Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

schmuckfeatures posted:

gently caress yeah! It's interesting to see that that all worked. Hopefully a few other vendors take notice and do something similar. At some point, companies are going to make more money selling software for lower prices than they are for charging thousands and thousands of dollars for a license.

It doesnt work like that. 3d software is already cheap as gently caress and selling for $40 a license is not sustainable business model.

Dont mistake what PMG did for anything other than a emergency measure to increase their userbase and hope that at least some of those new license holders upgrade to the next version at full upgrade price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

keyframe posted:

It doesnt work like that. 3d software is already cheap as gently caress and selling for $40 a license is not sustainable business model.

Dont mistake what PMG did for anything other than a emergency measure to increase their userbase and hope that at least some of those new license holders upgrade to the next version at full upgrade price.

To some extent, though, the amount charged for software is arbitrary on some level. For instance, why does Boujou cost $10,000 and offer less functionality than Syntheyes, which costs only $500?

I'm not imagining that $40 for Project Messiah Studio is a sustainable price, but let's use another example. Last year I bought Adobe Creative Suite 5 for AUD$4300, but I know several people who balked at that price and chose to pirate the software instead (though I definitely don't condone that at all). Wouldn't it have made more sense for Adobe to sell it at a more reasonable price, thus making at least some money off these other guys rather than none at all?

There's probably a "how long is a piece of string" element to this all, but I think my point is still probably valid.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I think the reason is they don't really care too much about individual owners. They jack up the price for when the application gets popular and a studio has to buy like 50 licenses.

I'm sure they make more money off of bulk licenses than they do individuals.

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer
Hey gang,
I've started using vray for maya... and I must say its the bomb! I was pretty much at my wits end using mental ray on job after job and having to hack it to pieces. i can seriously see it becoming the standard for animation within the next couple years. cant believe you arch vis guys have had it so good!

that being said I've got a scene that I cant seem to get to render. when I send it to mayabatch over smedge i get this at the end of my log;

quote:

[2011/Feb/18|16:10:39] V-Ray: Prefiltering light cache...
[2011/Feb/18|16:10:39] V-Ray debug: Rendering image.
[2011/Feb/18|16:10:39] V-Ray: Rendering image...
[2011/Feb/18|16:10:39] V-Ray debug: Setting up 2 thread(s)
[2011/Feb/18|16:15:46] V-Ray error: Exception [module=1] : Rendering region (864,448)-(896,480)
Error: Exception [module=1] : Rendering region (864,448)-(896,480)
Result:
it then quits and tries again
Any vray gurus had anything like this before (cubicle im lookin at you)? I have a feeling its some memory issue but ive fiddled with it a bunch with no success.

I also tried exporting it out to a .vrscene and using the standalone, but that doesnt even get past building the light cache. i get an appcrash with a fault in vray_TexMax.dll

any ideas?

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

Kirby posted:

any ideas?

I've had a few occasions where I've gotten around VRay crashes by reducing the size of my textures and/or the polycount of the model. I remember one shot where I had a number of particle systems creating a bunch of leaves in Max and it simply refused to render. I ended up giving up and rendering it as default scanline -- this was a good four years ago though, so maybe it woulda been OK on a newer machine.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Is that region it's having trouble with the coordinates of a bucket?

Is there any way to screenshot the viewport, scale it to the rendered image size and figure out what part of the image that bucket is trying torender? It might be a bad material or something - I know if you use raytrace materials in max vray usually implodes, there might be a maya specific issue.

Do some tests, and various combinations of these:
Turn off gi/reflections/displacement
apply a flat white mat to everything
check if it works locally or just dies over network
Remove any heavy/imported objects.

Work your way through that with a load of saving as and it should be pretty easy to narrow down whats causing it.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Is vray for maya faster than mentral ray for maya? I'm looking for a new renderer for my characters so I'll be using SSS a bit.

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer

cubicle gangster posted:

Is that region it's having trouble with the coordinates of a bucket?

Is there any way to screenshot the viewport, scale it to the rendered image size and figure out what part of the image that bucket is trying torender? It might be a bad material or something - I know if you use raytrace materials in max vray usually implodes, there might be a maya specific issue.

Do some tests, and various combinations of these:
Turn off gi/reflections/displacement
apply a flat white mat to everything
check if it works locally or just dies over network
Remove any heavy/imported objects.

Work your way through that with a load of saving as and it should be pretty easy to narrow down whats causing it.

i've changed up the bucket order, and decreased the size, but it doesnt really matter. it seems to get a couple buckets in then fails.

the whole scene is pretty much vrayMtl's (might be a double sided and blend in there), so i dont think that would be the problem?

I've pretty much set it up the Nederhorst way when test rendering, except setting the anti-aliasing option to fixed with 1 sample. It seems to be once i change it to DMC it errors, but as I understand, its pretty much the most efficient way?

I'll run through a few more tests, maybe even chuck a proxy in there instead :) (the scene is pretty much a car on a cyc with a buncha lights btw)

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/200R1/troubleshooting.htm#ram - found this if anyone has similar problems. Deleting unused UV's actually helped a little for me!

Kirby fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 18, 2011

Lurian
May 25, 2010
Finished up my Mushroom/Dude render for Animation 2 class. Was fun and learned a lot, but still don't know nearly enough.

Lurian fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 18, 2011

Jewel
May 2, 2009

What's the best way to match lighting from a video/picture in a 3D scene? I want to try my hand at motion tracking a simple object in a video I shoot, but I don't know the best way to match the lighting. Using C4D but I'd guess it would be the same in every program.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Match up the contrast in both R, G, and B channels on both your footage and the 3d object. Once that is done you can do a final color correction to further blend them together. It also helps to match noise and add motion blur on your 3D object.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

ceebee posted:

Match up the contrast in both R, G, and B channels on both your footage and the 3d object. Once that is done you can do a final color correction to further blend them together. It also helps to match noise and add motion blur on your 3D object.

But not just color, I mean like, multiple lights and lighting angles and all that stuff, not just outdoor lighting. Although thanks for those few tips.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
Lighting-wise, I usually look at the shadows and reflections on all the real objects in the scene and then position the CG lights so that they're casting their rays in the same direction. Also I make sure the brightness matches closely enough, and that the shadows match in terms of their RGB values and the softness of their edges. Matching colour is another thing to do but you can often fake that in your composite, assuming they're all of the same hue.

Anyways. I'm still working on that little short film of mine. Here's a tank I'm in the middle of texturing up, from the old Espona 3d models library. I had to remodel a lot of the turret since it was extremely low-poly and the topology was, frankly, shithouse. The treads, wheels and bogeys aren't done yet, but everything else is getting close-ish.

Here's how it looked originally for comparison.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Wip of a futuristic hallway i'm doing for my portfolio.

Lowpoly and normals done, I'm onto the texturing stage now I guess.

C&C welcome!

Click here for the full 1312x829 image.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

Odddzy posted:

C&C welcome!

It's not really related to your render, but does anyone know why 'scifi corridor' means angled walls? Typically, hexagonal sections with mesh flooring. Seems like you'd be wasting a lot of space that could be better used for reinforcing the walls, service ducts, or even enlarging rooms/the parts of the corridor you can use. In Aliens and the like, they at least were aiming for 'unfinished and on the cheap'.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

Odddzy posted:

C&C welcome!

Looking pretty good! I'm definitely noticing how low-poly the mesh is around the ceiling, though.

What sort of output format are you aiming for with your final renders? Maybe you can get away with it if it's not too large. I've been thinking lately that I can get away with low-poly stuff for that personal project of mine since I'm doing a standard def online with the stuff I've posted in this thread, and there are basically no closeups.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

schmuckfeatures posted:

Looking pretty good! I'm definitely noticing how low-poly the mesh is around the ceiling, though.

What sort of output format are you aiming for with your final renders? Maybe you can get away with it if it's not too large. I've been thinking lately that I can get away with low-poly stuff for that personal project of mine since I'm doing a standard def online with the stuff I've posted in this thread, and there are basically no closeups.

It's going to be a level inside Unity, all you see is realtime right now so the size is pretty much the resolution of your monitor. :)

Mazdrol
Nov 11, 2008

Lurian posted:

Finished up my Mushroom/Dude render for Animation 2 class. Was fun and learned a lot, but still don't know nearly enough.

Cool. I like your little dude with the top hat. The texture on the top of the mushroom looks a little low res though, and maybe stretched horizontally. There's some sort of high frequency bump or pixelation on your grass blades that needs to be removed. The ambient occlusion at the base of the mushroom and below your guy looks a little strong, I would consider reducing it significantly. Is this a frame from an animation?

I've got a couple recent things I made for class done:

Spent forever in ZBrush on this one sculpting the surface. I would still be working on it if I hadn't discovered the radial symmetry option for the brush. Rendered in Maya using Renderman.

This is just a shader demo for a Rendering & Shading course I'm currently taking. It's an RSL shader for a brushed steel material using bump mapping and anisotropic specular highlights. I had a bugger of a time getting the anisotropic highlights to radiate properly across the spherical brushed patterns.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nullkigan posted:

It's not really related to your render, but does anyone know why 'scifi corridor' means angled walls? Typically, hexagonal sections with mesh flooring. Seems like you'd be wasting a lot of space that could be better used for reinforcing the walls, service ducts, or even enlarging rooms/the parts of the corridor you can use. In Aliens and the like, they at least were aiming for 'unfinished and on the cheap'.

Because hexagonal, or honeycomb, is better used for modular and stackable sections. Just straight cubes don't work as well.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

BonoMan posted:

Because hexagonal, or honeycomb, is better used for modular and stackable sections. Just straight cubes don't work as well.

Also, the aliens kind of Sci-fi corridor has a LOT of detail that requires a much bigger tricount, I would give that as a good reason too.

Lurian
May 25, 2010

Mazdrol posted:

Cool. I like your little dude with the top hat. The texture on the top of the mushroom looks a little low res though, and maybe stretched horizontally. There's some sort of high frequency bump or pixelation on your grass blades that needs to be removed. The ambient occlusion at the base of the mushroom and below your guy looks a little strong, I would consider reducing it significantly. Is this a frame from an animation?

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Currently it's just a single frame, however it will be animated as I already have him, the Mushrooms and grass rigged.

I know nothing about zBrush and should really look into it; people are making amazing stuff with it.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Mazdrol posted:

I've got a couple recent things I made for class done:

Spent forever in ZBrush on this one sculpting the surface. I would still be working on it if I hadn't discovered the radial symmetry option for the brush. Rendered in Maya using Renderman.

Looks good, although I'd use a FFD lattice to squeeze the body down a little bit. Pineapples aren't ovoids, they're rounded cylinders (which is why it's easy to make pineapple rings!)

Something more like this (I did this for a class assignment a long time ago - displacements + specular + diffuse maps from photographs):

Mazdrol
Nov 11, 2008

Goreld posted:

Looks good, although I'd use a FFD lattice to squeeze the body down a little bit. Pineapples aren't ovoids, they're rounded cylinders (which is why it's easy to make pineapple rings!)

Something more like this (I did this for a class assignment a long time ago - displacements + specular + diffuse maps from photographs):

Thanks for the tip. I think though that the pineapple I was using for reference was somewhere between the shape I have for my pineapple and the ones you are showing in that render.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What's the best method for emulating a metaball effect? I just need two spheres that need to "melt" into each other. I've tried the Moonshine plugin, but it just won't work.

Any other ideas?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

BonoMan posted:

What's the best method for emulating a metaball effect? I just need two spheres that need to "melt" into each other. I've tried the Moonshine plugin, but it just won't work.

Any other ideas?

What software are you using?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Travakian posted:

What software are you using?

Doh! Maya 2008

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
You can do it with particles, you just set the particles to Blobby in the attribute settings and adjust those. Once rendered it'll look like they're melting together depending on how close/far apart they are.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Does anyone have any good recommendations for current game art workflow tutorials in Maya? Specifically high to low-poly normal baking, game-oriented unwrapping/UVing, stuff like that? I've been going through the links in the OP like a good person should, but having little success finding quality, relevant information.

For background, I work at a startup simulation(think industrial, not entertainment) company and our main art guy bailed recently. I've been reassigned to pick up what he left. I've been a Max user since back in the Kinetix days, but have mostly been doing non-art related things for the past couple years. I haven't touched Maya since college and remember nothing about it, let alone modern work guidelines. Preference for free over pay, but either is fine. Free just means I don't have to go through purchase requests and all that annoyance.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Currently working on a little project here, just modelling my camera lens. Reference

Does anyone know how to get the multi-coated effect that you get on camera lenses like this right here? This is way beyond my materials experience so I need a little push in the right direction.

EDIT: OH GOD TABLES

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 23, 2011

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Currently working on a little project here, just modelling my camera lens.

Does anyone know how to get the multi-coated effect that you get on camera lenses like this right here? This is way beyond my materials experience so I need a little push in the right direction.

EDIT: OH GOD TABLES

It's been a while since I've worked in shaders/3D (:(), but my initial gut reaction is to check out some templates for XRay shaders and their use of the facing ration node. I think that should be a good foundation.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

ceebee posted:

I think the reason is they don't really care too much about individual owners. They jack up the price for when the application gets popular and a studio has to buy like 50 licenses.

I'm sure they make more money off of bulk licenses than they do individuals.

Indeed, the real money is in the support contracts.

I remember back in the alias|wavefront days, Alias wanted $20,000-30,000 for a dude to come over for 2-3 days to teach our studio how to use maya [we were an all houdini shop]. This was back in 01-02 timeframe.

:doh:

Company saved money by having myself and another td teach a course instead. :)

Of course this was back when maya's basic version was $8000 and unlimited was $14,000.

The real problem with gaining marketshare is that the big packages are already too well entrenched.

It's not enough to have a program be $50, or to be 10% better than a major package to gain market share. It has to be 50-100% better than an existing workflow in order to get people to think of adopting the tool, let alone switching to it outright.

Last time that happened on a large scale was when Maya 1.0/1.5 came out and Softimage kept pushing back XSI's release. It costed SI almost all of the high end marketshare.

Not to mention the politics of getting a studio to adopt a new package, that only happens when there's a major shake up or take over at a facility.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I don't really know how to describe this. You have to watch it for yourself.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

What in the world.. This is amazing, yet indescribable to anybody you know at the same time. Everyone needs to watch this.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Tw1tchy posted:

What in the world.. This is amazing, yet indescribable to anybody you know at the same time. Everyone needs to watch this.

it says right in the description "A boy learns to play piano" and that seems really apt to me.

Definitely worth watching.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

sigma 6 posted:

I recommend his other films as well, they're all equally interesting. "Please Say Something" is particularly potent and surprisingly emotional.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
David OReilly is probably the most important independent animator working right now, IMO.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I want his babies.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

mutata posted:

I recommend his other films as well, they're all equally interesting. "Please Say Something" is particularly potent and surprisingly emotional.

I had seen that one but this new one resonated a lot more with me.

This stuff makes me miss "Res" magazine and "Resfest".

http://www.res.com/
http://www.resfest.com/

I don't know of anything out there which promoted this kind of indie digital stuff as well. Too bad Res and Resfest have both been gone for years.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

DefMech posted:

David OReilly is probably the most important independent animator working right now, IMO.

What does "important" mean here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

wayfinder posted:

What does "important" mean here?

The whole short seems a bit forced to me. I can dig that he's got a good sense of movement, and he definitely has a distinctive style, but the whole thing doesn't seem to have much to sustain itself other than contrived randomness coupled with tired gross-out humour.

This isn't Cinema Discusso though so I'll shut up.