Trilogy?

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
The Broken Kingdoms

I was reading the second book's blurb first, on Audible (because it didn't say it was book two), and it sounded rather compelling, with a good mix of magic and medievalism.

Just looking for a fellow goon's opinion.
I picked this up on audible on a lark and it started off terribly cliche with the protagonist naming herself as some seventy word long name, but it's interesting as far as I've gotten in the first couple chapters outside of the Sephiroth analogue.. The audiobook on audible is narrated by a black woman which only shines through when she uses character dialogue and suddenly sounds like a punk kid from 'bama, or Maya Angelou. It has a really interesting premise thus far, though.

Edit: Also there's an Aunt Jemima character. Or at least that's how the voice actor does it. :laugh:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 2, 2011

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I bought a bunch of William Gibson books in a lot off eBay a couple of years ago, because they were cheap and I wanted to get around to reading them after listening to the audiobooks of Virtual Light and Neuromancer (but not having the sequels readily available in audio). I was going through them today and not only is my copy of Idoru an ARC, but it's been autographed by Gibson himself :3:

(I dunno, just wanted to share.) Anyone else have any cool used book finds?

Lealoo
Nov 29, 2005

This is a long shot, but I'm looking for a children's book I had when I was little. I'm 32 now, and I started reading very young, so it could easily be 30 years old. It was a picture book about a little house in a meadow where a bunch of sisters lived. Each sister was different, one was book-ish, another baked, another one was super pretty. One day they found a bunny and nursed it back to health. Anybody have any clues?

edit: Google failed me, but ebay didn't! http://cgi.ebay.com/Once-Upon-Time-Meadow-Rose-Selarose-/190474803641?pt=US_Childrens_Books&hash=item2c592ed9b9#ht_483wt_1171

Lealoo fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 15, 2011

vesperaNovus
Feb 15, 2011
Greetings book lovers. For those of you that are still library lovers, I have developed a free Android app that will notify you of book due dates. It is named Biblioholic and you can read more about it here, and it has been featured on XDA developers here. I am currently looking for feedback and I'd like to make sure it works on many different devices.

I've kept it simple. You simply add a book title and the day that it's due, select how many days in advance you want to be notified, and hit Done. It will autocomplete library names you reuse. You can also tell the internet about the book you are checking out via Twitter.

My todo list:
  • Integrate due date into Google Calendar
  • Send email reminder about due date.

Even if you don't have an android phone you can help me with this as I also have some questions for you guys:
  1. How many books do you usually check out at a time?
  2. Do you also check out a significant amount of other media?

Let me know what you think! :)

vesperaNovus fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 19, 2011

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I typically have 6 to 12 library books at once, all from the same library system. I never check out other types of media. I frequently renew books, and the program seems to have no option for that. Maybe an "add one week to duration" button for fast renewing? I guess the Twitter feature could be handy for some, but I wouldn't use it.

I'd recommend letting the user set a default check-out duration for newly added books. Hardly anyone will be adding a book that's due in one day, so it would be faster to add books if we could set that standard value rather than having to select it each time.

My library sends out email reminders a few days before books are due, so remembering due dates isn't an issue for me. I noticed the description says it's a 30 day trial? I'm a heavy library user, but this isn't something I'd pay for, especially since I could just as easily add due dates into either my Google calendar or a decent to-do list app, both of which offer reminders.

vesperaNovus
Feb 15, 2011

deety posted:

I frequently renew books, and the program seems to have no option for that. Maybe an "add one week to duration" button for fast renewing?

That's a great idea, I'll add that to the list.

quote:

I'd recommend letting the user set a default check-out duration for newly added books.

Another great idea. How about it just keeping the last used checkout length? Should be pretty easy to do.

quote:

I noticed the description says it's a 30 day trial? I'm a heavy library user, but this isn't something I'd pay for

The 30 day trial is just a preliminary thing while I gauge interest. Other options are just making it free with a "donation" paid version, or putting ads at the bottom.

Thanks for the great feedback. I made this for my spouse as we check out tons of books for children from 2 different systems and they get tossed around everywhere.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
What happened to the Russian literature thread? I recently started Crime and Punishment and wanted to see if anyone had posted about it.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

z0331 posted:

What happened to the Russian literature thread? I recently started Crime and Punishment and wanted to see if anyone had posted about it.
I was wondering that too. I posted the thread like a year or two ago but it just sunk, sunk, sunk. Now it's gone.

I'll restart it now.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390257

bearic fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 17, 2011

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I bought a bunch of William Gibson books in a lot off eBay a couple of years ago, because they were cheap and I wanted to get around to reading them after listening to the audiobooks of Virtual Light and Neuromancer (but not having the sequels readily available in audio). I was going through them today and not only is my copy of Idoru an ARC, but it's been autographed by Gibson himself :3:

(I dunno, just wanted to share.) Anyone else have any cool used book finds?
Angela Carter's library ended up in a Charing Cross Rd bookshop after she died. I've got her copy of Hollywood Babylon II, and nabbed a Lovecraft collection from it as writer-juju for a mate too.

And I found a first edition of Larry Niven's Ringworld (the one where the Earth rotates the wrong way) on a market stall in London's East End for £1.

vesperaNovus
Feb 15, 2011
Made an update to Biblioholic thanks to feedback.

v0.9.1: Added renew book ability, Added default checkout length (default is 21 days)

As usual, any further feedback is appreciated.

Latest Screenshots:

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I randomly signed up for a chance to win some books on Goodreads. Looks like I'll be getting a new book to read in a 4-6 weeks. It's called The Sandalwood Tree, by Elle Newmark. Anyone else every win anything from there?

Thought it was pretty neat to 'win' something. Hopefully it turns out to be a decent read. :|

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Loosechanj, any chance you can sticky the new poem of the month thread?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

knees of putty posted:

Loosechanj, any chance you can sticky the new poem of the month thread?

Aw crap I totally forgot to do that didn't I?

:negative:

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

LooseChanj posted:

Aw crap I totally forgot to do that didn't I?

:negative:

Thanks. I think you made the Don Quixote disappear as well though!

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

knees of putty posted:

you made the Don Quixote disappear as well though!

Fucks' sake. :suicide:

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Whatever happened to the book swap thread? Wasn't that supposed to happen in January or something?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

In Australia, both Borders and Angus & Robertson are teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. Do any Australian goons know if this means we can soon expect masses of free/heavily discounted books?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Won't they return most of their stock to the publishers for a tiny amount of the money they paid for it in the first place?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If you say so. :( I don't know how these things work.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
They're probably trying to figure out a way to return every book in Australia without destroying the publishing industry.

I think in most cases you can only return like 30% of an invoice though, so there's still a good chance you'll see big sales.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Borders went bust in my town and there was a crazy sale on every single book. I got there a day late and anything remotely good was gone.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Dr Scoofles posted:

Borders went bust in my town and there was a crazy sale on every single book. I got there a day late and anything remotely good was gone.

I heard the sales weren't really that good.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Florida Betty posted:

I heard the sales weren't really that good.

That didn't stop people at my nearest Borders. I went the evening the sale started and the line to checkout ran all the way through the store and started to curve back around to the front. They made an announcement at 8pm saying that the store closed at 10 and the wait in line was 2 hours so get in line now if you want to buy something today.

edit: and yes, the sale was only 20% on books. This past weekend they raised it to 25% off for books. I have my eye on a couple of expensive things but I'll wait until the prices go down further, or I'll go without.

DrGonzo90 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 7, 2011

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Yeah, the one near my work had those same discounts. I picked up both halves of THe Book of the New Sun for 20% off, but I haven't gone on a buying spree just yet.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DrGonzo90 posted:

That didn't stop people at my nearest Borders. I went the evening the sale started and the line to checkout ran all the way through the store and started to curve back around to the front. They made an announcement at 8pm saying that the store closed at 10 and the wait in line was 2 hours so get in line now if you want to buy something today.

edit: and yes, the sale was only 20% on books. This past weekend they raised it to 25% off for books. I have my eye on a couple of expensive things but I'll wait until the prices go down further, or I'll go without.

Liquidation sales are never actually good. What happens is a third party gets hired to sell everything off and they advertise everything as being HOLY loving poo poo 80% OFF!!!!! when that's not really reflective of the prices the company in liquidation charged in the first place.

That whatever% off might be as much or more than what the original company was selling a given item for. This is standard practice. Basically people's brains go all retarded when they see SALE SALE SALE! bullshit and they abandon all rational thought because gently caress man that's 80% off! (80% off of what? who cares!)

By the time there's any actually good deals anything decent has been picked over by stupids. Unless you want to pick up some store furniture on the cheap.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Talking of book sales, I hate when there's a Rotary book sale at my uni or wherever, and some douchebag who owns a second hand bookstore is there with his brothers or friends, all holding enormous boxes and just piling books in without even looking at the titles. They're getting good-condition paperbacks for a buck a piece then selling them for $9 or more at their own stores, and by the time other people get to the tables a ton of the good stuff is gone.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

OK, I was right - Borders is 20% off today and Angus & Robertson is 50% off. Why, that's almost as cheap as ordering from overseas in the first place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Whaaaaaat

I am going to my nearby Borders & A&R tomorrow.