Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Darth Ronson posted:

Were actual pieces of eight as hoarded by pirates all wobbly edged as they're seen in some films? Wikipedia's pictures of pieces of eight shows them being properly minted - is the wobbly edgedness meant to show they were under water for a while? Or is it just artistic licence on the behalf of Hollywood?

Old fashioned coin making was often more than a little bit sloppy. Sometimes the mints would have the coins produced nice and neat and sometimes they'd be a little bit messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a beautiful baby
Feb 29, 2008

This cover picture for the Economist replaces the name of every state with some name reflecting the grim financial situation of the US (Illinois -> Ill., for example): http://www.economist.com/node/18010469?Story_ID=18010469

What does Nebraska's new name, "Nebrassic", mean?
Please let me know.

I have three ideas (spoilered so as not to influence your judgment):
1. Like Jurassic. But I don't see what that has to do with being poor. Were dinosaurs poor? Are Nebraskans as primitive as our Jurassic mammal ancestors?
2. Nebra - sick. Like, the state is sick.
3. If you say it with a really nasal voice, it sounds like "depressing".

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

a beautiful baby posted:

What does Nebraska's new name, "Nebrassic", mean?

Brassic is (British?) slang for being poor.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=brassic

a beautiful baby
Feb 29, 2008

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Brassic is (British?) slang for being poor.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=brassic

Thanks!!! i'm so glad it's not jurassic.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Some of those are clever but some are just real bad. Seems like someone got too wed to the idea.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

Some of those are clever but some are just real bad. Seems like someone got too wed to the idea.

What? Got a problem with such gold as "Vergin'on the ridiculous", "West Vergin'on the ridiculous", and "Debt Mountana"?

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
What would be the best way to send a one-time e-mail to ~320 people? I'm using Thunderbird/Dreamhost at work and BCCing everyone but can't send "quote exceeded". I assume Dreamhost thinks I'm spamming everyone. I don't want to sign up for something like Constant Constact since this is going to be a one-time thing. I have all of the e-mail addresses in a spreadsheet as well as listed individually line-by-line in a Notepad document.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
FoxIt was the free pdf reader, but now they are pushing toolbars and other crap that you cannot opt out of.

Is there a FOSS option for a good pdf reader for Windows, or a free one that is not trying to install toolbar and other spywarish stuff?

Also is there a free dual pane file browser, preferably FOSS again?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 18, 2011

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Kitsch! posted:

What would be the best way to send a one-time e-mail to ~320 people? I'm using Thunderbird/Dreamhost at work and BCCing everyone but can't send "quote exceeded". I assume Dreamhost thinks I'm spamming everyone. I don't want to sign up for something like Constant Constact since this is going to be a one-time thing. I have all of the e-mail addresses in a spreadsheet as well as listed individually line-by-line in a Notepad document.

You're BCCing, so why not just send 4 emails one after the other?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

kapalama posted:

Is there a FOSS option for a good pdf reader for Windows, or a free one that is not trying to install toolbar and other spywarish stuff?

Don't remember if anything tried to tag along during the install but Sumatra PDF is FOSS and does fine by me.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

kapalama posted:

FoxIt was the free pdf reader, but now they are pushing toolbars and other crap that you cannot opt out of.

What's wrong with Adobe Reader? It's not open source and is kind of clunky but it gets the job done.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.

ibroxmassive posted:

You're BCCing, so why not just send 4 emails one after the other?

I can do that, but it'll take me 4 hours (100 recipients per hour). Just sent 90 out and looks like I can't do any more right now.
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/SMTP_quota

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

A Violence Gang posted:

Don't remember if anything tried to tag along during the install but Sumatra PDF is FOSS and does fine by me.

Thanks for this.

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

What's wrong with Adobe Reader? It's not open source and is kind of clunky but it gets the job done.

Nothing in particular except that it is clunky. Especially the way it installs its own updater, and downloads huge updates in the background, and tends to need to online to complete the install. (100mb for Asian language support files. My connection is slow and intermittent, and I am downloading stuff on my mac and taking it to the windows machine.)

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Droid Washington posted:

Thanks for everyones advice on the therapist no-show bill. I scrounged up some money and sent them a check, and cancelled my rescheduled appointment with them.

Why did you cancel the reschedule? I've missed a few appointments over time but it's still in my best interest to go

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Here's my PDF software of choice:

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

Lightweight and has hundreds of features you have to pay out the rear end to let Adobe do. Allows highlighting and annotating and other neat stuff. Ideal for students.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realize you're looking for Open Source stuff. Regardless it's worth a try.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Here's my PDF software of choice:

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

Lightweight and has hundreds of features you have to pay out the rear end to let Adobe do. Allows highlighting and annotating and other neat stuff. Ideal for students.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realize you're looking for Open Source stuff. Regardless it's worth a try.

Thanks for this one too. FOSS is ideal, but free is also good.

BagelMaster
Mar 20, 2008
So for whatever reason I've grown accustomed to wearing wifebeaters/a-shirts instead of whatever undershirts I used to wear under dress shirts and button-ups; however, being a cheap bastard (and also college student), I was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy them online for any cheaper than Target/Wal-mart.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Kitsch! posted:

I'm pretty sure Constant Contact has a free trial, so if you don't already have an account it would probably be just the thing. I'll check later and see if it's a referral thing.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

wigtrade.cc posted:

Hey does anyone remember those patterns on the back of cereal boxes that usually just looked like a lot of random noise until you put on these special glasses which would reveal the hidden words?

Few pages back, but these are called Stereograms.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Robin Sparkles posted:

Few pages back, but these are called Stereograms.

:ssh: No they aren't.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What kind of hat is this? It isn't a pillbox ballcap (like the 1970s Pirates wore) and it isn't a military tri-corner cap like old cops wore.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Over the last few few days I've been through two light bulbs in quick succession for my bed side light.

It's your average desk lamp that takes 40 watt bayonet bulbs. What do you think is causing this?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jippa posted:

Over the last few few days I've been through two light bulbs in quick succession for my bed side light.

It's your average desk lamp that takes 40 watt bayonet bulbs. What do you think is causing this?

Entropy aided and abetted by statistics and chaos theory. Or shorting wiring.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

:ssh: No they aren't.

Yes they are

Wikipedia posted:

An autostereogram is an optical illusion of depth usually observed by allowing the eyes to focus behind the image (diverge), or, less often, in front of it (converge). These two methods are also known as wall-eyed and cross-eyed, respectively. The slight differences in vertical repetitions of figures or random dots create the illusion of depth in the 2D image, just as the slight difference in perspective between one's eyes creates the perception of depth on 3D objects and scenes.
With a picture of one on the side.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Gravity Pike posted:

Is there anywhere legit online that I can watch the IBM Watson Jeoparty games? Not asking for :filez:, just want to know if they're streaming on Hulu or NBC or ABC or whatever channel Jeoparty is on.

You'll have more luck finding them if you spell it correctly - it's 'jeopardy', like the word 'jeopardy', not 'jeoparty' like some kind of misspelt geography party.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
If anyone can help me find either of these two threads I will be very grateful.

First one was a joke thread where some guy had a really stupid and long winded joke and the punchline was "Welcome to the Republican Party!". I know it became somewhat popular after that, but I'm looking for the original thread specifically because some of the responses to that post were incredible.

The second one was relatively recent (past month or two) and might have been gassed. Pretty sure it was in A/T and the OP posted some rambling post about how he and his friends had a LAN party. It ended with the quote "It was certainly an experience!" and the responses that followed were also hilarious.

I know there's a PYF thread about finding threads, but I posted the first one and got no response, plus this thread seems to be generally more reliable.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Robin Sparkles posted:

Yes they are

With a picture of one on the side.

The cereal box ones the guy was talking about are different. There's a bunch of red static over some blue writing or whatever. You can't tell what the writing says until you put on the little red-tinted plastic glasses and it filters everything red so the blue comes through clearly. It has nothing to do with 3D.

That said, I still have no idea what it's called.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Jeffrey Colon posted:

If anyone can help me find either of these two threads I will be very grateful.

First one was a joke thread where some guy had a really stupid and long winded joke and the punchline was "Welcome to the Republican Party!". I know it became somewhat popular after that, but I'm looking for the original thread specifically because some of the responses to that post were incredible.

This?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

tendrilsfor20 posted:

What kind of hat is this? It isn't a pillbox ballcap (like the 1970s Pirates wore) and it isn't a military tri-corner cap like old cops wore.

It turns out this is a "military cadet's hat", specifically a flat one.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I have a couple of USB powered devices that need extra power.

With one of them I got USB cord that has a Y split to let it plug into two USB ports for extra power. What are those kind of cords called so I can google them and but more?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

kapalama posted:

I have a couple of USB powered devices that need extra power.

With one of them I got USB cord that has a Y split to let it plug into two USB ports for extra power. What are those kind of cords called so I can google them and but more?

I got good results searching for "USB Male Y Adapter" on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Power-Adapter-Cable-AUSB-Y/dp/B000JIOHDE
http://www.amazon.com/AUDIOVOX-Utstarcom-Universal-Adapter-Terminal/dp/B0041CFFBM
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Splitter-Motorola-Blackberry-AUDM6BEBXAR/dp/B003VWJT0G

These just have generic female USB plugs at the end.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-28108-Y-Cable-Black/dp/B0013LSFJI
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-B-Booster-External-Drives-Manhattan/dp/B003IMAEL2
http://www.amazon.com/Bytecc-USB2-HD201-cable-mini-USB-Hi-Speed/dp/B002GWMLE8

And these two are a few I found with common male ends for USB devices if you'd rather have that.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I thank you greatly. Adding male or female was the trick, I was trying Y and google tends to ignore single letters like that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have a plastic cup that I only ever drink iced tea out of. When I wash it, I can never get all the tea reside off of it with dish detergent. Just now, for the hell of it I sprayed bleach-based kitchen cleaner in there, and it tore off the tea residue instantly. I washed it about three times afterwards and there is no more bleach smell, is it safe to drink out of?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have a plastic cup that I only ever drink iced tea out of. When I wash it, I can never get all the tea reside off of it with dish detergent. Just now, for the hell of it I sprayed bleach-based kitchen cleaner in there, and it tore off the tea residue instantly. I washed it about three times afterwards and there is no more bleach smell, is it safe to drink out of?

Campers sometimes use bleach to disinfect water (in small drops of course) so it is safe enough. The bleach did not actually remove anything, though, it just bleached the tea color out. Apropos of nothing Bleach is really hard on plastics, so if it is your favorite cup from when you were a child you might want to live with the tea stains or avoid tea.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

kapalama posted:

Campers sometimes use bleach to disinfect water (in small drops of course) so it is safe enough. The bleach did not actually remove anything, though, it just bleached the tea color out. Apropos of nothing Bleach is really hard on plastics, so if it is your favorite cup from when you were a child you might want to live with the tea stains or avoid tea.
You mean the tea residue is still there, but is...transparent? I'm staring at the cup and having a hard time believing that.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

It broke down the dye compounds in the tea stains. So it did remove something, but it also probably did a number on the plastic of the cup.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

You mean the tea residue is still there, but is...transparent? I'm staring at the cup and having a hard time believing that.

For a fun experiment, slice a carrot into a thin round piece, and leave it in bleach overnight.

You will wake up to a clear slice of carrot. It's kind of weird, like those clear shrimp you see in the ocean (or don't see).

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

No, once you washed it, all the tea was gone. The tea just stained the cup, and the bleach got rid of the stain.

Think, like, how coffee stains your teeth. You brush your teeth, and all the coffee's gone, but the damage still exists in discoloration. As I understand it, any highly acidic thing can leave a significant stain over time (tomato sauce is another example, we've got tons of orange plastic bowels).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

thelightguy posted:

It broke down the dye compounds in the tea stains. So it did remove something, but it also probably did a number on the plastic of the cup.
Well I mean, it's kitchen cleaner, bleach is only one of the ingredients. It's obviously meant to actually remove the content of spills on counters and things too. I figured that's what it did to my cup.

It's a cheap cup anyway, if it gets destroyed by the time I do this fifteen times or whatever that's fine with me. I'm not giving up iced tea anyway, I live on the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

As I understand it, any highly acidic thing can leave a significant stain over time (tomato sauce is another example, we've got tons of orange plastic bowels).

Which does not come out even with bleach IME. They should paint cars and houses with tomato sauce.