Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

WhyteRyce posted:

NJO removed the "Minor alien threat/doomsday weapon of the week" routine and replaced it with a "Major Vong threat/Vong doomsday weapon of the week" routine.

At least they were all related together in one large arc. Besides, the Vong only had one super weapon and it turned out to not even be a superweapon.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

At least they were all related together in one large arc. Besides, the Vong only had one super weapon and it turned out to not even be a superweapon.

Vong had blackholes popping up when or wherever they wanted, Vong warriors equipped with armor and weapons that could go toe-to-toe with lightsabers, the ability to crash moons down on planets, shapeshifters, unstoppable Jedi killing beasts, magical alchemy, etc. They were one big walking superweapon.

I don't agree that it was related in one large arc. Yes, I guess since it was Vong related then it's considered one large arc. But a good chunk of that series is just bullshit filler and ultimately had gently caress-all to do with anything or even the next book/mini-series, so in that regard it was very much like the Bantam-era EU. The EU wasn't stuck in a rut before NJO because it needed something fresh, it was stuck in a rut because of lovely writers. The NJO just moved the EU to another rut, which was darker and more in-your-face.

And I blame it for giving the green-light to cram a bunch of fantasy-novel bullshit into Star Wars.

And so ends my monthly NJO rant

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 17, 2011

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I understand that they wanted to give the main characters a "real challenge" with the Yuuzhan Vong but it just feels like the conflict is never resolved. It just seems to die after it was completely out of steam and almost seems like it was retconned out of existence.

I know Legacy has the Vong in it but shouldn't these guys be everywhere? I remember reading the background about how they're rightfully despised and essentially live in secret enclaves but they conquered half the galaxy. Shouldn't there be some presence or contribution from them?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I understand that they wanted to give the main characters a "real challenge" with the Yuuzhan Vong but it just feels like the conflict is never resolved. It just seems to die after it was completely out of steam and almost seems like it was retconned out of existence.

I know Legacy has the Vong in it but shouldn't these guys be everywhere? I remember reading the background about how they're rightfully despised and essentially live in secret enclaves but they conquered half the galaxy. Shouldn't there be some presence or contribution from them?

That's just one of the reasons why LoTF and FoTJ suck. They completely ignored a lot about the NJO and seem to be killing off all of the characters from it. Whether you like the NJO or not it is foolish to pretend it never happened as it was, you know, kind of a big loving deal in the Star Wars universe.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Somehow the extra-galactic invaders, who came in sufficient numbers to take over 2/3 of the galaxy, all settled on Zenoma Sekot and were never heard from again.

For me the EU ends about 2/3 into NJO. I was down with the brushfire alien threats of the week because it is somewhat plausible that there would be small areas of the galaxy with aggressive, expansionist species. Tell those stories! I love reading about stuff happening in the Star Wars universe. I was down for the Vong invasion because it initially felt appropriately epic in scale and dire. Once Zenoma Deus Ex shows up there is no longer any point to anything.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I forget, did the magic planet do anything other than show up, go "hey guys!", and cause a lot of Vong to surrender? All I really remember it doing was showing up near Coruscant and letting Coran fly around in those pod things (but not letting him attack)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

I forget, did the magic planet do anything other than show up, go "hey guys!", and cause a lot of Vong to surrender? All I really remember it doing was showing up near Coruscant and letting Coran fly around in those pod things (but not letting him attack)

It went into orbit around Coruscant and wrecked havoc on the planet due to gravity stuff. Basically tons of Earthquakes and poo poo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dark Nest basically starts off with a montage of scenes where the characters all say how everything is back to normal and been repaired from the Vong war. You can basically hear Denning shouting at you through the text to pretend the NJO didn't happen. Because obviously everything after it was so amazing and frehahahahaha

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They really should have written something that occurred during a reconstruction and reconciliation period instead of loving bug orgies.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Casimir Radon posted:

They really should have written something that occurred during a reconstruction and reconciliation period instead of loving bug orgies.

The Vong were supposed to disband and GTFO. Any hold-outs were supposed to be taken care of by the surrendered Vong. I guess the GA didn't really have to do much other than coordinate and maybe send a ship or two to oversee.

But once the Vong left you pretty much have a bunch of uninhabited planets with nothing but a token GA ship or two to patrol the region. It would have been stupidly easy to write a series about the power vacuum in the region. Pirates, would-be warlords, businessmen, Hutts whatever. But then you'd have to not rely on whoring out the Big Three, again, to solve the problem and not relying on BIG, DARK, AND IN YOUR FACE to make it interesting.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I haven't read the books with the bugs (were they those swarm war novels?) and don't intend to, so could someone enlighten me on what this bug orgies thing is about? I'd google it but everyone knows how that would end.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I haven't read the books with the bugs (were they those swarm war novels?) and don't intend to, so could someone enlighten me on what this bug orgies thing is about? I'd google it but everyone knows how that would end.
It's not a hard concept.

The Spacebugs have giant bug orgies. For whatever reason, the authors decided that some of the Jedi characters should get in on it (it being "giant bug orgies").

Giant Bug Orgies.

Giant Bug Orgies

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

The Vong were supposed to disband and GTFO. Any hold-outs were supposed to be taken care of by the surrendered Vong. I guess the GA didn't really have to do much other than coordinate and maybe send a ship or two to oversee.

But once the Vong left you pretty much have a bunch of uninhabited planets with nothing but a token GA ship or two to patrol the region. It would have been stupidly easy to write a series about the power vacuum in the region. Pirates, would-be warlords, businessmen, Hutts whatever. But then you'd have to not rely on whoring out the Big Three, again, to solve the problem and not relying on BIG, DARK, AND IN YOUR FACE to make it interesting.
I think they left it open enough that someone could still do it as it was a 5 year jump. The Skywalker family adventures Zahn wanted to write isn't going to happen now that yet another of his creations got killed of by lovely authors, he ought to write something set in that time.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

It's not a hard concept.

The Spacebugs have giant bug orgies. For whatever reason, the authors decided that some of the Jedi characters should get in on it (it being "giant bug orgies").

Giant Bug Orgies.

Giant Bug Orgies

But is it orgies for the sake of orgies or do they get some kind of superpowers out of it or something?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Der Luftwaffle posted:

But is it orgies for the sake of orgies or do they get some kind of superpowers out of it or something?
The bugs just like orgies.

Giant Bug Orgies

DrWhom
Jul 16, 2010

Der Luftwaffle posted:

You're really best served by just checking out the Let Us Read Terrible Star Wars Books For You thread and reading Mahoshonen's read through of The Dark Nest. He's not quite finished the final book, but he's still updating and the bug orgies start pretty early on anyway.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Also a female character is referred to as a "bug slut".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I really hate how the bug orgies keep coming up in the newer books. I'm sure they were mentioned at least a few time in FOTJ.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Casimir Radon posted:

I really hate how the bug orgies keep coming up in the newer books. I'm sure they were mentioned at least a few time in FOTJ.

Bug orgies are now as much a part of Star Wars as lightsabers, X-wings, and bottomless pits without rails around them.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

DrWhom posted:

It was Walter Jon Williams, the book being Destiny's Way. Apparently it's the only Star Wars novel he's ever written, I guess most of their regulars were feeling pretty burnt out during the marathon that was the NJO. Bonus picture:

I'm going to choose to believe that he was being meta there. Writers hate superweapon du jour plots as much as the rest of us, right?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mooktastical posted:

I'm going to choose to believe that he was being meta there. Writers hate superweapon du jour plots as much as the rest of us, right?

A lot of authors rip on the contributions from the really bad ones. Stackpole's I, Jedi vs. Jedi Academy trilogy, Zahn's Hand of Thrawn duology vs. the rest of the EU, etc.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 17, 2011

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

According to canon when and how does Han Solo die?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

SilkyP posted:

When George Lucas and his estate have enough money (answer: never).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SilkyP posted:

Authors aren't allowed to cover the death of the big 3. It's a rule from Lucas. The closest they've come is a comic taking place somewhere around 150 years in the future, and Luke is a Force ghost. But, unless I'm mistaken, the where and how of his death is never referred to.

There's a non-canon comic about Han's death, but it doesn't count...and is stupid.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

thrawn527 posted:

There's a non-canon comic about Han's death, but it doesn't count...and is stupid.

It's not stupid, it's awesome.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Slantedfloors posted:

It's not stupid, it's awesome.

Han Solo/Indiana Jones crossovers are more canon to me than FOTJ

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I can't decide if I like Chewie becoming Bigfoot better than getting crushed by a moon.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Casimir Radon posted:

I can't decide if I like Chewie becoming Bigfoot better than getting crushed by a moon.

For the answer to which is better, imagine Chewie teaming up with Indiana Jones to fight off a team of Nazi infiltrators who are trying to salvage the Falcon's weapons systems.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

For the answer to which is better, imagine Chewie teaming up with Indiana Jones to fight off a team of Nazi infiltrators who are trying to salvage the Falcon's weapons systems.
This is beautiful.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
Imagine Chewie teaming up with Indiana Jones to break into a secret special vault where intellectual property rights are kept to prevent Lucas from making any more movies involving them.

Now that's a story I'd get behind

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

KaosFactor posted:

Imagine Chewie teaming up with Indiana Jones to break into a secret special vault where intellectual property rights are kept to prevent Lucas from making any more movies involving them.

Now that's a story I'd get behind
They still kill some Nazis though, right? This is important.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Who would win in a fight, Indian Jones Nazis or A New Hope Stormtroopers?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chairman Capone posted:

Also a female character is referred to as a "bug slut".
That's the Star Wars I know and love!

Which one :(

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who would win in a fight, Indian Jones Nazis or A New Hope Stormtroopers?
The Nazis actually beat Indiana Jones in Raiders and Crusade, they just ended up picking a fight with God.

Plus, the Nazis regularly beat the poo poo out of Indiana before he wins by sheer luck or plane propellers.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If Chewie teams up with Indy, does that mean Han teams up with Short Round?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

WhyteRyce posted:

Han is actually dead at that point.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Slantedfloors posted:

Han is actually dead at that point.

Oh yeah :(

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

WhyteRyce posted:

Oh yeah :(
Maybe Short Round can drive his skeleton around in the car?

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel

WhyteRyce posted:

No, he just shoot Shia LeBeuf in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

KaosFactor posted:

No, he just shoot Shia LeBeuf in the face.
After Shia threw coffee on him like the petulant child he is.