Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!
Germany is Lawful Neutral whereas the US is more Neutral Evil with sudden alignment shifts towards Chaotic Neutral.

vvvv Well that's pretty much a given, ironically according to Wikipedia Magneto (who endured a KZ in his youth) is also considered Lawful Evil.

hankor fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
I can agree with that. Could you say that Nazi-Germany was lawful-evil?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It basically seemed like Germany trusts people to not be assholes. As long as you're not bothering anyone they don't give a poo poo, you don't have the endless rules that we have in the US.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
So goons, what's good to in Düsseldorf on a Friday or Saturday night?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

So goons, what's good to in Düsseldorf on a Friday or Saturday night?

Go to Cologne :v:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
was actually just there for 3 hours this afternoon, dinked around the Dom and that was it. Kinda rainy. Whatevs, I'll just check out this "Pretty Vacant" place here in Düsseldorf.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Ziir posted:

Go to Cologne :v:

And then? I'm free tomorrow night if anybody wants to go grab a beer. I wanted to try out eating at the Gaffel Brauhaus at the train station for some time now. I was there with some friends a couple of days ago for some cheap Kölsch and the food looked pretty good again.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

FLX posted:

I was there with some friends a couple of days ago for some cheap Kölsch and the food looked pretty good again.

When you saw it the second time or what are you implying?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Zwille posted:

When you saw it the second time or what are you implying?

Yes. Since we all had eaten beforehand, we only had some Kölschs and didn't have dinner there ... again. Like, the food always looked good and did so again. I guess I could have phrased that better.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 12, 2011

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Oh, I thought you was throwing up or something like that.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Zwille posted:

Oh, I thought you was throwing up or something like that.

Come on, Kölsch is not that bad.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I realize this question is somewhat specific but can anyone recommend important ancient/medieval Germanic authors, works or literary collections? Mainly stuff from the Holy Roman Empire or even earlier if possible.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jive One posted:

I realize this question is somewhat specific but can anyone recommend important ancient/medieval Germanic authors, works or literary collections? Mainly stuff from the Holy Roman Empire or even earlier if possible.

Do you have access to JSTOR?
This website might be of interest to you:
http://www.deremilitari.org/
It's military history, but there's still some interesting stuff in there.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

Jive One posted:

You should have a look at the classics like Parzival, the Nibelungenlied or Herzog Ernst. Some famous "authors" would be Walther von der Vogelweide , Albrecht von Johansdorf and Reinmar von Hagenau.

The "problem" with early medieval german literature is that most of it is Minnesang, so most of it tends to be fairly short and not so much about the narrative but about context and artistic expression. It was not until the Empire was well on it's way that the more famous german authors like Lessing, Kant, Goethe etc. emerged.

Be aware that most of the early stuff is written in middle high german which is a pain in the rear end.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Gold and a Pager posted:

But it'd have to be a hell of a well-paid internship to afford living in Munich, but yes, quite possibly worth it when you're other option is small town Bavaria.

I had one in Munich that paid 700eur a month, about enough to get by if you don't do anything fun. I took out extra student loans before the internship for travel/booze money.

Small town Bavaria can be good times, I did a semester in Eichstaett (near Ingolstadt and a lot smaller) and had a loving blast, though it has a good international student party scene.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Jive One posted:

Maybe hard to find, but you might want to read something by Neidhart von Reuental who lived in the first half of the 13th century. As opposed to heroic epics or minne songs he wrote comical songs about rather crude topics that parody these.
For example, in the "Veilchenschwank" Neidhart roughs up some farmers that tricked him into presenting a pile of poo poo to the duchess of Austria.

Default Settings fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 14, 2011

Discomedusae
Jul 13, 2009

In two weeks' time I'm moving to Tübingen for twelve months, if anyone knows the city I'd love some pointers or recommendations or whatever. I'll be on exchange studying at the uni.

unlock
Oct 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Liface posted:

Get a Bank of America account. They are part of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance

Which includes Deutsche Bank. You can use your BoA card at any Deutsche Bank ATM for free.

It's surprising how many people don't even know that. Kids that I studied abroad with had like $150 dollars in fees over the course of a year.

Why don't you go gently caress yourself

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

unlock posted:

Why don't you go gently caress yourself
poo poo poster indeed.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Discomedusae posted:

In two weeks' time I'm moving to Tübingen for twelve months, if anyone knows the city I'd love some pointers or recommendations or whatever. I'll be on exchange studying at the uni.

Don't know the city but I recommend opening up a BoA checking account like the poo poo poster quoted. I don't actually keep any money in there because BoA has poo poo rates, but when I need money I do an online transfer to my BoA account which takes like two days, and then pull the money out at a Deutsche Bank ATM. Open up an account with Sparkasse in Germany too, not Deutsche Bank. Sparkasse ATMs are as plentiful as Starbucks are in the US. I deposit the money I get from the Deutsche Bank ATMs into my Sparkasse account and put my BoA card away in a safe place.

Eat lots of Döner.

Don't buy beer at a kiosk unless you absolutely have to (supermarket is closed or something). It's worth it to walk a few streets over to the Netto.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone in Munich wanna kick or something sometime?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
My wife and I have finally booked all of our plane tickets, pensions, and hotels for our trip this summer. This will be our second tour of Germany. Our first trip was our honeymoon in which we took a bike tour along the Rhine from Mainz to Cologne. This will be our first trip into Bavaria.

We'll be leaving in early June, following the path of Wurzburg, Munich, Fussen, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, and back to the Rhine (Bacharach) for our last few nights. We're arriving and leaving through Frankfurt and will use the train system to get around. Staying for exactly 2 weeks and really glad we booked plane tickets early since ticket prices have soared since then.

We plan on hitting up the usual touristy spots, doing some bike riding in Fussen, along the Rhine, and possibly outside of Rothenburg.

Any suggestions on things that we don't want to miss that may be off the beaten path?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

LaserWash posted:

My wife and I have finally booked all of our plane tickets, pensions, and hotels for our trip this summer. This will be our second tour of Germany. Our first trip was our honeymoon in which we took a bike tour along the Rhine from Mainz to Cologne. This will be our first trip into Bavaria.

We'll be leaving in early June, following the path of Wurzburg, Munich, Fussen, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, and back to the Rhine (Bacharach) for our last few nights. We're arriving and leaving through Frankfurt and will use the train system to get around. Staying for exactly 2 weeks and really glad we booked plane tickets early since ticket prices have soared since then.

We plan on hitting up the usual touristy spots, doing some bike riding in Fussen, along the Rhine, and possibly outside of Rothenburg.

Any suggestions on things that we don't want to miss that may be off the beaten path?

Beside the obvious Schloss Neuschwanstein visit, bike riding around Füssen is a great idea. You should do a Forggenseerunde: http://www.bikemap.net/route/50174#lat=47.60223&lng=10.71785&zoom=12&type=2
Beautiful scenery, although the lake (it's an artificial one) may not yet be completely filled up in early June.

And since you're in the area you should also visit the "Kössel Bräu Sudhaus": http://www.koessel-braeu.de/index.shtml
Their beer is great and it's an insider tip around here.
Edit: Don't know if their food is any good though, I only ever got wasted there :cheers:

bronin fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 17, 2011

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

LaserWash posted:

How long are you staying in Füssen? I'm guessing you'll be using a rental car? Do you like botanic gardens? If so, you could go on a day trip to the Insel Mainau. (just checked, and the trip is quite a bit longer than I would have expected, so only worth if you're really into it: 2,5 - 3 hours one way)

Click here for the full 1536x1024 image.

Closer to Füssen there are the Plansee (Austria), a old school Sommerrodelbahn (a dry toboggan run) in Nesselwang or a bigger, modern one with other stuff at Alpsee-Bergwelt in Immenstadt.
Should we mention obvious stuff like the Kristalltherme or those two very obscure castles?

On your way to Rothenburg you have stuff like Ottobeuren (eat at the Hoigata, and I'm not just saying that because it's my mother's restaurant...) with its Basilika (if it's not partly covered in scaffolding like most of the time), a Bauernhofmuseum, Ulm as a whole and Dinkelsbühl, a very medieval town, but you should have plenty of that in Rothenburg.
I'm sure you know about the Weihnachtsmusem in Rothenburg already, if you like that sort of thing.

westborn fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 17, 2011

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

westborn posted:

On your way to Rothenburg you have stuff like Ottobeuren (eat at the Hoigata, and I'm not just saying that because it's my mothers restaurant...)

Tell your mother that she needs to put a menu on the site or at least some hint to what kind of restaurant it is, the Ritteressen makes it seem like a nice traditional place but the Pizza-Friday makes it seem like a soulless place of convenience (and clashes horribly with the font that was used). Using google adds on a site that should promote you also might not be the best idea, right now 3 out of the 5 adds are alternatives to your place.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
Depending on which route you take to Munich from Würzburg you'll be passing Geiselwind, if you're interested in amusement parks, and Naturpark Steigerwald.
You might also consider swinging by Bamberg, another beautiful city. Nürnberg has a nice castle and a neat train museum. Sadly you're too early for 'Bamberg zaubert' and too late for the "Blaue Nacht" in Nürnberg.

hankor posted:

Tell your mother that she needs to put a menu on the site or at least some hint to what kind of restaurant it is, the Ritteressen makes it seem like a nice traditional place but the Pizza-Friday makes it seem like a soulless place of convenience (and clashes horribly with the font that was used). Using google adds on a site that should promote you also might not be the best idea, right now 3 out of the 5 adds are alternatives to your place.
All fundamentally valid points, and hopefully most of them will get taken care of eventually...
The place is pretty much traditional bavarian with changing daily dishes complementing a fixed menu with quite a bit of convenience, but far from soulless. You can get a Currywurst with fries, but it's served with a homemade sauce on a nice big plate. This is simply because it's a small restaurant in a small rural village of just about 400 souls, and to get more of them in more often that's just something you have to offer. Pizza had a test run, they loved it, she kept it.
The more profitable part is the rentable hall which is filled with festivities or special events (like the Ritteressen) almost every weekend and some other days.

The website isn't all that great as is because of all of the above - and it still pretty much being the same thing I cobbled together 2 years ago shortly after she became the owner.
- There's no menu on it because it's changing daily - technically no problem, fails mainly on spontaneity and human resistance against learning to use a CMS. Putting the more convenient fixed items on there alone would be a bit misleading.
- It's not very frequented. Very few of the already measly ~100 visitors/month of the page won't be coming in because they can't find the menu. Most of them will have heard about the place before and/or are looking for something else (opening hours, phone number and mostly the events) - visitors from this thread excluded. It's not uncommon for a restaurant around here to not have a webpage at all. Many (potential) customers around here don't care about or even have internet in the first place (the one of the most popular events is a monthly coffee party where up to 170 elderly guests (there's usually room for ~120) sing volkslieder together)... :stare:
- Yeah, the google ads should've been gone for a while, but they also are filtered for competition. Don't know how you got any, I never do - at least nothing reasonable close.

In conclusion, site's not great if you don't know the place already. That's not great but in context it's not really hurting either.
It's not like I actually expect LaserWash to swing by (but it would be interesting depeding on his german - my mothers english is pretty bad), I'm pretty sure the opening hours won't be very agreeable with his route if he intends to travel from Füssen to Rothenburg in one day.

Let me end this way to long digression with a picture of one of the more convenient dishes, pork loin on toast with salad.

Click here for the full 640x360 image.

Discomedusae
Jul 13, 2009

Ziir posted:

Don't know the city but I recommend opening up a BoA checking account like the poo poo poster quoted. I don't actually keep any money in there because BoA has poo poo rates, but when I need money I do an online transfer to my BoA account which takes like two days, and then pull the money out at a Deutsche Bank ATM. Open up an account with Sparkasse in Germany too, not Deutsche Bank. Sparkasse ATMs are as plentiful as Starbucks are in the US. I deposit the money I get from the Deutsche Bank ATMs into my Sparkasse account and put my BoA card away in a safe place.

Eat lots of Döner.

Don't buy beer at a kiosk unless you absolutely have to (supermarket is closed or something). It's worth it to walk a few streets over to the Netto.

I don't know about a BoA account (I'm Australian) but I'm already planning on opening a Sparkasse account and moving all or most of my funds over to it.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

bronin posted:

Beside the obvious Schloss Neuschwanstein visit, bike riding around Füssen is a great idea. You should do a Forggenseerunde: http://www.bikemap.net/route/50174#lat=47.60223&lng=10.71785&zoom=12&type=2
Beautiful scenery, although the lake (it's an artificial one) may not yet be completely filled up in early June.

We already planned on doing this. Which direction should we go for the best views? Clockwise or counterclockwise? We also thought of making a half trip where we would take the boat across the length of the lake and then bike back into Füssen.

My wife will love the Christmas Museum and that's going to inevitably make it in the plans when she finds out it exists. ;)

We had considered a night in Nürnberg, but then decided we like the Rhine so much and had so much left to do that we would skip it for now. Maybe next time. I think we're already starting to build an itinerary for the third trip to Germany.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

LaserWash posted:

We already planned on doing this. Which direction should we go for the best views? Clockwise or counterclockwise? We also thought of making a half trip where we would take the boat across the length of the lake and then bike back into Füssen.

Starting from Füssen I'd say clockwise. The east of the Forggensee is imo more beautiful landscapewise and you'll have a better view on the alps iirc. God I can't wait for spring/summer to do this again myself.

Tricolor
Nov 10, 2009
When travelling by train, how much luggage will I be allowed to carry?
I'm planning to fly to Germany via Berlin and then take a train to Leipzig from there. I'll be packing a carry-on backpack or bag and a roller trolley bag with a lot of stuff in it - it'll probably be the 20 or 30kg worth of items.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Tricolor posted:

I'm planning to fly to Germany via Berlin and then take a train to Leipzig from there. I'll be packing a carry-on backpack or bag and a roller trolley bag with a lot of stuff in it - it'll probably be the 20 or 30kg worth of items.

The Deutsche Bahn doesn't give a poo poo. If it fits on the train you are allowed to take it with you. If you can take it on a plane you are more than fine on a train, no matter what class or kind of train.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Tricolor posted:

There's no limit for luggage on trains. Not that I know of anyway.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I think the rule for public transit in Berlin (and probably for other forms of transit like trains) is that you can carry as much as you can carry on your own. i.e. anything that requires two people to carry is a no-no, like... uh... sofas?

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

Zwille posted:

I think the rule for public transit in Berlin (and probably for other forms of transit like trains) is that you can carry as much as you can carry on your own. i.e. anything that requires two people to carry is a no-no, like... uh... sofas?

I've seen people actually take fridges and large bookcases on the subway so even that is sort of ok, I wouldn't advise doing it on the S-Bahn in it's rather dodgy state right now.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Of course, if you end up on a very full train you may have to sit on your suitcase next to the door or something. But in that situation it's better to have a lot of luggage because that means you don't have to stand. :haw:

If you want to take a bus or a tram or something to/from the train station, in some places local public transport charges you extra for very large pieces of luggage - I've never had to cart anything big around Berlin or Leipzig, but looking at the relevant websites I get the impression that this is not the case in either city. (as affirmed, at least for Berlin, by the posts made while I was checking)

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 21, 2011

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Berlin certainly won't charge for that sort of stuff, only for bicycles.

I figure the "only what you can carry on your own" is sort of a failsafe so they can exclude those people in case the train gets too full. Nobody gives a gently caress about not taking bicycles on certain trains either. Rush hour might be something else, but we don't have an explicit rule regarding that like Hamburg (no bicycles in the moring/evening, ever!)

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I had no problem carrying my luggage on the tram in Frankfurt. Some German yelled at me when I put my luggage on the seat next to me on the train from Frankfurt to Munich, not sure where else I would put it???

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Maybe in the rack above your head or on the floor between your legs?

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
it was much too big for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopefullyWild
Feb 4, 2010

by Ozma
So, I was an rear end and started my own thread without finding this goldmine. I haven't read through the entire thing, sorry for any repeats/just ignore me if this is totally redundant but wanted to get this out mainly to find some folks to chat with in German.

My work as a nanny will take me to Berlin in June, and I'm over the moon. The mother of the family I work with was born and raised in Fulda and moved to Berlin as a young adult. There, she sang in an underground punk band for three years, trained and competed in Dressage (fancy horse sport) and, by all accounts, was a badass while living there for ten years. She came to America through an organic farming program, met her (now) husband, fell in love and ultimately left her country, family and friends to be here with him and raise a family. Almost ten years later the kids are great, her husband's great, but she's fantastic. Even more so because she decided I was worthy enough to accompany her to Berlin/Frankfurt/Fulda to visit her (rather wealthy) family. I'll even have four days off to explore on my own! (Over. The. Moon.) :v:

I didn't have the chance to take German in high school, and haven't yet started college, so I'm having a bit of a rough go with the language learning. I know a few words the children use ("mehr!" and "nein" and so forth) but the mother isn't around that much when I'm there (of course, because that's... er... why I'm there) so the opportunity to learn new words and have my pronunciation corrected is rare. Confusing "penis" (schniepel - I think that's the babytalk version) and "pacifier" (schnule) during bath time was rather embarrassing, and although the children found it hilarious, I don't want to be running around Berlin asking people if they want their dicks in their mouths. I've been borrowing the childrens' books when I leave, translating them and reading them with the help of online translators and audio pronunciation guides, but that's boring. I realize I could use some sort of "Learn German in just 5 minutes!!!" program, but those don't help me as much as talking to a native speaker does. I find the language so very beautiful and am also eager to impress the mother, but ultimately I don't want to take advantage over the fact that "most Germans know a fair bit of English". I would really like to learn as much as possible before I leave.

Non-Germans: Have you been? What was it like to visit as an American? What did you wish you knew? Was learning the language hard? How'd you go about it? What things do you suggest?

Germans: Tell me everything. What's Berlin like? Anything in particular I should make a point of seeing/doing? What upsets you most about foreigners (particularly Americans)? (I know a lot about the last question from the mother, but more input never hurt anyone.)

Can anyone tell me anything about Fulda? German punk scene in the 80's? The mother's main band was "little rabbit mafia", I don't remember the special German word for "little rabbit". It'd be neat if they were a relatively big band, she's really humble, so I can't get a good read.

And, most importantly, if anyone would like to begin a correspondence in German, that'd be so fantastic. Snail mail? We can send each other weird poo poo from our respective countries (the mother misses Berlin so much, and would love to have some small tokens from her dear country). IMing, e-mailing or even webcam would be great, too. I'd love to get some critique in my pronunciation. Plus, it could potentially be fun.

Thanks much! Sorry for the words words words, this is basically my OP.

Edit: Anyone know a better site to use than freetranslation.com? It's okay, but really inconsistent/won't translate parts of words, etc.

HopefullyWild fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 24, 2011