Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Has anyone here played a Dumble amp? There was a thread on this guy's amps in Talkbass and I got curious. Apparently there are only about 200 in existence and you can't get a used one without shelling out close to $30,000 for it.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any clips of them being used in a musical context I like. This was the closest I could get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp054XcLQ-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Y3lHpKXWY

Also, I wanted an excuse to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTyQ786w2wU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1qCczGgSxw

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
They're sort of the holy grail for old fart message board dadrockers who took up guitar as their midlife crisis hobby instead of restoring a Shelby Cobra, went through Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan's equipment lists and bought two of everything.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
That is easily the most apt and concise description of the Dumble phenomenon that I have ever heard.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Anyone have anything to say about the VOX hybrid amps?

The place I rehearse sometimes has mostly valvetronix amps and they're abysmal at band volumes.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

TyChan posted:

Has anyone here played a Dumble amp? There was a thread on this guy's amps in Talkbass and I got curious. Apparently there are only about 200 in existence and you can't get a used one without shelling out close to $30,000 for it.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any clips of them being used in a musical context I like. This was the closest I could get:

You'll probably never find someone here that's played an original, but there are a few companies out there that make clones. Two Rock, Fuchs, and Ceriatone are some of the popular one.
John Mayer uses Two Rock amps, so if you want to hear the Dumble sound "in musical context" listen to some of his live stuff.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

cheap sunglasses posted:

They're sort of the holy grail for old fart message board dadrockers who took up guitar as their midlife crisis hobby instead of restoring a Shelby Cobra, went through Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan's equipment lists and bought two of everything.

This describes the denizens of http://www.thegearpage.net/board/ to a T. Play me them upper-middle-class, middle-age blues.

Clogproof Orifice
Apr 2, 2001
Like stee, moanin' ludlow!
Alright, my fine fellow musicians! I humbly seek advice in my quest for a new amp.

First, a little background: I play baritone guitar in the following tunings mainly: BEADF#B, AEADF#B, F#EADF#B, EEADF#B. As you can imagine, it's bassy and glorious as gently caress! When I play live, I want to have a similar sound to such bands as Neurosis, Yob, and QOTSA. Big, commanding, and fuzzy. My previous amp, the Ampeg V4, was great when it came to tone at insane volumes, but it was just too loud and weighed roughly the size of a small elephant.

Here's my question! I'm looking to buy a head/cab that will respond well to my bassy conjurations. I'd like to have nice tube breakage at lower volumes, and I'm not looking to go insanely expensive. My budget is probably somewhere in the range of $1500 or so. In fact, the more obscure the better, although I'm definitely willing to pay for quality.

Even though I've played guitar for a considerable amount of time, I've never really gotten into the whole gear acquisition syndrome deal many of you surely have. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hey, I'm thinking about grabbing a VOX AC30C2 30W amp. What are the odds I can haggle with the folks at Guitar center? Anyone here think I'd have any luck if I showed up with cash and tried to work them down off the list price of $999?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zakalwe posted:

This describes the denizens of http://www.thegearpage.net/board/ to a T. Play me them upper-middle-class, middle-age blues.
Okay. I'll cop to this description. And I'll tell you why. I've been playing "that'll do" amps for decades, starting out on a lovely Crate bass amp as my guitar amp. Now that I finally have the money to get the amp I want, should I continue to play something that I've been holding on to because it's "just like a _______ only cheaper"?

It sucks. I wish I was rich enough when I was in my 20s, but I was too stupid then. The real shame is the ones who'll buy the poo poo and then only rock out in their basement. gently caress that. Buy a great amp and a great guitar and get out and play it.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

magnificent7 posted:

Okay. I'll cop to this description. And I'll tell you why. I've been playing "that'll do" amps for decades, starting out on a lovely Crate bass amp as my guitar amp. Now that I finally have the money to get the amp I want, should I continue to play something that I've been holding on to because it's "just like a _______ only cheaper"?

It sucks. I wish I was rich enough when I was in my 20s, but I was too stupid then. The real shame is the ones who'll buy the poo poo and then only rock out in their basement. gently caress that. Buy a great amp and a great guitar and get out and play it.

The difference is you actually play your guitar, play it live and don't spend all your time obsessing over $50,000 Dumbles and PTP wired limited edition tubescreamers rather than rocking out

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Zakalwe posted:

The difference is you actually play your guitar, play it live and don't spend all your time obsessing over $50,000 Dumbles and PTP wired limited edition tubescreamers rather than rocking out

The really telling factor is the copy you'll see when those guys are selling gear. Lots and lots of "taken out of the box once", "couple of hours use on the tubes" etc etc

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Three Red Lights posted:

The place I rehearse sometimes has mostly valvetronix amps and they're abysmal at band volumes.

I have a AD50VT that I bought as a practice amp. For that purpose, the amp is great. But as an experiment I brought it to band practice once and cranked it, and it was utterly horrifying.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Clogproof Orifice posted:

Alright, my fine fellow musicians! I humbly seek advice in my quest for a new amp.

First, a little background: I play baritone guitar in the following tunings mainly: BEADF#B, AEADF#B, F#EADF#B, EEADF#B. As you can imagine, it's bassy and glorious as gently caress! When I play live, I want to have a similar sound to such bands as Neurosis, Yob, and QOTSA. Big, commanding, and fuzzy. My previous amp, the Ampeg V4, was great when it came to tone at insane volumes, but it was just too loud and weighed roughly the size of a small elephant.

Here's my question! I'm looking to buy a head/cab that will respond well to my bassy conjurations. I'd like to have nice tube breakage at lower volumes, and I'm not looking to go insanely expensive. My budget is probably somewhere in the range of $1500 or so. In fact, the more obscure the better, although I'm definitely willing to pay for quality.

Even though I've played guitar for a considerable amount of time, I've never really gotten into the whole gear acquisition syndrome deal many of you surely have. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I think an Orange Thunderverb would fit the bill nicely, but unless you manage to find one used it would fall outside your price range.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Argali posted:

I have a AD50VT that I bought as a practice amp. For that purpose, the amp is great. But as an experiment I brought it to band practice once and cranked it, and it was utterly horrifying.

Supposedly an EQ in the FX loop works wonders.

I had the exact same experience you did, and sold it. The thing was just inaudible and muddy in a band environment, no matter what.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

magnificent7 posted:

I can somewhat understand going all audiophile over recording gear, but for playing live, I absolutely agree with you. Does this tubescreamer sound better than that tubescreamer? Maybe, but is anyone in the audience going to be able to tell the difference? gently caress no. Just buy what sounds good to you, get up there and rock the gently caress out.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

El Miguel posted:

Supposedly an EQ in the FX loop works wonders.

I had the exact same experience you did, and sold it. The thing was just inaudible and muddy in a band environment, no matter what.

I can vouch that an EQ in the FX loop does indeed work wonders. Currently I'm using a GE-7 in that capacity to make the amp not total poo poo. It's decent but I still would rather be able to afford an upgrade.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone know where one would usually buy DeOxit? I have a noisy pot on my bass head and I've been told the WD40 I have is not the way to go.

I'm sorry to be dense, but is weight an issue or not? You complain about the V4 being big, but I can't think of any all-tube head that would be noticeably smaller.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 18, 2011

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

TyChan posted:

Does anyone know where one would usually buy DeOxit? I have a noisy pot on my bass head and I've been told the WD40 I have is not the way to go.

I fixed a noisy wah pot with the teflon oil stuff I spray in my bike lock. Rocked it back and forth a few times and it's been fine since. It's probably not optimal, but it worked perfectly. I've heard of people using WD40 and getting good results. At least the pot will smell great if it doesn't work :)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Bananana posted:

Hey, I'm thinking about grabbing a VOX AC30C2 30W amp. What are the odds I can haggle with the folks at Guitar center? Anyone here think I'd have any luck if I showed up with cash and tried to work them down off the list price of $999?

From everything I've read, you should be able to get 10-15% off anything if you ask them for it. This weekend they are having a 15% off sale, go in and say you want one because you heard of the sale and need a new amp. Virtually every brand is excluded from the sale in the fine print, but I think that is just so people can't price match off them, and vice versa.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Stayne Falls posted:

I can vouch that an EQ in the FX loop does indeed work wonders. Currently I'm using a GE-7 in that capacity to make the amp not total poo poo. It's decent but I still would rather be able to afford an upgrade.

For what it's worth, I replaced it with a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12 + Garmopat customized VOX wah + Big Muff + Line 6 DL4, and I was very, very happy (I play in a spaghetti-western/post-punk kind of group). The DeVille was louder, clearer, and overall more beautiful--and when I wanted it to be, it was uglier than anything I ever got out of the Valvetronix amp.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Zakalwe posted:

I fixed a noisy wah pot with the teflon oil stuff I spray in my bike lock. Rocked it back and forth a few times and it's been fine since. It's probably not optimal, but it worked perfectly. I've heard of people using WD40 and getting good results. At least the pot will smell great if it doesn't work :)

Never use WD40. It is a penetrating lube (insert dick joke here) that will soften your carbon tracks and kill your pot faster.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey all

I've spotted a 6505 combo. I'm very try-before-buy and I haven't given it a shot yet, but on paper, it seems to suit me to a T. A few questions:

A) I play lead and I'm after a real smooth lead tone. I know the 6505 has a loving monstrous rythym tone but I dont know about leads. A Petrucci sorta smooth would be ideal. Is a 6505 more Dimebag than Petrucci?

B) I've got a Peavey Classic 30 which keeps blowing up. Are Peavey's unreliable or have I just managed to catch a lemon?

C) Volume is a concern hence I'm looking at the 1x12 combo. Are these things earth-shakers?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
A 6505/5150 is capable of an awesome soaring lead tone, it's the amp Eddie Van Halen helped design, and that's one thing he was known for. They provide almost infinite sustain with just the amp drive alone. Stick a good reverb/delay in the FX loop and you'll have a pretty killer lead tone.

Dime used Randalls are you probably know, which are mostly solid state and have a harsher distortion - the Peavey is all tube and much smoother in my opinion. I've heard people get Dime-level harshness from Mesas, and I think with abrasive enough EQ settings you could do it with a peaves. Funnily enough one of the closest approximations I've heard was a Dual Rectifier with a Boss Metalzone in front.

Petrucci uses Mesa Mark(IVs I think), in conjunction with a rack mounted multi-fx unit and a few assorted pedals. I've seen him play at a clinic with nothing more than a pair of triple rectifiers and a stereo delay though, and his tone was pretty smooth then.

A Mesa Mark/Rectifier will definitely get you the smooth tone you're after, as well as amazing versatility (3 channels with seperate EQing and multiple voicing circuits on each) but for a considerable price hike VS a Peavey. Keep in mind as well the 6505 isn't exactly praised for its clean tone, which(in my opinion) needs a lot of help from pedals to really sing. The way I like to describe them is "They're a one trick pony... But gently caress, what a trick." They're pretty easy to dial in too, a rectifier can take a while to really get your head around.

Edit: If you're looking for a quiet amp around the volume level of your classic 30, I'm not sure a 6505 would suit, they're 50 or 60 watt if I remember, which is going to be LOUD, even with 1x12

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 22, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I wanted to love the 6505 112 so much, but it was just too big, too loud, and nowhere near as versatile as I wanted. It doesn't have a clean tone at all.

I ended up getting a Mesa F30 1x12, and couldn't be happier.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
They're not that loud, but yeah definitely a little on the big side for a combo.

e: I was kinda disappointed with mine at first, the gain was kinda boxy and crap compared to my old block letter head. As soon as I switched out the preamp tubes it sounded like a normal 5150. I'm guessing the PI tube was the problem. Either that or Ruby tubes just suck.

cheap sunglasses fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 22, 2011

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

cheap sunglasses posted:

They're not that loud, but yeah definitely a little on the big side for a combo.

e: I was kinda disappointed with mine at first, the gain was kinda boxy and crap compared to my old block letter head. As soon as I switched out the preamp tubes it sounded like a normal 5150. I'm guessing the PI tube was the problem. Either that or Ruby tubes just suck.

The first 5150s had American made tubes. When they switched from the block-lettering, they also went with Ruby Tubes, the idea being that, while they weren't the best sounding, they could take a loving beating. That is why people seem to think that the block-letter 5150s sound better-they had better tubes, but no other components were different. JJ's are a good (comparable) swap to what they used to have.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
When I bought the head it had Tung-sols in the preamp and Sovteks in the poweramp, but it was like 10 years old at the time, so it'd be amazing if it hadn't been retubed. I have nothing to compare it with but it sounded right, so I haven't bothered to try anything different.

Incidentally I retubed my combo with JJs. I think it was just a bad tube in the preamp; none of them were microphonic and I didn't have any spares around to test individual ones.

Ackbarf posted:

Edit: If you're looking for a quiet amp around the volume level of your classic 30, I'm not sure a 6505 would suit, they're 50 or 60 watt if I remember, which is going to be LOUD, even with 1x12

Actually the 112 combo sounds half decent at bedroom levels. Obviously not as gnarly as it does loud but definitely better than 99% of practice amps.

cheap sunglasses fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 22, 2011

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

cheap sunglasses posted:

When I bought the head it had Tung-sols in the preamp and Sovteks in the poweramp, but it was like 10 years old at the time, so it'd be amazing if it hadn't been retubed. I have nothing to compare it with but it sounded right, so I haven't bothered to try anything different.

Incidentally I retubed my combo with JJs. I think it was just a bad tube in the preamp; none of them were microphonic and I didn't have any spares around to test individual ones.

Actually the 112 combo sounds half decent at bedroom levels. Obviously not as gnarly as it does loud but definitely better than 99% of practice amps.

The 5150 gets 90% of its distortion from the preamp-the power amp on it is actually really sterile sounding (biased really cold, hence the crap clean sound). I would actually use it as a bedroom amp before I would the Classic 30, which needs to be cranked a bit to get some life out of it.

(And that is coming from a person who would pick a Classic 30 any day of the week for gigging)

Colin Ex Machina
Oct 16, 2004
I adopted a highway.
I sucked it up and invested in an Acoustic B200h head and an Avatar 2x12 cabinet. Quite a step up from the combo I was using prior. Fuzz sounds incredible now.

Cumfartcocktails
Sep 18, 2010

What the other guy said about the Orange Thunderverb I only kinda agree with. It doesn't have a massive amount of gain from what I remember when I tried one out, so you'd need a tube screamer or something to giv eyou a boost if you want a big sludge sound. Thunderverbs do have amazing bottom end though.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Cumfartcocktails posted:

What the other guy said about the Orange Thunderverb I only kinda agree with. It doesn't have a massive amount of gain from what I remember when I tried one out, so you'd need a tube screamer or something to giv eyou a boost if you want a big sludge sound. Thunderverbs do have amazing bottom end though.
It has enough gain for Kyuss-levels of distortion, just not death metal.

I'd consider a Rocker-series Orange or the new Thunder-30 which apparently has more gain than any other Orange amp (according to their marketing claims, anyway).

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Zakalwe posted:

The WD-40 didn't work that well.

I ended up buying some Radio Shack house brand "Electronics Cleaner" that worked really well in getting rid of the weird noise on the detente volume pot. The cleaner is not petroleum based and it was substantially cheaper than De-Oxit too, so I think it all worked out to the good.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

TyChan posted:

The WD-40 didn't work that well.

I ended up buying some Radio Shack house brand "Electronics Cleaner" that worked really well in getting rid of the weird noise on the detente volume pot. The cleaner is not petroleum based and it was substantially cheaper than De-Oxit too, so I think it all worked out to the good.

That poo poo is just mineral oil-it doesn't do much (though you can use it to make yourself crap). Seriously........people, just use De-Oxit. It is a dielectric lube, and also cleans your pots/sliders through the naphtha that it is suspended in (which evaporates to leave no evil residue). The Radio Shack spray is just a dust trap, and WD40 will literally destroy your pots.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Professorbx posted:

That poo poo is just mineral oil-it doesn't do much (though you can use it to make yourself crap). Seriously........people, just use De-Oxit. It is a dielectric lube, and also cleans your pots/sliders through the naphtha that it is suspended in (which evaporates to leave no evil residue). The Radio Shack spray is just a dust trap, and WD40 will literally destroy your pots.

Are you sure you're thinking of the right spray? The stuff I used says it has only has Isohexane and Ethanol with CO2 as a propellant.

It's not the old Radio Shack TV Tuner Spray, which has mineral oil.

Anyway, the amp is working noiselessly now so I really have no complaints.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

TyChan posted:

Are you sure you're thinking of the right spray? The stuff I used says it has only has Isohexane and Ethanol with CO2 as a propellant.

It's not the old Radio Shack TV Tuner Spray, which has mineral oil.

Anyway, the amp is working noiselessly now so I really have no complaints.

I stand corrected, and think it is pretty damned swanky that Radio Shack now has a proper electronic cleaner spray.

Thank you for the correction. :glomp:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
What do people recommend as baby's first tube head? I don't need anything loud, as I'm still far away from playing guitar in a band (my primary instrument is bass). I'd like it to be pretty clean, but still be something that sounds good with a fuzz or an octave pedal going through it. So far I've been extremely tempted to pick up the Epiphone Valve Junior at my local Guitar Center for $100. I should probably mention that my current cabinet is an Ashdown 210T, but I figure I can just use an EQ pedal to help with the bassiness of playing a guitar through it.

e: I should say the Ashdown is 250W, 8 Ohms. Otherwise that AC4 looks really nice...

Manky fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 1, 2011

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You can probably get an AC4 (combo) on Ebay for $150. The head is identical except of course it doesn't have a speaker, but for some reason it's more expensive. They have a single 16 ohm output.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

are those tiny belt-wearable amplifiers good for anything at all? Even playing with headphones or using with some recording software?

Male on Sunday
Apr 2, 2010

by T. Finn
Has anyone got any experience with Roland's acoustic amps (AC series), thinking about buying an AC-33

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dolphins are gay posted:

are those tiny belt-wearable amplifiers good for anything at all? Even playing with headphones or using with some recording software?

I've only ever used a no-name bass headphone amp, but it worked well enough. It's not nearly as much fun as playing with an actual amp, even a really small one. But still, it's better than no amp at all!