Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tempest_56 posted:

The Hunchie can actually avoid trouble from those nasty AC10s by moving into the Zhukov's hex - mechs can occupy the same hex as a tank without harm, and neither can shoot each other. So stomp into 1116, put an AC20 into that Warhammer and then kick the Zhukov after you're done.

Is this true? I had no idea, but this sounds perfect. And once the Zhukov is dead, I can get right up in the Warhammer's face and give him a 20 Autocannon hug :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I2, but I'm given to understand extra damage may splash to I4 as well.

I2 it is. Dropping them from 21/21 to 5/21 in a turn ought to slow them down.

Polaron posted:

Is this true? I had no idea, but this sounds perfect. And once the Zhukov is dead, I can get right up in the Warhammer's face and give him a 20 Autocannon hug :black101:

It is, in fact, true. It's an interesting combination of two rules:

Stacking: "At the end of each Movement Phase, up to two units from each side may occupy a single hex (a maximum of four). These units may consist of any combination of vehicles and infantry, but only one of the four can be a 'Mech." (Total Warfare, p.57 - quoted because it's kind of a quirky rule) In other words, you can put several tanks/infantry into a hex, but only one mech.

Add to that the interesting quirk that the only unit type that can make attacks at range 0 are infantry and, well... the safest place to stand when dealing with a very deadly tank is on it. You can't shoot it and it can't shoot you. But you can kick it to death all day long and there's nothing it can do except try to move away. Which in this scenario it can't.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tempest_56 posted:

The Hunchie can actually avoid trouble from those nasty AC10s by moving into the Zhukov's hex - mechs can occupy the same hex as a tank without harm, and neither can shoot each other. So stomp into 1116, put an AC20 into that Warhammer and then kick the Zhukov after you're done.

This is a seriously :black101: plan and I hope someone does it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Would kicking it be considered splitting my fire, or should I basically just chase the Zhukov around the map until it or the Warhammer are dead?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Polaron posted:

Would kicking it be considered splitting my fire, or should I basically just chase the Zhukov around the map until it or the Warhammer are dead?

Melee is entirely different than shooting, so no, it isn't.

Really, the rule is drat near unfair under the circumstances PTN has put himself. On tabletop it's better since the tank will eventually win initiative and then you're eating a pair of AC10s up your rear end because you can't run away fast enough.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Polaron posted:

IIRC no since physical combat is considered separate from weapons fire. As long as all your guns/missiles are aimed at one target there's no penalty, even if you punch/kick something else.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Polaron posted:

Physical attacks are made after the weapons fire phase, so no, kicking isn't considered splitting your fire. You can shoot one target and kick another with no penalties.

Note that a failed kick does have the risk of sending you rear end-planting to the ground (it forces a piloting skill roll) so keep that in mind.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MJ12 posted:

Physical attacks are made after the weapons fire phase, so no, kicking isn't considered splitting your fire. You can shoot one target and kick another with no penalties.

Note that a failed kick does have the risk of sending you rear end-planting to the ground (it forces a piloting skill roll) so keep that in mind.

He's piloting 3, gunnery 5, so a strategy that takes advantage of that is probably best. Get to chasing and kicking that tank!

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Defiance Industries posted:

Also, with the proliferation of C3-spotter lights, the light hunter designs like the Wolfhound and Panther have their own little niche, though it's mostly predicated on you facing a DC/WoB/C* force.

Yeah, that's certainly true, but personally I'd rather have something like the Hermes-4S for that kind of work - you can more or less match speed with their spotters, and the pulses help you take them down quicker with less fuss. Also, you have ECM, making the c3 net not function while you're hunting down anything annoying.

The WLF-3S (light engine, ERPPC variant) and the TComped Panther (12A, I think?) are both pretty decent for what they cost, though. Even the standard 3050 refit Wolfhound can do a few things too. The WLF, I think, is better served running around at medium range and plinking, though.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

WarLocke posted:

IIRC no since physical combat is considered separate from weapons fire. As long as all your guns/missiles are aimed at one target there's no penalty, even if you punch/kick something else.

*Evil laugh, lightning, etc*

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
So playing a 6 player Charger only game was pretty awesome... till it broke MegaMek. That just made it better.

We need more Chargers in this thread.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Polaron posted:

*Evil laugh, lightning, etc*

Keep in mind that if you fire a weapon from the left or right arm you're unable to use it to punch.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

hcenvirons posted:

Keep in mind that if you fire a weapon from the left or right arm you're unable to use it to punch.
Technically you're unable to use any limb in close combat if a weapon fired from it that turn.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Yup, and some 'Mechs do have (stupid as it is) leg-mounted weapons.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Helter Skelter posted:

Another Defiance Industires innovation!

Hey, between the legs is a totally legit place to put a pair of phased array radomes! The location provides protection, while the enhanced radar systems provide a sharp increase in pilot confidence and aggression.

(Please note that your MechNut brand radar system integration may result in erratic control system behavior up to and including total shutdown in the event of radome damage.)

This is a message from the Earthwerks Corporation.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm lookin' at you, boyo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's just a Stinger with poo poo bolted on, who're you trying to kid? :colbert:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Helter Skelter posted:

Another Defiance Industires innovation!

Needs to be on a Mackie for the full effect.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

hcenvirons posted:

Yes...But I'm kicking the tank.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah but if you punch you can hit it twice! And the dice can't ruin your day!

You have no idea how many MegaMek scenarios I've had go comically awry thanks to failed kick rolls.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Mary Annette posted:

I'm lookin' at you, boyo.

The Crusader's leg mounted SRMs actually had a niche use. You see, back before Total Warfare, torpedoes and missiles were interchangeable, so you could go into depth 1 water, fire off your leg-mounted torpedoes, and probably end up inflicting a breach or two on some unfortunate sap.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
PTN, guys, sorry I haven't sent moves in. I just spent the better part of twelve hours in a metal tube, being propelled by explosions, 5000 meters off the ground, sandwhiched two offensive sterotypes, both of whihc smelled like herring. I will submit my moves after I talk to my therapist, one Jose Cuvero.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

bunnyofdoom posted:

PTN, guys, sorry I haven't sent moves in. I just spent the better part of twelve hours in a metal tube, being propelled by explosions, 5000 meters off the ground, sandwhiched two offensive sterotypes, both of whihc smelled like herring. I will submit my moves after I talk to my therapist, one Jose Cuvero.

Explosions? Like a pulse jet? Because that would be pretty retro and rad.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Looks like the PTNs secret plan for the Death Commandos is so great it knocked out one of the Space Mexican pilots for 24 hours!

Clearly the radio contact from a few turns ago wasn't calling in an airstrike or artillery, but forum mod support.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Zaodai posted:

Looks like the PTNs secret plan for the Death Commandos is so great it knocked out one of the Space Mexican pilots for 24 hours!

Clearly the radio contact from a few turns ago wasn't calling in an airstrike or artillery, but forum mod support.

Uhoh! Do we call in a pinch hitter? Or is the bedazzled pilot in alternative communications with his 'mech (IE, email) and still capable of radioing in his orders?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think he should partially miss a turn and get lit up by the Zhukov's AC10s. But I'm rooting for the opposing side, so that's not unbiased (or based on rules or anything). I just want to wreck up his fancy plan of standing on top a tank so it cant shoot him ever. =P

In all likelyhood, it won't affect the LP. We don't really get in a turn a day every single day, and he submitted his orders (it seems?) for the upcoming turn already. And if nothing else he can presumably still read the thread if PTN has to post up an alternate form of communications to get his next moves.

(I still vote for the Zhukov to tear his face off though.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
It just can't shoot him.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It makes sense in things like the Viking.

[EDIT]And to keep things going between PTN's posts, what is your favourite Bug Hunter mech and why?

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 18, 2011

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
What is a Bug Hunter mech defined as?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Arquinsiel posted:

And to keep things going between PTN's posts, what is your favourite Bug Hunter mech and why?

A 100-ton assault laden with full armor and vast quantities of weaponry that can kill or cripple in one hit.

Why? that's my favourite anything-hunter 'Mech.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Dominus Caedis posted:

What is a Bug Hunter mech defined as?

Bug Hunters are intended to stop/kill Bug mechs - ie a hunter-killer mech intended to wipe out fast, light recon units like the Stinger or Locust.

On that note, in 3025? No debate. Either the Jenner or the Mongoose. Nothing does it better.

Past that? The Tarntula, the Scarabus, the Venom. The MON-76 is a nasty one, too. I've got a soft spot for the Battle Hawk, even if it really is too slow.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I dunno why, but I find something just incredibly boring about 100 tonners. Taking the biggest chassis possible and covering it with armor and weapons just comes off as bland.

Unless its doing something incredibly silly like the Berzerker.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

[EDIT]And to keep things going between PTN's posts, what is your favourite Bug Hunter mech and why?

This is an easy one. The Grasshopper.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Unless its doing something incredibly sillyawesome like the Berzerker.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is an easy one. The Grasshopper.
I did say "and why" but I think the grasshopper sort of speaks for itself.

Personally I'm a huge fan of the Phoenix Hawk. There's a lot of gun and a lot of speed on a chassis big enough to take what the Bugs can give and beat the hell out of them with their own legs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

I did say "and why"

Because it's the Grasshopper. Killing things smaller than it is its intended purpose. You don't go hunting an Atlas with a grasshopper, you use it as an area-denial tool to keep things that can't take an LRM 5 from flanking your Atlas. On a single mapsheet, there is nowhere a bug 'Mech can run from a Grasshopper except 'off the board'.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I did also let you have a free pass on that one :p

Personally I find the LRM to be the least useful weapon on the Grasshopper, given that the LRM 5 will rarely land more than three damage onto any location. the Large Laser is the primary hole-puncher, dealing crits from the first hit. The later versions of the Grasshopper I would actually consider using against assault mechs, especially the LPPC/Snubbie combo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

I did also let you have a free pass on that one :p

Personally I find the LRM to be the least useful weapon on the Grasshopper, given that the LRM 5 will rarely land more than three damage onto any location. the Large Laser is the primary hole-puncher, dealing crits from the first hit. The later versions of the Grasshopper I would actually consider using against assault mechs, especially the LPPC/Snubbie combo.

If the LRM5 were intended to be an actual weapon, I'd agree. But it's not. The LRM5 is a threat and an annoyance. It's there to force the Bug Mechs to close to medium laser range (they can't fight back at LRM ranges, period, so if they try to hump the hills the Grasshopper will eventually kill them).

It's also there to trick heavier designs into focusing on the max-armor grasshopper rather than some other unit. You fire it every turn, whether it does anything or not... you've got the ammo for it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Out of curiosity, did we solve the issue regarding orders for next turn? I'm very interested in seeing how the Death Commandos manage now that their commander has been shot out of his mech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zeroisanumber posted:

Out of curiosity, did we solve the issue regarding orders for next turn? I'm very interested in seeing how the Death Commandos manage now that their commander has been shot out of his mech.

He hasn't.

And I'm still waiting on someone's orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

If the LRM5 were intended to be an actual weapon, I'd agree. But it's not. The LRM5 is a threat and an annoyance. It's there to force the Bug Mechs to close to medium laser range (they can't fight back at LRM ranges, period, so if they try to hump the hills the Grasshopper will eventually kill them).

It's also there to trick heavier designs into focusing on the max-armor grasshopper rather than some other unit. You fire it every turn, whether it does anything or not... you've got the ammo for it.
Eh... I dunno if anyone I play with would fall for that, barring one guy who's a bit slow. Most of us don't worry about LRM5s since they're just a tiny amount of damage in one location.

Heck, over the last few years I've noticed LRMs to be singularly useless in most situations, despite the huge amount of absoltue damage they put out.

• Locked thread