Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Good luck, Papaya, I hope this is your month!

SassySally, how old are you? After coming off Mirena, which I was on for 2 years, I've had exactly one "normal" cycle and the rest have been crazy long--the longest was 80-something days, so 11 or 12 weeks, so I understand your frustration. However, since I was just shy of 24 when my husband and I started trying to conceive, my regular doctor wouldn't even refer me to an OB until a little over a year had gone by and I was still having crazy irregular cycles (and no pregnancy, of course). Unfortunately you might just have to wait it out, but you don't have to be idle--around month 8 of trying, my husband asked for a sperm analysis and even though we had to pay for it out of pocket, it helped, because when I finally went to the OB, we were able to immediately rule out any problems with his sperm. If you aren't already, try tracking your cycles using fertility awareness--I had 4 cycle's worth of tracking when I went into the OB and she happened to be a big advocate of fertility awareness so with a quick glance at my charts she was able to say, "Oh yes, you're definitely not ovulating, here let me show you why--" and she marked up my charts while explaining things to me. Basically, the sperm analysis and fertility charts gave us a bit of a head start in trying to determine why I'm having trouble conceiving. I hope you get pregnant before a year goes by, but if not, you're not alone and quite a few people from this thread have eventually graduated onto the Pregnancy thread :).

I have a question of my own--I've been using cheapie ovulation strips from Amazon each month, and I just realized I'm out. I'm on my last day of medroxyprogesterone, so hopefully my period comes in a few days and then I can get blood tests and start on my first round of Clomid :ohdear: . Anyway, my OB suggested I use "the expensive nice OPKs" for my Clomid cycles instead of the cheapies, and a combo of Amazon Prime and Suscribe & Save would let me get 20 Clearblue digital OPKs for $21, which isn't a bad deal at all. But are the Clearblues really more reliable than the cheap test strips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Banana Cat posted:

SassySally, how old are you?

I am 26 years old. I think the doctors take the fact that in high school (which was before the pill for me) I had very irregular periods. But they were sometimes very short (14 days!) or long (60ish days). So doctors don't want to have anything to do with me. But now they only tend on the long side.

Will doing all the charting really tell me anything when I'm not really having a cycle at all? What can it really show? What in the world is my body possibly doing?

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Banana Cat posted:

I have a question of my own--I've been using cheapie ovulation strips from Amazon each month, and I just realized I'm out. I'm on my last day of medroxyprogesterone, so hopefully my period comes in a few days and then I can get blood tests and start on my first round of Clomid :ohdear: . Anyway, my OB suggested I use "the expensive nice OPKs" for my Clomid cycles instead of the cheapies, and a combo of Amazon Prime and Suscribe & Save would let me get 20 Clearblue digital OPKs for $21, which isn't a bad deal at all. But are the Clearblues really more reliable than the cheap test strips?

I believe the cheapy ones on Amazon are medical grade. That being said, I've also read that the Clearblue OPKs aren't necessarily more reliable but if you have trouble deciphering if the test line is darker than the control line, then the Clearblue is easier to get a result from. That being said, the Clearblue also tests for estrogen as well as the LH so there's that. I do not think that the Clomid would have an affect on how the OPKs develop. If you wanted to get really scientificy, order some cheapo tests and the Clearblue digital and use them simultaneously to see if one is better than the other.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah, I think I'll just get both cheapies and Clearblue and see what happens. I don't think my doctor was implying that Clomid would have some sort of effect on the OPKs, it was more of a, "Well, we want to know FOR SURE that you are/aren't ovulating on Clomid, so use the tests that give you a definitive yes/no instead of squinting at colored lines." However, the couple of times I'm pretty sure I ovulated using the cheap tests, the tests were dark enough that there was no doubt they were positive, so I guess I was just wondering if anyone else had experience using both. I'll experiment and report back! ;)

SassySally, someone else can probably answer that question shorter and clearer than I can, but essentially there are tons of reasons why a woman may have irregular cycles, and tracking fertility signs can help diagnose why. Maybe you're just not ovulating at all, or maybe you are but your uterine lining is so thin that you don't get a period and can't get pregnant, or maybe you HAVE ovulated and conceived a few times but your luteal cycle was so short that you couldn't sustain the pregnancy and had a super-early miscarriage that you mistook as a period. As yawnie suggested, read "Taking Charge of Your Fertility"--I didn't read it until months after it was recommended to me, and I wish I had gotten it earlier. It goes really in-depth into menstrual cycles and fertility signs, but it's written in a way that's very accessible, and the author includes tons of real-life examples from her patients to illustrate her points.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

SassySally posted:

Will doing all the charting really tell me anything when I'm not really having a cycle at all? What can it really show? What in the world is my body possibly doing?

It may tell you nothing terribly interesting, but if you're like me, the science of it all is interesting and gives me peace of mind to get some hints into what my body is doing at any given point in my cycle. It is possible your body is gearing up to ovulate, but for whatever reason is unable to actually go through with it. If you were charting, you'd be able to tell that was happening by changes in your cervical fluid and positive ovulation tests, but you'd have no temperature shift. That's just one example. It can give you a peek into your body and what is going on. Or.. you could get flat temps, no change in your cervix, and negative tests. Some people find that stressful and infuriating and give up charting altogether. So you won't know until you try, but my point was only that it would give you something to do while you're waiting to get in to see a doctor, and your doctor might me able to recognize things on your chart that you wouldn't necessarily catch.

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!
I read TCoYF and it was pretty cool. I have been tracking my cycles for almost 3 years now and it's very neat to see the patterns that I have re: symptoms, lengths of each phase, ovulation, temperatures. I'd suggest charting because say you think you are ovulating, but don't really know for sure - I think most people have a temperature shift when they ovulate and if your temps are not all whacky then you should be able to see if they make that jump, and when. If you have cycles with crazy all over the place temps from day 1 to end of that cycle then maybe you are not ovulating at all, or you could have steady temps the whole time and never get a shift, or who knows what you will find.

It's just something to know about yourself to help you have some peace of mind or at least knowledge before doctors will do anything.

edit: I guess I kinda just reiterated what yawnie said but whatever :P

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
Thanks, everyone. I guess I'll start the charting stuff. I have a couple books a friend gave me, but when addressing irregular periods they pretty much say "it'll be tougher to get pregnant" and leave it at that. Nothing about if you go WAY too long without or anything like that. Basically- no help at all. Just the few replies I've already gotten have had so much more information than they did.

Thank you. It means a lot that someone is finally listening to me.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
I'm sure it's very frustrating. Luckily there are a LOT of women out there who suffer from the same worries and cycle problems that you have, and if you dig deep enough or look in the right places you WILL find support and lots of information. At the very least you can be put on medication to force your body to ovulate once you are able to go to the doctor, but in the meantime there are a lot of natural changes you can make to encourage ovulation and cycle regularity. If you google for "trying to conceive" forums, you will be subjected to a shitload of ~*baby dust*~ and retarded acronyms for normal words, but once you get past that you'll find a lot of people suffering from the same problems and lots of things they have found to help. I wish you lots of luck and I hope that your cycles will even out on their own. 7 years is a long time of birth control and it may just take your body a while to adjust, even though I know it's frustrating as hell to hear that :(

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

SassySally posted:

Thanks, everyone. I guess I'll start the charting stuff. I have a couple books a friend gave me, but when addressing irregular periods they pretty much say "it'll be tougher to get pregnant" and leave it at that. Nothing about if you go WAY too long without or anything like that. Basically- no help at all. Just the few replies I've already gotten have had so much more information than they did.

Thank you. It means a lot that someone is finally listening to me.

Then don't read those books. Seriously, go out and get Taking Control of Your Fertility. It has everything there. It's not just about charting, it's about learning the signs of your body. It also has an entire chapter dedicated to what would need to be done if you are experiencing problems conceiving. GO GET THE BOOK! You will not regret it, we all promise!

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
I personally found that using the cheapie Amazon ovulation strips were a lot more helpful than TCOYF. I could not keep up with doing a temperature check every morning at the same time on top of not seeing results that indicated ovulation, so it felt like A) I was doing it wrong B) it was pointless to do all this work if I wasn't ovulating. I am pretty in tune with what my body does as far as some of the other check methods, though I could see it being helpful for others.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.
I've heard that some people don't get good results with the ovulation strips, even when they should be getting strong positives.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
Yeah, people's bodies are so different that it varies wildly from one person to the next. I can see signs of my body ovulating in almost every way you're supposed to see it, including strong ovulation tests and very obvious tenderness from one of my ovaries. Technically I don't NEED to do the temping and charting because it's pretty clear when it's happening. But I'm a nerd and the science of it amazes me so I religiously temp and chart every last little thing :)

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

anythingbutbloo posted:

I've heard that some people don't get good results with the ovulation strips, even when they should be getting strong positives.

This was me. Even testing 2x a day I never got a positive, even on a month that I actually got pregnant.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

yawnie posted:

I can see signs of my body ovulating in almost every way you're supposed to see it, including strong ovulation tests and very obvious tenderness from one of my ovaries. Technically I don't NEED to do the temping and charting because it's pretty clear when it's happening. But I'm a nerd and the science of it amazes me so I religiously temp and chart every last little thing :)

This. I don't chart my temp because I don't necessarily wake up at the same time everyday so its not going to be super reliable. But I do use OPKs because, well, peeing on stuff is fun. I don't need to because I have all of the above, but I like to have a second opinion. I do make sure to record everything on my fertility friend calendar though just in case.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Longpig posted:

This was me. Even testing 2x a day I never got a positive, even on a month that I actually got pregnant.

Yeah, my test strips said the line needed to be darker than the control line, but mine were always really light. The month I got knocked up same thing, but we decided to try anyway. :fap:

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

Bahunter22 posted:

This. I don't chart my temp because I don't necessarily wake up at the same time everyday so its not going to be super reliable. But I do use OPKs because, well, peeing on stuff is fun. I don't need to because I have all of the above, but I like to have a second opinion. I do make sure to record everything on my fertility friend calendar though just in case.

This is basically what I was trying to say, except without the charting. Charting was just so incredibly frustrating for me, but I can also see how OPKs would be incredibly frustrating for those who didn't get clear results.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
The only thing OPKs really did for me was get me REALLY used to peeing on sticks (and on my hands, natch). I occasionally got reasonably dark lines, but mostly they were quite faint, despite me having all the other ovulation symptoms. May have been because I got the super-cheap Chinese OPKs.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

ok, so this is more information than I could ever imagine sharing with strangers..

We've been trying to conceive for two cycles.

My wife's next period is due in 5 days, today she woke up with a patch of blood on the sheets about the size of a wallet. She's never had irregular periods or anything like that, her's are like clockwork.

I did a little searching and it seems like it's either a miscarriage, cancer or implantation bleeding.

Has anyone else experienced between period bleeding without falling pregnant?

I'm wondering if she needs to get to a doctor or should we just wait for her period to arrive (or not) this weekend?

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

Whitey Ford posted:

ok, so this is more information than I could ever imagine sharing with strangers..

We've been trying to conceive for two cycles.

My wife's next period is due in 5 days, today she woke up with a patch of blood on the sheets about the size of a wallet. She's never had irregular periods or anything like that, her's are like clockwork.

I did a little searching and it seems like it's either a miscarriage, cancer or implantation bleeding.

Has anyone else experienced between period bleeding without falling pregnant?

I'm wondering if she needs to get to a doctor or should we just wait for her period to arrive (or not) this weekend?

Unless something is obviously wrong (like she's super sick or something), doctors can't do anything if it was a miscarriage at this point (which I'm not sure they would even confirm, but I may be wrong about that), so a doctor's visit is likely not necessary. If the only problem is the small amount of bleeding, they would likely tell her to wait and take a pregnancy test once she's missed her period.

Also, isn't internet searching terrifying... cancer :rolleyes:

If it makes you feel better, you can try calling a doctor and seeing what they say.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Thanks for your reply, I was thinking I should call Loveline :woop:

She's not sick at all, I don't think we have doctors you can just call in Australia.

In terms of a miscarriage, she took a pregnancy test the day before this happened, hoping for a Valentine's day surprise. It was negative, so it's probably unlikely that we conceived and then miscarried to this extent, but it was too early in the cycle for the test to detect anything so I don't really know.

This is about the limit of my knowledge of human biology so please feel free to educate me on any misconceptions I have.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
It sounds like a lot of blood for implantation, but if that's what it was, she may get a positive preg test in the next day or so. If you decide not to go to the doctor, I would test again in 24-48 hours.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
It may well be implantation bleeding. It could also be something random -- bodies start doing weird things when you're trying to conceive. 5 days pre-period is quite early to test, so it's not surprising that nothing showed up on the pregnancy test.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Whitey Ford posted:

In terms of a miscarriage, she took a pregnancy test the day before this happened, hoping for a Valentine's day surprise. It was negative, so it's probably unlikely that we conceived and then miscarried to this extent, but it was too early in the cycle for the test to detect anything so I don't really know.

This is about the limit of my knowledge of human biology so please feel free to educate me on any misconceptions I have.

I wasn't too far along in my pregnancy, maybe a couple weeks, when I miscarried. Sorry if its TMI, but there was a large amount of blood that was non stop for a couple of days and then on and off for a month. It was also very painful physically with cramps, headaches and nausea.

Everyone is different though. Your wife could just have implantation bleeding, or it could just be that its a precursor to her actual period. At any rate, I wouldn't contact a doctor until she gets sick or has missed her period completely. I know a couple of days seems like forever for this kind of information, but hopefully a positive pregnancy test is on the horizon for you two!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 3 month full time contract is up next week, but I found out they can't bring me on permanent yet so I'll be starting another 3 month contract and hopefully at the end of that I'll be brought on permanently meaning 3 months after that I'll have health insurance again :sigh:

It blows because I feel like I'm running out of fertility time.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

yawnie posted:

It sounds like a lot of blood for implantation, but if that's what it was, she may get a positive preg test in the next day or so.
Yes it does seem to be way too much from what I have read, most women report barely any discharge at all. Though I've read women talking about a "heavy" flow from implantation bleeding, but I wonder if the cause in their cases was actually something else.

slinkimalinki posted:

5 days pre-period is quite early to test, so it's not surprising that nothing showed up on the pregnancy test.
True, which is why we're not putting too much importance on that result.

Bahunter22 posted:

I wasn't too far along in my pregnancy, maybe a couple weeks, when I miscarried. Sorry if its TMI, but there was a large amount of blood that was non stop for a couple of days and then on and off for a month. It was also very painful physically with cramps, headaches and nausea.
This is why I asked. If she did have a miscarriage, we could only have conceived barely a week ago. I know next to nothing about what happens during a miscarriage and if this event fits the symptoms.

Time will tell I guess :shobon:

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!
Okay I think I finally understand the obsessive agony of a two week wait.

Last 2 tests I took (7dpo, 9dpo) were stark white blank negatives. Today's test at 11dpo is def different. Evap, a deeper crease where the line should be so it casts a shadow, or a faint positive, I have no idea. I even gave a negative test and today's test to my husband and asked him to look at them (in case I'm a retarded overwhelmed female) and he said hey this one has a line.

Interesting! Can't wait to see what Thursday and the blood test Saturday bring. Still trying not to get hopes up and all but damnit this doesn't help :P

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
Maybe try a digital test? Sometimes if the line is really faint, the HCG isn't strong enough for a digi to pick up, but at the same time I've also seen pretty faint lines result in a very clear "Pregnant". Either way, good luck! If you want to post a picture, I'll gladly obsess over your pee stick with you ;)

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

yawnie posted:

If you want to post a picture, I'll gladly obsess over your pee stick with you ;)

I think we all would, lol! Crossing my fingers for you!

LizaAbeja
Jul 3, 2007
If you don't expect too much from me, you might not be let down.

Papaya posted:

Okay I think I finally understand the obsessive agony of a two week wait.

Last 2 tests I took (7dpo, 9dpo) were stark white blank negatives. Today's test at 11dpo is def different. Evap, a deeper crease where the line should be so it casts a shadow, or a faint positive, I have no idea. I even gave a negative test and today's test to my husband and asked him to look at them (in case I'm a retarded overwhelmed female) and he said hey this one has a line.

Interesting! Can't wait to see what Thursday and the blood test Saturday bring. Still trying not to get hopes up and all but damnit this doesn't help :P

This JUST happened to me too! Last night I had to tell my hubby to look at the stick to see if I was seeing things. I figured I'd take another test in the morning after a good night sleep, hoping for a higher concentration of HCG. I woke up at 5:30am and was too eager to go back to sleep. Took the test and the line was definitely there. Two more tests at work (different brands to be sure) and I'm thinking it's real! Crazy!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Papaya, and for me! Good luck!

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

lol I feel vaguely like I'm back on MDC what with posting pee stick pictures.

I sent this same set to my obsessive crazy psycho friend and she's like OMG THAT IS TOTALLY NOT AN EVAP IT'S A LINE USE ANOTHER TEST TOMORROW I HAVE TO KNOW IF IT'S DARKER AAAAH

So whatever. I took this with my DSLR and only edited the curves in photoshop to make it clearer, the line/not-line is just as visible in an unedited one as edited (if the lighting is good, obvs). Here you can also see the fade from the trigger shot :)

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Papaya posted:

I sent this same set to my obsessive crazy psycho friend and she's like OMG THAT IS TOTALLY NOT AN EVAP IT'S A LINE USE ANOTHER TEST TOMORROW I HAVE TO KNOW IF IT'S DARKER AAAAH

So whatever. I took this with my DSLR and only edited the curves in photoshop to make it clearer, the line/not-line is just as visible in an unedited one as edited (if the lighting is good, obvs). Here you can also see the fade from the trigger shot :)

Yeah, I see something there without even having to squint. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Also, congrats LizaAbeja!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Papaya posted:

I see something!! :O :D

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Me too! Congrats!!!

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
It's there! and it's even got some color!

I'd be peeing on a new stick every 12 hours. You have some amazing self restraint :)

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Hooray Papaya and Liza!

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

It's not over until it's over for me. I just cannot get excited. We'll see what tomorrow's looks like :)

LizaAbeja
Jul 3, 2007
If you don't expect too much from me, you might not be let down.
So how soon do you all plan on telling your parents once you get prego? We're pretty close to our parents, and I can't imagine waiting much longer to tell them, but then we haven't even confirmed a heartbeat (another 3 weeks for that). So what do you all think? I know it'll be different for each person, but I'd love to hear some good reasons for either way. Thanks!

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Papaya posted:

It's not over until it's over for me. I just cannot get excited. We'll see what tomorrow's looks like :)

Papaya--Hope todays test was darker--I'm crossing my fingers for you!

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

LizaAbeja posted:

So how soon do you all plan on telling your parents once you get prego? We're pretty close to our parents, and I can't imagine waiting much longer to tell them, but then we haven't even confirmed a heartbeat (another 3 weeks for that). So what do you all think? I know it'll be different for each person, but I'd love to hear some good reasons for either way. Thanks!

I've had 3 lost pregnancies and told my parents/immediate family/close friends straight away.

They're the same people who were there for me when I lost the pregnancies, so I saw no reason that they shouldn't share in my joy (albeit brief in hindsight).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

LizaAbeja posted:

I told a couple of people I worked with right away, mostly so that they'd know what to expect. I told my best friend and grandmother (two closest people) almost right away, mostly because I knew they'd be good support if something were to happen. We told my husband's mother and family overseas when I was about 5 months along so they could start planning visits from AU. We told everyone else after the first trimester was over. I'd had a previous pregnancy loss early on so that was a big determining factor in when we told people.

• Locked thread