Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It's been a while since I posted some pics of Shadow. He's obviously very GSD-y, but what else? I've always just said GSD/lab mutt, but now that I think about it, there's not really any reason to believe he has any lab in him (other than being all black, but so can GSDs). His personality is nothing like that of a lab's. His ears are neither GSD nor lab, no webbed feet, etc. His only passion in life is chasing squirrels. I've actually had a lot of people say they see greyhound in him, but I dunno. :confused:

The first two are pics of him after finding out some small creature lives in that hill. You can see how his tail curls up over his back when excited, it sticks farther up than in these pictures - the second picture being about half-mast. When alert his ears stick out to the sides. I'm sorry for the incoming wave of photos (no I'm not).

Standing on a log, surveying the area for squirrels.

Click here for the full 615x820 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
This is Popcorn. Adoption agency said he was a Boston terrier/lhasa apso mix. His DNA breed report says he has Staffordshire terrier, poodle, French Bulldog and a whole lot of "mixed breed" in him.

He likes to pull his legs under him when he lies down, and when his hair is long he looks kind of like a caterpillar

Post haircut:

He always looks so worried

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:

Skizzles posted:

This is the best picture ever :3:
He looks so drat happy to be outside and exploring.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It is his Favorite Thing Ever. :3: I have it framed by my bed.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Skizzles posted:

It is his Favorite Thing Ever. :3: I have it framed by my bed.

That is not your dog that is a picture of a bear

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

I Love You! posted:

That is not your dog that is a picture of a bear

He's part Karelian Bear Dog! :colbert: ...emphasis on the bear.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 17, 2011

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
Here is Spud.

Spud was adopted at the shelter three years ago by my fiance's parents but I've pretty much taken over owning him because I think they do a sucky job at it.

We've never quite known what he is. But we've heard things like: corgi, pitbull, bulldog, and cattle dog.

Today I was at Pet Supplies Plus and we turned the corner and some guy glanced and said "oh a corgi!" and then when he actually looked said "woah! That's the face of a pitbull!"

He's a sweetie, a smartie, and a cuddler. He's verrrry needy.

I don't even like dogs, but he's grown on me.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
^^^ Corgi with the face of a pit bull you say?

(He's Dragon, my favorite shelter dog who recently went to a bully rescue. :3: )

I dunno, personally I don't see much corgi in Spud, but definitely some pittie or bulldog. Though I guess his ears are kind of corgi-esque... who knows. Cute nonetheless.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I think we need some more picture of Spud in order to develop a better idea of his body shape. Maybe some more full body shots from ground level, and some action shots. Definitely more pictures.

Lots more pictures.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
Spud's ears make me think of a french bulldog. They're about that size too, right?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Sutureself posted:

Spud's ears make me think of a french bulldog. They're about that size too, right?

french bulldgs are toy breeds

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
You requested more Spud pictures, you get more Spud pictures. Couldn't get any of him in action because 1) my camera isn't that good and 2) I think he was on to me because he started to mug for the camera.

I tried to get various angles.

Spud loaf.

I love that mane on the back of his neck. Reminds me of a hyena.

omgmypony
Oct 5, 2005

wii wii wii wii wii wii wii

What's that?

Homer says he sees another American Bulldog mix!

photogurl
Jan 1, 2011

anaaki posted:

Pocket pitty!

Don't care what people think she does have hound in her!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

omgmypony posted:

Homer says he sees another American Bulldog mix!

agreeing w/ dis

corgi/american bulldog looks about right I think?

omgmypony
Oct 5, 2005

I dunno those speckles say hound to me. I'd say American Bulldog/mystery hound.

Homer concurs!

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
Looking at pictures of American Bulldogs, I toootally see it. Especially the dogs on this page: http://www.laurakennels.com/ Those brown patches are just like his. The stature too. And the smile.

e: After searching "American bulldog corgi mix" I found this: http://www.treetopsrescue.org/animals/detail?AnimalID=1222332 Haha. What goofy looking bastard. And VERY similar to spud (aside from color).

anaaki fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 20, 2011

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Upon closer inspection, I think Spud may have fallen out of a Dr. Seuss book.

I totally see the American Bulldog in the freckles and his general shape, but where's the rest of his legs?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
he is a rare miniature american bulldog

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
And the ears?

ColorblindDesigner
Feb 18, 2011
Here is Cooper, my mutt. I got him from a rescue and have no idea what he is. His paper work from a vet at three months says he is a dachshund mix , the next shelter he was at says he is a Basset hound mix and now that he is older he looks like a Vizsla with a dwarf gene or something like that. Either way, he is awesome except for his chewing issue.

When we first got him.

Here he is now.

Edit: Photo resize.

ColorblindDesigner fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 21, 2011

rysfade
Mar 31, 2009
Making my first post ever to see what you guys think my dog Holly might be. I adopted her from a small county shelter in Northern California two years ago. The surrendering owners had her listed as a Bull Terrier mix, but I think with the area she's from its a lot more likely that she's an actual Pit Bull mix, or some variant. A lot of the time I list her as a straight 'Herding breed mix' because of the inevitable "baby eater! zomg" looks I get here in the mid-west.

She's such a sweetheart, and loves to cuddle.

Click here for the full 519x778 image.

She loves water, as long as she doesn't go in above her feet. She runs away from waves. :rolleyes:

Modeling a Camelback.

Pointing at herself in the sliding glass door.

Butt spot! :3:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

rysfade posted:

Making my first post ever to see what you guys think my dog Holly might be. I adopted her from a small county shelter in Northern California two years ago. The surrendering owners had her listed as a Bull Terrier mix, but I think with the area she's from its a lot more likely that she's an actual Pit Bull mix, or some variant. A lot of the time I list her as a straight 'Herding breed mix' because of the inevitable "baby eater! zomg" looks I get here in the mid-west.

She's such a sweetheart, and loves to cuddle.

Click here for the full 519x778 image.

First thought was a cross between a Jack Russel Terrier and short coated Border Collie. There could be some pit in there, but almost all mutts end up looking kind of pitty.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
I was going to say the same thing.

rysfade
Mar 31, 2009

a life less posted:

First thought was a cross between a Jack Russel Terrier and short coated Border Collie. There could be some pit in there, but almost all mutts end up looking kind of pitty.

I think the short coated Border Collie is definitely a possibility, especially since there's a couple of them at the local rescue that look a lot like her. Not really seeing the Jack Russell though. One of my friends has one and we were just down there this weekend- she's well over twice his size (she weighs 45lbs) and her head and muzzle are really broad.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

ColorblindDesigner posted:

When we first got him.

Pit x dachshund

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

rysfade posted:

I think the short coated Border Collie is definitely a possibility, especially since there's a couple of them at the local rescue that look a lot like her. Not really seeing the Jack Russell though. One of my friends has one and we were just down there this weekend- she's well over twice his size (she weighs 45lbs) and her head and muzzle are really broad.

Border Collie x Pit is a really common farm cross for the ranchers in Northern/Central CA. I have no idea why, but my border collie lovin' ex-roommate says the San Jose SPCA is usually full of them. I could see that working, or maybe BC x some sort of mutted up anonymous farm dog. :)

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine

Captain Foxy posted:

Border Collie x Pit is a really common farm cross for the ranchers in Northern/Central CA. I have no idea why, but my border collie lovin' ex-roommate says the San Jose SPCA is usually full of them. I could see that working, or maybe BC x some sort of mutted up anonymous farm dog. :)

That's a really boofy head for either breed though. The ears are adorable and floppy, but look at the skull, particularly the back. The coat looks too thick as well to be just Pitty x Short BC. I dare to guess there's a good bit of a Spitz in there.

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Pit x dachshund

Seconding, which alarms me from a parental size-disparity perspective!

ColorblindDesigner
Feb 18, 2011

badmomrising posted:

Seconding, which alarms me from a parental size-disparity perspective!
If that's the case, I pray to God that the mother was the Pit. We also have a Pit though and the face is totally different. I should mention that those stumpy legs are so thick I can barely get my hands around them and he is bow legged as hell. His tail is also almost as long as his body which is weird as hell to me.

snarkcookie
Mar 25, 2007

Delicious Sarcastic Morsels with Every Bite!
This is Keira's best friend Bugs

They can be seen here sharing the same smell.

The pound he came from said he was a Lab/German Shepherd mix but I'm not really keen on that estimation. He's only about 45 pounds, any ideas what he is?

For size comparison, here's Keira and him playing. Keira is currently 66 pounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDB6D2G4mHQ

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
The big pink nose, eyes and the curly tail makes me think distant shar pei. But I can definitely see shepherd of some sort in there.

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
Woww, whatever he is I love the white underbelly/inside of legs thing he's got going on :3: Makes him look like some kind of wild dog, especially with the standy-up ear and black eye rims. (i realize there is a <0.00001% chance of this at all)

omgmypony
Oct 5, 2005

looks like a yellerdawg to me

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

I think he must be related to rysfade's dog, somehow!

This one gives a better idea of his shape.

He's still a puppy, 4 months old, now at 20 pounds.

He's an alleged BC mix. On walks around the neighborhood we have gotten 4 votes for BC and Jack Russell Terrier, 3 votes for BC and Akita, and one vote for BC and ACD.

Nobody has mentioned rat terrier, but sometimes he really looks just like the RCA Victor logo dog, who I believe was a rat terrier.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Rhymes With Clue posted:

Nobody has mentioned rat terrier, but sometimes he really looks just like the RCA Victor logo dog, who I believe was a rat terrier.

To be totally pedantic, His Master's Voice was based on a fox terrier :smug: , which could also be a good basis for the little dude. Rats are smooth, foxes can be smooth or wire, and it looks like his coat is wirey (?) so in that case I'd go with JRT or wire fox terrier x BC or ACD.

Basically, as I'm finding out, terrier plus herding dog is a really common mix for rural areas/shelters that pull from rural areas. I guess that mix makes for a good all-around farm dog or else it's just a huge coincidence.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Rhymes With Clue posted:

He's an alleged BC mix. ... 3 votes for BC and Akita

Lawl at the Akita. That doggy looks pretty small, I think BC x cattledog or heeler is a better bet.

Edit: I think he's super cute :3: I see why people would guess Akita. They are my favourite breed.

adventure in the sandbox fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 25, 2011

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Yeah, I'm fairly positive that dog's got at least some BC. The rest is probably terrier/herding mix depending on size.

auri
Jul 8, 2005

rysfade posted:

Pointing at herself in the sliding glass door.

Where did you get that collar? Google is no good.

Your dog is gorgeous. Especially in that collar :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

snarkcookie posted:

This is Keira's best friend Bugs

I love what he's done with his ears!