Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Goddamnit, why do all these movies suck? I bet I'm going to go back and check and it's going to turn out that Batteries Not Included was made by a team of Nazi scientists or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pike
Feb 6, 2001

I'm trying to figure out the name of this movie. The only thing I can remember is that it beings with a bunch of cops outside an apartment. There's a hostage situation inside where some punk has an uzi to his girlfriend. Our hero, a cop, comes up to the door. I think his partner is on the otherside. Someone says the line, "He's got his girlfriend hostage. He's smoking ice." Then they charge the room. The hero kills the bad guy but I think the partner dies in the process. Then the movie begins from there. Any thoughts on what this is? It's killing me.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
e. Wait, no..

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Can someone help me find a Steve McQueen movie I caught some bits and pieces of (I'm pretty sure it was Steve McQueen, at least). Anyway, it was a pretty action-packed crime movie with some cool car chases. At the end of the movie, the villain-guy tries to set the protagonist on fire by covering him with straw, though I believe he gets interrupted.

I believe the movie is from the 70s. I saw part of it 4ish years ago on DVD (I believe; could have been VHS).

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

il serpente cosmico posted:

Can someone help me find a Steve McQueen movie I caught some bits and pieces of (I'm pretty sure it was Steve McQueen, at least). Anyway, it was a pretty action-packed crime movie with some cool car chases. At the end of the movie, the villain-guy tries to set the protagonist on fire by covering him with straw, though I believe he gets interrupted.

I believe the movie is from the 70s. I saw part of it 4ish years ago on DVD (I believe; could have been VHS).

That actually sounds like a pretty good description of To Live and Die in L.A., with William Petersen, Willem Dafoe, and Ira from Mad About You.

pike
Feb 6, 2001

Shredded paper, but yeah that sounds exactly like Live and Die in L.A. The entire thing seems to be on youtube, so you can confirm/deny there - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ck-D-BrefA

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The second was a kids movie made in the 90's I think. Kids dad works at a TOP SECRET government facility developing some new power source. The villains show up and some how the kid ends up with the power source thing in a backpack and antics ensue. There was a scene where they have a chase on a highway and the kid uses the backpack to go super fast. Also the gang of kids are helped out by their token female member who is a sassy latina teen who works on cars. Saw this movie at a birday party a looong rear end time ago, have found other people who know of it but none remember the title.

Was it "Clockstoppers"?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Glass Joe posted:

That actually sounds like a pretty good description of To Live and Die in L.A., with William Petersen, Willem Dafoe, and Ira from Mad About You.

pike posted:

Shredded paper, but yeah that sounds exactly like Live and Die in L.A. The entire thing seems to be on youtube, so you can confirm/deny there - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ck-D-BrefA

That's the one! Thanks guys.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

il serpente cosmico posted:

That's the one! Thanks guys.

Great movie, too. Well worth another viewing.

Ragitsu
Apr 12, 2010
Hi folks. I thought i'd post my question here.

---

I'm struggling to remember a movie.

It's your typical movie college classroom with the stadium style seating. There is a professor with dark brown hair and glasses (iirc) and he is lecturing and all of the sudden he starts babbling gibberish and then claws at his face. I think he ends up dead and the cops come in and start investigating. The investigation turns out that he had some kind of poison in his system that made him do it.

It was fairly recent, within the past 5 years. I can't recall any of the actors.

I believe other people ended up getting sick with same poison, but can't be positive.

That's about all I can remember.

Help? This is driving me crazy!

pike
Feb 6, 2001

pike posted:

I'm trying to figure out the name of this movie. The only thing I can remember is that it beings with a bunch of cops outside an apartment. There's a hostage situation inside where some punk has an uzi to his girlfriend. Our hero, a cop, comes up to the door. I think his partner is on the otherside. Someone says the line, "He's got his girlfriend hostage. He's smoking ice." Then they charge the room. The hero kills the bad guy but I think the partner dies in the process. Then the movie begins from there. Any thoughts on what this is? It's killing me.

Hah, I figured it out. "One Good Cop". Terrible movie.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Sorry for how vague this is, but that's what this thread is all about I guess!

I saw a movie as a young teen, so about 10 - 15 years ago and it was some kind of thriller. The main plot point was this LOST-like hatch that the characters found and went into for some reason (I think they were planning on having a party?) Anyway something happens and they end up trapped in the hatch.

That's about all I can remember, sorry!!

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
The Hole, maybe?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jeepers Creepers has a scene like that with a big pipe opening, and it would have been in theaters about ten years ago.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Gnack posted:

I saw a movie as a young teen, so about 10 - 15 years ago and it was some kind of thriller. The main plot point was this LOST-like hatch that the characters found and went into for some reason (I think they were planning on having a party?) Anyway something happens and they end up trapped in the hatch.

This is a long shot, but was it Matinee (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107529/)?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Gnack posted:

MachineryNoise posted:

The Hole, maybe?

Pretty sure MachineryNoise is right.

Gnatmano
Feb 8, 2006

ugh
I saw about 2 minutes of a movie on cable roughly eight years ago, where a bunch of men in monster/devil masks were singing the Horst Wessel-Lied (or a similar Nazi-esque song) around a bonfire. Any ideas?

Strand
Dec 11, 2008

Maybe someone with low self-esteem and slightly larger breasts.
A film (possible TV show episode) seen roughly a decade ago. A bunch of people (maybe slaves) standing around in a desert after they were ejected from what seems to be a prison, the warden shouts to them something along the lines of "You think these walls were built to keep you in? They were built to keep you out!"

Please bring me closure.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
I saw a movie in the early 90's I believe on HBO.

The story revolves around a kid who while being bullied fell and hit his head and went into a coma, so some of the move showed him in a coma with friends and family watching him, but most was about his crazy coma dream involving a Tree House.

The scene I remember involves the main character and his crew walking down a deserted road with a road sign to the right(?).

I may have asked this in the last thread, but never got an answer.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Ridonkulous posted:

I saw a movie in the early 90's I believe on HBO.

The story revolves around a kid who while being bullied fell and hit his head and went into a coma, so some of the move showed him in a coma with friends and family watching him, but most was about his crazy coma dream involving a Tree House.

The scene I remember involves the main character and his crew walking down a deserted road with a road sign to the right(?).

I may have asked this in the last thread, but never got an answer.

It sounds like you're describing The Odyssey, though that was a TV show, not a movie:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Odyssey_(TV_series)

quote:

In the series pilot, 11-year-old Jay tries to join a tree-fort club, led by the tough Keith. As per the pre-arranged agreement, Jay has brought something of value to contribute to the club: a telescope that belonged to his father (who has been missing several years and is presumed dead). However, Keith double-crosses Jay and takes the telescope, denying him admission into the club. Jay tries to retrieve the telescope with the help of his physically disabled friend Donna, who uses a crutch and a leg brace in order to walk. Jay falls from the tree-fort, however, injuring his head, and lapses into a coma.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Unexpected EOF posted:

It sounds like you're describing The Odyssey, though that was a TV show, not a movie:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Odyssey_(TV_series)

Wow, thanks.

Ragitsu
Apr 12, 2010
Hm, I guess that movie was more obscure than I thought.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Something interesting I just discovered on IMDB while trying to do an advanced search

http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Keywords/

They call it "MoKA" (Movie Keyword Analyzer) and it's like a combination stacked search and tag cloud. You start with one keyword, and see all other related keywords that it matches based on frequency.

edit: so for example

Strand posted:

A film (possible TV show episode) seen roughly a decade ago. A bunch of people (maybe slaves) standing around in a desert after they were ejected from what seems to be a prison, the warden shouts to them something along the lines of "You think these walls were built to keep you in? They were built to keep you out!"

Please bring me closure.

Here are the searches for "desert" and "prison" keywords together

For TV: http://www.imdb.com/keyword/desert/prison/?title_type=tv
For Movies: http://www.imdb.com/keyword/desert/prison/?title_type=feature

You can then further narrow down by genre, rating, etc etc

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 18, 2011

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Ragitsu posted:

Hi folks. I thought i'd post my question here.

---

I'm struggling to remember a movie.

It's your typical movie college classroom with the stadium style seating. There is a professor with dark brown hair and glasses (iirc) and he is lecturing and all of the sudden he starts babbling gibberish and then claws at his face. I think he ends up dead and the cops come in and start investigating. The investigation turns out that he had some kind of poison in his system that made him do it.

It was fairly recent, within the past 5 years. I can't recall any of the actors.

I believe other people ended up getting sick with same poison, but can't be positive.

That's about all I can remember.

Help? This is driving me crazy!

Trying to narrow this one down using MoKA as well...Keyword "college-professor" genre "mystery"

http://www.imdb.com/keyword/college-professor/?genre=mystery&sort=release_date

Is it Thr3e (released in 2006)?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I've asked this one before but nobody was able to figure it out:

This was an old Shaw Brothers era kung fu movie where a guy is doing pushups while an old white or grey haired master sits on his back, as well as other weird training things, all involving the old master making it more difficult with his weight. It was kinda similar to in Star Wars when Luke has to carry Yoda.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

codyclarke posted:

I've asked this one before but nobody was able to figure it out:

This was an old Shaw Brothers era kung fu movie where a guy is doing pushups while an old white or grey haired master sits on his back, as well as other weird training things, all involving the old master making it more difficult with his weight. It was kinda similar to in Star Wars when Luke has to carry Yoda.

There's a scene in Invincible Shaolin where the guy has to do push-ups over a well and the master puts a boulder on his back.

Here's the clip of the training scenes actually Invincible Shaolin Training

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Strand posted:

Please bring me closure.

Seems familiar to me. Maybe New Eden with Stephen Baldwin?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Here's one: an old slasher/horror movie, from the 70's or 80's. A bunch of women/girls, one of them dies due to something they did, and they hush it up. Later they're all invited to this house where they're killed one by one by the father of the dead woman/girl.

Anyone know what this was called? I know, horribly obscure b-movie horror...

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

ZeeBoi posted:

Here's one: an old slasher/horror movie, from the 70's or 80's. A bunch of women/girls, one of them dies due to something they did, and they hush it up. Later they're all invited to this house where they're killed one by one by the father of the dead woman/girl.

Maybe The House on Sorority Row? It's a son, not a father, though.

This could be a lot of things, though. 80s horror loved butchering women en masse.

Chickenfat
Nov 14, 2008

It ain't easy bein' greasy.

The Uber Skull posted:

Okay I have two movies I cannot recall for the life of me, help me out goons!

1. This was a black and white movie about a magical woman of some kind who could turn into smoke. She fell in love with a human man but her father wanted her to leave him. She tricked him into turning into smoke and trapped him in a bottle and they all lived happily ever after.

Posted on GB thread also.

I Married a Witch with Veronica Lake?
You can watch the whole movie (divided into 6 parts I think) there.

Chickenfat fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 18, 2011

Snitch
Nov 18, 2004

When all else fails, there's always delusion.
Been looking for this movie for quite some time mainly because I cant recall poo poo about it..

All I can remember is that it has John Candy and if I remember correctly he has his wallet stolen from a hooker in a car.

Vague, I know, but you guys seem to have this infinite magic of movie knowledge..

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

ZeeBoi posted:

Possibly To All A Goodnight? Can you remember any deaths or how the killer looked?

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Snitch posted:

Been looking for this movie for quite some time mainly because I cant recall poo poo about it..

All I can remember is that it has John Candy and if I remember correctly he has his wallet stolen from a hooker in a car.

Vague, I know, but you guys seem to have this infinite magic of movie knowledge..

Not John Candy it's Ed O'Neill (Al Bundy) in the movie Dutch

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
My query is about a tv show. Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I see no "help me remember the name of this tv show" thread.

It was aired on TLC or Discovery, one of the edutainment channels.
It was aired somewhere in the time frame of '89-'92, I think more in the '90-'91.
It was an American rebroadcast of an English tv show.
The show's content was about b-movie/cult movie/horror movies. I remember it being my first exposure to Sam Raimi, the Reanimator series and a movie where cats start to crave human flesh because cat food turns out to be made of human corpses.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Sizone posted:

My query is about a tv show. Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I see no "help me remember the name of this tv show" thread.

It was aired on TLC or Discovery, one of the edutainment channels.
It was aired somewhere in the time frame of '89-'92, I think more in the '90-'91.
It was an American rebroadcast of an English tv show.
The show's content was about b-movie/cult movie/horror movies. I remember it being my first exposure to Sam Raimi, the Reanimator series and a movie where cats start to crave human flesh because cat food turns out to be made of human corpses.

The Incredibly Strange Film Show

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

YES! That's been haunting me for months and my google skills failed to find it. Thanks.

Snitch
Nov 18, 2004

When all else fails, there's always delusion.

Starscream posted:

Not John Candy it's Ed O'Neill (Al Bundy) in the movie Dutch

AHA Holy poo poo, that's it. I love you right now..

Where the gently caress did I get John Candy from?

harborbomber
Feb 20, 2011

by angerbeet
Someone please tell me the movie where everyone is being videotaped.

All I remember is at the end of the movie this high school teacher ends up getting arrested for being a pedo. Some girl also gets kidnapped at the end. hosed up movie, I was just too drunk at the time to remember more about it. It was one of those movies I wanted to come back and watch again sober.

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Snitch posted:

Where the gently caress did I get John Candy from?

Maybe from Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Both that and Dutch have similar "road trips turned hellish" vibes. I could certainly see mixing the two up a bit in your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Erasmus Darwin posted:

Maybe from Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Both that and Dutch have similar "road trips turned hellish" vibes. I could certainly see mixing the two up a bit in your mind.

John Candy gets his wallet stolen in that one, too. Not by a prostitute though.