Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Nothing like realizing you wrote a brief on the wrong issue, using the wrong cases, 3 hours before said brief is due. Good thing legal writing is a graded course here!! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I'm more familiar with Canadian copyright, so this is more from a quick statute dive than any detailed research of case law, but:

entris posted:

Ok intellectual property peoples, here is a hypo:

If a charitable organization arranges for free, open-to-the-public musical or other artistic performances, who gets the property right for the performance? IE, does the organization automatically own the property rights to the performance, or do the individual actors/musicians? If the organization makes a videotape of the performance to put on its website, is that cool?

I'd argue that concerts count as collective works, so the individual performers would own the copyright to their contributions (as in, their sets), and the copyright to the concert as a whole would rest in the organisation - the organisation would only have the right to distribute the individual performances as part of reproductions of the entire concert. (see 17 USC 201(c)) So yes, they would be able to put video of the concert on their website.

In practice,

quote:

What if there is a contract between the organization and the performers, does that control the property rights?

This tends to happen, and those contracts will control since copyrights are fully alienable.

quote:

What happens if the organization wants to put on a free, open-to-the-public presentation of some news or sporting event - say, throwing up the Super Bowl on a big screen in a park. Does the organization have to get permission from the NFL, or the local cable provider, to do that?

It would be the NFL's permission you would need, I believe, but I'm less sure about this.

edit: new page

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 17, 2011

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005
In Wisconsin right now we have this huge issue with a proposed bill that will affect state workers. The Republicans have the votes to pass the bill, and the vote was supposed to be today. However, the Republicans in the Senate need at least one Democrat to be there in order to have a quorum or they can't vote. Unfortunately for them, all the Democratic Senators have left the state, so no vote today. Hilarious.

As a state worker I'm not for this bill, but really, I'm tired of arguing with people so I wish it would just be over already so we can move on and deal with whatever happens.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

quepasa18 posted:

In Wisconsin right now we have this huge issue with a proposed bill that will affect state workers. The Republicans have the votes to pass the bill, and the vote was supposed to be today. However, the Republicans in the Senate need at least one Democrat to be there in order to have a quorum or they can't vote. Unfortunately for them, all the Democratic Senators have left the state, so no vote today. Hilarious.

Haha, it's like the DeLay redistricting of Texas last decade. Dems fled the state to deny a quorum, but one had medical problems and was forced to return. IIRC, Texas tried to get federal investigators to track their legislature down.

Also, tams at CLS, and I for one cannot wait to wear The Funny Hat.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Haha, it's like the DeLay redistricting of Texas last decade. Dems fled the state to deny a quorum, but one had medical problems and was forced to return. IIRC, Texas tried to get federal investigators to track their legislature down.

Haha yeah I remember seeing those at commencement.

I think mortarboards at YLS...two and a half years to set that straight.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010

MechaFrogzilla posted:

I remember that. They split the Democratic reps into two groups, and had them flee the state in the dead of night on charter buses, with the Republicans threatening to call out the National Guard and the Texas Rangers to bring them back. Also, someone dressed up in a chicken suit on the floor of the Texas House.

My TTT had tams and hoods. When you went up to receive your diploma, you stopped and somebody turned your hood around to show you were a JD. What I mostly remember was that it was 90 with 90% humidity that day, and people were drowning in all that velveteen.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

HiddenReplaced posted:

This is my Victory day.

we celebratin'

EDIT: I got a job today! Flyover USAO.

Prussian posted:

the only kind imo

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Sulecrist posted:

we celebratin'

EDIT: I got a job today! Flyover USAO.

Congrats man, that's huge!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Linguica posted:

You remember incorrectly, there were quite a few people at last year's graduation wearing tams. (I didn't, I think they look ridiculous)

Perhaps some were wearing tams. My recollection is that the vast bulk wore mortarboards. Again though, this was 10 plus years ago.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Warszawa, what's this Rebel Law thing going on at Yale? Apparently some Gulc kids are carpooling up to attend?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Direwolf posted:

Nothing like realizing you wrote a brief on the wrong issue, using the wrong cases, 3 hours before said brief is due. Good thing legal writing is a graded course here!! :suicide:

At least it wasn't for a real life client

At my graduation we had two people who were ex-military, so they wore full-on dress uniforms to graduation. One of them even had a sword!

There's no way to describe that without sounding like a 5 year old but that's what happened

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

entris posted:

The Warszawa, what's this Rebel Law thing going on at Yale? Apparently some Gulc kids are carpooling up to attend?

Some Cornell students as well.

Apparently it's the "big lefty law conference" as I've heard it called. All the anti-establishment groups, the left-wing groups, and a bunch of people who "question the very foundations of everything"

:tinfoil:

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I am graduating from UC Santa Cruz in a few weeks and I already applied to law school. I am not going to get into a top law school, so I have been thinking of maybe going to Europe and getting a basically free Masters degree. I already spent a year abroad in Germany and I liked it there. I think with a masters degree I can reapply to law school at a later date and probably get into a better law school.

I think it may not be a bad life choice. It comes down to this:

PROS
-Get a masters (For free!)
-Use the masters to get into a better law school.

CONS
-Spend 2 years away from home (Don't really mind this)
-Get a masters which I don't really want.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Enigma89 posted:

I am graduating from UC Santa Cruz in a few weeks and I already applied to law school. I am not going to get into a top law school, so I have been thinking of maybe going to Europe and getting a basically free Masters degree. I already spent a year abroad in Germany and I liked it there. I think with a masters degree I can reapply to law school at a later date and probably get into a better law school.

I think it may not be a bad life choice. It comes down to this:

PROS

CONS

Ughhhhhh good job ignoring something I thought this thread makes very clear. The boost from the extra degree will be minuscule and only help you against people with numbers very close to yours at schools at which you were already borderline. The only thing you can do to significantly help you get into a better law school besides maybe joining the military, joining the Peace Corps, or accomplishing something unusually significant, is seriously preparing to take the LSAT again and doing better on it.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

MoFauxHawk posted:

Ughhhhhh good job ignoring something I thought this thread makes very clear. The boost from the extra degree will be minuscule and only help you against people with numbers very close to yours at schools at which you were already borderline. The only thing you can do to significantly help you get into a better law school besides maybe joining the military, joining the Peace Corps, or accomplishing something unusually significant, is seriously preparing to take the LSAT again and doing better on it.

Oh I am sorry for the repeat. I did a search for graduate school in the OP and it only came up once and it didn't answer my question. Sorry about that.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Okay I'll bite.

Enigma89 posted:

Do you like being a student? Then this is awesome. And in Europe no less. Even more awesome. Don't have a job? Then do this.

quote:

This doesn't work. Get a better LSAT. Your GPA is what it is unless if you don't graduate and boost your GPA. Your masters is nothing re: law school apps.

quote:

CONS
gently caress yeah Europe is awesome. Go live there and enjoy life.

quote:

Resume filler. Who cares. It's an excuse to go live in Europe and be a student and love loving life. Contrast with a law student. The highlight of my day is reading a loving KOTOR2 Let's Play between reading about vested remainders subject to divestment and when to use the parol evidence rule.

I mean I like this poo poo but my god I realize how sad it is compared to living in loving Europe as a god drat masters student.

Also do you know what a lawyer does? see: OP.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

gvibes posted:

For like a year I was being fed office actions in applications I had never seen before with budgets from 4-6 hours to draft a response. It was brutal.

No wonder you hate patent prosecution so much.

So here's my trip report after 3 weeks doing patent prosecution at mid-sized IP boutique (70ish attorneys), after coming from a small patent prosecution firm (10 attorneys):

I expected a rude awakening coming from a small "lifestyle" firm, where the bigger firm would be filled with rear end in a top hat partners and I'd be working crazy hours. So far the new job has been anything but.

I am expected to bill 1850 a year, and in return I get paid slightly under NYC starting salary as a second year associate - there is opportunity for advancement, though increases are not lockstep. I have approximately 40 hours to prepare a first draft of each patent application if I want to stay within budget - in my three weeks here I've been able to turn out a draft every 2.5 days or so. I have no reason to expect I won't easily be able to hit this target and still take a 2 week honeymoon. Office action responses are expected to take about 8 hours, but we also do litigation for the client the bulk of my prosecution is for, so it's a bit of a loss leader - it's not the end of the world to go overbudget on those responses.

The partner I do most of my work with is awesome. The hours are reasonable; I generally work from 9:00-6:30 most days, some days staying a bit later. The other associates seem generally happy. There is plenty of work to go around, and our clients wish we had more bandwidth so they could send us more (hence the reason I was hired).

I am content. The law school I graduated from is ranked in somewhere from 60 to 80. I am not sure what good works I did in a previous life to luck into this situation, but they must have been awesome. I have no regrets about leaving the other firm, and my salary has dramatically increased as a result of the move. The medical benefits are superior as well. Life is good.

The firm is also hiring for the same practice group I'm in. If any of you have a couple years of experience prosecuting computer science/business methods patents I'll be happy to forward your resume for a chance at a sweet sweet referral bonus.

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 18, 2011

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Green Crayons posted:

Okay I'll bite.
Do you like being a student? Then this is awesome. And in Europe no less. Even more awesome. Don't have a job? Then do this.
This doesn't work. Get a better LSAT. Your GPA is what it is unless if you don't graduate and boost your GPA. Your masters is nothing re: law school apps.
gently caress yeah Europe is awesome. Go live there and enjoy life.
Resume filler. Who cares. It's an excuse to go live in Europe and be a student and love loving life. Contrast with a law student. The highlight of my day is reading a loving KOTOR2 Let's Play between reading about vested remainders subject to divestment and when to use the parol evidence rule.

I mean I like this poo poo but my god I realize how sad it is compared to living in loving Europe as a god drat masters student.

Also do you know what a lawyer does? see: OP.

Alright well if its all resume filler, but then that may be the case which may help me out. I am graduating in three weeks and have been applying to jobs like crazy and I can't get a call back anywhere. I think trying to hide out and dodge the recession for 2 years wouldn't be a bad idea. Plus, I am *HOPING* that a masters may turn a few heads when people see it on my resume when I apply for a job.

I think having a masters may put me in a better position than I am currently in now with my little bachelors.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Yeah, the OP probably should make it clearer that it's only your undergrad GPA that counts.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Enigma89 posted:

Alright well if its all resume filler, but then that may be the case which may help me out. I am graduating in three weeks and have been applying to jobs like crazy and I can't get a call back anywhere. I think trying to hide out and dodge the recession for 2 years wouldn't be a bad idea. Plus, I am *HOPING* that a masters may turn a few heads when people see it on my resume when I apply for a job.

I think having a masters may put me in a better position than I am currently in now with my little bachelors.

The answer is obvious - go to Europe, get your MA/MS, don't go to law school.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

NJ Deac posted:

No wonder you hate patent prosecution so much.

So here's my trip report after 3 weeks doing patent prosecution at mid-sized IP boutique (70ish attorneys), after coming from a small patent prosecution firm (10 attorneys):

I expected a rude awakening coming from a small "lifestyle" firm, where the bigger firm would be filled with rear end in a top hat partners and I'd be working crazy hours. So far the new job has been anything but.

I am expected to bill 1850 a year, and in return I get paid slightly under NYC starting salary as a second year associate - there is opportunity for advancement, though increases are not lockstep. I have approximately 40 hours to prepare a first draft of each patent application if I want to stay within budget - in my three weeks here I've been able to turn out a draft every 2.5 days or so. I have no reason to expect I won't easily be able to hit this target and still take a 2 week honeymoon. Office action responses are expected to take about 8 hours, but we also do litigation for the client the bulk of my prosecution is for, so it's a bit of a loss leader - it's not the end of the world to go overbudget on those responses.

The partner I do most of my work with is awesome. The hours are reasonable; I generally work from 9:00-6:30 most days, some days staying a bit later. The other associates seem generally happy. There is plenty of work to go around, and our clients wish we had more bandwidth so they could send us more (hence the reason I was hired).

I am content. The law school I graduated from is ranked in somewhere from 60 to 80. I am not sure what good works I did in a previous life to luck into this situation, but they must have been awesome. I have no regrets about leaving the other firm, and my salary has dramatically increased as a result of the move. The medical benefits are superior as well. Life is good.

The firm is also hiring for the same practice group I'm in. If any of you have a couple years of experience prosecuting computer science/business methods patents I'll be happy to forward your resume for a chance at a sweet sweet referral bonus.

Where's the firm and would they hire someone with three years as an examiner?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Green Crayons posted:

The highlight of my day is reading a loving KOTOR2 Let's Play between reading about vested remainders subject to divestment and when to use the parol evidence rule.

Is this Scorchy's? Because that LP owns.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

There are a couple examiners from my building's book club. One is in academy, the other is hotelling.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Lilosh posted:

Some Cornell students as well.

Apparently it's the "big lefty law conference" as I've heard it called. All the anti-establishment groups, the left-wing groups, and a bunch of people who "question the very foundations of everything"

:tinfoil:

There's also one Duke student and one Columbia student going.

It's me, I'm the Duke student.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

New Jersey, and I'm not sure - would depend how well you can write a patent application. I would imagine experience writing office actions probably translates reasonably well, but I can't say for sure what the hiring committee would think.

On the one hand, according to some of the other assocaites who have been here longer than me, they've been having a hard time finding qualified applicants - the big client in question actually likes to see CS majors over EEs, which I'd never heard of before. On the other hand, they also want associates who have some experience so they can start from day one.

They placed a lot of emphasis on my writing sample during my interview process (wanted to see a software patent application I'd written) - they wanted to make sure whoever they hired wouldn't need a lot of training time to write a solid patent application.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
hey guys I posted about this awhile ago but it's finally live http://burgermap.org please contribute every little bit helps god bless

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Petey posted:

hey guys I posted about this awhile ago but it's finally live http://burgermap.org please contribute every little bit helps god bless

brb busy entering every single five guys in existence into here

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

evilweasel posted:

Can you not READ the loving PAGE, JESUS CHRIST

quote:

Ground rules: No chains! We don't need BurgerMap to find a BK, McDonalds, or for that matter a Five Guys or In N Out.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

prussian advisor posted:

Is this Scorchy's? Because that LP owns.
Yes and I don't want it to end.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

This is my Victory day.
Congratulations on getting the goofy hat you're going to wear for 2 hours changed into a slightly different even goofier hat you're going to wear for 2 hours

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Green Crayons posted:

Yes and I don't want it to end.

Check out supergreatfriend's Deadly Premonition LP--probably the best one going on in the subforum in my opinion :)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

evilweasel posted:

nooo the dream is collapsing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Chakron posted:

The answer is obvious - go to Europe, get your MA/MS, don't go to law school.

This was the first thing I thought of.

On HooKars: I always imagined it as "Earth man! Bring me eight of your finest 'hoo-kars' to 'service' me, as your kind say!"

On the hat: Mortarboards at the University of South Dakota, though we may have been free to wear tams if we wanted. I think everyone just rented their caps and gowns, though, and those all have mortarboards. The Associate Dean wore a hard tam, though, which I'd never seen before. I hardly saw anybody with a tam anywhere at the ceremony, though. I think anybody I did see with one was either faculty/a Dean or the President of the university.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Petey posted:

nooo the dream is collapsing

woot I was gonna say mcdonalds but I figured that would be too obvious

good to see you already got Bartley's on there

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Petey posted:

Submit that to A Hamburger Today if you haven't already - http://aht.seriouseats.com/

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Green Crayons posted:

The highlight of my day is reading a loving KOTOR2 Let's Play between reading about vested remainders subject to divestment and when to use the parol evidence rule.

KOTOR2 is loving awesome, just get the Restored Content Mod and rock that bitch. See: my first semester finals period.

Also, RebLaw is a "rebellious lawyer conference" of some sort. If anyone here is going, PM me if you want to meet up.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
So I'm signed up to take the New York bar, and already have the BarBri account ready to go. I'm looking to take the course outside of NYC. I could study for the New York bar in Boston. I lived there for a long time, and would like to spend a summer up there; I figure we're just watching the videos anyway, so what difference does it make (besides saving a couple thousand dollars) to spend a few months studying for the NY bar in Boston instead of NY?

Are there any downsides to a plan like this?

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

The Warszawa posted:

Also, RebLaw is a "rebellious lawyer conference" of some sort. If anyone here is going, PM me if you want to meet up.

Aw RebLaw. One of my best friends basically runs the thing out of NYC. It's a good chance for all the different NLG groups to come together, along with various other public interest-y groups that want would go to protests to act as legal observers.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

qwertyman posted:

Are there any downsides to a plan like this?
Not really, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Unless you wanna spend forty dollars on a single meal, the best burgers around Columbia are from Checkers (125 and broadway).