Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Death by Cranes posted:

Thanks for the answers guys.
I actually already have the Canon 50mm f/ 1.8 (the plastic, dirt cheap one), but I find the auto focus extremely inaccurate/slow and manual focus is too hard since the those reggae bands won't stay still while my focus area is tiny at 1.8. I guess I need a lot(!) more training with it and remember to shoot in RAW.
To your thoughts on the f/3.5-5.6 zooms, I have to say I'm really impressed with the pictures I posted, but your point is well taken.

They are. I'm but a poor student :)

well if you can afford ~$300 then your first serious purchase should be upgrading your 50mm to the f/1.4 and selling the f/1.8. I skated by shooting concerts with ONLY my 50mm f/1.4 for probably 4 years before I started renting other lenses and eventually bought a 24mm f/1.4.

A ridiculous amount of the photos I have in here are from the 50mm, anything not marked with exif was likely shot on film with my 50. http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinkent/sets/72057594114985708/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Death by Cranes posted:

Thanks for the answers guys.
I actually already have the Canon 50mm f/ 1.8 (the plastic, dirt cheap one), but I find the auto focus extremely inaccurate/slow and manual focus is too hard since the those reggae bands won't stay still while my focus area is tiny at 1.8.

A big part of focus speed depends on the system in the camera regardless of lens. Focus in low light is kind of slow on my XTi, but is much quicker on my 40D. I can only imagine what a 7D or 1DMkIV must be like.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Death by Cranes posted:

To your thoughts on the f/3.5-5.6 zooms, I have to say I'm really impressed with the pictures I posted, but your point is well taken.
Yeah they do look surprisingly good, but their weakness will show very quickly as soon as you try to use them in a venue with a bit less light.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Oh man, Bonnaroo line up came out today. Not a whole lot there that's up my alley. Blah.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Do you guys use evaluative metering, or spot? I have a Canon 40D and I'll be primarily using the 50/1.8 to shoot at the Pendulum concert next week, and I really want to be able to take some good shots, so I'm reviewing my "field notes" so that I don't gently caress it all up and spend half the time dicking with settings.

I guess I might as well share about the other notes I have:
-Push the ISO to 1600 to begin with, and bring it down in small increments towards 800 if possible.
- Shutter speed should be 1/60 or faster
- Keep the aperture around f/2.8 because shooting wide open will give me a tiny DoF and I'll probably miss and oh god
- Bring a monopod, if anything so that I can use it with the remote shutter and get some above-crowd shots.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I shot some Blind Guardian for my first ever shoot with a DSLR (Hadnt been to a show since I got it)

All with the XSi and 50 1.8... I now have a 7D so I can't wait till I get another shot at it.

_MG_5610.jpg by MaaadA, on Flickr

_MG_5603.jpg by MaaadA, on Flickr

_MG_5356.jpg by MaaadA, on Flickr

_MG_5477.jpg by MaaadA, on Flickr

_MG_5615.jpg by MaaadA, on Flickr

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Alfajor posted:

Do you guys use evaluative metering, or spot?

Depends on the lighting, If it's pretty bright and consistent, then I will use evaluative. Most of the time it's spotty so I'll use spot on the faces, then check my histograms.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm shooting my first show here on Saturday. Pretty excited :) It's just a local deathcore/death metal show so the bar is pretty low when it comes to any competition (though i'm honestly just making a few bucks and getting experience). Hopefully it will give me a feel of how to shoot at shows so i'm not always fumbling with settings and positioning. I've already pulled tons of advice from this thread that will definitely help.

e: show's cancelled :(

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 19, 2011

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Shot Good Vibrations festival today at the Gold Coast in Australia. What's the point of having photographers when the main stage is over 9ft high, plus foldbacks?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I, Butthole posted:

Shot Good Vibrations festival today at the Gold Coast in Australia. What's the point of having photographers when the main stage is over 9ft high, plus foldbacks?

Get a 70-200 and find a spot somewhere further back.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

HPL posted:

Get a 70-200 and find a spot somewhere further back.

I have and did, but for someone like Kelis who stands in one spot for largely the entire show, at least 4 metres back from the front of stage, it's stupidly tricky.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
By and large however, it was a pretty decent festival.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Crosspostin' 'cause I feel like it. Also, I wouldn't mind some feedback.

The Cauldron ones were suffering from red light syndrome, so I pushed and added some blue into them for contrast. I think I'm just bored of the red to black and white conversion.

Fight Amp

Kylesa

Cauldron

psylent posted:

Zooms:
Tamron f/2.8 17-50mm (lots of people recommend this but I've never used it)

The Tamron 17-50 is the bee's knees for a lot of things, but the autofocus is way too slow on it for shooting concerts if the band is moving around at all, or at least in my experience. I might just be impatient.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 20, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

aliencowboy posted:

The Tamron 17-50 is the bee's knees for a lot of things, but the autofocus is way too slow on it for shooting concerts if the band is moving around at all, or at least in my experience. I might just be impatient.

Are you using the back focus button? If not, learn to. That way the camera won't try to refocus every time you press the shutter. I find that with fast-moving bands, you find sort of a general focus point then go to work.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

HPL posted:

Are you using the back focus button? If not, learn to. That way the camera won't try to refocus every time you press the shutter. I find that with fast-moving bands, you find sort of a general focus point then go to work.

I go to a lot of metal shows and I'm usually right in front of the stage, which means the band is bouncing around anywhere from about 12 to 0 feet away. I do use the focus lock button, but a lot of times it just doesn't cut it. Some bands are more sedate, but I usually leave the Tamron in the car. It's bulky and I've gotten pretty fast at switching between my 50 and 35mms. That said, I did give up on it pretty quickly, so it's probably not as bad as I make it sound.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 20, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

aliencowboy posted:

I go to a lot of metal shows and I'm usually right in front of the stage, which means the band is bouncing around anywhere from about 12 to 0 feet away.

Welcome to my life. I use the 17-50 whenever the light is generous enough to allow it and I don't have problems with focus speed. Like I said, if all else fails, find a focus point like a stage monitor or microphone stand or spot on the stage where you know the guys are going to be and wait for your shot. Better to get a less-than-optimally out of focus shot than no shot at all.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.

HPL posted:

A big part of focus speed depends on the system in the camera regardless of lens. Focus in low light is kind of slow on my XTi, but is much quicker on my 40D. I can only imagine what a 7D or 1DMkIV must be like.

I asked a friend of mine about it, and he told me the same.
He has a 5D Mark II and said that the only difference between that and the 1D is a minuscule difference in focusing time. (I'm sorry the previous sentence was so badly constructed (this is probably to))

This thread is great. Learning a lot!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
With live band photography are you guys auto-focusing? I imagine taking tons of shots on the fly with manual focusing would be hard, with say...a singer and guitarist being all over the loving place. And I'd worry that I'm going to be JUST a tiny bit out of focus trusting my eye through the finder in a bar/small venue.

Second, I've got the D80 kit lens 18-135mm, and a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8. The 35mm is better in low light, but can't auto focus for poo poo, generally. I think I should stick with the 35mm cause of the wider aperture but I'm unsure about catching impulsive moments in focus with it.

Disclaimer; I'm a graphic designer who takes product photos for my company, though since I've been telling them I need better gear (and they've been buying it), I'm really getting into real photography, I do read as much as possible, but I still have questions etc, thanks for any help in advance. My brother is in two bands that tour and play regularly, so its free practice for me with people who won't hate on me for anything I do wrong.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I've been rather absent from this thread due to lack of shows I've been shooting but this is an old one from Warped Tour which I got in the paper (and I don't know if I posted it before).

I love crowd interaction shots so much

Bouncing Souls-11 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 21, 2011

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

RizieN posted:

Second, I've got the D80 kit lens 18-135mm, and a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8. The 35mm is better in low light, but can't auto focus for poo poo, generally. I think I should stick with the 35mm cause of the wider aperture but I'm unsure about catching impulsive moments in focus with it.

Depends on the venue and depends on how you like to shoot. Personally, I'd say go with 35mm. I have a hard enough time shooting f/2.8 at most places, I can't imagine doing it at f/5.6 would be much fun.

Try both, see how it works out.

For me, I find I like shooting concerts with primes and usually just end up using my 35mm and 50mm. I can't recommend the 50mm f/1.8 enough, at its price, it's a must-have for concert photography and it's pretty great for portraits too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

RizieN posted:

The 35mm is better in low light, but can't auto focus for poo poo, generally. I think I should stick with the 35mm cause of the wider aperture but I'm unsure about catching impulsive moments in focus with it.
Either the lens is defective, the D80 AF module is worse than I thought, or (most likely) you're doing something wrong.
Fast glass shot wide open means very shallow DoF, and obviously autofocusing in the dark is generally less reliable, which is a pretty challenging combination.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I mean, I haven't tried it in a real situation yet, just in my apartment in low light, loving around with my dogs or wife, trying to imitate spur of the moment poo poo, and sometimes you'll hear it going back and forth trying to figure out what to focus on, then I'll look at the picture (if I shot from the hip) and it'll be focused on a radiator or window sill or something. I mean, I'm pretty sure when I start shooting a real show it'll be different, because it won't be dim ambient light, but at least some direct light on the performers.

The lens is pretty much brand new, my D80 is old, and I definitely don't know near enough about this stuff. I'm trying to keep the aperture at f/1.8 or f/2 and shutter speed around 1/100 or faster in a randomly lit bar stage, sometimes its really great, sometimes it sucks. Anything inherently wrong with that idea?

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
I'm shooting As I Lay Dying at the Chameleon Club on Saturday.

If they don't have the security barriers up, I am going to die young.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Anti_Social posted:

I'm shooting As I Lay Dying at the Chameleon Club on Saturday.

If they don't have the security barriers up, I am going to die young.

haha

Try shooting Lightning Bolt by crawling on top of their speaker stacks.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I wouldn't even dare shoot BLS without a photo pit.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

I, Butthole posted:

haha

Try shooting Lightning Bolt by crawling on top of their speaker stacks.

I will never forget bracing myself between the drummer and the pit, with my camera and flash in one hand while the other is frantically holding back about 80 surging punk kids. I kept getting shoved into the hi-hat until a bouncer pulled me up on stage. Glorious.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

RizieN posted:

I mean, I haven't tried it in a real situation yet, just in my apartment in low light, loving around with my dogs or wife, trying to imitate spur of the moment poo poo, and sometimes you'll hear it going back and forth trying to figure out what to focus on, then I'll look at the picture (if I shot from the hip) and it'll be focused on a radiator or window sill or something. I mean, I'm pretty sure when I start shooting a real show it'll be different, because it won't be dim ambient light, but at least some direct light on the performers.
Eh, you're shooting wide open from the hip and wondering what's wrong?
Look for contrasty areas, use the cross point on your camera. Don't shoot from the loving hip and expect it to lay it's 3 inch focus field right where you wanted it.

dreggory posted:

I will never forget bracing myself between the drummer and the pit, with my camera and flash in one hand while the other is frantically holding back about 80 surging punk kids. I kept getting shoved into the hi-hat until a bouncer pulled me up on stage. Glorious.
This is why shooting rowdy shows is the best thing.

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

Death by Cranes posted:

I asked a friend of mine about it, and he told me the same.
He has a 5D Mark II and said that the only difference between that and the 1D is a minuscule difference in focusing time.

In bright daytime, probably. In very low-light, 1D/1Ds pretty much creams the 5D series in AF. (unless you are talking about JUST the center point, that is)

Rukes fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 24, 2011

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Well, I shot my first show this last week at the glass house, and really am still not that sure what I am doing. Lighting was just terrible, filled with reds (and at one point this vomitous yellow light). Stage was actually very bland for the non-headlining bands, but I shot with what I had.

Three pics I tried to do some post processing, which can be found here, but really I'm kind of just fiddling with buttons at this point. There are only three pictures, but I included some of the stuff I did in post. God I am hating post.

I'm honestly not too sure if my camera settings were correct.
I was switching between Av and Tv (focusing on 2.8 and 1/125 respectively) when I needed to, let the camera control the ISO up to 3200, and just tried to get some decent compositions from where I was located (far right of the stage). The metering was set to evaluative, just because I didn't feel all that comfortable switching to spot and royally screwing up everything.

I would really appreciate any advice (on the pictures I have uploaded that is).

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 24, 2011

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Read this :)

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I read that piece about six times prior before shooting the concert. Did you have any advice on what to fix based on the pictures I posted though? I would really appreciate that.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

evil_bunnY posted:

This is why shooting rowdy shows is the best thing.
GWAR is coming to town, and I can't decide if I want to ask to shoot them. I'm simultaneously excited and terrified at the idea of shooting a show where fake vomit's flying everywhere.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
For GWAR?

Bring a poncho, a hat you don't care about, and rainsleeves for your gear.

and really crappy shoes.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

dreggory posted:

I once did this except it was in a basement and I had no room to move. I was literally on top of the drum set and ended up holding the singer up at one point. At this show I was shooting on my XTi with a 10-20 at 10mm. It was really tight as these photos will show.

Transit-25 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr
I'm not even sure where the singer is in this photo, somewhere being crushed

Transit-28 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr
You can see the lip of the drumset in this one, I was literally on top of it

Such an awesome show to shoot though

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010

pr0digal posted:

At this show I was shooting on my XTi with a 10-20 at 10mm. It was really tight as these photos will show.

If you're not sure where the singer is in your first photo, you're going to have a hard time pitching these photos to bands. If this weren't the 'Bands and concert photo' thread, I don't think I'd recognize the first photo as a concert. The microphone provides this context in the second photo but only after my eye's taken in the image.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Here are 2 from Pendulum, from last Tuesday.

How I wish I had some faster lenses, it was a bitch getting my 50mm to focus well. I took about 400 pictures and the keepers are about 60, and on half of those the focus is meh, and the shot would have been a lot better if it was sharper.
Oh well, I still had a lot of fun and I'm still very happy with the shots I got! I was the only photographer I saw at the show, so hopefully these get around to someone and maybe someone will want to pay me for them. :3:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

wanderlost posted:

If you're not sure where the singer is in your first photo, you're going to have a hard time pitching these photos to bands. If this weren't the 'Bands and concert photo' thread, I don't think I'd recognize the first photo as a concert. The microphone provides this context in the second photo but only after my eye's taken in the image.

It was a joke.

He's on the far right of the photo. See the stripe on the guys shirt? He's to the left of that. Personally I would recognize the photo as a concert as the shows I go to are often like this. The show I shoot aren't big arena shows as my post was supposed to reinforce.

This was probably one of the favorite shows I've photographed recently. I hope they have another show there soon

Such Gold-6 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Also anybody know good venues in the DC are to check out?

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 26, 2011

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I guess i'll post the shots from the Disco Biscuits and Archnemesis show I got a media pass for. The lighting was generally awful even for a 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 the stage setup was retarded, the best photos I got were of the drummer this should not happen ever.

IMG_5921 by Photex-Media, on Flickr

IMG_5977 by Photex-Media, on Flickr

IMG_6055 by Photex-Media, on Flickr

IMG_6087 by Photex-Media, on Flickr

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

pr0digal posted:

Also anybody know good venues in the DC are to check out?

Red and Black
Rock and Roll Hotel
DC9
Black Cat
U Street

And there was an awesome basement show I went to in Columbia Heights in the alleyway between 11th & 13th off Monroe St NW. It's called Paper Sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Hey Rukes, not sure if you still read this thread; are you heading down Australia-way with Deadmau5 for Creamfields?

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 1, 2011