Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
No advisabuh foh tourish to vishit the canaws a naight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I was awalkinn heere!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

orange lime posted:

Told ya she hosed him.

[e]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VroLwbhgzQg
Don't believe her lies.

Who is Maggie Chan?

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
My favorite line of dialog is still a tossup between "I SPEEL MY DRINK!" and JC's little "Sure..." when you're talking to the Aussie girls in front of the Lucky Money.

That club is so awesome.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Hogburto posted:

Don't believe her lies.

Who is Maggie Chan?

Chan, Chen, they're probably the same word with different transliterations.

(My mistake)

VVV christ, what's wrong with me? I kept thinking "that doesn't sound quite right" but couldn't figure out why. Doesn't help that a bunch of other people got it wrong as well so googling it gives positive results.

Well, in my defense, I usually killed her within 2 minutes of meeting her because her maid was a nosy bitch and started shooting me when I went looking for the bathroom.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 17, 2011

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

orange lime posted:

Chan, Chen, they're probably the same word with different transliterations.

(My mistake)

Except it's Maggie Chow?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Needs to be a JC Tenton version of :goonsay:

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Hard Clumping posted:

I.. :stare:

This got me thinking if there would be a way to make a "JC turns around and stares at the sky" emoticon. Or even just a static shot of him looking up. I can think of a lot of situations I'd use it in.

I... I..

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cheezymadman posted:

JC's little "Sure..." when you're talking to the Aussie girls in front of the Lucky Money.

Yer sew bad ;-*

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Thanks fer gettin me in

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Iggles posted:

Fanks fer gettin me in

You're too generous.

Dr_Fever
Apr 28, 2008

Iggles posted:

Thanks fer gettin me in

My first playthrough, I payed the cover for these girls. Then, when they got killed in the MJ12 raid, I looted her corpse and found out she was loaded. Last time I fall for that trick, bitch.

I still give people the 'Suuuurrre...' when they thank me for something though. They have no idea I'm quoting JC.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
'What a shame' is one of my most commonly used phrases. I don't even realise until after I've said it.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Jive One posted:

Someone waaay earlier in the thread mentioned a (secret?) southern section to the Ocean Lab level.

It's right after you use the mini-sub. You swim out through the sub bay doors to the right. You should see a hole in the side of the building. I think the key for the storage room near the Karkian cages is in there.

Jive One posted:

Also in Maggie Chow's apartment tower, there is a small door panel that you see as you take the elevator up to her apartment.

That would be the elevator door for the floor under construction.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Is there any way to get the guy who mistakes you for Paul in a Hong Kong bar to open up? In every playthrough I've done, he bolts once he realizes I'm not Paul.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Derek Dominoe posted:

Is there any way to get the guy who mistakes you for Paul in a Hong Kong bar to open up? In every playthrough I've done, he bolts once he realizes I'm not Paul.

Just keep talking to him over and over, and when you get the option, threaten him. Something like "if I was here for the plans, you're already dead, so start talking."

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Was there ever anything really special to the Versalife floor plans you can buy from him? 2000 credits seems like a waste.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I have no memory of what you guys are talking about.
*sigh* Time for another run-through.

:dance:

And gonna try to find the way I got through the vents to the secure area of Versalife without knowing the code. I've done it twice, but the last time or couple times I couldn't figure it out.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Was there ever anything really special to the Versalife floor plans you can buy from him? 2000 credits seems like a waste.

The utterly horrible in-game economy is probably one of the few complaints I have towards Deus Ex; your first time around you end up dropping serious money on worthless items (Smuggler's one-use night vision goggles :argh:) and then every other time you have more money than things to really spend it on. Case in point, spending 2000 credits for a worthless map of an area from a guy standing right near the end of that particular map.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dr_Fever posted:

My first playthrough, I payed the cover for these girls. Then, when they got killed in the MJ12 raid, I looted her corpse and found out she was loaded. Last time I fall for that trick, bitch.

the leather fetish door lady has a ridiculous amount of money on her too, iirc

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The utterly horrible in-game economy is probably one of the few complaints I have towards Deus Ex; your first time around you end up dropping serious money on worthless items (Smuggler's one-use night vision goggles :argh:) and then every other time you have more money than things to really spend it on. Case in point, spending 2000 credits for a worthless map of an area from a guy standing right near the end of that particular map.

The only thing I buy on playthroughs now are weapon mods. When you come back from Hong Kong and visit Smuggler, he offers you an assault shotgun for something ridiculous like 7500. If I never bought anything up to that point then I might be able to afford the item that is easily looted off enemy bodies.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

orange lime posted:

Just keep talking to him over and over, and when you get the option, threaten him. Something like "if I was here for the plans, you're already dead, so start talking."

Not worth it at all. It's a floorplan that you'll never look at because the area you can access is as intuitive as it gets.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I think that money was one of the few things that didn't get fleshed out completely; not counting poo poo like soda machines, there's maybe a dozen chances to buy stuff, and at least half are worthless. IIRC, the last one is in Paris, which is only 2/3 of the way through. Yet another thing TNM does right.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Walton Simons posted:

'What a shame' is one of my most commonly used phrases. I don't even realise until after I've said it.

You must be one ugly son-of-a-bitch.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Gynovore posted:

I think that money was one of the few things that didn't get fleshed out completely; not counting poo poo like soda machines, there's maybe a dozen chances to buy stuff, and at least half are worthless. IIRC, the last one is in Paris, which is only 2/3 of the way through. Yet another thing TNM does right.

Why are you guys spending your score on soda and night-vision goggles?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Chunderbucket posted:

I'm not, I'm investing it in upgrades for my GEP gun tactical lockpick.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Chunderbucket posted:

Never know when I might come up against hunger pangs. Give me the candy bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7tRYj-Y6qI

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gynovore posted:

IIRC, the last one is in Paris, which is only 2/3 of the way through.
Hobos at the gas station.

quote:

Yet another thing TNM does right.
Huh? Do you get a chance to buy poo poo after you fly away?

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

CaptainWinky posted:

Anna Navarre: You're going to eat a chocolate bar with your type II diabetes?
JC Denton: My blood sugar level is augmented.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
So I still can't figure out how to sneak into the Cathedral. I remember doing it with cheats every other time I've played through, but I want to do this run legit. Any ideas? I can't kill that big bot without setting off alarms, and I don't have enough lockpicks to open the door under the walkway with the patrolling MJ12 trooper.

This bit here:

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
When you first come up from the sewer in that level there's an apartment to your upper left. In there is a useful key and the ability to snip some people from the street. Other stuff like money is there too. That key should get you in that door... usually, guys run out of it and open it for me though. Anyway, the key should save you some lockpicks.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Disable the alarm with multitools?

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Cheezymadman posted:

So I still can't figure out how to sneak into the Cathedral. I remember doing it with cheats every other time I've played through, but I want to do this run legit. Any ideas? I can't kill that big bot without setting off alarms, and I don't have enough lockpicks to open the door under the walkway with the patrolling MJ12 trooper.

This bit here:

You can probably get the guards to open the door for you if you catch their attention and stand next to the door, just have to be ready to take them out as they walk through. I think there's a terminal at the end of the bridge that can disable the bot, too.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
I lost track of the thread for a while last year, did you guys ever discuss this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cEg5Xo7VFU

Apparently there was originally an option to stay loyal to UNATCO, and it was developed to the point that there was dialogue recorded for it and the conversation files remained in copies of the game.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Hard Clumping posted:

I lost track of the thread for a while last year, did you guys ever discuss this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cEg5Xo7VFU

Apparently there was originally an option to stay loyal to UNATCO, and it was developed to the point that there was dialogue recorded for it and the conversation files remained in copies of the game.

I had never heard of this, thought "that's cool" and then I clicked one of the related videos and my mind was blown. You can sneak past the hostages in Battery Park and skip straight to Hell's Kitchen and Paul acknowledges what you've done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEn-g8s6qEw&NR=1

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

CaptainWinky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4orTvfvdz8

This one is even better.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Gadzuko posted:

I had never heard of this, thought "that's cool" and then I clicked one of the related videos and my mind was blown. You can sneak past the hostages in Battery Park and skip straight to Hell's Kitchen and Paul acknowledges what you've done:

This is what I do every game. Same with killing Anna without being prompted. The amount of shock Paul and Alex show constitutes some of the strongest emotion in the game.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Xander77 posted:

Hobos at the gas station.

I usually use them for target practice :laugh:

Xander77 posted:

I was referring to the huge weapon store where you can buy almost anything.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Xander77 posted:

There's an Ammo Vending Machine in the ABI Cathedral, but I don't think there's anything in the final area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

I ended up doing this by accident during my first playthrough and didn't know it was "hidden." I seem to recall rescuing the hostages but not waiting long enough for them to get onto the subway car, which the game decided to interpret as me failing to rescue the hostages. I ended up reloading after Paul yelled at me, but I didn't know it was "secret" dialogue.