Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

moker posted:

Are you on the HMCS Victoria? Our sub visited BC one year in 2007 or so and I met a few of the crewmembers(I think it was in the docks at the time)...the only one I remember was some cook with full sleeves who I'm pretty sure was drunk as hell

No, I'm HMCS Corner Brook right now, but if rumor holds I will be heading over to the Vicky later this year to eventually assume the CSE HOD position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

Lt. Jebus posted:

No, I'm HMCS Corner Brook right now, but if rumor holds I will be heading over to the Vicky later this year to eventually assume the CSE HOD position.

Was it a really big deal aboard when some frigates didn't return your compliments when you sailed out a couple weeks ago?

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Submariners care about compliments?

Also, I forget his nickname, but Rob (NCIOp) is doing the same mission in AFG that I will be in July. He's quite the character.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Just finished SQ out in Wainwright. It's a pretty fun course when all is said and done. My section commander was this PPCLI sargeant who just didn't give a gently caress about rules. He chewed tobacco in class and was basically chill as gently caress. One of the staff was a huge nazi looking for reasons to write people up, and he was a bit of a pain in the rear end, but the rest of my staff was awesome. We got our weekends off and were allowed to go into Wainwright officially, but unofficially could go wherever the hell we wanted. A bunch of guys went into Edmonton and Red Deer. It owned. I got to see my girlfriend in Saskatoon and on the last day the warrant let me gently caress off early as long as I made my flight so I got to get a hotel room then drive to the airport the next day at noon instead of having to take the DND bus at 3 am. Warrant, you're the man.

We fired the M-72 with 21mm inserts, the whole Wainwright SQ firing live rockets is just a myth. It was kind of stupid since they apparently fly completely different than the real thing. The first 2 weeks of SQ are dry as gently caress but if you have good staff they make it interesting. C6 and C9 drills are easy as gently caress and exactly the same as each other. Grenades are fun but you spend a day learning them when you can learn literally all there is to know in maybe a half hour. The field was goddamn cold. When I was on trench sentry at 3am it dropped down to -40. Not fun at all, but the opey dopey artic mits work like a charm. Awesome piece of kit. As long as your section is good to go, which mine was, the field portion is really easy and fun. Just dig trenches, stand in trenches and do a couple recces and it's done.

Samu fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 14, 2011

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Might've been cold, but at least you didn't get to break your ankle on loving ruts in Meaford.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lassitude posted:

Might've been cold, but at least you didn't get to break your ankle on loving ruts in Meaford.

gently caress ankles, I've broken ML axles on those things. It's also the only place I've seen a gun tractor decide it was a gymnast with a crew in the back, too.

(Enroute to a position, tractor tipped sideways on uneven terrain, I really shouldn't joke about it because there were some serious injuries when the equipment and crew took a tumble. One kid got cold-clocked by a 60lb steel gun-box)

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Yeah, but it's not the first time they've flipped like that. A number of years ago an the LS pulling the CP jackknifed going down one of the hill roads, the ML behind it was at the very top and starting to go down when the driver saw it and tried to stop but the wheels lost traction and started sliding too until he decided it was better to put it into the snowbank than ram the other vehicle. Nobody got hurt but it flipped the gun.

In this particular case that you're refering it was the Regiment I was in. I wasn't there, I had to pass on going on the exercise because of various stuff to deal with. The road was muddy where they were doing the turn and the gun fishtailed, yanking the ML off the road. Serious injuries as you mentioned, and one fatality.

It still feels like a fist around my heart to think of it, and constantly think I should've been there for my friends, possibly even have prevented it since I normally drove that particular gun and tractor.

It's kind of like not going on a trip you originally planed or arrived late for a flight, and then later learning that it crashed.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Vadoc posted:

Yeah, but it's not the first time they've flipped like that. A number of years ago an the LS pulling the CP jackknifed going down one of the hill roads, the ML behind it was at the very top and starting to go down when the driver saw it and tried to stop but the wheels lost traction and started sliding too until he decided it was better to put it into the snowbank than ram the other vehicle. Nobody got hurt but it flipped the gun.

In this particular case that you're refering it was the Regiment I was in. I wasn't there, I had to pass on going on the exercise because of various stuff to deal with. The road was muddy where they were doing the turn and the gun fishtailed, yanking the ML off the road. Serious injuries as you mentioned, and one fatality.

It still feels like a fist around my heart to think of it, and constantly think I should've been there for my friends, possibly even have prevented it since I normally drove that particular gun and tractor.

It's kind of like not going on a trip you originally planed or arrived late for a flight, and then later learning that it crashed.

drat, dude. I heard about that incident too, that was Pet, right? With 30FD? Basically after that happened it came down the line that we shouldn't be doing any stupid angles trying to get to positions...but of course, in Meaford, that's just not going to happen. The one I was talking about happened about 4 years ago, I was doing Ammo/Salvage and I was in line behind 25C, I guess the driver swerved to avoid a pot-hole, went onto an embankment and tipped. Lucky there were no really bad injuries, just concussions and cuts.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

MA-Horus posted:

drat, dude. I heard about that incident too, that was Pet, right? With 30FD? Basically after that happened it came down the line that we shouldn't be doing any stupid angles trying to get to positions...but of course, in Meaford, that's just not going to happen. The one I was talking about happened about 4 years ago, I was doing Ammo/Salvage and I was in line behind 25C, I guess the driver swerved to avoid a pot-hole, went onto an embankment and tipped. Lucky there were no really bad injuries, just concussions and cuts.

Yeah, 30FD in Pet.

Man, I can't remember most of the ex's been on, or if I was in that ex too and just forgot. Kind of funny how we work with high explosives, but the danger is really just being in the back of the truck when we're on the move.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

I spoke with a recruiter yesterday about joining up as a Marine Systems Engineering officer (or possibly NCS engineering officer). He told me that those two positions actually have spots available even though basically everything else is closed right now. He said that they have trouble filling these positions in particular because they don't get many applicants with an applicable degree, and because many of them are hired away by private companies once their first contract ends. That sounds great, but I have to wonder if they have trouble keeping the slots filled because no one wants to keep the job.

I've tried to look around the army.ca forums, but I can't find much talk about MSE officer. The recruitment guy I talked with didn't know much about what the job would actually be like other than what is posted on the website. Anyone here know anything more about it?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

I'm a sub-surface NCS Engineer, and both HammerofHope and The Amputee House are trainee NCS Engineers.

Its hard to keep people in the job not because its a terribly difficult or odious job (Its not) but because Private companies pay more and frankly once you are past your Head of Department [at-sea] phase (typically within 5-6 of commissioning) you won't be doing any sailing and thus there is little difference in what you will be doing vs someone in the civilian sector.

MS Eng is similar in career path and training requirements, the only difference is the equipment that you specialize in, and that [in the surface world] MS engineers focus more on Damage Control and drills than their NCS counterparts.

If you have any specific questions feel free to fire away.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

Cool, thanks for the reply. I do have a couple questions:

Any particular reason you chose NCS over MS?

I read somewhere that DEOs often struggle through the training for positions like these because their education didn't completely prepare them for it. Is there any truth to that? The recruiter said my degree (basically Comp Sci + Math) fell under Acceptable, but not Preferred.

I've got an idea of what both positions are from watching the videos, etc. off of the website, but they really only seem to cover the early stages of the career. You mentioned that after the at-sea phase the work is similar to the civilian sector, but what would you be doing in either case?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Well, most of the people I know chose MS or CS simply based on what their engineering field is. Electrical and Computer (Software or Hardware) typically went CS, while Mechanical goes MS. Civil and Chemical Engineers are equally [un]qualified for either job, and most around when I joined ended up in MS. Frankly I know a few people who chose MS simply because it includes (Included? Not sure if its still done) 6 months in the UK at HMS Sultan. Very shortsighted way to chose but there you go. Course' It was easier back in my day because you joined as a 44U (untrained), and could choose either MS(44B) or CS(44C) as you went along in your training, because they were technically sub specialties within the same trade.

Letting Science majors in is a more recent thing, I know when I joined it was engineering only. You will do extra courses in your training to bring you up to the basic level of engineering knowledge required. At least that was the normal course of action when I was going through training. Its not particularly difficult, and I really wouldn't worry.

In both occupations your first three to four years will be training (two of which will be at sea), culminating in you getting your Head of Department qualification and getting on the list to go back to sea as a HOD. The challenges associated with the HOD position are mostly management and personnel related. Don't join either job expecting to actually work on equipment, you're a manager.

Post HOD you'll most likely be posted to Ottawa to work in one of the many many engineering jobs located on the Hull side of the river. Hope you like Project Management, because thats our bread and butter after your sea time.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Well, my parents have told me there's a large envelope from my CO waiting at home. It's either papers saying that I'm official in the supplimental reserves, or it's a picture of goatse in a frame with the CO giving me the finger. They were really, really keen on giving me "unfit for further duty" discharge, and if they did it...well, I'll raise poo poo, even on the wrong side of the ocean.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

Lt. Jebus posted:

NCS/MS stuff

I believe people in MS go to the UK for 4 months now.

I'm actually in, and enjoying, a Project Management course right now so that's good to hear. On the website it says that the Forces will fully fund your Masters degree in certain fields (Underwater Acoustics for example). How frequently does that happen?

Again, thanks for the info.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Freeze posted:

I'm actually in, and enjoying, a Project Management course right now so that's good to hear. On the website it says that the Forces will fully fund your Masters degree in certain fields (Underwater Acoustics for example). How frequently does that happen?

Again, thanks for the info.

There are generally two ways to go about getting your masters while you are in; the first is part time, through an accredited distance education program. This has the advantage of you being able to pick whatever you want (MBA being by far the most popular amongst engineers like myself who have no real desire to get back into an engineering masters), and the disadvantage of you having to work a regular job and juggle your courses. The military will give you up to 30 days of academic leave a year, in order to attend seminars and such.

The other way is to apply to a sponsored master program. The message comes out once a year with a list of all the post grad options available, and you can apply for whatever one you want. The advantage is that if you are selected, the program becomes your full time job and you get a free move to whatever city holds the school you are going to (a friend of mine just got accepted to the space science centre at the university of Tenassee). The downside being that you are limited to whatever post grad programs the military requires at the time and competition for the more popular programs (MBA) can be feirce. As well, each program has a job associated with it that you must fill upon grad, which can be in lovely locations ( my buddy has to work in cold lake for 2-3 years)

As for when, you can do the first option whenever, and typically the second option is either done after your a/HOD training while you are waiting for a boat to open up for HOD, or, far more often right after your HOD phase is done.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

Freeze posted:

Yeah, it's about 4 months, plus 3 weeks of extra leave and some time for "industrial tours" in a European country of your choosing. It's really a paid vacation, pretty sweet until you start the actual training and realise you hate the job.

what son what
Nov 6, 2008

what son what fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 31, 2011

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
Hey, Simkin, I am already hearing stories about either you or one of your companions there. Did one of you really come to attention at the office of a completely unrelated Cpl when clearing in recently?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Ha. It's possible, but it certainly nothing that's made its way back to me yet. Judging from the fact that if it was the other guy that joined the 1st with me I would have heard of it ... pretty much instantly, I'm going to have to assume that it was one of the guys over at the 3rd.

Looking forward to Desert Ram, even though I have no clue what my role on it will be. Woooo AO.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

Morristron posted:

Hey, Simkin, I am already hearing stories about either you or one of your companions there. Did one of you really come to attention at the office of a completely unrelated Cpl when clearing in recently?

Hahahaha. Someone's still in course mode!

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

Simkin posted:

Ha. It's possible, but it certainly nothing that's made its way back to me yet. Judging from the fact that if it was the other guy that joined the 1st with me I would have heard of it ... pretty much instantly, I'm going to have to assume that it was one of the guys over at the 3rd.

Looking forward to Desert Ram, even though I have no clue what my role on it will be. Woooo AO.

The dude in question is certainly not in the 3rd. :P These stories do tend to be exaggerated to make people look dumber than usual, though, so it might be a bit overblown. Funny, though.

I should really figure out which one you are. For my own amusement.

On another note, gently caress Desert Ram entirely.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Well, I'm not the new 2Lt (woooo promotion with no extra responsibility or pay raise). I'd heard a story about the whole 'coming to attention when entering the office of a clerk/corporal/random NCM' thing before I'd even made it the base, so :confused:

I'm sure you're of the same mindset in hoping to gently caress that we don't end up on Maple Guardian immediately following Desert Ram.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
Hell, I'd rather we didn't even Desert Ram in the first place. Or Iron Patricia for that matter. We're not putting together a tour that needs those excersises and our budget doesn't have room for it. Also, I'm a whiny bitch who hates the cold, so I'm biased in that way too.

Oh well, field is field, and the reasons for just about everything in the army is usually effed up anyways, so really I'm just tilting at windmills.

Toastershark
Dec 4, 2006

The breakfast feeding-frenzy.
Reserve MCpl checking in from Thunder Bay, putting in my CT for the Regs this summer wooo

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

Toastershark posted:

Reserve MCpl checking in from Thunder Bay, putting in my CT for the Regs this summer wooo

Have fun waiting for 4 years for it to go through. If you want it anytime soon you should be doing it right away

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Well this is it. My last week on PAT, course starts Friday. Can't wait to get off CF welfare and on with my god drat life.

Toastershark
Dec 4, 2006

Elgar posted:

Have fun waiting for 4 years for it to go through. If you want it anytime soon you should be doing it right away

Ouch is it really that bad right now?

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

Toastershark posted:

Ouch is it really that bad right now?

From all the Cpls, and MCpls I have seen but that has been majority combat arms, what trade are you? Is your trade actually accepting transfers, or is it open?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Morristron posted:

I do this regularly to the Sgt in charge of Infantry PATs. He's not exactly unrelated but everyone else just walks in. :D

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

tuyop posted:

I do this regularly to the Sgt in charge of Infantry PATs. He's not exactly unrelated but everyone else just walks in. :D

Speaking of, what ever happened to WO Turpin? I've never met the man and his shadow still looms over the Battalion.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Hahaha maple defender jesus christ I can only hope that hilariously lovely ex is something slightly better then MD1 because holy christ what a poo poo-show that was.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just got locked out of the back of the mess in Gagetown and I thought I was going to die trekking to the front door to grab my stuff. Those poor people in the field right now.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

tuyop posted:

I just got locked out of the back of the mess in Gagetown and I thought I was going to die trekking to the front door to grab my stuff. Those poor people in the field right now.

Jesus it's cold today. At least the americans have ton and tons of hefty winter kit.

Is it just me or are there a lot more officers in gagetown than usual? I saw a lt. Col in the mess today and walked by an entire ghillied up 2lt course this morning. They're loving everywhere.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

Jesus it's cold today. At least the americans have ton and tons of hefty winter kit.

Is it just me or are there a lot more officers in gagetown than usual? I saw a lt. Col in the mess today and walked by an entire ghillied up 2lt course this morning. They're loving everywhere.

I bet the Americans still have freezing cold feet and hands though.

There's some kind of attractive female captain convention here right now. The mess has been full of them for a couple of weeks. The 2Lt course is one of the Arty officer phases I'm pretty sure. I saw an AckIG (not sure how they spell it) with the silly hat and a balaclava walking around while they were using those surveyor things yesterday.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

and walked by an entire ghillied up 2lt course this morning.

hahaha what

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I'm not even kidding they all had these stupid helmet covers that looked like they got them at CP gear and the same type of camo poo poo on their tac vests formed up with rucksacks on outside of the shacks on the way to J10 this morning.

I saw the balaclava silly hat guy yesterday on my way to Timmies. Officers are strange.

Samu fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 4, 2011

Toastershark
Dec 4, 2006

Elgar posted:

From all the Cpls, and MCpls I have seen but that has been majority combat arms, what trade are you? Is your trade actually accepting transfers, or is it open?

I'm currently a Med Tech and I'm hoping to CT as an AESOp.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

I'm not even kidding they all had these stupid helmet covers that looked like they got them at CP gear and the same type of camo poo poo on their tac vests formed up with rucksacks on outside of the shacks on the way to J10 this morning.

I saw the balaclava silly hat guy yesterday on my way to Timmies. Officers are strange.

If it was a white silly hat it was actually a warrant or sergeant. The officer hats are green and somehow look less silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

tuyop posted:

If it was a white silly hat it was actually a warrant or sergeant. The officer hats are green and somehow look less silly.

The NCM hats are Navy Peak Caps with a cover over them, while the officer ones are special ordered from the UK ( at the members expense)... They are like a few hundred dollars.

(I have two really good friends that are both IG's in gagetown)