Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Ashex posted:

Is there a kernel for the G2/Desire Z focused on improved battery life rather than "OMG OC 12.6GHZ!"?

Pershoot's, whether froyo or gingerbeard, always gave me good performance, I didn't overclock it. If you install a cpu speed widget, you'll see it likes to idle slow when not needed, and it always worked well for me, even though I had no interest in overclocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
When oh when will the Incredible get a stable CM7?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Civil posted:

Pershoot's, whether froyo or gingerbeard, always gave me good performance, I didn't overclock it. If you install a cpu speed widget, you'll see it likes to idle slow when not needed, and it always worked well for me, even though I had no interest in overclocking.

Bugger, I checked the notes on Pershoots and it's not built to be used with Sense :(

I may just try out Virtuous since the kernel it comes with does have built-in clocking profiles. I've been using the Arabic rom which I wanted to stick with, fortunately Virtuous is based off it so maybe the features I like come with it.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Ashex posted:

Bugger, I checked the notes on Pershoots and it's not built to be used with Sense :(

I may just try out Virtuous since the kernel it comes with does have built-in clocking profiles. I've been using the Arabic rom which I wanted to stick with, fortunately Virtuous is based off it so maybe the features I like come with it.

If you go with Virtuous, you can always use SetCPU to set the CPU to behave in a more conservative manner. I know 0.9 had the kernel overclocked to 1Ghz by default, .95 dropped it back down to 806Mhz, so it should do whatever you tell it to.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Anyone having issues getting CM7 RC1 through ClockworkMod? Keeps coming up with ROM download error. Definitely not out of space.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Anyone having issues getting CM7 RC1 through ClockworkMod? Keeps coming up with ROM download error. Definitely not out of space.

Their servers have apparently been getting pounded.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I ended up flashing Virtuous, had I known it didn't whipe /data I would have switched over last week. Since I was already running 1.83 which the current release is based off of no whipe was needed and the only hiccup I had was Swype Beta crashing, uninstalled and after a reboot everything is working just great!

I have noticed that it's a bit snappier which I'm enjoying, I'll have to wait and see how battery life is.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Ashex posted:

Some dude on xda is claiming that CM6 and CM7 have proper Arabic support. I have a Vibrant, so I'll never ever ever be able to test it for myself, but that's not true, is it?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I got that last night with the gapps package, but I restarted the download and it completed fine the second time.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Titanium Backup question -

I just installed CM7 RC1 and was about to do a batch restore of apps+data when I noticed that there seems to be quite a lot of "old" data that TB is loading. And when I say old, I mean like MANY backups ago when I was still using Sense ROMs.

How do I clean up these backups to make them more organized and useful?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Ozmodiar posted:

Titanium Backup question -

I just installed CM7 RC1 and was about to do a batch restore of apps+data when I noticed that there seems to be quite a lot of "old" data that TB is loading. And when I say old, I mean like MANY backups ago when I was still using Sense ROMs.

How do I clean up these backups to make them more organized and useful?

When I found I had tons of extra poo poo I didn't need, I went through and restored all the apps and data I actually needed/wanted, and then did a mass delete once I made sure things were all set up, and then did another complete backup. Probably an easier way, I know you can tell it to delete all backups for apps that aren't installed for instance.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Installed CM 7 RC1 on wife's MyTouch Slide and I noticed WiFi and GPS are borked. I heard reports that the CPU is sometimes set too high, but I don't see where I can get the current CPU speed to verify.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

quadratic posted:

Some dude on xda is claiming that CM6 and CM7 have proper Arabic support. I have a Vibrant, so I'll never ever ever be able to test it for myself, but that's not true, is it?

It does have proper support, RTL isn't all there in the stock apps though (at least in CM6 it was spotty). I'm kinda hooked on Sense so I'm trying to find a way to keep it.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Sizzlechest posted:

Installed CM 7 RC1 on wife's MyTouch Slide and I noticed WiFi and GPS are borked. I heard reports that the CPU is sometimes set too high, but I don't see where I can get the current CPU speed to verify.

Try rebooting first. If you still see it, here's a widget that gives you the current CPU speed.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sanels.tempcpuv2

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
Ok. I'm stuck. Trying to get a new ROM for my Epic 4g since Samsung can't seem to do it. I'm following this guide here:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic-4g-rooting-roms-hacks/51423-epic-lag-fix-rfs-ext4-now-w-clockwork-v3-0-0-5-a.html

Using this ROM (the first one listed to download on the second post). If there's something better, I'm open to suggestions.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=884075

I got dk28 no problem using Odin. Put the .zip file for Frankenstein FROYO on my SD card (16 gig with 10 gigs free if that matters, its the one one that came with the phone). Did the one click root. Booted to Clockwork3, and it did it EXT4 conversion. I did a wipe, then installed the .zip from the SD card (all from Clockwork, as instructed in that guide). When the install completes, it brings me back to the Clockwork menu, and does not reset. I navigate to "reboot phone" and it hangs at the Samsung screen. Its been like this for about 10 minutes now. I can reboot by taking the battery out. I repeated the process, and I get the same results. Any ideas?

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
Some ROMs take a fair while to get going on their first boot, maybe try it again and wait a little longer :)

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

MrBishi posted:

Some ROMs take a fair while to get going on their first boot, maybe try it again and wait a little longer :)

Ok. It hung for a while, and that guide said it would do that if it didn't see a ROM installed so I assumed that's what was going on. I went ahead and downloaded the second .zip listed on that page. I'm trying that now. Its getting late, so if it hangs I'm going to just pass out and hope for the best in the morning. Wish me luck.

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
Hope it all works out! I have to root an SGS this weekend and have a feeling its going to be the most soul crushing experience ever :(

E: I think that after you flash the first zip you reboot and pull the battery at the splash screen, go back into CWM and flash the second zip which supports EXT4, reboot and then it should all start working.

MrBishi fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 17, 2011

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
Still nothing. I posted on XDA, hopefully someone knows whats up.

edit - Restore didn't work. Oh well. I can go without a phone for a day. If anyone sees what I'm doing wrong let me know.

JesusDoesVegas fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 17, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
CM7 on the Evo still does not have working GPS. At least they fixed the random reboot issue I was having.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

CM7 on the Evo still does not have working GPS. At least they fixed the random reboot issue I was having.

This needs wider distribution, here is the fix: (quoting Kreeblah as I'm lazy to find my post) FIX GPS ON EVO

Kreeblah posted:

Before you flash CM7, grab your MSL (check the Market for an app called MSL Reader) and go to the phone dialer. Dial ##GPSCLRX# and then put in your MSL when it asks for a password. Let your phone reboot back into your Sense ROM and then boot into recovery and wipe/flash as usual. Just clearing out those GPS settings seems to take care of it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Aatrek posted:

When oh when will the Incredible get a stable CM7?

The nightlies have had no problems for me so far. Other than one of the #20 nightlies that gave reboots every now and then.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

JerseyMonkey posted:

This needs wider distribution, here is the fix: (quoting Kreeblah as I'm lazy to find my post) FIX GPS ON EVO

Except it's not a fix and is a real nuisance for those who aren't running a Sense ROM to begin with before going to CM7. Spreading this around as a "fix" just takes the pressure off to do it right.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 17, 2011

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Does anyone else with CM7 RC1 on the EVO get really lovely WiFi reception? I am in the same room about 10 feet away from my wireless router LINE OF SIGHT I might add and I am getting less than half signal. My Wife's EVO running the stock rom gets full signal.

This issue is effecting me on every access point I have connected to since I have been on this rom.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

Lowen SoDium posted:

Does anyone else with CM7 RC1 on the EVO get really lovely WiFi reception? I am in the same room about 10 feet away from my wireless router LINE OF SIGHT I might add and I am getting less than half signal. My Wife's EVO running the stock rom gets full signal.

This issue is effecting me on every access point I have connected to since I have been on this rom.

I'm not just getting lovely wifi signal (I'm about a foot from it and I'm getting two bars) I'm getting lovely (At least according to the readout on the phone itself) cell phone signal, I'm in a 3-4 bar area and I get consistently 1 bar on CM7, I'm probably just going to go back to stock

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Just put CM7 on my Desire and when I try to install Google Maps or Google Earth from the market it shows the download icon for a moment then stops - doesn't give an error.

I found an alternative apk for the market, which installed and it worked, but its an older version of maps and the upgrade wont work.

So whats the way around this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

WiFi, Bluetooth and phone reception work fine, for me the only problem is GPS, which never worked well on the nightlies either so I am not that surprised.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Pissflaps posted:

Just put CM7 on my Desire and when I try to install Google Maps or Google Earth from the market it shows the download icon for a moment then stops - doesn't give an error.

I found an alternative apk for the market, which installed and it worked, but its an older version of maps and the upgrade wont work.

So whats the way around this?

Doesn't CM have a GApps package for download on their website that is compatible? They seem to do that with most of the other CM installs

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is there any way to keep the assigned custom ringtones for my contacts? Every time I install a new CM7 (I don't wipe) it resets everything to a default ringtone. Or a ringtone already on the ROM.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

AppleCobbler posted:

Doesn't CM have a GApps package for download on their website that is compatible? They seem to do that with most of the other CM installs

it does, and i activated it, but it didnt work

the cm6 gapp link in the wiki (which says its for cm7) doesnt seem to include google maps

edit: installed google maps 5.1 from an apk, but the market 'my downloads' doesnt think its installed

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 17, 2011

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pissflaps posted:

it does, and i activated it, but it didnt work

the cm6 gapp link in the wiki (which says its for cm7) doesnt seem to include google maps

edit: installed google maps 5.1 from an apk, but the market 'my downloads' doesnt think its installed

The version for CM6 is not the same as the one for CM7, though the dates are visually similar. If you're not using gapps-gb-20110120-signed.zip you have the wrong one. IIRC it only includes Market and GMail now, you are prompted to choose which of the rest to download and install on first boot.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

wolrah posted:

The version for CM6 is not the same as the one for CM7, though the dates are visually similar. If you're not using gapps-gb-20110120-signed.zip you have the wrong one. IIRC it only includes Market and GMail now, you are prompted to choose which of the rest to download and install on first boot.

yeah i know, thats the thing that didnt work. might try it again.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Doctor Butts posted:

Is there any way to keep the assigned custom ringtones for my contacts? Every time I install a new CM7 (I don't wipe) it resets everything to a default ringtone. Or a ringtone already on the ROM.

I would think Contacts Storage 2.2.1 in Titanium Backup would contain that information. Try backing up and restoring that?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

CM7 on my G2 worked great the first night, then things kind of deteriorated. Now, the wifi is dead no matter what I do - it won't connect to anything. I've never had this problem before. It's looking like nightly 40 isn't any better. Too bad.

I do like some of the features, though - lockscreen gestures are awesome. I scribble out an M to go straight to messaging, or an E to get to my email.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Civil posted:

CM7 on my G2 worked great the first night, then things kind of deteriorated. Now, the wifi is dead no matter what I do - it won't connect to anything. I've never had this problem before. It's looking like nightly 40 isn't any better. Too bad.

I do like some of the features, though - lockscreen gestures are awesome. I scribble out an M to go straight to messaging, or an E to get to my email.

Hmm. I'm on a G2 with Cm7rc1. Everything seems to be working as expected for me. Did you try going back to #30 or one of the others that worked fine? I suspect you tried to do a full wipe as well?

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
I booted to download mode and went back to dk28 with odin. Phone is working fine except I'm getting the horrible keyboard lag I've heard dk28 suffers from... I'm using swype got this post. I'm going to try again tonight. is there a ROM out there that fixes gps and is reasonably stable? (if you didn't catch my posts on the last page I'm on an epic.) Also I really don't know of I'm still in ext4. Is there a way to determine this?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I fixed my google app install problems by booting into clockwork mod, doing another wipe, and a dalvik cache wipe, then reintalling.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

deong posted:

Hmm. I'm on a G2 with Cm7rc1. Everything seems to be working as expected for me. Did you try going back to #30 or one of the others that worked fine? I suspect you tried to do a full wipe as well?

This is the first CM7 build I tried - I didn't bother with nightlies before this. I did wipe, and just find it curious that I could get on wifi the first night after installing it, then afterwards, it didn't work.

I didn't wipe when I tried nightly 40, I just flashed over. I'll try a complete/full wipe and try 40 again to see if it helps. It's encouraging that it's working perfectly for others.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Civil posted:

This is the first CM7 build I tried - I didn't bother with nightlies before this. I did wipe, and just find it curious that I could get on wifi the first night after installing it, then afterwards, it didn't work.

I didn't wipe when I tried nightly 40, I just flashed over. I'll try a complete/full wipe and try 40 again to see if it helps. It's encouraging that it's working perfectly for others.

Oh.. being it's your first CM7.. It might be a bug...

There is something with CM7 that does not start the wifi on first boot. Once you boot, go as far as you can and reboot. Wifi should now work. I forget who told me a while back.. but yea. Its dumb but works hah.

Since it worked then didn't, not sure if its the same one for you or not. But for me its just on the first boot into cm7 that it happened. Even reflashing (w/o wipe) it has not been an issue. But every wipe I have to reboot a 2nd time to set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

wolrah posted:

Except it's not a fix and is a real nuisance for those who aren't running a Sense ROM to begin with before going to CM7. Spreading this around as a "fix" just takes the pressure off to do it right.

Except it IS a fix (for some people at least), because I've never had a problem flashing another nightly or the RC since doing it one time. For some reason, the GPS has a problem updating from CM6 to CM7 but I haven't had a single GPS problem since.

Edit:

My evo REALLY didn't like flashing straight from a nightly to the CM7 RC. The full wipe & reinstall that I did seems to be going much better though. I have had a couple of FC's and restarts though. All in all, Nightly 24 seemed to be more stable for me. I'm going to keep giving the RC1 a try, but it's not going well so far... :ohdear:

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 17, 2011